cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: iOS: Music Stops After Ad Plays using AirPlay

davidacox
Opening Act

I have a similar problem (or it may be the same problem, but with an additional observation). My airplay stream will work fine until a commercial break happens. The commercials play properly, but when the music is supposed to start, the player on my phone shows that things are working properly, but no audio is sent to the airplay device. If I leave it in that state, the audio will start again after the NEXT commercial set plays. So it is as if the player as set is volume to 0, or muted itself between commercial breaks. This only happens over airplay streaming, and only from my iOS device. Attempts to adjust the volume does not have an effect.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
196 Replies

jsfranko
Underground
As soon as the sound disappears but keeps on playing in pandora, restart pandora. Then sound will come back. But when I do this, it will only play a few songs and then play two ads and go silent again. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone
0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @Buddd2000 & @jsfranko 

If you want I can add your feedback to an internal ticket we have open. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen) 

Let me know so I can add it to our ticket. Thanks!

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this.

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

davidacox
Opening Act

This problem is effecting my account again. I will limit this post to the interaction of an iOS and iPadOS streaming music via AirPlay to an iPod. I am making that limitation as I have seen some different behavior (still not working as designed) when streaming via AirPlay to other devices. I may post more on that after I do more testing.

My account first had this issue some short time before 03-24-2022 (the day I reported the issue, starting this thread). The issue stopped effecting my account on or shortly before 09-07-2022, and there was no indication as to what resolved the issue for me. The issue returned for me on or shortly before 01-28-2023. So I was impacted between 5 and 6 months, and then everything was working as desired for 4 or 5 months (as my use of this is not consistent, it is possible that this is a 6 months working, 6 months broken situation).

My current understanding:

1. The issue does not affect all iOS users at the same time. I have been in the ‘good’ state while others are in the ‘bad’ state.

2. The issue follows specific users, not specific devices, OS levels, or Pandora versions.

3. When a user is in the ‘bad’ state, they are consistently in the ‘bad’ state.When a user is in the ‘good’ state, they are consistently in the ‘good’ state. The problem is not intermittent when it is present, but a user can move between the states for months at a time.

I am running Pandora version 2212.1 on iOS 16.3.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Hi @davidacox 👋

Thanks for following up with an updated situation and sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue once again.

We are hoping and expecting a fix when the new version update is released. All updates and solutions will be posted on this thread, please stay tuned for any upcoming news.

In the meantime, I've added and updated your feedback to an internal ticket we have for this specific issue. 

We appreciate your continued patience while we solve this issue! 🤝

0 Kudos

Matt5
Local Performer

Happens after every ad break. The music will continue to play but there is no sound. I have to close the app while connected to Wi-Fi audio device and restart…. The music will the play seamlessly. Additionally when playing in my vehicle via Bluetooth from my iPhone 13 Pro I have no issues.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Hi @Matt5 👋

Welcome to the Community and glad to see your first post.

However, I do apologize that you're experiencing this issue while playing Pandora. It sounds like you're connected to an audio device when this issue occurs, are you connected via AirPlay or Chromecast when playing through your network audio device? Or are you connected through a different method?

In the meantime, I've enabled a trace on your account so that we can take a closer look. For this trace to be helpful, please run through our iOS Troubleshooting Steps for more accurate results.

+++

If you are connected via Airplay when the music stops after Ads, we have an internal ticket open with our engineers and they are working towards a solution. I would like to pass your feedback on to our engineering team, but before I do, could you tell me more about your device?

• Carrier:
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen) 

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Thanks for your help with this. 🤝

0 Kudos

Demojeff
Local Performer

I'm curious to know the status of this fix. It's occurring for me as well. Exact same situation - iPhone (OK, it's old) 7, with iOS 15.7.2, and the latest update for the Sonos app on it. The music shows that it's playing after an ad set, and no sound comes from my Sonos Arc speaker. I close the Pandora app, reopen it and things work fine, until the next ad break. 

Has anything been resolved? 

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Hi @Demojeff 👋

Welcome to the Community and thank you for reporting.

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide any additional information or a timeline as to when you can expect to see this resolved. 

However, the info you've provided is helpful and I've made sure to pass it along. I've also made a note regarding your experience. 

Thanks very much for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

mamacast
Local Performer

Mine quit doing it with no intervention, who knows what it was.

--

"Let go of the idea of winning or losing. In the game of life, the most
important thing is just showing up and doing your best." - Domonique Bertolucc

-Moderator Edit: removed personal information and format

0 Kudos

Ant92234
Local Performer

Same issue here of not playing after an advertisement segment. Will start back up on occasion after several minutes. Been going on for a while now. I was told to stream Pandora via the Sonos app. I began using Pandora through the Sonos app and it seemed to work but it would not shuffle my stations. I try multiple times to hit 'shuffle stations' but it stays on one. 

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Hi @Ant92234 👋

Thanks for the report and sorry to hear this is happening to you as well. Could you tell me more about your device and I'll pass this along to our engineering team?

• Carrier:

0 Kudos

AtlasHart
Underground

I have the same issue as everyone in this thread. iPhone 13, most up to date iOS, Verizon (for what it's worth). I use pandora every single day in my house. started within the last week. I've just stopped using it and now using Spotify, too irritating, nothing seems to work.

Pandora works fine on my AirPods so listen when out of the house, but that's it.

Apple iPhone 13
iOS16.3
Verizon
Pandora 2301.1

The fact that you’re asking about wifi vs cellular makes me think you guys aren’t taking this issue seriously. Airplay only works over wifi, as several other posters have noted.

thanks.
Jake

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Thank you for reporting your issue, @AtlasHart . I understand how frustrating this can be. In the meantime, I've added your information to the ticket we have open with our engineering team. 🎧

0 Kudos

mspleeno
Local Performer

Same issue here, been going on a year for me too, to greater or lesser degrees. Other audio apps had this issue too initially, but everyone else was able to fix it very quickly; Pandora is the only place I see it anymore, and it’s maddening. 

Look, I work in IT in software development, and I can tell you a few things for sure: it doesn’t take a year to fix this, there are resources to help you if you want them, and this just screams that you’re not bothering to support the API correctly (or are trying to be “clever” and do your own thing instead, and it’s not working).

AirPlay is not going to go away. The re-introduction of the big HomePods proves that Apple is leaning harder into this space, not less. You’re competing against Spotify and Apple Music, both of which have advantages you lack. At least you could provide a better experience than they do!

FWIW, it doesn’t appear to only happen to me after ads, though that’s a common (and suspicious) one. Funny the ads never mute. Sometimes it happens between songs in general. 

which brings me to my final point: I resisted subscriptions for a long time, but now I have a bunch of them, and I thought it was time to finally subscribe to pandora and support them, and also get the better feature set. But if you still can’t support seamless playback on the platforms I use, how can I subscribe and pay for janky playback???

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Hi @mspleeno 👋

I appreciate your feedback and I apologize for any trouble this may have caused.

I would love to share your feedback with our engineering team, but could you tell me more about your device?

• Carrier:

Thanks for your help with this! 🤝

0 Kudos

stump556
Local Performer

Having same issues others have stated, Pandora quits playing out loud after an ad plays on AirPlay.  I can force quit Pandora and restart and it starts playing, until next ad. Problem just started a few weeks ago for me. 

If I play Pandora to a bluetooth speaker, the problem does not happen.  If I use the Sonos app and play Pandora from within it's music service connection ability, the problem still occurs.

Pandora version # 2301.1

IOS 16.3

iPhone 11 Pro Max

0 Kudos

Arkie1
Opening Act

Any idea on when this will be fixed, it’s been broken for over a year now.  I believe this is by design to encourage users to purchase pandora as this is not broken with the purchased option.  

Broken Pandora on air-play all devices and all versions of IOS don’t waist time troubleshooting use another service if you want to use Air-Play.  

0 Kudos

ZRU2013
Local Performer

This has been going on for over a month. After the ads plays my Pandora stops while casting to iHome speaker. I guess I'll start researching new apps for music.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Hi @ZRU2013 👋

Could you tell me more about your device?

• Carrier:

0 Kudos

Larry-G
Underground
Go for it !!!, my issue has been over a year now……..Good luck…..Pandora has no clue , does anyone even work for Pandora????……robots?…. Any humans involved…….NOT😵💫

Sent from my iPad
0 Kudos