cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: iOS: Music Stops After Ad Plays using AirPlay

davidacox
Opening Act

I have a similar problem (or it may be the same problem, but with an additional observation). My airplay stream will work fine until a commercial break happens. The commercials play properly, but when the music is supposed to start, the player on my phone shows that things are working properly, but no audio is sent to the airplay device. If I leave it in that state, the audio will start again after the NEXT commercial set plays. So it is as if the player as set is volume to 0, or muted itself between commercial breaks. This only happens over airplay streaming, and only from my iOS device. Attempts to adjust the volume does not have an effect.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
196 Replies

davidacox
Opening Act

I see that version 2301.1 was released on 1/30/23. This was after it was noted that there was hope that the next version would resolve this issue. Is there a particular version release that is expected to resolve this issue?

I have created a shortcut for Siri that sometimes helps (it drops the airplay stream to the phone, and then goes back to my iPod), but it is hit or miss if it works, and it works best from the phone, rather than Siri on the iPod, so its utility is limited. I am sharing it here in case it helps someone else:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/903c4786bbec41b9904bf53339260293

0 Kudos

jsfranko
Underground

Just upgraded to 2301. I deleted the app, redownloaded and installed. It said deleting all data when i deleted. But when i relaunched after installing again I was still logged in. I logged out and back in. The issue with silence after ad still exists. But I ve been playing all afternoon and it hasn’t played 2 ads in a row since installing. Before it was playing a silent song or two after ads, then one audible song followed by more ads and silence. After updating it’s been playing a lot of songs after the ad silence period. Not fixed but definitely an improvement for me. 

0 Kudos

jsfranko
Underground

I guess they didn’t know. Now i informed on myself it just started the **ahem** again. Ads, silence 1 song , lather rinse and repeat 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@davidacox Has this issue been resolved for you after updating to 2301.1?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jsfranko I've passed this along to the appropriate parties for further investigation. We'll follow up with you if we need any additional details.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

Ant92234
Local Performer

I have found that it now stops playing 1-2 songs after an ad then plays a song or two until another set of ads then repeats. Then after a few times of that it just stopped.

0 Kudos

jsfranko
Underground

I’ve deleted pandora from my iPhone. Get back to me if you ever fix this. 

0 Kudos

Jdndh1052
Local Performer

Exact same problem for me as well. I just copied and pasted the previous explanation:

Exact same problem here. This happens when using AirPlay (on any device, regardless of whether the AirPlay device is wired or wireless). This behavior happens after the completion of EVERY commercial segment:

1. Everything starts out fine & audio works when Pandora is playing songs.
  2. Audio Ads play (one or more ads within the segment)
  3. After completion of Ads and when music resumes, AirPlay seems to disconnect, and no more audio is heard from the AirPlay device
  4. Music appears to resume & continue to stream from Pandora (time bar progresses, and advances to subsequent songs), but no audio
  5. If you click on the AirPlay icon (to the right of time bar), the AirPlay devices appear to still be playing (the song's title is shown and the equalizer bars go up & down)

Comments:

• To correct the issue, I have to disconnect AirPlay, reconnected it, and click "Play" again
  • Problem only happens when using AirPlay (no problems when listening using iPhone speaker or bluetooth)
  • Other music streaming services (like Spotify) do not have similar problems using AirPlay
  • Problem happens on all AirPlay devices when using Pandora
  • Problem happens after the end of every Ad segment, so points to Pandora software issue
  • Using latest version of Pandora and iOS.”
0 Kudos

davidacox
Opening Act

No. The problem remains on the most recent update of Pandora (2301.1).

0 Kudos

jwichlas
Local Performer

I have the same problem. Sound to Airplay device stops after commercial break.  Music is still playing (song timer continues) but no sound.  Changing output to phone (sound comes through phone) or to phone and back to Airplay results in sound again from Airplay device.

Airplay device is 

iPhone 12 mini

ISO 16.2

Xfinity

version 2302.1

0 Kudos

toolie
Local Performer

Same exact problem here, though it’s only been for a few months for me, thankfully. I’m surprised to see how long this has been going on for some others. 

iPhone 11 Pro 

iPhone 13

iOS 16.3.1

pandora 2302.1

Sonos One SL

wifi

0 Kudos

toat10
Local Performer

We are having the exact same issue.  Multiple devices (iPhones and iPads) and play to multiple airplay devices (HomePod minis and Sonos speakers).  Have reinstalled the app, logged out and back in, run all updates on all iOS devices and speakers, etc.  For us this probably started in the late fall / early winter of 2022 and was just fine prior to that (same equipment).  Ads definitely seem to be the issue—music seems like it’s playing on iOS devices but airplay needs to be reconnected before we can hear it.

We are starting to use Spotify more and more because this issue is so frustrating and seems limited to just the Pandora app.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@toat10 I would like to share your experience with our engineering team, but will need additional information from you before I can do so.

Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen) 

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

BOOBA
Local Performer

This AirPlay drop out is still unresolved 

0 Kudos

yoopdog
Local Performer

Was pretty excited to stream Pandora via AirPlay to my new sound bar, but it looks like I'm experiencing the same issue as the others on this thread.  Have Pandora Plus account.  Music was streaming fine for a couple hours.  Went to play a specific song and was asked to watch an ad before I could proceed.  When ad completed, no sound to sound bar but it appears the music was still playing in Pandora.  Has this issue really been going on for over a year?

iPhone XS, AT&T carrier (but was on wifi), ios 16.3.1, Pandora version 2302.1

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@BOOBA if you're still running into issues with this, could you please tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen) 

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for working with me on this.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@yoopdog I've passed your feedback along to the engineers who are looking into this issue.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

jsfranko
Underground

2302.1 released a week ago, is still broken. 

0 Kudos

Edw3rd
Local Performer

C’mon Adam tell your engineers it’s been two years - this is an Ad specific problem.  There are sending some kind of marker to playback devices that kills the sound but leaves the connection.  This should not be that difficult… 

CK5
Local Performer

Just loaded 2302.2, still have the same problem.  Looks like Pandora wants us all to stop listening and uninstall there ap as there is zero progress in over a year, so they are obviously not working on the problem and giving no projected date to resolve the issue.  Bummer, I have used Pandora since the beginning