cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: iOS: Music Stops After Ad Plays using AirPlay

davidacox
Opening Act

I have a similar problem (or it may be the same problem, but with an additional observation). My airplay stream will work fine until a commercial break happens. The commercials play properly, but when the music is supposed to start, the player on my phone shows that things are working properly, but no audio is sent to the airplay device. If I leave it in that state, the audio will start again after the NEXT commercial set plays. So it is as if the player as set is volume to 0, or muted itself between commercial breaks. This only happens over airplay streaming, and only from my iOS device. Attempts to adjust the volume does not have an effect.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
196 Replies

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Sorry for the trouble this is causing you @CK5.

I would like to report this to our engineers, could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this.

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

Xmholl88
Local Performer

Sound dropout on airplay after commercials

I have Airplay connected via Wi-Fi to several Lithe Audio speakers in my house. After the first, sometimes the second commercial, the sound through the speakers stop, yet the song continues on the device as if it were muted. Then after a random amount of time, the audio will restart. A few songs will play, then it happens again after another commercial. I have all Apple updates and the current version of Pandora. I’ve performed a hard shut down and deleted, then restored, the Pandora app. 

I can listen to Apple Music or XM radio without any disruptions. I have strong Wi-Fi signals throughout the house. Please help. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Xmholl88 I moved your post over to this existing thread: iOS: Playback stops after advertisement when using AirPlay

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps once more: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

If you continue to experience issues, I would like to report your feedback to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?
  • Does this occur after a specific ad or does this happen after all ads?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

JAdow
Local Performer

Exact same issue..   Song to song no problem.  Throw in an ad and the music stops.     I have let it play (no audio) next ad break and then the audio returns.    It makes no sense     Pandora we have been friends for a long time and I appreciate the app but this is getting to be a deal breaker.   Noting like having folks over and someone has to start and stop the app from getting the music to play after an ad.    I ma giving you 30 days.   After that, you are deleted from the home and we are done with you.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora

Hi @JAdow 👋

Thanks for sharing, I understand how frustrating this can be and I genuinely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We have an open ticket with our engineers for this specific issue and if you would like, I can share your feedback with them. Before so, could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this.

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

BOOBA
Local Performer
Pandora version: 2302.2
iOS version:  16.3.1Carrier: VerizonDevice: iPhone 11Speaker:  Sonos Arc BooBa 
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up with those details, @BOOBA.

I've passed this along to the appropriate parties for further investigation. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

Jsf
Underground

I deleted my account and created a new one, using version 2303.1, released just 3 days ago. I created a new station use 2 artists. After playing 2 or 3 songs it played an ad, then radio silence on the next song. I hit next, still silent. Kill and restart app and it picks up playing. Then another ad. When this app worked it would play 5 or more songs before an ad. Now it plays an ad every few songs. I can only believe this is a deliberate ploy to irritate the user into signing up for a paid ad free subscription. If they really wanted to solve something like this, they would have reached out to apple directly months ago and worked out a solution. Instead, version after version there is no solution. 

CK5
Local Performer

One thing I didn't mention on my first post is about apple watches.  I got my wife an apple watch in January and then she started having the problem with pandora stopping after an ad, then I got a watch in late February and I started having the problem.  At the same time I got the watch an update of iOS came out, so I updated the iOS and activated and updated the watch on the same day.  My wife and I use the same Pandora account, so while she was having problems after getting her watch, Pandora worked perfectly fine for me until I got my watch.  So I am wondering, of the folks having this problem, can anybody else correlate with problem to getting a watch?  Regardless, Pandora should be reaching out to Apple and solving this issue.

0 Kudos

davidacox
Opening Act

I do have an Apple Watch. I had my watch for some time before this problem starts. The problem affected me for around a year. Then the problem went away for me for around 3 months. Then the problem returned. It would be interesting to know if all impacted users have a watch, as there is some interaction between pandora on the phone and a users watch, as it will create playback controls on the watch.

0 Kudos

Jsf
Underground

I too have a watch. I use it to skip songs and adjust volume, at night when the phone is on charger. But I didn’t us the watch at all in recent tests  

watch is usually a rev or two behind. 

0 Kudos

BOOBA
Local Performer
I have uploaded the latest version of Pandora, 2303.1, and the music still stops after the first commercial but later comes back on, perhaps after the next commercial.
 BOOBA
0 Kudos

Jsf
Underground

I deleted pandora from Apple Watch and first thing I tried was pandora on iPhone to apple tv via airplay (just because that was the room i was in). The apple tv plays through a bluetooth speaker. What i noticed was pandora was still trying to play an ad right after the first song or two, but it was apparently a video add. On the apple display, a progress bar came up but instead of video it got a spinning cursor and pandora immediately started playing the next song. It continued this way, sometimes failing two video ads in a row and moving on to playing the next song. So I got uninterrupted music for as long as the test was conducted which was over 30 minutes.  Moving on to homepod test next. 

0 Kudos

Jsf
Underground

No luck on the homepod. It played the rest of the song it had been playing on the Apple TV, an ad, another song, then before the song was over, it interrupted with 2 ads, then silence as it tried to play another song, then the sound came back on the next song.  

0 Kudos

Jsf
Underground

Ok,  i hope i get this sequence right. After failing on homepod, i look in Apple Watch app to start updating. Checked for pandora and saw it had worked its way back into the apps list. Tried to delete but it said it couldn’t. So I moved on to install the update. While it was installing I noticed music playing on the homepod. Went to pandora and skipped until the skip limit with no ads. It continued to play with no ads while the update finished. When I looke at the app list in the watch app, after update finished pandora was at the end of the list as an available app with an install button. I left it alone. Meanwhile it’s been 4 songs on the homepod without any ads, since the skip limit was reached. I’m waiting for an ad to come up to see what happens. There it is, an ad. And another. And back to a silent song. I’m going turn the watch off and sse what happens 

0 Kudos

Jsf
Underground

No luck with the watch off. Same old problem. 

0 Kudos

joetalks
Local Performer

I have the same issue when pairing it with Beosound Emerge via Airplay on Pandora. It is more and more likely the Pandora iOS App issue via Airplay. Pandora iOS app via chromecast or Bluetooth works perfectly fine after Ads. But sound goes silent when using Airplay after each Ads. 

0 Kudos

geerty
Local Performer

I'm having this issue right now. I've deleted the app and restarted my device. It's been happening for the last few months, so I know it's happening with every ad playing. I have to shut down the app and reopen it every time an ad ends. The player shows that a song is playing, but there's no sound. As soon as I shut it down and restart it, the music plays again. 

I'm on wifi playing through iPod minis throughout my house. 

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.) - iPhone 12 Pro
  • Carrier: - Verizon
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version) - 16.3.1
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen) - version 2303.1
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@geerty Thanks for sharing your experience on the Community.

To clarify, are you connected to another device via AirPlay or Bluetooth when this happens?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

geerty
Local Performer

Yes, it happens when I'm connected to my iPod minis via AirPlay over my home wifi. 

0 Kudos