cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume increases mid-song.

hwmeder
Local Performer

When I set the volume low, to fall asleep, a minute later, mid-song, the volume pops up several levels. When I put the volume back down, it just pops up again a few minutes later. If I give up and just leave it alone, several minutes later, the volume pops up even louder. This has nothing to do with intra or inter song volume. Given the number of times I lower the volume, there should be no volume at all. Even setting the volume to one click above inaudible, does not help.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @hwmeder. 👋

Thanks for your post about this.

One thing to note, we don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing. If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

However, it sounds like this issue just starting happening during your listening sessions.

Let's try running through these troubleshooting steps to see if it helps with the issue you're experiencing: Android Troubleshooting

Feel free to let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @hwmeder. 👋

Thanks for your post about this.

One thing to note, we don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing. If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

However, it sounds like this issue just starting happening during your listening sessions.

Let's try running through these troubleshooting steps to see if it helps with the issue you're experiencing: Android Troubleshooting

Feel free to let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

ericbarlow21
Local Performer

I cannot find a solution to this problem and have searched outside of the Pandora forums, as well. I assume there is no solution. The moderators don't seem to listen or understand the problem as they continue to copy/paste the same canned response about Pandora not altering the music's equalization, which is not what the users are talking about... the volume of a song changes THROUGHOUT the same song. For example, I am starting a new song now at full volume but within 10-20 seconds, the same song will auto-adjust to near silent levels. If you quickly mute/unmute then the volume of the song returns to loud, but then seconds later will go quiet again. This is the same on the mobile app, tv app, computer desktop, different devices, headphones, speaker, doesn't matter. Pandora continues to ask me to subscribe to their service but this issue is extremely annoying so I would never pay for this service. It's hardly useable as a free service.