cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora will not close in CarPlay

Greenfrog1618
Local Performer

When I have my IPhone connected to my car with CarPlay Pandora automatically starts playing. I close the app and it reopens itself and starts planing again. I don’t always want to use pandora when I’m in my car and just want to listen to the radio but need to charge my phone. Please help!

mod edit: changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
93 Replies

Spirited14
Underground

I went to settings and toggled the Enable Pandora to Launch to OFF, and Pandora is still opening up and will not stay closed when connected to Car Play. I've seen the previous posts, this issue has been on going since 2019 and it's still not working. I don't want to listen to Pandora every time I'm in my car and need to charge my phone, it's ridiculous. No other choice but to delete Pandora off my phone. 

mod edit: format

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up @Spirited14.

Just to clarify from your first post, when you close out the app, do you just pause the music and select a different service or are you killing the app? Also, are you connected to CarPlay via bluetooth or USB cord?

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Spirited14
Underground

I'm killing the pandora app, and i'm connected via USB cord.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up @Spirited14. Instead of killing the app, can you press pause, exit the app and let me know if Pandora resumes?

Oh, also, do you have Enable Auto-Start toggled on under Advanced settings?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

TinaInWhoville
Local Performer

I too have the same maddening issue. Brand new Subaru Ascent. When I start the car, when iPhone 6+ is plugged in, Pandora comes up on my iPhone and I cannot make it go away. I swipe it off, it comes right back.
I have to change to another channel like a radio station or SiriusXM and turn down the volume. But Pandora is still up on my iPhone.

Oh yea, the Dodge RAM does the same thing BTW.

One of the issues included is that there does not seem to be a permanent OFF button for the radio on the Ascent. [nor on the Dodge RAM either] When I start the car the radio plays. I have to turn off the audio as soon as the car starts, there is no OFF button. Craziest thing I have ever seen. What car radio cannot be turned off?? I turn "off" [mute] the audio every time. But when I start the car, guess what, the radio is on. Makes me CRAZY!!! shut up!!

So there are three factors in play:
1. The Ascent radio that cannot be turned off, it comes on no matter what, and there is only a mute function. Nor can Pandora be deleted off the car, its a permanent app apparently.
2. Apple's Carplay doesn't give the option to NOT launch the radio upon starting the car. In fact, Carplay's settings are miserably inadequate for any tweaking.
3. And the Pandora app itself won't stop launching, and you can't make it go away by swiping as it infernally keeps popping up over and over on the iPhone. As noted, there should be a Bluetooth function to disable "Launch from Car" - no such thing shows up on my iPhone Pandora app.

One thing does work: if I plug the iPhone in AFTER the car is going, sometimes the Pandora app won't automatically launch. But then if I plug in the phone after the car is going, maybe or maybe not the app launches!! At this point, I don't plug in my iPhone and that helps. but then if i want to make a call through my car or run Google maps, I have to plug in the phone and fight the Pandora app.
Frankly it is a very dangerous distraction while driving if I have to fight Pandora by plugging in the iPhone, suppress Pandora by switching radio channels, and fight Pandora popping up while I try to get to the Google map app or call/answer the phone.

This is nuts and I believe the issue is made worse by Carplay, Subaru/car manufacturers, and Pandora developers pointing the finger at each other. Somewhere, somehow all y'all are going to have to play nicely together to solve the problem.
Maybe there is going to be an accident, a death and a lawsuit because someone is just too lazy to pay attention long enough to get to the answer? Maybe get an old codger project manager on this, the kind that still has some work ethic/conscience to solve this?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@TinaInWhoville I definitely understand your frustration with this.

I have escalated your feedback to our Automotive team, and they will be reaching out to you privately via email to look into this further.

Please keep an eye out for their message.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime! 🤝

Adam | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

Jukin
Local Performer

Seriously? Another post about sending it yo you engineers? This problem was first reported in 2016 and this thread was started at the end of November 2019 - that was 8 months ago and no one at Pandora has offered a single solution! You keep making bull**ahem** lip-service posts that are intended to placate customers rather than solve their problem. I think I will join the other users here who cancelled their subscriptions because of the shear lack of information and desire to help coming from Pandora. I have spent far too much time trying to resolve resolve this on my own as well as reading every post I can find on the subject. If Pandora tried half as much there would be a solution by now. 

SJ1982
Local Performer

This is also happening to me.  2020 Subaru Forester. It does not happen in my other car, which is a 2018 Kia Sorento.  Using Pandora version 2007.2 on my iPhone 8 Plus, running iOS 13.6.  Only Pandora has this issue. Amazon Music and Spotify do not behave this way. Please fix. 

0 Kudos

Froman
Local Performer

I have the same problem on 2019 Subaru Forrster Touring.   The new version of Pandora does not fix this. Please advise.

0 Kudos

Froman
Local Performer

Maybe one their engineers could actually sit in a Subaru and try the fix instead in asking the webmaster to ask a user to see if it was fixed.   Maybe your right, maybe they want us to move to Spotify.

0 Kudos

Gearjamr99
Local Performer

I have a 2015 Camaro that has the same issue. When I plug the phone in to the vehicle it automatically plays Pandora. I want to listen to other music I have saved on my phone but it is impossible. Even if I sign out of Pandora it keeps trying to sign me back in.

TannerPandora

Hi @Gearjamr99! Thanks for posting.

Can you let me know the following:

• Pandora version (If you need help finding this let me know.)
  • Model of your iPhone
  • If you have an aftermarket stereo, what is the make and model of that device?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

mlemahi
Local Performer

Same thing with my iPhone 8 and 2020 Subaru Ascent. So obnoxious. I ended up deleting the Pandora app

0 Kudos

giligan420
Local Performer

So it sounds like this has been a problem since 2016? And every time someone asks you say "our engineers are investigating". It's been 4 years now and you haven't given a setting in preferences to be able to turn that off? That should be a you thing, not a car thing. That shouldn't even happen without asking for permission. It's super annoying. I have to pause it and leave it open to listen to the radio? If I close the app, it restarts and restarts. So as long as I pause the app, I can do what I want, but I shouldn't have to do that in the first place. Make it stop. 

TannerPandora

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for posting your Pandora listening experience in the car. We have added a new feature that we believe should help.

First, please confirm you have the latest version of the Pandora app (version 2009.1) and then use the following steps:

• Open Pandora.
  • Tap Profile.
  • Next select the Settings gear in the upper right corner.
  • Then tap Advanced.
  • Under Bluetooth for devices, toggle the 'Enable Launch From Car' button off to disable this.

This should prevent Pandora from launching automatically when your phone connects to the car.

Please note: We have received a few reports that the 'Enable Launch From Car' toggle doesn't appear under Bluetooth Devices in Settings. 

If you experience this, please try signing out and back in, then close and relaunch the app.

We hope this helps, please let us know if you're still continuing to run into this issue. 

0 Kudos

Issalaronde
Local Performer

Solution doesn’t work as those options are not available on my phone. I have an iPhone Xs Max, software version 14.0. 2019 Subaru Outback with latest version of Pandora. On my phone, it keeps showing a popup - Pandora would like to communicate with Harman SUBARU STARLINK B. Ignore or Allow. Then, it forces Pandora to appear and play again. Pandora also forces to appear if someone is driving and I am using my phone in the moving vehicle. It has been extremely intrusive and I can’t find the settings on the iPhone or my vehicle to turn this off.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Issalaronde! Thanks for posting. 

The feature I mentioned in my previous post is not available to everyone. I have asked that this be made available to you. 

Would you mind trying again? Be sure you're updated to the latest version of Pandora, if you need help with this let me know. Then follow the steps above to view this features. 

Keep in mind, we have received a few reports that the 'Enable Launch From Car' toggle doesn't appear under Bluetooth Devices in Settings. 

If you experience this, try signing out and back in, then close and relaunch the app.

Let me know how it goes. 

0 Kudos

DannyH
Local Performer

Followed all steps outlined, I see no Bluetooth settings or anything 

2020 Subaru Ascent iPhone X Latest version of app and IOS as of post

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @DannyH! Thanks for posting. 

This feature is not yet available to everyone. I've gone ahead and made a small change to your account. You should now see the toggle with the steps from my previous post.

Keep in mind, we have received a few reports that the 'Enable Launch From Car' toggle doesn't appear under Bluetooth Devices in Settings. 

If you experience this, please try signing out and back in, then close and relaunch the app.

Let me know if you continue to run into trouble with this. Thanks!

View solution in original post

RSatira
Local Performer

Solution. Does. Not. Work. I have done what you said and it is still not an option. 

iPhone X Max

Pandora Version 2009.2

2018 Subaru Crosstrek

0 Kudos