cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Post 2 of 2.

2007 - Leona Lewis
X Factor winner Leona Lewis went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with the first track from her debut album ‘Bleeding Love.’ Lewis had the biggest week one sales so far in 2007 this year outselling the rest of the top five put together, with 218,000 copies. She beat Take That's ‘Rule The World’ into second place.

2007 - Porter Wagoner
Country musician Porter Wagoner died in Nashville aged 80 from lung cancer. Wagoner helped launch the career of Dolly Parton and had his own US TV show, which ran for 21 years until 1981. Wagoner signed his first record deal in 1955, and had hits including 'Carroll County Accident' and 'Green Green Grass of Home'.

2008 - AC/DC
A statue honoring AC/DC's Bon Scott was unveiled at the Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbor in Western Australia. Although born in Scotland, Scott grew up in Fremantle after his family emigrated to Australia in 1952. Bon started out his newfound Australian life in Melbourne, his family lived in the suburb of Sunshine for 4 years before moving to Fremantle. Scott was born in 1946 died on 20th February 1980. He is buried in Fremantle cemetery.

2011 - Metallica
The organizers of a planned Metallica concert in India were arrested after the show was called off, leading fans of the band to destroy the stage and vandalize equipment. Metallica had been booked to play in Delhi on Friday, but they postponed the show after a security barrier in front of the stage collapsed. The four promoters of the gig, were arrested on fraud charges after they refused to refund tickets. Around 25,000 people had purchased tickets to see what would have been Metallica's first-ever concert in India.

2013 - Lorde
New Zealand singer Lorde topped the UK singles chart with her debut single, 'Royals', making her the youngest solo artist to score a UK No.1 since 15-year-old Billie Piper's 'Because We Want To' in 1998. 16 year old Lorde was signed to Universal on a development deal at just 13 years old, after a friend's father sent them home recordings of her singing Duffy and Pixie Lott tracks.

2014 - Oasis
Police in Manchester England, said "an Oasis fan" could've been responsible for breaking into an art gallery to steal a picture of the band after a window was smashed at MASA-UK in Greater Manchester. The black-and-white painting by Olga Tsarevska Loma was inscribed with 'otz2013'.

2016 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley broke the record for the most No.1 albums by a solo artist. The late singer's new album The Wonder Of You beat competition from Lady Gaga and Michael Bublé to become his 13th album to top the chart. Before now, Elvis and Madonna were tied record holders with 12 No.1 albums each to their names.

2019 - Stephen Morris
Musician Stephen Morris appealed for the return of his £250,000 antique violin after leaving it on a train. He forgot the 310-year-old instrument, in a white case, when he got off the train in London with his bike. Morris who has played on Bond film scores and recorded with David Bowie said: “It’s devastating to lose it. I was really only its custodian and had hoped to pass it on to another violinist eventually”.

Born on this day in the music world:
1927 - Cleo Laine
Cleo Laine, jazz singer, (1961 UK No.5 single 'You'll Answer To Me').

1936 - Charlie Daniels
Charlie Daniels who is known for his No.1 country hit 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'. Daniels has been active as a singer since the early 1950s and was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry on January 24, 2008. He died of a hemorrhagic stroke on 6 July 2020, age 83.

1937 - Graham Bond
Graham Bond, UK R&B keyboard player, saxophonist with The Graham Bond Organization. He died on 8th May 1974 after committing suicide by throwing himself under a London tube train at Finsbury Park station. Bond had worked with Alexis Korner, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

1940 - Wayne Fontana
British singer Wayne Fontana, who had the 1966 UK No.2 single with Mindbenders, 'Groovy Kind Of Love', and the 1965 US No.1 single 'Game Of Love'. Fontana died from cancer on 6 August 2020 at the age of 74.

1941 - Hank Marvin
Hank Marvin, guitar, The Shadows, (1963 UK No.1 single 'Foot Tapper', plus 28 other UK Top 40 singles. Also played on many hits with Cliff Richard. Member of Marvin, Welch and Farrar.

1948 - Telma Hopkins
Telma Hopkins, singer from American pop music group Dawn who were popular in the 1970s. Their signature hits include 'Candida', 'Knock Three Times', and 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree'.

1953 - Desmond Child
Desmond Child, American musician, songwriter, and producer who has co-written over 70 Top 40 singles, with songs that have sold over 300 million albums worldwide. His collaborations include Bon Jovi, Bonnie Tyler, Aerosmith, Ricky Martin, Weezer, Shakira, Jennifer Rush, Kiss, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Cher, Katy Perry, and Alice Cooper.

1957 - Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris, drums, Joy Division, (1980 UK No.13 single 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'). New Order, (1983 UK No.9 single 'Blue Monday'). The Other Two, (1991 UK No.41 single 'Tasty Fish').

1958 - Dave Wyndorf
Dave Wyndorf, lead vocalist, guitarist, pianist, trombonist, and songwriter for the American rock group Monster Magnet.

1958 - William Reid
William Reid, The Jesus and Mary Chain, (1987 UK No.8 single 'April Skies').

1959 - Neville Henry
Neville Henry, from British new wave group The Blow Monkeys who had the 1986 hit 'Digging Your Scene' and the 1987 UK No.5 single 'It Doesn't Have To Be This Way'.

1963 - Eros Ramazzotti
Italian musician and singer-songwriter, Eros Ramazzotti who has sold over 55 million records and worked with artists such as Cher, Tina Turner, Andrea Bocelli, Patsy Kensit, Anastacia, Joe Cocker, Nicole Scherzinger and Ricky Martin.

1969 - Ben Harper
American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, Ben Harper. Two-time Grammy Award winner, winning awards for Best Pop Instrumental Performance and Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album, in 2005.

1987 - Frank Ocean
American singer and songwriter Frank Ocean. His debut studio album, Channel Orange, released in July 2012 reached No. 2 on the US album chart. His second studio album Blonde debuted at No.1 in the US and the UK.

That concludes another day for this day in history of music. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love Frank Ocean, @MOHLovesAlaska. He's one of my favorite singers. 🎙

Thanks for sharing today! 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandoraWell I will be sure to add some of Frank Ocean's songs to my GSOTD choices. And you are welcome. Thank you for your interest with music history. Have a great day. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

HausOfKIWI
Underground

Thanks for sharing this info, @MOHLovesAlaska

Loving this thread! 🤙

On this day in music history. 

Post 1 of 2:

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles made their second appearance on the Granada TV program ‘People and Places.’ Filmed in Manchester, they performed two songs, 'Love Me Do' and ‘A Taste of Honey’.

1963 - Mickie Most
The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Mickie Most, The Rolling Stones, Julie Grant and The Flintstones all appeared at The Goumont Theatre, St Albans, England.

1965 - The Who
The Who released the single 'My Generation' in the UK. The song was named the 11th greatest song by Rolling Stone on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and 13th on VH1's list of the 100 Greatest Songs of Rock & Roll. It reached No. 2 in the UK, the Who's highest charting single in their home country but only No. 74 in America.

1966 - ? & the Mysterians
? & the Mysterians went to No.1 on the US singles chart with '96 Tears'. Although he closely guarded his true identity at the time, the man known as Question Mark turned out to be Rudy Martinez, from Saginaw Valley, Michigan. The song was later a UK hit in the UK for The Stranglers in 1990.

1967 - Cream
Cream played two shows at the Saville Theatre in London, England, billed as "Sundays At The Saville", The Bee Gees were appearing the following week.

1971 - Duane Allman
Duane Allman of The Allman Brothers Band was killed when he lost control of his motorcycle on a Macon, Georgia street while trying to swerve to avoid a tractor-trailer and was thrown from the motorcycle. The motorcycle bounced into the air, landed on Allman and skidded another 90 feet with Allman pinned underneath. He was three weeks shy of his 25th birthday.

1977 - Sex Pistols
The Belgian travel service issued a summons against the Sex Pistols claiming the sleeve to the bands single 'Holidays In The Sun' infringed copyright of one of its brochures.

1983 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon marked its 491st week on the Billboard album chart in the US, surpassing the previous record holder, 'Johnny's Greatest Hits' by Johnny Mathis. When it finally fell off of list in October 1988, 'Dark Side' had set a record of 741 weeks on the chart.

1983 - Dolly Parton
'Islands In The Stream', gave Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers a No.1 on the US singles chart. The song was written by The Bee Gees and co-produced by Barry Gibb.

1984 - Wells Kelly
American drummer Wells Kelly who was a member of Orleans and worked with Meat Loaf died aged 45 after choking to death on his vomit. Had the 1976 US hit singles with Orleans, 'Still The One' and 'Dance with Me.'

1987 - David Bowie
David Bowie played the first night of his 15 date Glass Spider Tour in Australia and New Zealand at the Boondall Entertainment Centre in Brisbane.

1987 - Ron Wood
'Decades' Rolling Stones Ronnie Wood's first ever British art exhibition opened in London, featuring portraits of friends and rock stars from the past 20 years.

1988 - Enya
Enya started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Orinoco Flow.' Originally with family act, Clannad, Enya went solo and specialized in Celtic and New Age recordings.

1994 - Pato Banton
UK reggae/rap performer Pato Banton (with Robin & Ali Campbell from UB40), started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the 1968 Eddy Grant song and Equals hit 'Baby Come Back.'

1996 - Ian Brown
Manchester band The Stone Roses split up. Singer Ian Brown said 'having spent the last ten years in the filthiest business in the universe, it's a pleasure to announce the end of The Stone Roses.'

2000 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Holler / Let Love Lead The Way'. The group made musical history by scoring their ninth No.1 making them joint fourth in the list of acts that have had nine UK No.1 singles.

2001 - John Lydon
Winners at this years 'Q' awards included, Ash, best single for 'Burn Baby Burn', Starsailor won best new act, Travis won best album for 'The Invisible Band', Manic Street Preachers won best live act and John Lydon won the Inspiration award.

2003 - Village People
Research in the US found that songs get stuck in our heads because they create a 'brain itch' that can only be scratched by repeating a tune over and over. Songs such as the Village People's 'YMCA' and the Baha Men's 'Who Let The Dogs Out' owe their success to their ability to create a 'cognitive itch', according to Professor James Kellaris, of the University of Cincinnati College of Business Administration.

Post 1 of 2 concluded.   
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2003 - P Diddy
P Diddy promised to investigate claims that his clothing company used a sweatshop factory in Honduras. An American organization campaigning for workers' rights, said conditions at the factory were wholly unacceptable claiming workers were paid less than a dollar an hour, forced to work overtime, subjected to body searches and dismissed if they got pregnant.

2005 - The Beatles
A set of waxwork heads of The Beatles from their Sgt. Pepper's album cover sold for £81,500. The "pepperheads" were auctioned off after recently being discovered in a back room at London's Madame Tussauds. They were used in 1967 by artist Sir Peter Blake in the backdrop of the "Lonely Hearts Club Band" album with the actual Beatles posing at the front.

2006 - McFly
McFly scored their 6th UK No.1 single with 'Star Girl'. The song was played in space to wake up the astronauts on the space station, after a successful twitter campaign asking NASA to play the song started by band member Tom Fletcher.

2007 - Kylie Minogue
Kylie Minogue was honored with the Music Industry Trust prize for her 20-year career and status as an "icon of pop and style" at a London ceremony. The first time in the event's 16-year history that the award has gone to a woman, past winners included Sir Elton John and Peter Gabriel.

2007 - Johnny Cash
Walk the Line, the film about the life of singer Johnny Cash was voted the greatest music biopic in a poll. The film starred Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon as Cash and his wife June Carter as the country stars and won the actress an Oscar in 2006. It was followed by rapper Eminem's 8 Mile, with Mozart's life story Amadeus next and Ray, starring Jamie Foxx as musician Ray Charles, at number four. The most recent film in the top 10 was Joy Division biopic Control.

2009 - Michael Jackson
Forbes Magazine reported that Michael Jackson had earned about 72 million dollars since his death on June 25th. That was good enough for third place on their list of dead celebrities making the most money. Fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent came in first at $350 million, songwriters Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein were second with $235 million and Elvis Presley was fourth, earning $55 million.

2013 - Lady Gaga
Hundreds of viewers complained about Lady Gaga's recent UK performance on The X Factor according to Ofcom. Around 200 people contacted the broadcasting watchdog about her outfit of shells and flesh-coloured underwear. Another 60 viewers complained directly to ITV about the singer's appearance, before the 9pm watershed.

2013 - John Lennon
John Lennon's first home, in Liverpool, was sold for £480,000 at an auction held at The Cavern Club. The red brick terrace at 9 Newcastle Road, Wavertree, was where the member of The Beatles lived from birth, in 1940, until he was five. The property has a rear yard and is a few streets away from Penny Lane, made famous by The Beatles.

2014 - Phil Collins
Phil Collins handed over his large collection of Alamo memorabilia to a Texas museum, calling the donation the end of a six-decade "journey". "I'm 64," he said of his fascination with the 1836 battle. "When I was five or six years old, this thing began." Collins' collection included a fringed leather pouch used by Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie's legendary knife.

2016 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan said he accepted his Nobel Prize in literature, ending a silence since being awarded the prize earlier this month. He said the honor had left him "speechless". The foundation said it had not yet been decided if the singer would attend the awards ceremony in December.

2018 - James Edwin Farrar
Singer, songwriter and musician James Edwin Farrar died due to heart failure, at the age of 67. He was the original lead singer of the Raw Energy band and the second lead singer of the American Southern Rock band Molly Hatchet from 1980 to 1982, and in more recent years, Gator Country.

2019 - Ed Sheehan
Ed Sheeran became the UK’s richest star under 30 according to the annual Rich List of Britain’s wealthiest young stars with an estimated fortune of £170million - almost double his worth last year. Coming in second was Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe with £90million and former One Direction singer Harry Styles was placed at number three.

Born on this day in the music world.
1944 - Denny Laine
English musician, singer, songwriter Denny Laine who with The Moody Blues, had the 1965 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Go Now'. As a member of Wings he had the 1974 UK No.3 single.

1946 - Rob Van Leeuwen
Rob Van Leeuwen, Shocking Blue, (1970 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Venus').

1946 - Peter Green
English guitarist, singer, songwriter Peter Green the founder of Fleetwood Mac. Was a member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, (replaced Eric Clapton), and Fleetwood Mac scored the 1969 UK No.1 single 'Albatross' and other hits include 'Black Magic Woman', 'Oh Well' and 'Man of the World'. He left Fleetwood Mac in 1970. Green died in his sleep age 73 on 26 Jul 2020.

1948 - Ricky Reynolds
Ricky Reynolds, from American Southern rock band Black Oak Arkansas, known for their 70s US No.1 radio hit single 'Jim Dandy To The Rescue'.

1951 - David Paton
Scottish bassist, guitarist and singer David Paton who with Pilot had the 1975 UK No.1 single 'January'. He also worked with Camel, Elton John, Fish and Rick Wakeman.

1954 - Steve Luscombe
Steve Luscombe, from English synth-pop band Blancmange, who had the 1982 UK No.7 single 'Living On The Ceiling'.

1955 - Kevin DuBrow
Kevin DuBrow, singer, Quiet Riot, (1983 US No.1 album, 'Metal Health'). Found dead in his Las Vegas home at the age of 52 on 25th Nov 2007. The band's biggest hit was **ahem** on Feel the Noise, a cover of the Slade song which they are said to have grudgingly recorded in just one take.

1955 - Roger O'Donnell
Roger O'Donnell, keyboardist with English rock band The Cure who had the 1989 US No.2 single 'Love Song', the 1992 UK No.6 single 'Friday I'm In Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles. He has also worked with the Psychedelic Furs, the Thompson Twins and Berlin.

1962 - Einar Orn
Einar Orn, vocals, The Sugarcubes, (1992 UK No.17 single 'Hit').

1965 - Peter Timmins
Peter Timmins, with Canadian alternative country/blues/folk rock band, Cowboy Junkies.

1969 - Roni Size
Roni Size, DJ, producer, 1997 Mercury Music Prize-winner.

1970 - Toby Smith
Toby Smith, keyboards, with Jamiroquai who had the 1993 UK No.1 album Emergency on Planet Earth and the 1998 UK No.1 single 'Deeper Underground'. Smith died on 11 April 2017 aged 46 after he had been diagnosed with cancer six years earlier.

1984 - Chris Baio
American musician, Chris Baio from Vampire Weekend. 2010 US & UK No.1 album, ‘Contra’ and the 2013 US No.1 album 'Modern Vampires of the City'.

That is music history for today. Enjoy the read. Until tomorrow, have a great day, take care and stay safe.   

MOHLovesAlaska

A little bit of a late start this morning, but here we are. Enjoy todays 'Music history'. 

This is post 1 of 2:

1959 - Cliff Richard
Cliff Richard and the Shadows were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Travelling' Light'. Their 6th release and second No.1 hit.

1961 - The Beatles
Two days after Beatles fan Raymond Jones asked for The Beatles' German single ‘My Bonnie’ (recorded with Tony Sheridan) at Brian Epstein's NEMS record store in Liverpool, two girls asked for the same record. Epstein's difficulty in locating the record was due to him not knowing that the record was released, not by The Beatles, but by Tony Sheridan and 'The Beat Brothers' ('Beatles' resembles a vulgar slang word in German, so The Beatles' name was changed for this single).

1963 - The Beatles
On the final day of their Swedish tour, The Beatles recorded an appearance for the Sverige Television program ‘Drop In’ in Stockholm. They performed ‘She Loves You’, ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, and ‘Long Tall Sally.’

1967 - Brian Jones
Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones admitted in court to possession of cannabis and allowing his flat to be used for the smoking of the drug. His plea of 'not guilty' to the charge of possessing methergine and cocaine was accepted. Jones was sentenced to nine months in Wormwood Scrubs prison. He was released on bail the following day.

1967 - Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex recorded a session for the UK Radio 1 'Top Gear' show, the first group to do so without a recording contract.

1970 - Elton John
Elton John released his third studio album Tumbleweed Connection. The cover photo for the album was taken at Horsted Keynes railway station, 30 miles south of London and captured John and Bernie Taupin in front of the late-nineteenth-century station to represent the album's rural Americana concept, despite the English location. 

1970 - Hotlegs
Hotlegs made their live debut supporting The Moody Blues at the Festival Hall, London. Their only hit 'Neanderthal Man' made No. 2 in July 1970. The members from the group went on to become 10cc.

1970 - Jim Morrison
Jim Morrison of The Doors was fined and sentenced to six months in jail after being found guilty of exposing himself during a gig in Miami.

1971 - John Lennon
John Lennon and The Plastic Ono Band went to No.1 on the UK album chart with Imagine. The album contained two tracks attacking Paul McCartney, 'How Do You Sleep' and 'Crippled Inside.' Early editions of the LP included a postcard featuring a photo of Lennon holding a pig, in mockery of McCartney's similar pose with a sheep on the cover of Ram. The front cover photo was a Polaroid taken by Andy Warhol.

1971 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd released their sixth studio album Meddle in the US. The album features 'One Of These Days' and the 23-minute track 'Echoes' which took up all of side 2 on the vinyl record. The cover image was photographed by Bob Dowling. The image represents an ear, underwater, collecting waves of sound, represented by ripples in the water.

1978 - Blondie
Blondie released the single 'Hanging on the Telephone', as the second single from the album Parallel Lines. Written by Jack Lee from US West Coast power pop trio The Nerves. The song gave Blondie their first UK Top 10 hit.

1982 - Men At Work
Australian band Men At Work went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Who Can It Be Now'' the group's first US No.1, a No.45 hit in the UK.

1990 - Axl Rose
Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose was released on $10,000 bail, after being arrested for allegedly hitting a neighbor over the head with a bottle. The incident happened after a complaint to the police about loud music coming from the singer's house.

1998 - Black Sabbath
All four original members of Black Sabbath reunited momentarily to play 'Paranoid' on US TV's David Letterman Show.

2000 - Britney Spears
A new web site was launched to help teach children basic Physics. www.britneyspears.ac featured the singer to illustrate mathematical equations. Visitors could access physics theories generously interspersed with photos of Britney Spears.

2002 - Jam Master Jay
Jam Master Jay from Run-DMC was murdered by an assassin's single bullet at his recording studio in Queens, New York.

2003 - Steve O'Rourke
Steve O'Rourke suffered a stroke and died in Miami, Florida. O'Rourke had managed Pink Floyd since 1968, and was the executive producer for their 1982 film The Wall.

2004 - Vince Neil
An arrest warrant was issued for Motley Crue singer Vince Neil after he allegedly knocked a soundman unconscious during a concert. Neil was said to have punched Michael Talbert in the face at Gilley's nightclub in Dallas after he asked the soundman for more volume on his guitar but attacked Talbert as he adjusted it, leaving him unconscious for 45 seconds.

End of post 1.   

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2005 - Cliff Richard
Hundreds of people queued outside the Sheffield Arena to make sure of getting tickets to see a Sir Cliff Richard. By the time the tickets went on sale some fans had been outside the Arena for nine days, the concert was not until November 2006.

2006 - Arctic Monkeys
Winners at the 2006 Q Awards included The Arctic Monkeys who had four nominations, the Sheffield group won the best album and the people's choice awards, while U2 picked up the prize for innovation. Smokey Robinson was honored with his first ever UK award for his outstanding contribution to music, and Boy George won the classic song award for Karma Chameleon. Muse won best live act, The Who received the Q legend award and Primal Scream won the Q groundbreaker award and Corinne Bailey Rae won best new act.

2007 - Elvis Presley
Forbes.com reported that Elvis Presley had regained his crown as the highest-earning dead celebrity, with an annual income of $49m (£23.7m) during the past year. John Lennon ranked second with $44m (£21.3m), while Peanuts cartoon creator Charles M Schulz was third on the list, Beatle George Harrison was fourth with $22m (£10.6m). Nirvana's Kurt Cobain topped the list in 2006.

2007 - Linda Stein
Linda Stein, former co-manager of punk band the Ramones, was found beaten to death at her Manhattan apartment. Mrs. Stein was the ex-wife of Seymour Stein, former president of Sire Records, which was the launching pad for the Ramones, Talking Heads and Madonna. Mrs. Stein had become one of New York's leading estate agents, her clients included Sting and Billy Joel, long-time friend Sir Elton John told the New York Times he was "absolutely shocked and upset".

2008 - Mike Terry
American producer and saxophonist Mike Terry died in Detroit aged 68. Worked with Martha And The Vandellas, Jackie Wilson, Mary Wells, The Four Tops, The Supremes, Kim Weston, Marvin Gaye, The Isley Brothers and Edwin Starr.

2015 - Adele
Adele went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hello', the lead track from her third album 25. The track was streamed 7.32 million times in its first week, breaking the streaming record previously held by Justin Bieber's 'What Do You Mean?' The song also debuted at No.1 in Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Slovakia and Switzerland.

2016 - Curly Putman
American songwriter Curly Putman died aged 85. He wrote 'Green, Green Grass of Home' which was covered by many artists including: Elvis Presley, Johnny Darrell, Gram Parsons, Joan Baez, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Porter Wagoner, Merle Haggard, Joe Tex and Tom Jones. He also co-wrote (with Bobby Braddock), 'D-I-V-O-R-C-E' made famous by Tammy Wynette

1939 - Eddie Holland
Eddie Holland (Holland/Dozier/Holland), producer, songwriter, wrote Motown hits for Supremes, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Martha & The Vandellas, Freda Payne, Chairmen Of The Board.

1939 - Grace Slick
American singer-songwriter Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane, Starship. Slick provided vocals on a number of iconic songs, including 'Somebody to Love', 'White Rabbit', 'We Built This City' and 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now'.

1939 - Otis Williams
American singer Otis Williams, who with The Temptations had the 1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and re-issued 'My Girl' which was a UK No.2 hit in 1992

1946 - Chris Slade
Chris Slade, drummer, who has worked with Australian rock band AC/DC, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Gary Moore and The Firm.

1947 - Timothy B Schmit
Timothy B Schmit, bass, vocals, Poco, the Eagles, joined in 1977, (1977 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Hotel California', plus 5 US No.1 albums. 'Greatest Hits 1971-1975' is the second biggest selling album in the world with sales over 30m).

1949 - David Green
David Green, bass, for the Australian soft rock band Air Supply who scored the 1980 UK No.11 single 'All Out Of Love' and the 1981 US No.1 single 'The One That You Love'.

1960 - Joey Belladonna
Joey Belladonna, Anthrax, (1991 UK No.16 single 'Got The Time').

1962 - Geoff Beauchamp
Geoff Beauchamp, Eighth Wonder, (1988 UK No.7 single 'I'm Not Scared').

1963 - Jerry De Borg
Jerry De Borg, guitarist with English group Jesus Jones who had the 1990 US No.2 hit with 'Right Here Right Now' and the 1991 UK No.7 single 'International Bright Young Thing'.

1967 - Gavin Rossdale
Gavin Rossdale, English musician and actor, and the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of the rock band Bush who had the 1997 UK No.7 single 'Swallowed'. The bands debut album, Sixteen Stone sold over 7 million copies in the US.

1969 - Snow
Canadian rapper Snow, (Darrin O'Brien), 1993 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Informer').

1970 - Tommy Walter
Tommy Walter, bassist, songwriter, with Eels

1973 - Maurizio Lobina
Maurizio Lobina, keyboards, Italian group Eiffel 65, (1999 UK No.1 single 'Blue (Da Ba Dee'). The single was also No.1 in Norway, Austria, Finland, Germany and Denmark.

1989 - Vanessa White
Vanessa White, best known for being a member of girl group The Saturdays who scored the 2013 UK No.1 hit single 'What About Us' featuring Sean Paul.

That concludes another day in history of music. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.   

MOHLovesAlaska

Welcome to this beautiful Saturday morning, and another day of this day in music history. 

Post 1 of 2: 

1952 - Chuck Berry
Pianist Johnnie Johnson hired 26 year old Chuck Berry as a guitarist in his band. While playing evening gigs in the St. Louis area, Berry kept his day job as a hairdresser for the next three years.

1954 - Vera Lynn
Vera Lynn was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'My Son, My Son.' The singers only No.1 hit. Lynn who had three songs in the first ever Top 12 in 1952 was known as the "Forces Sweetheart" during World War II.

1959 - The Quarry Men
The Quarry Men decided to change their name to Johnny and the Moondogs. The band were in Liverpool auditioning for the Carrol Levis show. The Quarry Men featured John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison.

1963 - Gerry And The Pacemakers
Gerry And The Pacemakers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You'll Never Walk Alone.' The group's third and final No.1.

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles returned to London from Sweden and were greeted by hundreds of screaming fans and a mob of photographers and journalists. American television host Ed Sullivan was at Heathrow as The Beatles arrived, and was struck by the sight of Beatlemania in full swing; he decided to look into getting this group to appear on his US television program.

1964 - Ray Charles
Ray Charles was arrested by Logan Airport customs officials in Boston and charged with possession of heroin. This was his third drug charge, following incidents in 1958 and 1961. Charles avoided prison after kicking the habit in a clinic in Los Angeles, but spent a year on parole in 1966.

1964 - The Supremes
The Supremes started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Baby Love', the group's second of five consecutive US No.1's. The group were formerly known as the five piece group The Primettes.

1967 - Brian Jones
Rolling Stone Brian Jones was released from Wormwood Scrubs prison on £750 bail pending appeal. Jones had been found guilty of possession of cannabis. Seven Stones fans were arrested and charged with obstructing the police after demonstrating outside the prison gates.

1969 - David Bowie
David Bowie appeared at a Halloween night at the General Gordon, Gravesend, England. The gig lasted about 15 minutes, after Bowie sang 'Space Oddity' to everyone’s delight and then dragged a stool on stage, along with a huge book. He then sat and read poems and was booed off stage.

1970 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin started a four week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Led Zeppelin III the bands second US chart topper.

1970 - Stevie Wonder
'Motown Chartbusters Vol 4' went to No.1 on the UK album chart. The album featured tracks from The Jackson Five, Marvin Gaye, & Tammi Terrell, The Four Tops, The Supremes, The Temptations and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.

1974 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin held the UK launch for their new record label Swan Song at Chislehurst Caves, Kent, England on Halloween night. Drinks were served by nuns in suspenders, a naked woman lay in a coffin covered in jelly and naked male wrestlers cavorted in recesses of the caves. Label mates Bad Company, The Pretty Things and Maggie Bell also attended. The launch also tied in with the releases of The Pretty Things new album Silk Torpedo. The label was named after an unreleased Zeppelin instrumental track.

1986 - Bob Geldof
A new series of TV's Channel 4's The Tube started with Jermaine Stewart, Troublefunk, Bob Geldof and Frankie Goes To Hollywood plus Spandau Ballet who played live in the studio at Newcastle upon Tyne.

1986 - Roger Waters
Roger Waters went to the high court to try and stop David Gilmour and Nick Mason from using the name 'Pink Floyd', for future touring and recording.

1987 - Madonna
Forbes Magazine listed the Top 40 American entertainment earners from 86-87, 8th was Whitney Houston $44 million, 7th Madonna $47 million and third place Bruce Springsteen $56 million.

1989 - Squeeze
The very first MTV unplugged show was recorded in New York, featuring UK band Squeeze, the program was aired on 26th Nov 1989.

1990 - Roger Scott
UK DJ Roger Scott died of cancer aged 46. Scott was one of the most respected broadcasters in the UK, working on Capital Radio for 15 years and then BBC Radio 1. Working as a presenter at the Montreal station 1470 CFOX, Scott sang on ‘Give Peace a Chance’, recorded by John Lennon and Yoko Ono during their "Bed-in" for peace at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, Canada.

1990 - Billy Idol
During a gig in Seattle, Washington, Billy Idol dumped 600 dead fish in Faith No More's dressing room. They responded by walking on stage, naked during Idol's set.

1992 - Boyz II Men
Boyz II Men were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'End Of The Road', taken from the film 'Boomerang'. The quartet from Philadelphia were Motown's biggest selling act of the 1990s, with 5 US No.1,s.

1993 - Flea
Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea was at the scene of actor's River Phoenix fatal collapse in Los Angeles.

1995 - James Brown
James Brown was arrested in Aiken, South Carolina for assaulting his 47 year old wife, Adrienne, who said that her husband hit her with a mirror. Adrienne died in January, 1996 and the assault charges against James were dropped.

1996 - Slash
Slash announced he was no longer in Guns N' Roses. The guitarist said that Axl Rose and he had only been civil to each other on two occasions since 1994.

1998 - Cher
Chart history was made when the UK Top 5 singles chart was made up entirely of new entries. Alanis Morissette went in at No.5, Culture Club at No.4, U2 at No.3, George Michael at No.2 and Cher with 'Believe' at No.1. It made Cher (who was 52) the first female artist to have a No.1 single over the age of 50. The song was a No.1 in 23 countries.

2000 - David Gray
Winners at this years Q Awards included, David Gray, best single for 'Babylon', Oasis won best live act, Coldplay won best album for Parachutes, best act in the world went to Travis, Badly Drawn Boy won best new act and former Clash member Joe Strummer won the Q Inspiration award.

End of post 1.  
MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Post 2 of 2:

2000 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears paid £6,000 to hire a private bar in Leipzig, Germany during a night off on her 'Oops!... I did It Again Tour.' Britney who at 18 was banned from drinking in the US was reported to be knocking back vodka laced White Russians and Pina Coladas.

2002 - Bjork
The mother of pop star Bjork ended a hunger strike she had staged to protest against plans for a by a US company to build a aluminum smelter and hydroelectric plant power plant in the Icelandic wilderness. Hildur Runa Hauksdottir began eating again after four week's of fasting.

2004 - R Kelly
R. Kelly was kicked off a tour with Jay-Z, a day after claiming he was attacked with pepper spray by a member of the rapper's entourage. Kelly alleged he had been sprayed by a member of Jay-Z's entourage during a performance in New York. But Jay-Z's publicist denied that the rapper or any of his associates were involved. Jay-Z and R Kelly were in the midst of the 40-city Best of Both World's tour, scheduled to run until 28 November.

2005 - John Lennon
The white suit worn by John Lennon on the cover of the Beatles' Abbey Road album sold for $118,000 (£66,385) at an auction in Las Vegas. And an Austin Princess hearse driven by the late star in the documentary Imagine sold for $150,000 (£84,388). A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the items went to Amnesty International.

2007 - Leona Lewis
22-year-old X Factor winner singer Leona Lewis helped boost UK online music downloads to a record 1.7 million in one week making it the biggest week ever for download sales. Lewis sold more than 106,000 downloads of her track ‘Bleeding Love.’

2008 - Amy Winehouse
A couple who admitted supplying drugs including cocaine and ecstasy to singer Amy Winehouse were warned they faced a jail term as they appeared in Snaresbrook Crown Court, England. The charges related to video footage which appeared to show Winehouse smoking a crack pipe. The singer was arrested and questioned over the images but she was not charged.

2013 - Marvin Gaye
Marvin Gaye's family were taking legal action against Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams for copyright infringement over their hit song Blurred Lines. Three of Gaye's children filed legal papers accusing them of copying elements of the song 'Got To Give It Up'. The Gaye family cited excerpts of magazine interviews given by Thicke to support their claim he had admitted to drawing on 'Got to Give it Up' when producing Blurred Lines.

2015 - One Direction
One Direction played the final gig of their world tour before their self-proclaimed extended break. The show in Sheffield, England was the last of 80 shows across 20 countries. But 1D insisted they were not splitting up and instead wanted to focus on solo projects.

Born On This Day In The Music World:

1937 - Tom Paxton
American folk singer-songwriter Tom Paxton. His songs have been recorded by many artists including: Bob Dylan, Sandy Denny, Joan Baez, The Seekers, Marianne Faithfull, John Denver, Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and The Move.

1947 - Russ Ballard
Singer, songwriter and musician Russ Ballard from English rock band Argent who had the 1972 UK No.5 single 'Hold Your Head Up' and the hit and 'God Gave Rock and Roll to You'. Ballard has written songs for many artists including, Roger Daltrey, America, Three Dog Night, Santana and Brian May.

1950 - Moon Martin
American singer, songwriter and guitarist Moon Martin. Originally a rockabilly artist, he wrote the songs ‘Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)’, made famous by the English singer Robert Palmer, and ‘Cadillac Walk’, a hit for American singer Willy DeVille.

1952 - Bernard Edwards
Bernard Edwards, producer and member of Chic, (1978 UK No.7 single 'Le Freak'). Produced ABC, Power Station and Rod Stewart. Edwards died on 18th April 1996.

1956 - Tony Bowers
Tony Bowers, from Alberto Y Los Trios Paranoias and then Simply Red, who had the 1986 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Holding Back The Years'.

1961 - Larry Mullen
Larry Mullen Jr. Irish musician best known as the drummer of U2. Their 1987 UK and worldwide No.1 album Joshua Tree spent 156 weeks on the UK chart. U2 scored five consecutive US No.1 albums from 1987.

1963 - Johnny Marr
Johnny Marr, guitarist with English rock band The Smiths who had the 1984 UK No.10 single 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now', plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles. With Electronic he had the 1991 UK No.8 single 'Get The Message' and with Modest Mouse, the 2007 US No.1 album ‘We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank’. Marr has also worked with The The, The Pretenders, The Cribbs, and Johnny Marr and the Healers.

1963 - Mikkey Dee
Mikkey Dee, Motorhead, (1980 UK No.15 single 'Ace Of Spades').

1964 - Colm O'Ciosoig
Colm O'Ciosoig, My Bloody Valentine, (1991 UK No.29 single 'To Here Knows When').

1965 - Annabella Lwin
Annabella Lwin, vocals, Bow Wow Wow, (1982 UK No.7 single 'Go Wild In The Country').

1966 - Adam Horovitz
Ad-Rock, (Adam Horovitz), The Beastie Boys, (1987 US No.7 & UK No.11 single 'You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party', 1987 US No.1 and UK No.7 album 'License To Ill', plus 3 other US No.1 albums).

1967 - Adam Schlesinger
American singer-songwriter, record producer and guitarist Adam Schlesinger, best known for his work with Fountains Of Wayne and for its 2003 Grammy-nominated single 'Stacy's Mom'. Schlesinger died on 1 April 2020 from complications brought on by COVID-19.

1968 - Alistair Mcerlaine
Alistair Mcerlaine, guitarist, from Scottish pop rock band Texas who had the 1997 UK No.3 single 'Say What You Want', and the 1997 UK No.1 album White On Blonde which has been certified six-times platinum in the UK.

1968 - Al Mackenzie
Al Mackenzie, D:Ream, (1994 UK No.1 single ‘Things Can Only Get Better’).

1970 - Malin Berggren
Malin Berggren, from Swedish pop group Ace Of Base who had the 1993 UK No.1 single 'All That She Wants' and the 1994 US No.1 single 'The Sign'. The group sold more than 30 million albums worldwide, making it the third-most successful Swedish band of all time, after ABBA and Roxette.

1970 - Rogers Stevens
Rogers Stevens guitarist from Blind Melon, a rock band, which began in the 1990s and is most famous for their hit song ‘No Rain’. He has also been a member of the bands Extra Virgin and The Tender Trio, and is an attorney.

1970 - Johnny Moeller
American blues guitarist Johnny Moeller with The Fabulous Thunderbirds who he joined the group in 2007.

1980 - Charles Moniz
Charles Moniz, Canadian bassist in Avril Lavigne's band and the drummer for the band Grade.

1980 - Isabella Summers
English musician Isabella Summers with Florence and the Machine. Summers has also produced remixes for artists including Beyoncé, Juliette Lewis, Nas, Jessica Simpson, Chloe and Halle, Flux Pavilion, Maxine Ashley, Rita Ora, Judith Hill, and The Game.

1981 - Frank Anthony Iero
Frank Anthony Iero, rhythm guitarist with American rock band My Chemical Romance who had the 2006 UK No.1 single ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’, and the 2006 US No.2 album The Black Parade.

1982 - Monica Irimia
Monica and Gabriela Irimia, Cheeky Girls, Romanian duo, (2002 UK No.2 single 'Cheeky Song', Touch My Bum).

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

On this day in music history for Sunday 11/1/20. 

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - The Famous Flames
R&B group The Famous Flames, lead by singer James Brown, cut their first demo of ‘Please, Please, Please’ at a radio station in Macon Georgia. It would lead to their signing with King Records.

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley bought a new Harley Davidson motorbike and spent the day riding round Memphis on his new bike with actress Natalie Wood.

1963 - Peter Jay
The Beatles kicked off a UK tour performing two shows at the Odeon Cinema in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Their repertoire for the tour was ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘From Me to You’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘You Really Got a Hold On Me’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Boys’, ‘Till There Was You’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Money’, and ‘Twist and Shout’. Supporting The Beatles were The Rhythm & Blues Quartet, The Vernon's Girls, Frank Berry, The Brook Brothers, Peter Jay & the Jaywalkers, and The Kestrels.

1966 - The Doors
The Doors played the first night of a month long residency at the Ondine Discotheque, Midtown Manhattan, New York City.

1968 - George Harrison
George Harrison released his first solo album, 'Wonderwall Music' on the Apple label. The songs which were mostly Harrison instrumentals, featured Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and an unaccredited banjo contribution by Peter Tork of The Monkees.

1969 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Suspicious Minds', his 18th US No.1 single. A No.2 hit in the UK.

1969 - The Beatles
The Beatles scored their 13th US No.1 album with Abbey Road. The final studio recordings from the group featured two Harrison songs; 'Something' & 'Here Comes The Sun'. The cover supposedly contained clues adding to the ‘Paul Is Dead’ phenomenon: Paul is barefoot and the car number plate ‘LMW 281F’ supposedly referred to the fact that McCartney would be 28 if he was still alive. ‘LMW’ was said to stand for ‘Linda McCartney Weeps.’ And the four Beatles, represent; the priest (John, dressed in white), the Undertaker (Ringo, black suit), the Corpse (Paul, barefoot), and the Gravedigger (George, in jeans and a denim shirt).

1970 - Joni Mitchell
Matthews Southern Comfort were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Joni Mitchell song 'Woodstock'. The group's only UK No.1 hit.

1975 - Elton John
Elton John started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Island Girl', his 5th US No.1, a No.14 hit in the UK. The lyrics are about a prostitute in New York City and a Jamaican man who wants to take her back to Jamaica.

1975 - Elton John
Elton John started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Island Girl', his 5th US No.1, a No.14 hit in the UK. The lyrics are about a prostitute in New York City and a Jamaican man who wants to take her back to Jamaica.

1980 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen scored his first No.1 US album with 'The River', featuring the US No.5 & UK No.44 single 'Hungry Heart.'

1990 - Ray Pohlman
American session musician and arranger Ray Pohlman died of heart failure at the age of 60. He is credited with being the first electric bass player in Los Angeles studios in the 1950s. He was a member of The Wrecking Crew, who recorded with Phil Spector and The Beach Boys. He was the musical director of the house band, The Shindogs, on the 1960s television show Shindig!

1997 - Aqua
Scandinavian dance-pop act Aqua started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Barbie Girl.' A massive world-wide hit, the single sold more than 8 million copies.

2000 - All Saints
All Saints came top of a poll to find the sexiest female act. 12,000 UK television viewers voted for the group, The Spice Girls came second and Atomic Kitten third. The 50s group The Beverley Sisters were voted into 11th place beating TLC.

2000 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams offered to donate his bone marrow to save a fan's life who was suffering from leukemia, after meeting Johanna MacVicar. Williams asked his fans to sign up as potential donors after being told of the desperate shortage of male donors.

2004 - Natalie Imbruglia
A man who allegedly stalked Australian pop star Natalie Imbruglia, was deemed too mentally ill to be interviewed by police. The 44-year-old fan was arrested after turning up on the doorstep of the singer's £2m home in Berkshire after flying to London from Australia.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

post 2 of 2:

2004 - Terry Knight
61-year old Terry Knight, the former manager of Grand Funk Railroad, was murdered at his home in Killeen, Texas. Knight was defending his daughter during a domestic disturbance, when he was stabbed by her boyfriend, 26 year old Donald Alan Fair. Knight began his music career by leading a Michigan band called Terry Knight and the Pack, who scored a Billboard top 50 hit with ‘I, Who Have Nothing’.

2007 - MTV Europe Music Awards
Winners at this year’s MTV Europe Music Awards held in Munich, Germany included Avril Lavigne who was named best solo artist, and her song Girlfriend was voted most addictive track. Muse won two awards for best UK and Ireland act and best headline act, Linkin Park won the award for best band of 2007, and German band Tokio Hotel took the prize for best international act. Amy Winehouse won the Artist Choice prize, an award chosen by her fellow musicians and The ultimate urban prize went to R&B star Rihanna.

2008 - The Keys
US drummer and singer Jimmy Carl Black died. He was a member of The Keys, The Soul Giants, The Mothers Of Invention and Jimmy Carl Black And The Mannish Boys. Also worked with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors, Joe Cocker, Grateful Dead and The Turtles.

2008 - Shakir Stewart
Shakir Stewart shot himself dead in the bathroom of his home in Atlanta. He worked as a music promoter and was a vice-president of Def Jam Music Group, he signed Rick Ross, Karina Pasian, Ciara and Young Jeezy and worked with LL Cool J and Nas.

2012 - Metal Moustaches
Metal Hammer magazine published a list of the "Top ten rock and heavy metal moustaches…Ever". The list which included moustaches worn by the likes of Frank Zappa, all the members of Black Sabbath, (except Ozzy Osbourne). James Hetfield, and Lemmy placed Freddie Mercury at the top of the list.

2015 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift was being sued for $42m (£27m) for allegedly stealing the lyrics to her hit 2014 song 'Shake It Off', which topped music charts around the world. R&B singer Jesse Braham claimed in legal papers Swift stole the words from a song he wrote in 2013 called 'Haters Gone Hate'.

2016 - Bap Kennedy
Bap Kennedy, singer, songwriter from Belfast, Northern Ireland, died in Belfast in hospice care from pancreatic and bowel cancer. He is noted for his collaborations with Steve Earle, Van Morrison, Shane MacGowan and Mark Knopfler, as well as for writing the song 'Moonlight Kiss' which was on the soundtrack for the film Serendipity. Kennedy was also in the rock band Energy Orchard.

Born on the this day in the music world:

1936 - Andre Williams
Andre Williams, American R&B musician. His most famous songs include the hits ‘Jail Bait,’ ‘Greasy Chicken,’ and ‘Cadillac Jack'. He co-wrote Stevie Wonder's first song, 'Thank You for Loving Me' and was also the co-author of the R&B hit 'Shake a Tail Feather' a hit for The Five Du-Tones and James & Bobby Purify. He died on 17 March 2019 at the age of 82.

1940 - Barry Sadler
Sgt Barry Sadler, (1966 US No.1 single 'The Ballad Of The Green Berets'). He died on 5th November 1989.

1944 - Mike Burney
Mike Burney, Wizzard, (1973 UK No.1 single 'See My Baby Jive').

1946 - Rick Grech
Born on this day British multi-instrumentalist Rick Grech who worked with Family, Blind Faith, Traffic, and Ginger Baker's Air Force. As a session musician Grech also worked with Rod Stewart, Ronnie Lane, Vivian Stanshall, Muddy Waters, The Crickets, Bee Gees and Gram Parsons. Grech died of renal failure on 17 March 1990 at the age of 43, as a result of alcoholism.

1947 - Bob Weston
British musician Bob Weston who had a brief role as guitarist and songwriter with Fleetwood Mac in the early 1970s. He also recorded and performed with a number of other musicians, including Graham Bond, Long John Baldry, Murray Head, Sandy Denny and Danny Kirwan. He died on 3 January 2012 age 64.

1949 - David Foster
David Foster, Canadian musician, producer, composer and arranger who has worked with: The Bee Gees, John Lennon, Michael Bublé, Clay Aiken, Céline Dion, Barbra Streisand, Kenny Rogers, Faith Hill, The Corrs, George Harrison, Chicago, Earth, Wind & Fire, Chaka Khan, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Richard Marx, Mariah Carey, Destiny's Child, Olivia Newton-John, Dolly Parton, Julio Iglesias and Madonna.

1950 - Dan Peek
Dan Peek, America, (1972 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Horse With No Name'). Peek died on 24th July 2011.

1951 - Ronald Bell
American composer, singer, songwriter Ronald Bell, who with Kool & The Gang had the 1981 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Celebration', the 1984 UK No.2 single 'Joanna', and over 15 other Top 40 hits. He died on 9 September 2020 age 68.

1954 - Chris Morris
Chris Morris, guitar, from Paper Lace who scored the 1974 UK No.1 single 'Billy Don't Be A Hero', and the 1974 US No.1 single 'The Night Chicago Died'.

1957 - Lyle Lovett
Lyle Lovett, Country singer, married actress Julia Roberts, supported Dire Straits on their 1990 world tour.

1959 - Eddie Macdonald
Eddie Macdonald, bass, The Alarm, (1983 UK No.17 single '68 Guns')

1962 - Anthony Kiedis
Anthony Kiedis, singer and co-founder of Red Hot Chili Peppers. Had the 1992 UK No.26 single 'Under The Bridge', 2002 UK No.1 album By The Way and 2006 No.1 album Stadium Arcadium. In 2004, he published his autobiography, titled Scar Tissue, which became a New York Times Best Seller.

1962 - Mags Furuholmen
Mags Furuholmen, guitar, keyboards, A-Ha, (1985 US No.1 single 'Take On Me', 1986 UK No.1 single 'The Sun Always Shines On TV'). The first Norwegian group to score a UK and US No.1.

1963 - Rick Allen
Rick Allen, drums, Def Leppard, (1987 UK No.6 single 'Animal', and 1987 world wide No.1 album Hysteria 1988 US No.1 single 'Love Bites'). Allen lost his left arm in an accident after crashing his Corvette Stingray on the A57 outside Sheffield in England in 1984.

1966 - Mary Hanson
Mary Hanson, singer, Stereolab. Hanson died in a cycling accident in England on 9th December 2002.

1969 - Darren Partington
Darren Partington, 808 State, (1989 UK No.10 single 'Pacific State').

1981 - LaTavia Roberson
LaTavia Roberson, Destiny's Child, (2000 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Say My Name'). Quit the group in 2000.

1992 - Sigala
English DJ, record producer and remixer Sigala, (Bruce Fielder). Best known for his 2015 debut and UK No.1 single 'Easy Love', which samples 'ABC' by the Jackson 5.

1992 - Joe Donovan
Joe Donovan, English drummer of the indie pop band Blossoms. Their the self-titled debut studio album peaked at No.1 on the UK chart in Aug 2016.

Have a good day all. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Monday morning, here is what happened on this day in music history. 

Post 1 of 2.

1958 - Tommy Edwards
Tommy Edwards was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'It's All In The Game.' Written by Charles Dawes, later Vice President of the United States under Calvin Coolidge. It is the only No.1 pop single to have been co-written by a US Vice President.

1963 - David Bowie
The Konrad's, featuring David Bowie appeared at Shirley Parish Hall, Shirley, Croydon, England.

1967 - Cream
Cream released their second studio album Disraeli Gears which became the group's American breakthrough, becoming a massive seller in 1968, and reaching No.4 on the American charts. The album features the two singles 'Strange Brew' and 'Sunshine of Your Love'.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles completed recording their next single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at Abbey Road studios London with a second Paul McCartney bass line. The McCartney song had been selected for the A-side for The Beatles next single, the flip side to be Lennon’s ‘I Am The Walrus’.

1969 - Archies
Sugar Sugar by The Archies was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The single became the longest running One Hit Wonder in the UK with eight week's at the top of the charts.

1969 - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Creedence Clearwater Revival released Willy and the Poor Boys, the third studio album that the band released in this year. The album features the songs 'Down on the Corner', from which the album got its name, and 'Fortunate Son', which is a well known protest song and their version of the Lead Belly song 'Cotton Fields'.

1974 - George Harrison
George Harrison became the first Beatle to undertake a solo world tour when he played the first show of a 30-night tour in Vancouver, Canada.

1974 - Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Haven't Done Nothin', the singers fourth US No.1. The track featured The Jackson Five on backing vocals.

1978 - Police
The Police released their debut album, Outlandos d'Amour. The working title, 'Police Brutality,' was changed to make is sound more romantic. The title loosely translates as 'Outlaws of Love' but the term 'Outlandos' is actually a mix of the words for 'Outlaws' and 'Commandos.' Elevated by the success of its lead single, 'Roxanne', Outlandos d'Amour peaked at No. 6 on the UK Albums Chart and at No. 23 in the United States. The album spawned two additional hit singles: 'Can't Stand Losing You' and 'So Lonely'.

1979 - AC/DC
AC/DC played the second of three sold out nights at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, England, with Def Leppard supporting.

1984 - Marvin Gaye
The Rev Marvin Gaye Sr. was sentenced to a suspended six-year sentence and probation for the manslaughter of his son, Marvin Gaye. He later died at a nursing home in 1998.

1991 - U2
U2 scored their second UK No.1 single with 'The Fly', taken from their album 'Achtung Baby'. The song was also a showcase for a persona Bono had invented called "The Fly".

1996 - Eva Cassidy
American vocalist and guitarist Eva Cassidy, died of skin cancer aged 33. Two years after her death, Cassidy's music was brought to the attention of British audiences, when her versions of 'Fields of Gold' and 'Over the Rainbow' were played by Mike Harding and Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2. She is the only artist to score three posthumous UK No.1 albums: 2001’s Songbird; 2002’s Imagine and 2003’s American Tune. In 2001 she also had a UK No.42 single with ‘Over The Rainbow’ and the 2007 UK No.1 single 'What a Wonderful World' with Katie Melua.

1999 - Foo Fighters
Foo Fighters released their third studio album There Is Nothing Left to Lose, the album marks the first appearance of drummer Taylor Hawkins. Early pressings of the disc included a temporary tattoo, similar to the one featured on the album cover.

2002 - Victoria Beckham
Armed police arrested an international gang who were planning to kidnap former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham and her two young children. The gang had planned to ransom Victoria for £5m.

2004 - Eric Clapton
Guitarist Eric Clapton collected his CBE from Buckingham Palace for his services to music.

2007 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin's eagerly-awaited reunion concert in London was postponed for two weeks after guitarist Jimmy Page broke a finger. The tribute concert in honour of late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun scheduled for 26 November would now take place on 10 December. More than a million fans applied for the 20,000 tickets available, which cost £125 each. Profits from the show would go towards scholarships in Ertegun's name in the UK, USA and the country of his birth Turkey.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2007 - Ozzy Osbourne
Ozzy Osbourne claimed his reputation had been tarnished after a party supposedly involving him was organized by US police officers to round up missing criminal suspects. Over 500 people in North Dakota with outstanding arrest warrants were sent invitations and more than 30 suspects turned up. Osbourne said it was "insulting" that his name had been used but police argued it was a "creative" way to fight crime. Ozzy had been selected because he was due to play a gig in a nearby arena, which was used to explain why he would supposedly have attending the party.

2008 - X-Factor
X-Factor Finalists started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hero', to raise money for Help for Heroes ‘ a charity that provides support for wounded servicemen and women, and the Poppy Appeal. The song was a Top 10 hit for Mariah Carey in 1993.

2009 - Ronnie Wood
Ronnie Wood was given an Outstanding Contribution award at the Classic Rock Roll of Honour ceremony in London, England. Who guitarist Pete Townshend presented the award to Wood, who had joined The Rolling Stones full time in 1976.

2014 - Acker Bilk
Acker Bilk, the clarinet player passed away at the age of 85. Bilk's 1962 instrumental tune 'Stranger on the Shore' became the UK's biggest selling single of 1962: it was in the UK charts for more than 50 weeks, peaked at No.2, and was the first No.1 single in the United States by a British artist in the era of the modern Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.

2015 - Adele
Adele went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hello', the lead track from her third album 25. 'Hello' became the first song to sell more than a million digital copies in a single week and the third highest weekly sales total since Nielsen Sound Scan began tracking sales in 1991.

2016 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift was the highest-paid woman in music, according to Forbes' annual list, having earned more than double her nearest competitor Adele. The 26-year-old pop star had amassed earnings of $170m (£137.8m) over the past year, mainly thanks to a world tour named after her recent 1989 album.

2018 - Chris Cornell
The widow of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell was suing his doctor, accusing him of overprescribing drugs that ultimately led to his death in 2017. Vicki Cornell alleged that Dr Robert Koblin 'negligently and repeatedly' prescribed the singer 'dangerous mind-altering controlled substances'. Cornell was found in a Detroit hotel room and his death was ruled a suicide.

2018 - Glenn Schwartz
American guitarist Glenn Schwartz the original guitar player of the James Gang died at the age of 78. He later joined the Los Angeles based blues band Pacific Gas & Electric and in 1970, scored a national top 20 hit with the song ‘Are You Ready?’

1936 - Max Crook
American musician Max Crook. A pioneer of electronic music he was the featured soloist on Del Shannon’s 1961 hit 'Runaway', which he co-wrote and on which he played his own invention, the Musitron. Crook also recorded a series of instrumentals, credited as Maximilian. He died on 1 July 2020 age 83.

1937 - Earl Carroll
American singer Earl Carroll lead vocalist for the doo-wop group The Cadillacs, the group's biggest hit was 'Speedo', Carroll's subsequent nickname. He joined The Coasters in 1961. Carroll died on Nov 25th 2012.

1941 - Bruce Welch
Bruce Welch, guitar, The Shadows, (1960 UK No.1 single 'Apache' plus 28 other UK top 40 singles), Member of Marvin Welch and Farrar and producer.

1941 - Brian Poole
Brian Poole, British singer, the lead singer of 1960s beat band the Tremeloes (1957–1962) then Brian Poole and the Tremeloes (1962–1967). He scored the 1963 UK No.1 'Do You Love Me' and the 1967 UK No.1 & US No.11 single 'Silence Is Golden'. His daughters Karen and Shellie formed Alisha's Attic in the 90s.

1944 - Keith Emerson
Keith Emerson, keyboards, from English progressive rock band The Nice, who had the 1968 UK hit single an instrumental rearrangement of Leonard Bernstein's 'America'. And as Emerson Lake and Palmer, had the 1977 UK No.2 single 'Fanfare For The Common Man'. Emerson died on 11 March 2016 in Santa Monica, California, of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He had become "depressed, nervous and anxious" because nerve damage in his hands had hampered his playing.

1945 - John David Souther
John David Souther, singer, songwriter. The Souther, Hillman, Furay Band, (1974 US No.27 single 'Fallin' In Love').

1947 - Dave Pegg
English multi-instrumentalist Dave Pegg from UK folk group, Fairport Convention. Pegg has also worked with many other artists including Nick Drake, John Martyn, Sandy Denny, Richard & Linda Thompson.

1952 - Maxine Nightingale
Maxine Nightingale, singer, (1975 UK No.8 single 'Right Back Where We Started').

1956 - Chris Fairbrass
Chris Fairbrass, guitar, Right Said Fred, (1991 US No.1 & UK No.2 single ‘I’m Too Sexy’, 1993 UK No.1 album ‘Up’).

1957 - Carter Beauford
Carter Beauford, American drummer, percussionist, and founding member of Dave Matthews Band. Beauford was ranked No.10 by a Rolling Stone magazine reader's poll in 2010 for greatest drummers of all time.

1961 - Kd Lang
Kathryn Dawn Lang, (kd Lang), singer, songwriter, (1993 UK No.15 single 'Constant Craving').

1962 - Ron McGovney
Ron McGovney the original bass guitarist in Metallica from October 1981 to December 1982 having previously played with guitarist James Hetfield in the garage band Leather Charm.

1965 - Bobby Dall
Bobby Dall, Poison, bassist from American rock band Poison who scored the 1988 US No.1 & 1989 UK No.13 single 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn' and have sold over 45 million records worldwide.

1969 - Andy Barker
Andy Barker, from English electronic music group 808 State who had the 1989 UK No.10 single 'Pacific State'. They took their name from the Roland TR-808 drum machine.

1969 - Reginald Arvizu
Reginald Arvizu, bassist from American nu metal band Korn who scored the 1998 US No.1 album, Follow The Leader. Twelve of the band's official releases have peaked in the top ten of the Billboard Chart.

1975 - Chris Walla
Chris Walla, guitarist, Death Cab for Cutie, 2008 US No.1 album ‘Narrow Stairs.’

1979 - Nelly
Nelly, (Cornell Haynes Jr), 2000 US No.1 album 'Country Grammar, ' 2002 US & UK No.1 single 'Dilemma'.

That concludes another, this day in music history. Have a great Monday. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.   
MOHLovesAlaska

Good day to all. Here is what happened on this Tuesday in the music history world. 

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Jerry Lee Lewis
Sun Records released 'Great Balls Of Fire', by Jerry Lee Lewis. The single went on to sell over five million copies worldwide, and was a No.1 hit in the UK and No.2 in the US.

1958 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley went on maneuvers for the first time with the US Army's 32nd Tank Regiment near the German, Czech border.

1960 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley had his fifth UK No.1 single with 'It's Now Or Never', it stayed at No.1 for eight weeks. The song which was based on the Italian song, 'O Sole Mio', gave Presley his first post-army No.1.

1962 - The Crystals
The Crystals started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'He's A Rebel', it made No.19 on the UK chart.

1964 - The Rolling Stones
During a Rolling Stones North American tour a 17 year-old Stones fan fell from the balcony during a gig in Cleveland, Ohio. The Mayor of Ohio banned all future pop concerts, saying; "Such groups do not add to the community's culture or entertainment."

1967 - The Beatles
The filming for The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour was completed finishing with a sequence at Ringo's country house in Weybridge, Surrey, BBC television bought the rights to broadcast the film twice, the first broadcast, in black-and-white was scheduled for December 26, 1967. The second showing, on the color channel BBC2, was not yet available to all Britons, was set for January 5, 1968.

1972 - Carly Simon
James Taylor and Carly Simon were married by a judge in Simon's Manhattan apartment, beginning their eleven year marriage. That evening, Simon joined him on stage at New York's Radio City Music Hall and announced their union to a cheering audience.

1973 - David Bowie
David Bowie scored his second UK No.1 album when 'Pinups' started a five-week run at the top of the charts. The set contained Bowie covering his favorite 60s songs; his version of The Mersey's 'Sorrow' made No.3 on the UK singles chart, (first recorded by The McCoy's in 1965).

1973 - Hall and Oates
Daryl Hall and John Oates released Abandoned Luncheonette. The most well-known track from the album 'She's Gone' did not become a hit when first released but gained momentum from two later covers, one by Lou Rawls, and one by Tavares. After the latter cover topped the Billboard R&B chart in 1974, the original was re-released and became a top 10 pop hit in 1976, reaching No. 7 in the US.

1977 - Elton John
During a concert at the Empire Pool, Wembley, London, Elton John announced his retirement from live performances.

1979 - Robin Scott
One Hit Wonder M went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Pop Music' was Robin Scott who scored one other UK top 40 hit, 'Pop Music' made No.2 in the UK. 

1984 - Billy Ocean
Billy Ocean started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Caribbean Queen'. The song was originally called 'European Queen'.

1984 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney went to No.1 on the UK album chart with the film soundtrack to 'Give My Regards To Broad Street', featuring the UK No.2 single 'No More Lonely Nights.'

1990 - The Righteous Brothers
25 years after their version was recorded, The Righteous Brothers went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Unchained Melody'. The track had been featured in the Patrick Swayze film 'Ghost.' Written by Alex North and Hy Zarate, 'Unchained Melody is one of the most recorded songs of the 20th century, with over 500 versions in hundreds of different languages.

1990 - Vanilla Ice
'Ice Ice Baby', by Vanilla Ice became the first rap record to top the US singles chart, (and later also a UK No.1 single). The track was initially released as the B-side to the rapper's cover of 'Play That Funky Music', and became the A-side after US DJ's started playing the track.

1991 - Bill Graham
A free concert was held in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco to honor the memory of promoter Bill Graham, who was killed in a helicopter crash the week before. Crosby, Stills Nash & Young, Grateful Dead, Journey and Joan Baez were the featured acts.

1992 - Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi released their fifth studio album, Keep The Faith, which spent a total of 49 weeks on the US chart. The album produced three Top 40 hits: 'Keep The Faith', 'Bed of Roses' and 'In These Arms'.

1993 - Leon Theremin
Russian inventor Leon Theremin died. Most famous for his invention of the Theremin, one of the first electronic musical instruments. He first performed the Theremin with the New York Philharmonic in

1995 - Hootie and the Blowfish
Hootie and the Blowfish reached an out of court settlement with Bob Dylan for the group's unauthorized use of Dylan's lyrics in their song 'Only Want To Be With You'.

End of post 1 of 2.   
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 Of 2:

1997 - Metallica
Metallica came to a out of court agreement with a fan who claimed he lost his sense of smell after being dropped on his head by fans at one of their shows four years earlier.

2002 - Lonnie Donegan
Lonnie Donegan, died mid-way through a UK tour and shortly before he was due to perform at a memorial concert for George Harrison with The Rolling Stones. He was aged 71. Donegan who launched the Skiffle craze in the UK had the 1959 hit ‘Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor’, the 1960 UK No.1 single 'My Old Man's A Dustman', 'Rock Island Line', plus over 30 other UK Top 40 singles.

2003 - P. Diddy
P Diddy ran in the New York City Marathon and raised $2,000,000 for the educational system for the children of New York. He finished the marathon in four hours and eighteen minutes.

2005 - Madonna
Winners at this years MTV Europe awards included Coldplay who won best UK act and best song for 'Speed Of Sound’, Green Day won best rock act and best album, Alicia Keys was named best R&B act, System of a Down won best alternative act, The Black Eyed Peas won the best pop award and for the first time, the awards included a category for best African act, won by 2 Face. Madonna, in her first live TV performance since a riding accident, launched the show by emerging from a giant disco ball. Madonna also presented MTV's 'Free Your Mind' humanitarian award to Live 8 organizer Bob Geldof.

2013 - YouTube Awards
The first ever YouTube awards were held in New York City. The event featured Eminem, Lady Gaga and M.I.A making live music videos directed by the awards' creator, Spike Jonze, and others. Eminem won Artist of the Year, while Taylor Swift's 'I Knew You Were Trouble' took the YouTube Phenomenon award.

2015 - George Michael
A former prison officer was jailed for 12 months after admitting selling stories about George Michael to the Sun newspaper for £2,150, ($3,249). Michael was jailed for eight weeks in September 2010 for crashing his Range Rover while under the influence of cannabis.

2019 - Bruce Dickinson
Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson, left his wife of 29 years to move in with a 'superfan' 15 years his junior. It was reported that the singer was now living with fitness instructor Leana Dolci at her Paris home.

1933 - John Barry
English composer and conductor John Barry. He composed the scores for 11 of the James Bond films between 1963 and 1987. He wrote the Grammy- and Academy Award-winning scores to the films Dances with Wolves and Out of Africa, as well as the theme for the British television cult series The Persuaders! Barry died of a heart attack on 31st January 2011 aged 77.

1943 - Bert Jaensch
Bert Jaensch, UK folk singer, songwriter, guitarist with Pentangle, John Renbourn and solo. He died on 5 October 2011.

1946 - Nick Simper
Nick Simper, English bass guitarist with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, The Flower Pot Men, and Lord Sutch's Savages. Simper was in the 1966 car crash that Killed Johnny Kid, became a founder member of Deep Purple. He quit the band in 1969.

1946 - Tommy Dee
Tommy Dee, from John Fred and His Playboy Band who had the 1968 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)' which was a parodic play on the title of The Beatles' song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'.

1948 - Lulu
Marie Lawrie, (Lulu), UK singer, (1964 UK No.7 single 'Shout' plus over 10 other UK Top 40 singles including 1993 UK No.1 'Relight My Fire' with Take That and the 1967 US No.1 single 'To Sir With Love').

1954 - Adam Ant
English singer and musician Stuart Goddard, (Adam Ant), who had the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Stand And Deliver' with Adam and the Ants. He scored 10 UK top ten hits from 1980 to 1983, including three UK No.1 singles. He has also worked as an actor, appearing in over two dozen films and television episodes from 1985 to 2003.

1960 - James Prime
James Prime, with Deacon Blue who had the 1988 UK No.8 single 'Real Gone Kid', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

1962 - Ian McNabb
Ian McNabb, guitar, vocals, Icicle Works, (1984 UK No.15 single 'Love Is A Wonderful Color'), solo, worked with Crazy Horse.

1962 - Marilyn
Marilyn, singer, (1983 UK No.4 single 'Calling Your Name').

1969 - Mark Roberts
Mark Roberts, guitarist with alternative rock band Catatonia who had the 1998 UK No.3 single 'Mulder And Scully'. The song makes direct reference to fictional FBI special agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), the two main characters of the popular sci-fi TV series The X-Files.

1969 - Robert Miles
Swiss-born Italian record producer, composer, musician and DJ Robert Miles, (1996 UK No.2 single 'Children'). Miles died in Ibiza, Spain, on 9 May 2017 at the age of 47 after a 9-month battle with stage 4 metastatic cancer.

1973 - Mick Thomson
Mick Thomson lead guitarist in the metal band Slipknot, in which he is designated #7. Slipknot is well known for its attention-grabbing image, aggressive style of music, and energetic and chaotic live shows.

That is music history for this day. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.   
MOHLovesAlaska

Good morning Pandorians, here is post 1 of 2 for this day in history of music.

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Jackie Wilson
Jackie Wilson made his US chart debut with 'Reet Petite', (it made No.1 in the UK in 1986, 29 years after its first release).

1961 - Cliff Richard
Cliff Richard scored his first UK No.1 album with his 5th release '21 Today'. The album was released on October 14, 1961, the exact date of Cliff Richard's 21st birthday. Side 1 of the album contained rock tunes while side 2 consisted of ballads.

1963 - The Rolling Stones
The night after The Rolling Stones had just come off a 30-date UK tour with The Everly Brothers, they kicked off another 50-date UK club tour at the Top Rank Ballroom in Preston.

1963 - John Lennon
The Beatles topped the bill at The Royal Variety Show at The Prince Of Wales Theatre, London. With the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret in the audience, this was the night when John Lennon made his famous remark ‘In the cheaper seats you clap your hands. The rest of you, just rattle your jewelry’. The show was broadcast on UK television on the Nov 10th 1963.

1966 - Beach Boys
The Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations', entered the UK chart and went on to be a UK & US No.1 hit single. As a child, Brian Wilson's mother told him that dogs could pick up "vibrations" from people, so that the dog would bark at "bad vibrations". Wilson turned this into the general idea for the song.

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd made their US live debut when they appeared at the Winterland Auditorium, San Francisco, California. Floyd shared the bill with local group Big Brother & The Holding Company, featuring singer Janis Joplin and singer / songwriter Richie Havens.

1969 - Ivory Watson
Founder member of The Ink Spots, Ivory Watson died aged 60. The group who formed in the early 1930s in Indianapolis, had the 1939 US hit ‘If I Didn't Care’, and ‘The Gypsy’ was their biggest chart success, staying at the No.1 position for 13 weeks.

1970 - David Bowie
David Bowie released his third studio album, The Man Who Sold the World in the US - the first with the nucleus of what would become the "Spiders from Mars", backing band. The album was released in the UK in April the following year.

1971 - The Who
The Who opened up The Rainbow Finsbury Park, London, England appearing on the first of three nights.

1972 - Johnny Nash
Johnny Nash started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Can See Clearly Now', his only US chart topper, it made No.5 in the UK.

1977 - Joni Mitchell
The Last Waltz, the movie of The Bands final concert premiered in New York. The Martin Scorsese movie also featured Joni Mitchell, Dr John, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton.

1978 - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Crosby Stills Nash & Young were sued by former bass player Greg Reeves for over a $1 million claiming he was owed from sales of their album 'Deja Vu'.

1979 - The Police
The Police released 'Walking on the Moon' as the second single from their second studio album, Regatta de Blanc which became the band's second No.1 hit in the UK. Sting has said that he wrote the song when he was drunk one night after a concert in Munich. The following morning, he remembered the song and wrote it down.

1980 - Bob Marley
Bob Marley was baptized at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Kingston, converting to a Christian Rastafarian and taking on the new name Berhane Selassie.

1984 - Prince
Prince played the first of seven nights at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan at the start of his 87-date North American Purple Rain tour. The outing marked the live debut of his new band The Revolution.

1987 - U2
U2 were on the front cover of UK pop magazine 'Smash Hits', which also had features on the Pet Shop Boys, Wet Wet Wet, T'Pau, Sting and Black. Reviewed in the new singles page The Smiths 'I Started Something I Couldn't Finish'.

1989 - Elton John
Elton John scored his 50th UK chart hit when 'Sacrifice', entered the charts. Only Cliff Richard and Elvis Presley had also achieved this feat. Sacrifice was initially released as a single in 1989, but stalled at No.55 in the UK and at No.18 in the US. English DJ, Steve Wright, began playing the song on BBC Radio 1 and the song was then re-released as a double A-side single, along with 'Healing Hands'.

1989 - Roxette
Roxette scored their second US No.1 single with 'Listen To Your Heart', a No.6 hit in the UK the following year.

1991 - Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Bobby "Blue" Bland, Booker T. & The M.G.s, Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, The Isley Brothers, Sam & Dave and The Yardbirds were all elected to the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

1993 - Martin Gore
Depeche Mode's Martin Gore was arrested at the Denver Westin Hotel after refusing to turn down the volume of his music in his room.

End of post 1 of 2. 
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1997 - Shania Twain
Shania Twain released her third studio album Come On Over which became the best-selling country music album, by a female act. To date, the album has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide, shipped over 20 million copies in the United States, and in the UK it has sold over 3.3 million. Out of the album's 16 tracks, 12 were released as singles.

1998 - Mark E Smith
Fall singer Mark E. Smith appeared at Manhattan Criminal Court on assault charges accused of kicking, punching and choking his girlfriend and band keyboard player Julia Nagle at a New York Hotel.

1998 - Liam Gallagher
Oasis singer Liam Gallagher was arrested after an alleged drunken brawl with photographer Mel Bouzac at a London pub. Bouzac had been tipped off that Liam was in the pub wearing a Russian hat and attempted to take photos.

2002 - Elton John
Elton John and his lyricist Bernie Taupin received the Music Industry Trusts Award for one of the greatest songwriting partnerships of all time.

2007 - Eagles
The Eagles went to No.1 on the UK album chart with Long Road Out of Eden. It was the group's first full studio album since The Long Run in 1979 and became the highest selling album of the year.

2012 - Elton John
A copyright infringement lawsuit filed by songwriter Guy Hobbs against Elton John and his songwriting partner Bernie Taupin over their hit song 'Nikita' was thrown out of court. The Judge ruled that both songs shared similar themes and phrases, but that these were prevalent in modern music.

2013 - Rihanna
Rihanna joined The Beatles and Elvis Presley as one of just three acts to top the UK singles chart seven times over seven years. The singer made the No.1 spot, as the featured artist on Eminem's new track 'The Monster'.

1938 - Harry Elson
Harry Elson, The Friends Of Distinction, (1969 US No.3 single 'Grazing In The Grass').

1940 - Delbert McClinton
Delbert McClinton, US singer, songwriter, (1980 US No.8 single 'Giving It Up For Your Love'), worked with Bruce Channel, wrote 'Two More Bottles Of Wine' country No.1 for Emmylou Harris.

1944 - Sherri Payne
American singer Sherri Payne best known as the final lead singer of The Supremes from 1973 until 1977. Payne is the younger sister of singer Freda Payne.

1947 - Mike Smith
Mike Smith from Welsh rock group Amen Corner who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'If Paradise Is Half As Nice' plus five other UK Top 40 hits.

1954 - Chris Difford
English singer, musician, songwriter Chris Difford, who was a founding member of Squeeze. Some of their best-known songs are 'Tempted', 'Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)', 'Cool for Cats' and 'Up the Junction'. Difford now works as a solo artist.

1957 - James Honeyman-Scott
James Honeyman-Scott, with English-American rock band The Pretenders, who had the 1980 UK No.1 single with ‘Brass In Pocket’. He died on 16th June 1982 of heart failure caused by cocaine intolerance.

1966 - Kool Rock
Kool Rock, (Damon Wimbley), rapper, The Fat Boys. (1988 UK No.2 single 'Wipe-out').

1969 - Diddy
Sean John Combs, (aka, Puff Daddy & P Diddy), American record producer, clothing designer and rapper. (1997 US & UK No.1 single with Faith Evans, 'I'll Be Missing You' is the most successful rap single of all time). Producer of MTV's Making the Band. Richest hip-hop entertainer as of 2007, having a net worth estimate of US $346 Million.

1971 - Gregory Porter
Born on this day American singer, songwriter and actor Gregory Porter. He won the 2014 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album, Liquid Spirit.

1974 - Louise Redknapp
Louise Redknapp, from British R&B girl group Eternal who had the 1997 UK No.1 single 'I Wanna Be The Only One', and the 1993 UK No.2 album Always & Forever. They achieved 15 UK Top 20 hits between 1993 and 1999. She had the 1996 solo UK No.5 single 'Naked'.

1977 - Kavana
Kavana, singer, (1997 UK No.8 single 'I Can Make You Feel Good').

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice, thanks for the daily music history! I love reading through these, @MOHLovesAlaska

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora  you are welcome. Have a great day, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska