cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Good Thursday morning to all. Here is this day in music history.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - The Nat King Cole Show
"The Nat King Cole Show" debuted on NBC-TV in America. The Cole program was the first of its kind hosted by an African-American.

1960 - Johnny Horton
Country & western singer Johnny Horton was killed in a car crash. He had the 1959 US No.1 & UK No.16 single 'The Battle Of New Orleans'.

1966 - Monkees
The Monkees were at the top of the Billboard singles chart with ‘Last Train To Clarksville’, the group’s first No. 1. Bobby Hart who co-wrote the song got the idea for the lyrics when he turned on the radio and heard the end of The Beatles' 'Paperback Writer'. He thought Paul McCartney was singing "Take the last train", and decided to use the line when he found out McCartney was actually singing 'Paperback Writer'.

1967 - Robin Gibb
Bee Gee Robin Gibb was a passenger on a train which crashed in South East London in England killing 49 people and injuring 78. Robin was treated for shock after the accident.

1977 - Sex Pistols
The manager of the Virgin record store in Nottingham, England was arrested for displaying a large poster advertising the new Sex Pistols album, 'Never Mind The Bollock's, Here's The Sex Pistols'. High street stores
banned the album after police warned they could be fined under the 1898 indecent advertising act.

1982 - Mick Jagger
Channel 4 TV's The Tube had its first showing. Presented by Paula Yates and Jools Holland, the show featured The Jam and an interview with Mick Jagger. The first live act on the show was local band Toy Dolls. The show ran until 1987 and was named after the plexiglass tunnel which led down into Studio Five at Tyne Tees TV, the place where all the stars from the 80’s subsequently appeared.

1983 - Billy Joel
Billy Joel was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Uptown Girl', which stayed at the top of the chars for five weeks. The song was initially written about his relationship with his then-girlfriend Elle Macpherson, but it ended up also becoming about his soon-to-be wife Christie Brinkley (both women being two of the most famous supermodels of the 1980s).

1983 - Topper Headon
Topper Headon of The Clash was arrested for walking his dog while drunk on London's Fulham Road.

1986 - Bobby Nunn
Bobby Nunn of The Coasters died of heart failure in Los Angeles. The Coasters scored the 1958 US No.1 single 'Yakety Yak', 1959 US No.2 and UK No.6 single 'Charlie Brown' as well as 'Young Blood' and 'Poison Ivy'.

1988 - Beach Boys
The Beach Boys went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Kokomo', it peaked at No.25 in the UK. The track had been featured in the film Cocktail.

1988 - Kylie Minogue
'The Locomotion', became the first song to reach the US Top 5 in three different versions, when Kylie Minogue's reached No.3 on the US chart. Written by American songwriters Gerry Goffin and Carole King, the song is notable for appearing in the American Top 5 three times – each time in a different decade: for Little Eva in 1962 and for Grand Funk Railroad in 1974.

1989 - Barry Sadler
Former US Army Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler died at a Veterans Administration hospital in Nashville from complications brought on by an un-explained gun shot wound to the head, suffered 14 months earlier in Guatemala City. Sadler is best remembered for his hit 'The Ballad of the Green Berets', which stayed on top of the chart for five weeks in 1966. He was 49 years old at time of his death.

1994 - Sheryl Crow
Sheryl Crow scored her first UK Top 10 single when 'All I Wanna Do' entered the charts at No.4. The US singer songwriter went on to become the first US female to score six UK hits off her debut album Tuesday Night Music Club.

1998 - Morrissey
Former Smiths singer Morrissey lost an appeal ruling that all band profits should have been split equally and faced a backdated payout to former Smiths member Mike Joyce estimated at £1million.

2000 - U2
U2 went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', the Irish group's 8th UK No.1 album. Creed were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'With Arms Wide Open'.

2002 - Jam Master Jay
The funeral took place of Jam Master Jay, (Jason Mizell) from Run-DMC who was murdered by an assassin's single bullet on 30th October 2002. A $30,000 reward was offered in connection with the murder, to this day nobody has ever been convicted of the killing.

2003 - Bobby Hatfield
Bobby Hatfield of The Righteous Brothers was found dead in hotel room in Michigan 30 minutes before he was due on stage, aged 63. The autopsy report from the Kalamazoo County Medical Examiner gave the opinion that Hatfield suffered a sudden, unexpected death due to acute cocaine toxicity. The Righteous Brothers had the 1965 UK & US No.1 single 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', and the 1990 UK No.1 single 'Unchained Melody' first released in 1965.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 Of 2:

2005 - Link Wray
Guitarist Link Wray died aged 76. Wray was credited with inventing 'fuzz' guitar after punching a hole in a speaker giving him a distorted guitar sound. Famous for his 1958 US No.16 single 'Rumble' which was banned on several radio stations, on the grounds that it glorified juvenile delinquency. A rare feat for a song with no lyrics.

2010 - The Rolling Stones
Keith Richards' autobiography Life was at No. 1 on the New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestseller list. The book by The Rolling Stones guitarist went on to be a million seller.

2012 - UK Singles Chart
To mark the 60th anniversary of the UK singles chart the Official Charts Company published a chart which lists all the 123 songs that have sold more than a million copies since it began in 1952. Elton John was at No.1 with Candle In The Wind, No.2 was Band Aid with Do They Know It's Christmas? followed by Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody on 2.36million copies.

2013 - Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga split from Troy Carter, who had managed her since 2007. Carter was credited with masterminding some of Gaga’s success, including her massive social media audience. She had 60 million Facebook fans and was amongst the top figures on Twitter with 40 million followers.

2014 - Jack Bruce
The funeral for Jack Bruce was held in London, attended by Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and noted musicians Phil Manzanera, Gary Brooker, Vernon Reid and Nitin Sawhney among others. Dozens assembled at the Golder's Green Crematorium paying a last tribute singing "Morning Has Broken", "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Theme for an Imaginary Western". The Scottish-born bass player and singer had died last month as a result of liver disease.

2017 - Robert Knight
American singer Robert Knight died age 72. He is best known for the 1967 US Top 20 hit 'Everlasting Love'. In the UK the song was an even bigger hit the following year when a version by Love Affair reached No.1, preventing Knight's version from progressing further than No. 40.

Born On This Day In The Music World:

1911 - Roy Rogers
Roy Rogers, singer and cowboy actor, one of the most heavily marketed and merchandised stars of his era, as well as being the namesake of the Roy Rogers Restaurants franchised chain. He and his wife Dale Evans, his golden palomino, Trigger, and his German Shepherd dog, Bullet, were featured in more than 100 movies & The Roy Rogers Show. The show ran on radio for 9 years before moving to TV from 1951 - 1957. He scored 8 US Top 40 country hits. Rogers died of congestive heart failure on July 6, 1998.

1931 - Ike Turner
Ike Turner, singer, (1966 UK No.3 single with Tina Turner, 'River Deep Mountain High', 1971 US No.4 single 'Proud Mary'). Turner died on 12th Dec 2007.

1941 - Art Garfunkel
Art Garfunkel, singer, actor. With Paul Simon as Simon and Garfunkel they scored the No.1 hits 'The Sound of Silence', 'Bridge over Troubled Water' and 'Mrs. Robinson'. The 1970 album Bridge Over Trouble Water spent 307 weeks on the UK chart. He scored the solo, 1979 UK No.1 single 'Bright Eyes'.

1943 - Pablo Gomez
Pablo Gomez, from Spanish beat group Los Bravos who had the 1966 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'Black Is Black'. They were the first Spanish rock band to have a UK & US hit single.

1946 - Loleatta Holloway
American singer, Loleatta Holloway who is best known for disco songs such as 'Hit and Run' and 'Love Sensation', both of which have been sampled extensively. She died on 21 March 2011 aged 64 from heart failure.

1946 - Gram Parsons
Gram Parsons, US singer, songwriter. Member of The International Submarine Band, The Byrd's, Flying Burrito Brothers. Released the 1973 solo album 'Grievous Angel.' Died on 19th September 1973 from a heroin overdose aged 26.

1947 - Peter Noone
Peter Noone, singer with English beat rock band, Herman's Hermits who scored the 1964 UK No.1 single 'I'm Into Something Good' (cover of Earl-Jean's) and the 1965 US No.1 single 'Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter'.

1948 - Peter Hammill
Peter Hammill, singer, guitar, keyboards, Van Der Graff Generator. (1968 album 'The Aerosol Grey Machine').

1956 - Helen O'Hara
Helen O'Hara, Dexy's Midnight Runners, (1982 UK No.1 & 1983 US No.1 single 'Come On Eileen').

1957 - David Moyse
David Moyse, guitarist for the Australian soft rock band Air Supply who scored the 1980 UK No.11 single 'All Out Of Love' and the 1981 US No.1 single 'The One That You Love'.

1957 - Mike Score
Mike Score, A Flock Of Seagulls, (1982 UK No.10 single 'Wishing, If I Had A Photograph Of You').

1959 - Ken Coomer
Ken Coomer, drummer, from American alternative rock band Wilco who released the albums Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost Is Born, Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album).

1959 - Bryan Adams
Bryan Adams, Canadian guitarist, singer, songwriter. His first UK single 'Run To You', was a 1985 UK No.11. His 1991 UK & US No.1 single '(Everything I Do)', I Do It For You', spent a record breaking 16 weeks UK No.1, plus he has scored over 15 other UK Top 40 singles and 3 UK No.1 albums. Adams has garnered many awards and nominations, including 20 Juno Awards among 56 nominations, and 15 Grammy Award nominations.

1959 - Robert Fisher
Robert Fisher, from Climie Fisher, who had the 1988 UK No.2 single 'Love Changes Everything'. He wrote songs for Rod Stewart, Milli Vanilli, Fleetwood Mac and Jermaine Jackson. Fisher died of cancer on 25th August 1999.

1965 - Paris Grey
Paris Grey, from American electronic group Inner City, who had the 1989 UK No.4 single 'Good Life' and the hit 'Big Fun'.

1968 - Mark Hunter
Mark Hunter, keyboards, from English rock band James who scored the 1991 UK No.2 single 'Sit Down' and the hits 'Laid' and 'Come Home'.

1971 - Jonathan Greenwood
Jonny Greenwood, guitar, keyboards, Radiohead. Their 1993 debut single 'Creep' was initially unsuccessful, but it became a worldwide hit several months after the release of their debut album, 'Pablo Honey'. Their 1997 album OK Computer appeared in many 1997 critics' lists and listener polls for best album of the year.

1974 - Ryan Adams
Ryan Adams, singer, songwriter, (2001 UK No.53 single 'New York, New York'). He was in a group called Whiskeytown, then went solo. His backing band is the Cardinals.

1975 - Lisa Scott- Lee
Lisa Scott-Lee, singer with British dance-pop group Steps. Between 1997 and 2001 Steps scored two No.1 singles in the UK, two No.1 albums and 14 consecutive top 5 singles in the UK.

1985 - Kate Jenna DeAraugo
Kate Jenna DeAraugo, Australian singer, winner of the third season of Australian Idol in 2005.

1987 - Kevin Jonas
Kevin Jonas, American singer and actor, Jonas Brothers, 2009 US No.1 album ‘Lines, Vines and Trying Times’.

Have a great day. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday morning to all. Here is 'This day in music history'. 

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - Jimmy Dean
Jimmy Dean started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Big Bad John', a No.2 on the UK chart. Jimmy went on to present a prime time variety show on US TV.

1964 - Beach Boys
During their first promotional visit to the UK, The Beach Boys appeared live on ITV's Ready Steady Go! playing 'I Get Around' and 'When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)'. Ready Steady Go! was one of the UK's first rock/pop music TV programs which ran from August 1963 until December 1966.

1965 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Get Off Of My Cloud', the group's second US No.1. The song knocked The Beatles 'Yesterday' from the No.1 position.

1967 - Bob Dylan
During a three hour session Bob Dylan recorded ‘All Along The Watchtower’ and ‘John Wesley Harding’ at Columbia Recording Studios in Nashville, Tennessee. The Jimi Hendrix Experience later recorded their version of ‘All Along the Watchtower' on January 21, 1968, at Olympic Studios in London after Hendrix had been given a tape of Dylan’s recording by publicist Michael Goldstein, who worked for Dylan’s manager Albert Grossman.

1967 - The Beatles
Working at Abbey Road studio in London, The Beatles mixed four songs, ‘Hello Goodbye’, ‘Your Mother Should Know’, ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ and ‘I Am the Walrus’. Due to the radio feed used in ‘I Am The Walrus’ being recorded in mono, the song changes from stereo to mono at the line "Sitting in an English garden".

1968 - Grateful Dead
The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane played at the opening night of San Francisco's Fillmore West. Formerly known as the Carousel Ballroom it was briefly operated by a collective formed by the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Big Brother and the Holding Company as a social/musical "laboratory experiment". The venue Became famous under the direction of concert promoter Bill Graham from 1968 to 1971.

1968 - Joe Cocker
Joe Cocker was at No.1 in the UK singles chart with his version of The Beatles song 'With A Little Help From My Friends'. The song was also a UK No.1 for Wet Wet Wet in 1988 and Pop Idol duo Sam and Mark in 2004.

1968 - The Monkees
The Monkees' three quarter of a million dollar feature film, Head opened in New York City. Instead of being aimed at their target audience of teeny boppers, the film contained a dark theme about the manipulation of the group with walk-on appearances by inappropriate guests and scenes of Vietnam War atrocities. Reviews were harsh and the picture was a box office disaster.

1970 - Aerosmith
Aerosmith performed their first ever gig when they played at Nipmuc Regional High School in Mendon, Massachusetts. Sometimes referred to as "The Bad Boys from Boston", Aerosmith became the best-selling American rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million albums worldwide. They also hold the record for the most gold and multi-platinum albums by an American group.

1971 - Cher
Cher started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves', the singers first US solo No.1, it made No.4 in the UK.

1972 - Billy Murcia
During a UK tour, Billy Murcia of The New York Dolls died after choking on his coffee after an overdose of Mandrax. The influential American band formed in 1972 and made just two albums, the 1973 'New York Dolls' and 1974 'Too Much Too Soon'.

1973 - Gram Parsons
Michael Martin and Phil Kaufman were charged and fined $300 each for the theft of a coffin containing Gram Parsons body. The court heard that the two men were merely carrying out Parson's wishes to be cremated in the desert.

1975 - Sex Pistols
The Sex Pistols made their live debut at St Martin’s School Of Art in central London, supporting a band called Bazooka Joe, which included Stuart Goddard (the future Adam Ant). The Pistols’ performance lasts 10 minutes.

1976 - Steve Miller
The Steve Miller Band went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Rock 'n' Me', the group's second US No.1, a No.11 in the UK.

1977 - Abba
ABBA started a four week run at No.1 on the UK single chart with 'The Name Of The Game', the group's 6th No.1. The song was first called 'A Bit Of Myself.'

1982 - Jennifer Warnes
Jennifer Warnes and Joe Cocker started a three week run at No.1 on the US with a song taken from the film 'An Officer And A Gentleman', 'Up Where We Belong'.

1982 - Soft Cell
Soft Cell's 'Tainted Love' achieved the longest unbroken run on the UK charts when it logged its 43rd week in the Top 100.

1993 - Meat Loaf
Meat Loaf was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'd' Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That). The track was also a No.1 in over 25 other countries.

1993 - Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Vs', selling 950,378 copies making it the highest sales in US album history in one week.

2000 - Madonna
Madonna played her first show in eight years when she performed a short 20 minute set at New York's Roseland Ballroom. Madonna wore a tight black vest bearing the sequined name of 18 year-old Britney Spears.

2003 - Justin Timberlake
Winners at this years MTV awards included Christina Aguilera for Best female, Coldplay won Best group, Justin Timberlake won Best album for ‘Justified’, The Panjabi MC won best dance act. Best R&B act went to Beyoncé. Eminem won the best hip-hop act award for the fifth year running. Reggae artist Sean Paul took the best new act award and best video was won by Sigur Ros. An estimated one billion people in 28 countries watched the show, which was held in Edinburgh, Scotland for the first time.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2003 - Metallica
Metallica kicked off their 137-date Madly in Anger with the World Tour at Yoyogi Taiikukanin Tokyo, Japan. The Madly in Anger with the World tour was the fourth-highest grossing tour of 2004, reaping $60,500,000 in ticket sales.

2005 - Madonna
Madonna scored her 36th Top Ten single with ‘Hung Up’, equaling the record with Elvis Presley for the most Top Ten singles. ‘Hung Up’ was also Madonna's 47th Top Forty single, the most for any female artist. The track sampled the instrumental riff from ABBA's 'Gimme, Gimme, Gimme'.

2005 - Robbie Williams
The Official UK Charts announced that Robbie Williams had sold the most albums in the UK so far this century with sales of 6.3m. Coldplay were at number two, with sales of 6.2m albums and Dido was in third place 5.7m albums sold. The figures were based on albums sold in the UK from 1st January 2000 to 11th October 2005 excluding greatest hits, live albums and downloads.

2005 - 50 Cent
Clear Channel agreed to remove posters with 50 Cent holding a gun in one hand and a microphone in the other in the Los Angeles area after a rally was held in protest, the company also agreed to remove 21 posters in Philadelphia. The posters were plugging the rapper’s forthcoming film 'Get Rich or Die Tryin.' "The message could be 'rob to get rich' said Bilal Qayyum, a leader of the anti violence group Men United for a Better Philadelphia.

2007 - Meat Loaf
Meat Loaf cancelled his European tour after being diagnosed with a cyst on his vocal cords. The 60-year-old had already scrapped two gigs on doctor's orders. Speculation had surrounded the tour after he cut short a gig in Newcastle, telling the audience it is "the last show I may ever do in my life".

2014 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift's latest album 1989 debuted at No.1 on America's Billboard albums chart selling 1.287 million copies in its first week, the largest sales week for an album since Eminem's The Eminem Show which was released 12 years ago. Swift was now the only act to earn three million-selling weeks with an album. Before 1989, Red sold 1.208 million in it's first week, while Speak Now clocked up 1.047 million sales.

2014 - Rick Rosas
American musician Rick Rosas died aged 65. He was one of the most sought after studio session musicians in Los Angeles. Throughout his career, he played with Neil Young, Joe Walsh, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ron Wood and many others. In 2014, Rosas joined Neil Young and Crazy Horse on their European tour, following Billy Talbot's inability to tour due to a stroke - making Rosas the only bassist to have played with three of Young's major band-based projects, Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Crazy Horse.

2018 - Hugh McDowell
English cellist Hugh McDowell died of cancer on aged 65. McDowell performed with the first live line-up of ELO in 1972 while only 19 years old. He also worked with Roy Wood in Wizzard.

1894 - Adolph Sax
Adolph Sax, inventor of the saxophone.

1941 - Guy Clark
Guy Clark, singer, songwriter, wrote songs for Johnny Cash, Ricky Skaggs, 1997 album 'Essential Guy Clark'. Clark died May17th 2016 in Nashville following a lengthy battle with lymphoma.

1942 - Doug Sahm
Doug Sahm, Tex Mex Singer, songwriter, guitarist, Sir Douglas Quintet, (1965 US No. 13 single ‘She’s About A Mover’). Died 18th November 1999.

1946 - George Young
Scottish-Australian musician, songwriter and record producer George Young. With The Easybeats he had the 1966 UK No.6 & 1967 US No. 16 single 'Friday On My Mind'. After the band broke up in 1969, Young and fellow member Harry Vanda embarked on a songwriting career that saw the pair produce dozens of hits. They became two of Australia's best-known songwriters, with Young's work including 'Love Is In The Air' and 'Yesterday's Hero' both hits for John Paul Young. Vanda and Young were also the producers of early work by AC/DC, formed by his younger brothers Malcolm and Angus Young. George Young died on 22 October 2017 at the age of 70, three weeks before his brother Malcolm Young (of AC/DC) died.

1947 - John Wilson
John Wilson, drummer with the Northern Irish band Them who had the 1965 UK hits 'Baby, Please Don't Go' and 'Here Comes The Night' with Van Morrison on lead vocals. Morrison quit the band in 1966 and went on to a successful career as a solo artist.

1948 - Glenn Frey
Glenn Frey, guitar, vocals, the Eagles, (1977 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Hotel California', plus 5 US No.1 albums. ‘Greatest Hits 1971-1975’ is the second biggest selling album in the world with sales over 30m). Solo (1985 UK No.12 single 'The Heat Is On'). Frey died on 18 Jan 2016 died at the age of 67 in New York City from complications arising from rheumatoid arthritis, colitis and pneumonia.

1950 - Chris Glen
Chris Glen, bassist from the Sensational Alex Harvey Band who had the 1975 UK No.7 single 'Delilah, and the 1975 album Next.

1961 - Craig Goldy
Craig Goldy, guitarist, Dio.

1963 - Paul Brindley
Paul Brindley, guitarist with English alternative rock band The Sundays. Their first album, Reading, Writing and Arithmetic, was released in 1990 and was a UK Top 5 hit along with the single 'Here's Where the Story Ends'.

1964 - Corey Glover
Corey Glover, Living Color, (1991 UK No.12 single 'Love Rears Its Ugly Head').

1966 - Paul Gilbert
Paul Gilbert, guitarist, with American hard rock supergroup Mr. Big, who had the 1992 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'To Be With You'.

1979 - Trevor Penick
Trevor Penick, from American boy band O-Town, who were the winners of US TV show 'Making The Band' They scored the 2001 US No. 3 single 'All Or Nothing'.

Have a great Friday, until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.    
MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Thanks for today's update! 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

On this day in music history, for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1951 - Frank Sinatra
Frank Sinatra married his second wife actress Ava Gardner, the couple split up in 1953 and divorced in 1957. Sinatra was married three other times, to his first wife Nancy Barbato, to the actress Mia Farrow and finally to Barbara Marx, to whom he was married at his death.

1958 - Eddie Cochran
Eddie Cochran made his UK chart debut with 'Summertime Blues'. It reached No.18 in the UK & No.8 in the US. The song has been covered by many artists, including being a No.1 hit for country music artist, Alan Jackson, and a notable hit for the English rock band, The Who.

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles went to Ireland to make their only two appearances ever in the country playing two shows at the Adelphi Cinema, Dublin. The group hooked up with screenwriter Alun Owen, who had been appointed to write the screenplay for The Beatles' first (as yet untitled) motion picture. Owen spent three days with The Beatles observing their hectic lifestyle.

1967 - Elton John
Reg Dwight (Elton John) and his song writing partner Bernie Taupin signed to DJM publishing, their signatures had to be witnessed by their parents because they were both under 21 years of age. Taupin answered an advertisement for a lyric writer placed in the New Musical Express, the pair have since collaborated on over 30 albums.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles finished recording ‘Blue Jay Way’, ‘Flying’ and ‘Magical Mystery Tour.’ The Beatles have only six songs, not enough for an album so decided to issue a double-EP. Capitol Records didn’t think the double-EP format would be acceptable for the US market, so they decide to put out an album instead. The six "Magical Mystery Tour" songs with five of the six songs from The Beatles' 1967 singles went on side two.

1969 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones kicked off their 6th North American tour at Fort Collins state University, Colorado. Also on the bill was Ike and Tina Turner, Chuck Berry and B.B. King.

1974 - Ted Nugent
Ted Nugent won a National Squirrel-shooting contest after picking off a squirrel at 150 yards. The heavy metal guitarist also shot dead 27 other mammals during the three day event.

1975 - Steve Anderson
A new world record was set for continuous guitar string plucking by Steve Anderson who played for 114 hours 17 minutes.

1975 - Elton John
Elton John started a three week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Rock Of The Westies', the singers tenth studio album and seventh US No.1 contained the US No.1 and No.14 UK single, 'Island Girl', which was released prior to the album.

1981 - Hall and Oates
Hall and Oates started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Private Eyes', the duo's third US No.1, a No.32 hit in the UK.

1987 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Tunnel Of Love.' His eighth studio album went triple platinum in the US, with 'Brilliant Disguise' being one of his biggest hit singles, peaking at No.5 on the Billboard Hot 100.

1987 - Tiffany
Tiffany became the youngest act to score a US No.1 since Michael Jackson ('Ben', in 1972) with 'I Think we're Alone Now'. The song written by Ritchie Cordell was initially a 1967 hit for Tommy James & the Shondells.

1991 - Guns N' Roses
Rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin quit Guns N’ Roses and was replaced by guitarist Gilby Clarke. Stradlin citied a combination of Axl Rose's personal behavior and the difficulties of being around Slash, Matt Sorum, and Duff McKagan, due to his new-found sobriety.

1999 - Geri Halliwell
Geri Halliwell went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Lift Me Up', beating former colleague Emma Bunton's single which entered the chart at No.2. Sales of Geri's single were helped by front-page press reports about her dating Chris Evans.

2002 - Guns N' Roses
12 Guns N' Roses fans were arrested during a riot after a gig in Vancouver was cancelled. Promoters pulled the gig after Axl Rose's flight from Los Angeles was delayed.

2002 - Bobby Brown
Whitney Houston's husband, Bobby Brown was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana, speeding, driving without a license and having no proof of insurance after he was stopped by police in Atlanta City.

End of post 1 of 2.   
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2004 - Elton John
Elton John turned the air blue live on BBC Radio 1 using the words; f****ing, w**k, and t**s. The singer was a guest on the Chris Moyles Radio 1 breakfast show in the UK.

2012 - Linkin Park
A woman died, and 19 others were injured, after scaffolding collapsed outside a Linkin Park concert in Cape Town, South Africa. The temporary scaffolding outside Green Point stadium came down in high winds just before the concert. The concert went ahead, with the band only learning of the death afterwards.

2014 - Bruce Springsteen
Two wealthy fans paid $300,000 to eat lasagna with Bruce Springsteen at his house. Springsteen started off the annual Stand Up For Heroes event by playing an acoustic set, then offering the instrument to the highest bidder. When bidding reached $60,000, he threw in a guitar lesson, which someone offered $250,000 for. At this point, he offered up a lasagna dinner at his house, a ride around the block in the sidecar of his motorbike and the shirt off of his back. All the money went to the Bob Woodruff Foundation, which helps injured servicemen and their families when they return home.

2014 - AC/DC
Australian drummer of AC/DC, Phil Rudd, had a charge of attempting to arrange a murder dropped in New Zealand, but he will still facing charges of drugs possession and making threats to kill. The U-turn by authorities, announced less than 24 hours after Mr. Rudd appeared in court, was because of a lack of evidence, his lawyer said.

2016 - Leonard Cohen
Canadian singer, songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen died at the age of 82 at his home in Los Angeles. Cohen pursued a career as a poet and novelist during the 1950s and early 1960s, and did not launch a music career until 1967, at the age of 33. His first album, Songs of Leonard Cohen (1967), was followed by three more albums of folk music: Songs from a Room (1969), Songs of Love and Hate (1971) and New Skin for the Old Ceremony (1974). "Hallelujah" is a song written by Canadian singer Leonard Cohen, originally released on his album Various Positions (1984). His song 'Hallelujah' found greater popular acclaim through a recording by John Cale, which inspired a recording by Jeff Buckley.

2017 - Pentti Glan
Finnish rock drummer Pentti Glan died of lung cancer at the age of 71. He is best known for his work with Alice Cooper and Lou Reed. He also appeared in the movie The Rose as the drummer of The Rose Band.

1963 - Clint Mansell
Clint Mansell, guitarist, from English alternative rock band, Pop Will Eat Itself who scored the 1991 UK No.15 single 'X Y & Zee' and the 1993 top ten hit, 'Get The Girl! Kill The Baddies!'

1964 - Liam O'Maonlai
Liam O'Maonlai, vocals, guitar, piano, from Irish rock group Hothouse Flowers who scored the 1988 UK No.11 single 'Don't Go'. Their first album, People, released in 1988 became the most successful debut album in Irish history. It reached the No.1 slot in Ireland within a week and eventually reached No.2 in the UK Albums Chart.

1967 - David Guetta
Born on this day David Guetta, French DJ, Produced the Black Eyed Peas song ‘I Gotta Feeling’, scored the 2009 Australian No.1 single ‘Sexy **ahem**’ featuring Akon.

1967 - Sharleen Spiteri
Sharleen Spiteri, singer, songwriter from Scottish pop rock band Texas who had the 1997 UK No.3 single 'Say What You Want', and the 1997 UK No.1 album White On Blonde which has been certified six-times platinum in the UK.

1970 - Neil Hannon
Neil Hannon, singer, Divine Comedy, (1999 UK No. 8 single 'National Express').

1971 - Robin Finck
Robin Finck, American guitarist with Nine Inch Nails and Guns N' Roses.

1978 - Mark Read
Mark Daniel Read, vocals, A1, (2000 UK No.1 single, 'Same Old Brand New You').

1988 - Tinie Tempah
English rapper, Tinie Tempah, (born Patrick Chukwuemeka Okogwu). Scored the 2010 UK No.1 'Pass Out', and 'Written in the Stars'.

1996 - Ella Yelich-O'Connor
New Zealand singer-songwriter, Ella Yelich-O'Connor, known by her stage name Lorde who had the 2013 worldwide hit 'Royals', making her the first New Zealand solo artist to have a No.1 song in the United States. Her second studio album Melodrama topped charts in New Zealand, Australia, the United States and Canada.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.   
MOHLovesAlaska

Good Sunday morning. Here is "On This Day In Music History".

Post 1 of 2:

1952 - Al Martino
The first ever UK pop chart was published by the New Musical Express after staff asked 53 record shops to divulge their sales returns. ‘Here In My Heart’ by Al Martino was the first No.1. The song stayed at No.1 for nine weeks.

1958 - South Pacific
The soundtrack to South Pacific went to No.1 on the UK album chart. It became the longest running No.1 album of all time spending a total of 115 weeks at the No.1 position.

1965 - The Beatles
The Beatles worked on a new George Harrison song ‘Think For Yourself’ at Abbey Road for their forthcoming Rubber Soul album. After rehearsing the song, they recorded the basic instrumental track in one take.

1968 - Joe Cocker
The Who, Joe Cocker and The Grease Band, The Mindbenders and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown all appeared at The Waltham stow Granada Theatre, England.

1969 - George Harrison
’Something’ the first Beatles A-side composed by George Harrison entered the UK singles chart, it peaked at No.4 in the UK and went on to be a No.1 on the US chart. The song has been covered by over 150 artists, making it the second-most covered Beatles song after 'Yesterday'.

1971 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin released their fourth album. With no title printed on the album, and generally referred to as Four Symbols, The Fourth Album or Led Zeppelin IV it has gone on to sell over 37 million copies worldwide. The 19th century rustic oil painting on the front of the album was purchased by Robert Plant from an antique shop in Reading, Berkshire, England. The 20th century urban tower block on the back of the full gatefold LP cover is Butterfield Court in Eves Hill, Dudley, England.

1975 - David Bowie
David Bowie made his US TV debut performing 'Fame', on the Cher CBS-TV show. Bowie who was living in New York at the time had written the song with John Lennon during a jamming session.

1980 - Kiss
Kiss kicked off their 11 date Unmasked Tour of Australia and New Zealand laying two nights at Perth Entertainment Centre.

1986 - Berlin
Berlin started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Take Your Breath Away'. The song which was featured in the film Top Gun, was written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song in 1986.

1998 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams scored his second UK No.1 album with 'I've Been Expecting You'. The album, which featured his UK No.1 hit 'Millennium', went on to become the UK's best selling album for that year with sales now over 2.5m.

1999 - Lester Bowie
American jazz trumpet player and composer Lester Bowie died of liver cancer aged 58. He was a member of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians and co-founded the Art Ensemble of Chicago. In 1993, he played on the David Bowie album Black Tie White Noise, including the song ‘Looking for Lester’, which was named after him.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2001 - Dido
Winners at the MTV Europe Awards included Robbie Williams who won Best male and Best song for 'Rock DJ', Craig David won Best R&B act and Best UK & Ireland act, Dido won Best new act and Anastacia won Best pop act. Gorillaz won Best song for ‘Clint Eastwood’ and Best Dance act and Eminem won the Best Hip Hop award.

2007 - Amy Winehouse
Four men were arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice after Police raided a house in Camden, London belonging to singer Amy Winehouse. The arrests were in connection of a court case involving Ms. Winehouse's husband Blake Fielder-Civil, who faced charges of causing grievous bodily harm.

2008 - AC/DC
AC/DC started a two-week run at #1 on the US album chart with 'Black Ice' the bands fifteenth studio album and the second-best selling album of 2008. Black Ice went to #1 in 29 countries, including Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US.

2009 - Morrissey
Former Smiths frontman Morrissey stopped a concert halfway through his second song after being hit by a beer bottle. The 50-year-old singer who was hit in the eye by a plastic bottle of beer, said goodnight to the 8,000 strong crowd in Liverpool, England before walking off.

2012 - Jermaine Jackson
Reports surfaced that Jermaine Jackson had filed legal papers at Los Angeles County Superior Court asking to have the spelling of his surname altered to Jackson for "artistic reasons." The request would be granted in February, 2013.

2016 - Adele
Adele more than doubled how much she's worth to be crowned the richest British celebrity under 30. She knocked One Direction off the top spot after their three-year run in first place and was now reported to have an estimated £92m in the bank. Last year the 28-year-old was in fourth place on Heat's list of the 30 richest British stars under 30.

1927 - Ken Dodd
Ken Dodd, singer, comedian, (1965 UK No.1 single 'Tears' plus 17 other UK Top hit singles).

1929 - Bert Berns
American songwriter and producer Bert Berns. He wrote many classic songs including 'Twist And Shout', 'Hang On Sloopy', ‘Here Comes the Night’, ‘I Want Candy’, ‘Under the Boardwalk’, ‘Everybody Needs Somebody to Love’ and 'Brown Eyed Girl'. Berns died of heart failure on December 30 aged 38.

1942 - Gerald Alston
Gerald Alston, vocals, The Manhattans, (1976 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Kiss And Say Goodbye').

1944 - Bonnie Bramlett
Bonnie Bramlett, Delaney and Bonnie, (1971 US No.13 single 'Never Ending Song Of Love', worked with Eric Clapton during early 70s, acting roles in 'Fame', 'Roseanne' and 'The Doors').

1944 - Rodney Slater
Rodney Slater who was a founding member of Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band playing saxophones and other musical instruments. The had the 1968 UK No.5 single ‘I'm The Urban Spaceman’.

1945 - Don Murray
American drummer Don Murray, best known for his work with The Turtles. The band had several Top 40 hits beginning with their cover version of Bob Dylan's 'It Ain't Me Babe' in 1965. They scored their biggest and best-known hit in 1967 with the song 'Happy Together'. Murray died on March 22 1996.

1946 - John Farrar
Australian-born songwriter, arranger, singer and guitarist John Farrar who has been a member of The Strangers, Marvin, Welch & Farrar, and The Shadows. He wrote the No.1 hit singles for Olivia Newton-John, 'Have You Never Been Mellow' and 'You're the One That I Want' with John Travolta.

1946 - John Martin
John Martin, The Big Figure, Dr Feelgood, (1979 UK No.9 single 'Milk And Alcohol').

1946 - Roy Wood
Roy Wood, guitar, vocals, with British rock band The Move who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry Way' and hits with 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow', 'Flowers in the Rain' and 'Fire Brigade'. And with Wizzard scored the 1973 UK No.1 single 'See My Baby Jive'. Wood sang backing vocals on 'You Got Me Floatin'' a track on the The Jimi Hendrix Experience Axis: Bold as Love album.

1947 - Minnie Riperton
Minnie Riperton, US singer, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.2 with the Stevie Wonder produced single 'Loving You'). Died of cancer 12th July 1979.

1949 - Alan Berger
Alan Berger, Southside Johnny & The Ashbury Jukes, (1978 album 'Hearts Of Stone').

1949 - Bonnie Raitt
Bonnie Raitt, Blues singer songwriter, slide guitarist, (1994 UK No.31 single 'You', 1990 US No.1 album 'Nick Of Time’).

1954 - Rickie Lee Jones
American vocalist, musician, songwriter, Rickie Lee Jones who is a two-time Grammy Award winner. Her 1979 single 'Chuck E.'s In Love' was a No.4 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.

1957 - Porl Thompson
Porl Thompson, with English rock band The Cure who had the 1989 US No.2 single 'Love Song', the 1992 UK No.6 single 'Friday I'm In Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles.

1958 - Terry Lee Miall
Terry Lee Miall, from English rock band Adam and the Ants who scored the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Stand And Deliver' and 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

1970 - Rat
Rat, guitar, Neds Atomic Dustbin, (1991 UK No.16 single 'Happy').

1977 - Tiffani Wood
Tiffani Wood, Australian singer, songwriter, from Bardot, winners of the Australian Popstars reality show, who had the 2000 Australian No.1 single ‘Poison’, and 2000 Australian No.1 self-titled album. Now solo.

1985 - Jack Osbourne
Jack Osbourne, son of Ozzy and star of MTV The Osbourne's TV Show.

Until Tomorrow, take care and stay safe.   
MOHLovesAlaska

On this Monday morning here is what happened , "This Day In Music History". 

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - The Everly Brothers
The Everly Brothers made their first studio recordings cutting four tracks in 22 minutes, at Nashville's Old Tulane Hotel studios. Family friend Chet Atkins engineered a chance for The Everly Brothers to record for Columbia Records in early 1956. However, their first and only single for the label, 'Keep A' Lovin' Me', was a flop, and they were quickly dropped from Columbia.

1958 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley's 'Hound Dog', exceeded three million copies sold in the USA, becoming only the third single to do so. Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas' & 'Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer' by Gene Autry being the other two.

1961 - Brian Epstein
Brian Epstein saw The Beatles playing live for the first time during a lunchtime session at The Cavern Liverpool. Epstein went on to be the group's manager. That night they appeared at Lither land Town Hall in Liverpool.

1966 - John Lennon
John Lennon met Yoko Ono for the first time when he visited her art exhibition 'Unfinished Paintings and Objects' at the Indica Gallery in London.

1967 - Rolling Stone Magazine
The first issue of Rolling Stone Magazine was published in San Francisco. It featured a photo of John Lennon on the cover, dressed in army fatigues while acting in his recent film, How I Won the War and the first issue had a free roach clip to hold a marijuana joint. The name of the magazine was compiled from three significant sources: the Muddy Waters song, the first rock ‘n’ roll record by Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones.

1968 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin played their first ever London show when they appeared at The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm on the same bill as John Lee Hooker, Deviants, John James and Tyres. Zeppelin singer Robert Plant married his girlfriend Maureen in London on this day and held the reception at the gig.

1969 - Simon and Garfunkel
Simon and Garfunkel record what would become their signature tune, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' with future member of Bread, Larry Knechtel on piano. Art wanted Paul to sing the song, but Paul insisted that Art's voice was better suited for it. It was a decision that Paul would later say he regretted. The song won five awards at the 13th Annual Grammy Awards in 1971, including Grammy Award for Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

1974 - Bachman Turner Overdrive
Bachman Turner Overdrive went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet'. Randy Bachman stuttered through the lyrics of the demo recording as a private joke about his brother Gary, who had a speech impediment. The record company liked that take better than the non-stammering version and released it.

1985 - Jan Hammer
Jan Hammer went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the 'Miami Vice Theme', a No.5 hit in the UK.

1990 - Willie Nelson
The internal revenue seized all of US country singers Willie Nelson's bank accounts and real estate holdings in connection with a $16million tax debt.

1991 - Prince
Prince and the New Power Generation started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Cream', a No.15 hit in the UK.

1991 - Richard Marx
Richard Marx played in five cities in 1 day during a 'Rush-n Rush Out, Street Tour'. Marx appeared in Baltimore, New York City, Cleveland, Chicago and Burbank Airport.

1993 - The Dave Matthews Band
The Dave Matthews Band released their first album, ‘Remember Two Things’ on the Bama Rags label.

1996 - Liam Gallagher
Oasis singer Liam Gallagher was arrested after being stopped by police in London's Oxford Street and charged with possession of a class A controlled substance.

1997 - Paul Weller
Paul Weller was arrested and spent the night in a French jail after smashing up his hotel room. His record company paid £4,000 to cover the damage; Weller was released the following day.

1999 - Herb Abramson
American producer, songwriter and co-founder of Atlantic records. He produced Tommy Tucker's 1964 hit 'High Heeled Sneakers.' He was the owner of A-1 Sound studios and clients included Barry Manilow, Bette Midler, The Supremes, Patti Smith, and Muddy Waters.

2002 - Madonna
It was announced that Madonna's latest movie 'Swept Away' would not be released in the UK because it had been such a box office flop in the US. The Washington Post said the film was "as awful as you've heard and as bad as you've imagined."

2002 - Whitney Houston
Viewers of the UK music channel VH1 voted 'I Will Always Love You' by Whitney Houston as the number 1 most romantic song ever. In second place Elvis Presley 'You Were Always On My Mind' and third place went to 'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2004 - Mel C
A Dutch man was jailed for nine months for harassing former Spice Girl Melanie Chisholm. The unnamed 39-year-old sent the singer parcels, letters and tapes during 2001. Dutch police searched the man's home after he tried to hand-deliver a parcel to Ms. Chisholm's London home.

2008 - Miriam Makeba
Miriam Makeba, the South African singer who reached No.12 on the Billboard chart in 1967 with 'Pata Pata', suffered a fatal heart attack at the age of 76. Among her many notable achievements was becoming the first African woman to win a Grammy, for Best Folk Recording in 1966 with Harry Belafonte for 'An Evening With Belafonte / Makeba'.

2014 - Cheryl Fernandez-Versini
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini become the first British female solo artist to have five No.1 singles in the UK after her latest song, 'I Don't Care', entered the Official Charts in pole position. The 31-year-old overtook Spice Girl Geri Halliwell and Rita Ora, who both had four chart-toppers.

2014 - One Direction
One Direction were the big winners at the 2014 MTV Europe Music Awards, held in Glasgow, Scotland, picking up three awards including best pop act. They also won best live and biggest fans. Ariana Grande picked up her first EMA's for best female and best song for 'Problem'. 5 Seconds Of Summer won the Best New Act award.

2015 - Andy White
Scottish session drummer Andy White died aged 82. He was affectionately christened "the fifth Beatle" as he was best known for replacing Ringo Starr on drums on the The Beatles' first single, ‘Love Me Do’. White was featured on the American 7" single release of the song, which also appeared on the band's debut British album, Please Please Me. He also played on ‘P.S. I Love You’, which was the B-side of ‘Love Me Do’. White also worked with Chuck Berry, Billy Fury, Herman's Hermits and Tom Jones.

2016 - David Bowie
David Bowie's retrospective show at the Victoria & Albert Museum had enjoyed so much foot traffic it was now officially the most successful touring exhibition in the cultural institution’s 164-year history. According to the V&A’s over half a million people had visited David Bowie Is in sites across the globe, including the 312,000 visitors who saw the exhibition in London back in 2013.

1937 - Roger McGough
Roger McGough, The Scaffold, (1968 UK Christmas No.1 single 'Lily The Pink').

1941 - Tom Fogerty
American musician Tom Fogerty, best known as the rhythm guitarist for Creedence Clearwater Revival who scored the 1969 US No.2 & UK No.1 single 'Bad Moon Rising', and the 1970 US & UK No.1 album Cosmo's Factory. The band has sold 26 million albums in the United States alone. Fogerty died on 6 September 1990.

1943 - Lee Graziano
Lee Graziano from American rock band American Breed who scored the 1967 US No.5 single 'Bend Me, Shape Me', (a hit on the British charts for the British group Amen Corner).

1944 - Phil May
Phil May, singer with the Pretty Things. He played on all of their charting singles, which included 'Rosalyn', (covered by David Bowie on his Pinups album) 'Don't Bring Me Down', 'Road Runner', and 'Cry to Me'. They took their name from Willie Dixon's 1955 song 'Pretty Thing'. He died on 15 May 2020 age 75 after suffering complications from emergency hip surgery.

1948 - Alan Gratzer
Alan Gratzer, from American rock band REO Speedwagon, who had the 1981 US No.1's 'Keep On Loving You' and 'Can't Fight This Feeling'. They named the band REO Speedwagon, from the REO Speed Wagon, a flatbed truck.

1948 - Joe Bouchard
Joe Bouchard, bassist from American hard rock band Blue Oyster Cult who scored the 1976 US No.12 & 1978 UK No.16 single '(Don't Fear) The Reaper'. Blue Oyster Cult have sold over 24 million records worldwide.

1954 - Dennis Stratton
Dennis Stratton, guitar, Iron Maiden, (1982 UK No.1 album The Number Of The Beast, 1991 UK No.1 single 'Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter').

1960 - Demetra Plakas
Demetra Plakas, drummer with American rock band L7 who were associated with the grunge movement of the late 1980s and early 1990s. L7 influenced many of the riot grill bands of the 1990s.

1969 - Sandra Denton
Sandra Denton (Pepa) from American hip-hop/rap trio from New York City Salt-N-Pepa who had the 1991 hit single 'Let's Talk About Sex'.

1970 - Scarface
Scarface, (Brad Terrance Jordan), American rapper, (1997 US No.1 album ‘The Untouchable’).

1977 - Sisqu
Sisqo, (a.k.a. Mark Andrews), 2000 US & UK No.3 single 'Thong Song').

1984 - Delta Goodrem
Delta Goodrem, Australian singer, actress, (Nina Tucker in TV soap opera Neighbors). 2002 Australian No.1 and 2003 UK No. 3 single ‘Born To Try’ plus six other Australian No.1 singles. 2003 UK No.2 album ‘Innocent Eyes’.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Tuesday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1955 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley attended the fourth Country Music Disc Jockey Convention in Nashville Tennessee. Back at his hotel Mae Boren Axton played him a demo of a new song she had written with Tommy Durden called 'Heartbreak Hotel'. Presley released the track as a single on January 27, 1956, his first on his new record label RCA Victor. The song gave him his his first No.1 one pop record.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles filmed three promotional films for their new single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at the Saville Theatre in London. Each of the three film clips featured different costumes and Beatle antics. In the first film they wear their Sgt. Pepper uniforms, for the second The Beatles are wearing everyday clothes, the third film clip features shots from the first two films, plus additional shots of (especially John) doing the twist. A Musician's Union ban on lip-sync broadcasts prevented the films being used on British television.

1973 - Elton John
Elton John started a eight week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', the singers third US No.1. The album which had the working titles of Vodka and Tonics and Silent Movies, Talking Pictures, is his best selling studio album with worldwide sales of over 15 million copies. Recorded at the Château d'Hérouville, the album contains the Marilyn Monroe tribute, 'Candle in the Wind', as well as three successful singles: 'Bennie and the Jets', 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting' and the title track.

1975 - David Bowie
David Bowie was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Space Oddity' the track was first released in 1969 to tie in with the Apollo 11 moon landing. Rick Wakeman (former keyboard player with Yes) provided synthesizer backing. Bowie would later revisit his Major Tom character in the songs 'Ashes to Ashes', 'Hallo Spaceboy' and 'Blackstar'.

1979 - Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac scored their second UK No.1 album with the double set 'Tusk', the 12th album by the British/American rock band.

1979 - Eagles
The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Heartache Tonight', the group's 5th and final US No.1. It made No.40 in the UK.

1984 - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
After setting a new record for advanced orders, 1,099,500 copies, Frankie Goes To Hollywood went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut LP 'Welcome To The Pleasure Dome.' Also on this day Frankie Goes To Hollywood made their debut TV appearance on Saturday Night Live performing 'Two Tribes' and 'Born To Run'.

1984 - Chaka Khan
Former Rufus singer Chaka Khan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Feel For You.' Written by Prince, the song featured Stevie Wonder on harmonica and the Rap was by Grandmaster Melle Mel. The repetition of Khan's name by rapper Melle Mel at the beginning of the song was originally a mistake made by producer Arif Mardin, who then decided to keep it.

1990 - Vanilla Ice
Vanilla Ice started a 16-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'To The Extreme.'

1997 - Tommy Tedesco
American session guitarist Tommy Tedesco died of lung cancer aged 67. Described by "Guitar Player" magazine as the most recorded guitarist in history recording with The Beach Boys, Everly Brothers, Supremes, The Monkees, The Association, Barbra Streisand, Elvis Presley, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Zappa, Sam Cooke, Cher, and Nancy and Frank Sinatra. And played on many TV themes including Bonanza, The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H and Batman.

1999 - Pete Waterman
Eighties hit making team Stock, Aitken and Waterman went to court fighting over song rights. Stock and Aitken claimed Waterman owed them hundreds of thousands of pounds as musicians and songwriters.

2002 - Johnny Griffith
American Keyboard player Johnny Griffith died of a heart attack aged 66. He had been a member of the Motown records in-house Funk Brothers studio band and played on Marvin Gaye's 'Heard It Through The Grapevine', ‘I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)’ by Four Tops, and ‘Stop! In the Name of Love’ by The Supremes.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2006 - Gerald Levert
Grammy-nominated R&B star Gerald Levert died of a heart attack aged 40. The singer who was the son of O'Jays vocalist Eddie Levert, first found fame with the R&B trio LeVert, and scored a UK top 10 single with Casanova in 1987.

2008 - Coldplay
Coldplay were declared the biggest-selling act of 2008 at the World Music Awards held in Monaco. The band picked up the prize ‘ along with the Rock Act Of The Year award ‘ after their current album 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends' topped charts around the globe. Other winners at the awards included Leona Lewis for Best Pop Female ‘ and Best New Artist, Amy Winehouse was the winner in the Female Pop/Rock award, while Alicia Keys was named best in the R&B category. Lil' Wayne bagged the Hip-Hop/Rap Artist award, while Akon was declared the Biggest Internet Artist Of The Year.

2014 - Cranberries
Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan was arrested following an alleged air rage incident on a flight from the United States. MS O'Riordan was detained after a stewardess was reportedly attacked in the business section on an Aer Lingus flight from New York to Shannon, County Clare.

2014 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones faced a battle to win a $12.7m (£7.9m) insurance claim for concerts they postponed when Mick Jagger's girlfriend died. L'Wren Scott took her own life in March, prompting the Stones to postpone a tour of Australia and New Zealand. The group had taken out a policy to be paid in the event shows were cancelled due to the death of family members or others, including Scott. But underwriters said Scott's death may not be covered by the policy.

2015 - Allen Toussaint
Allen Toussaint the American musician, songwriter/composer, record producer, and influential figure in New Orleans R&B died aged 77 while on tour in Madrid, Spain. Many artists recorded his songs Including; 'Mother-in-Law', 'Fortune Teller', 'Ride Your Pony', 'Working in the Coal Mine', 'Here Come the Girls', 'Yes We Can Can' and 'Southern Nights'. Alison Krauss and Robert Plant covered 'Fortune Teller' on their 2007 album Raising Sand.

1941 - Kyu Sakamoto
Kyu Sakamoto, (1963 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Sukiyaki', the first ever Japanese US No.1). Killed in a plane crash on 12th August 1985.

1946 - Jim Gilstrap
American singer Jim Gilstrap best known for his work as a session musician and his 1975 solo hit single 'Swing Your Daddy. Gilstrap appeared on Stevie Wonder's albums, Talking Book and Inner visions and sang the opening two lines of the Wonder song, 'You Are the Sunshine of My Life.' He also appeared on Michael Jackson's album Off The Wall and worked with Keith Moon, Joe Cocker, Willy DeVille and Starship.

1947 - Glenn Buxton
Glenn Buxton, guitarist with the Alice Cooper Band, who had the 1972 UK No.1 & US No.7 single 'School's Out', the 1972 hit 'Elected' and the 1973 US & UK No.1 album Billion Dollar Babies. He died on 19 October 1997.

1947 - Allee Willis
American songwriter Allee Willis. She co-wrote many hit songs including 'September' and 'Boogie Wonderland' by Earth, Wind & Fire and 'I’ll Be There for You' by the Rembrandts, the theme from the TV sitcom Friends. Her compositions sold over 60 million records. She was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2018. She died on 24 December 2019 age 72.

1948 - Greg Lake
English bassist, guitarist, singer, songwriter, Greg Lake, who worked with King Crimson and Emerson Lake and Palmer who had the 1977 UK No.2 single 'Fanfare For The Common Man'. He scored the 1975 solo 1975 UK No.2 hit single 'I Believe In Father Christmas'. Lake died on 7th Dec 2016 age 69 after a battle with cancer.

1949 - Peter Bramall
Peter Bramall, singer, with British pub rock band The Motors who had the 1978 UK No.4 single 'Airport'.

1954 - Mario Cipollina
Mario Cipollina, bassist from Huey Lewis and the News who had the 1985 UK No.11 & US No.1 single 'The Power Of Love'. Their third, and best-selling, album was the 1983 Sports, and they contributed to the soundtrack of the 1985 feature film Back to the Future.

1957 - Chris Joyce
Chris Joyce, drummer from Simply Red, who had the 1986 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Holding Back The Years'. They have had five No.1 albums in the UK, with their 1991 album, Stars, one of the best-selling albums in UK chart history.

1958 - Frank Maudsley
Frank Maudsley, A Flock Of Seagulls, (1982 UK No.10 & US No.26 single 'Wishing, If I Had A Photograph Of You').

1965 - David Hawes
David Hawes, bass, Catherine Wheel, (1973 UK No.35 single 'I Want To Touch You').

1966 - Steve Mackey
Steve Mackey, from English rock band Pulp, who had the 1995 UK No.2 single 'Common People'. He quit the band in January 1997. Pulp were regarded among the Britpop "big four", along with Oasis, Blur and Suede.

1967 - Andrew Vowles
Andrew Vowles, Mushroom, Massive Attack, (1991 UK No.13 single 'Unfinished Sympathy').

1968 - Steve Brookstein
Steve Brookstein, singer, winner of the first ever X Factor UK TV show in 2004. (2005 UK No.1 single Against All Odds’).

1969 - Paul Leveridge
Paul 'Kermit' Leveridge, Black Grape, (1995 UK No.8 single 'In The Name Of The Father')

1970 - Derry Brownson
Derry Brownson, keyboards from British dance music/rock band EMF who had the 1990 UK No.3 & US No.1 single 'Unbelievable'. Their debut album, Schubert Dip, went to No.3 on the UK albums chart.

1970 - Warren G
Warren G, US rapper, (1994 UK No.5 single, 'Regulate', 1996 UK No.2 single with Adina Howard, 'What's Love Got To Do With It').

1973 - Jacqui Abbott
British singer Jacqui Abbott, with The Beautiful South. Amongst their most successful hits during her stint with the group were: 'Rotterdam', 'Perfect 10', 'Don't Marry Her' and 'Dream a Little Dream of Me'.

1975 - Jim Adkins
Jim Adkins, lead singer and guitarist with Jimmy Eat World.

1978 - Drew McConnell
Drew McConnell, bass, Babyshambles, (2006 UK No.17 single ‘Janie Jones’).

1978 - Eve
Eve, US female rapper, (2001 UK No.4 single, featuring Gwen Stefani, 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind').

1979 - Chris Joannon
Chris Joannou, bassist from Australian rock band Silverchair who had the 1997 Australian No.1 single 'Freak' and the 1995 Australian No.1 album Frogstomp plus three other Australian No.1 albums. During their career, Silverchair won more ARIA Music Awards than any other artist in history with 21 wins.

1983 - Miranda Lambert
Miranda Lambert, American country music artist who gained fame as a finalist on the 2003 season of Nashville Star. Her fifth album Platinum peaked at No.1 in 2014 on the US album chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Wednesday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley appeared at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, this was Presley’s last concert of the 50’s. Presley served in the United States Army between March 1958 and March 1960 and at the time of his draft he was one of the most well-known names in the world of entertainment.

1965 - The Beatles
The final recording session for The Beatles Rubber Soul album took place, at Abbey Road, London. They needed three new songs to finish the album so an old song ‘Wait’ was pulled off the shelf and the group recorded two new songs from start to finish. Paul's ‘You Won't See Me’ and John's ‘Girl’, the basic tracks for both songs being completed in two takes. Rubber Soul was completed, and finished copies of the album were in the shops by December 3 in the UK and December 6 in the US.

1969 - Jim Morrison
The FBI in Phoenix, Arizona arrested Jim Morrison for drunk and disorderly conduct aboard a plane. The Doors singer who was on his way to a Rolling Stones concert with actor Tom Baker had been drinking and annoying the stewardesses. The pair spent the night in jail and were released on $2,500 bail.

1971 - Tom Jones
BBC TV's Top Of The Pops celebrated its 400th show. The UK chart show was presented by Tony Blackburn with guests; Tom Jones, Dana, John Kongos, Cher, Slade, Cilla Black, The Piglets, Clodagh Rodgers and The Newbeats.

1972 - Berry Oakley
The Allman Brothers Band bass player Berry Oakley was killed when his motorcycle hit a bus at the same intersection as former band member Duane Allman, who had died a year earlier. Oakley was 24 years old.

1972 - Gilbert O'Sullivan
Gilbert O'Sullivan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Clair', the singers first of two UK No.1's. The Irish singer songwriter would dress as a 1920s worker in flat cap, braces and baggy trousers.

1973 - Mott The Hoople
Thirty US radio stations broadcasted a 'live' Mott The Hoople concert. In reality it was the band recorded in the studio with the applause dubbed in.

1978 - David Bowie
David Bowie played the first night of his 8-date Low / Heroes tour of Australia and New Zealand at The Oval in Adelaide. This was Bowies first ever show in Australia.

1978 - Donna Summer
Donna Summer started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with her version of Jimmy Webb's 'MacArthur Park', also a hit for actor Richard Harris in 1968, (made No.5 in the UK). Also on this day Summer went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Live And More'.

1978 - Cars
The Cars released 'My Best Friend's Girl', the first picture-disc single commercially available, which went on to be a No.3 hit on the UK charts and top 40 in the US.

1982 - Prince
Prince kicked off his 87-date '1999' North American tour at the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

1983 - The Rolling Stones
Mick Jagger appeared on the UK TV show The Tube to defend the video to The Rolling Stones latest single 'Undercover Of The Night' which had been banned by the Independent Broadcasting Authority. The Tube aired the video, minus the scene where Mick was shot through the head. The single peaked at No.8 on the UK chart.

1986 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd issued a press statement stating that they intend to continue using the name without Roger Waters and were recording their next album.

1989 - Chris Rea
Chris Rea started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Road To Hell.' The iconic album cover features art by the English artist, Adrian Chesterman who was also responsible for creating cover art for, amongst others, Motörhead for their 1979 'Bomber' album.

1989 - Lisa Stansfield
Lisa Stansfield was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All Around The World'. The British singers debut solo single was a No.1 hit in 11 other countries and a No.3 hit in the US.

1990 - Ted Albert
Ted Albert the founder of Albert Productions died from a heart attack aged 53. His Australian based company helped launch the careers of The Easybeats, John Paul Young, The Angels, Rose Tattoo and AC/DC. In recognition of his contribution to the music industry, the Australasian Performing Right Association established the annual "Ted Albert Award for Outstanding Services to Australian Music".

1990 - AC/DC
A 21 year-old AC/DC fan died after being attacked outside the Brendan Byrne Arena in New Jersey where the band were playing a gig that night.

1998 - Paddy Clancy
Irish singer Paddy Clancy of the Clancy Brothers died aged 76, he wrote the classic Irish songs 'Wild Mountain Thyme' and 'Carrick Fergus.'

1999 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears won four MTV Awards; Best Female Singer, Best Pop Act, Best Song, '...Baby One More Time', Best Breakthrough Artist. Best Rock Act went to The Offspring, Best Male Act, Will Smith and Bono won the Free Your Mind award.

2004 - Coldplay
Coldplay fan Sarah Sainsbury wrote to the band asking for their autographs so she could sell them to raise funds at her school charity. Coldplay sent her a triple platinum disc worth over £4,000.

2004 - Liza Minnelli
Liza Minnelli's former bodyguard accused the singer of forcing him to have sex with her in order to keep his job, court documents revealed. M'hammed Soumayah was suing Minnelli for $100m damages, saying she made "many repeated attempts" to compel him into sex and he "eventually succumbed".

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2004 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams, The Rolling Stones and Queen were inducted into the UK's first music Hall of Fame at a ceremony in London. One act had been chosen by TV viewers of a Channel 4 program to represent each decade since the 1950s. Williams represented the 1990s, Michael Jackson the 1980s, Queen the 1970s, the Rolling Stones the 1960s, and Cliff Richard the 1950s.

2009 - David Gilmour
David Gilmour received an honorary doctorate from the Anglia Ruskin University, England. Gilmour had attended Cambridge shire College of Arts and Technology, now part of Anglia Ruskin University, which has campuses in Cambridge, Cambridge shire and Chelmsford, Essex.

2011 - Black Sabbath
The four original band members of Black Sabbath announced that they were reuniting and recording a new album followed by a world tour in 2012.

2014 - Big Bank Hank
Big Bank Hank (Henry Lee Jackson), from The Sugarhill Gang died aged 58 from kidney complications due to cancer. The Sugarhill Gang were the first hip hop act to have a hit with the cross-over single 'Rapper's Delight' in the pop charts in 1979.

2014 - Madonna
A collection of dresses and outfits worn by Madonna during her career in music and film helped a celebrity auction raise $3.2m (£2m). The highest lot was a jacket from Desperately Seeking Susan, which fetched $252,000, while a gown from her Material Girl video reached $73,125. Other lots which attracted the bidders were a pair of John Lennon's spectacles which sold for $25,000 (£15,751) and a ring worn by Elvis Presley for $57,600 (£36,291).

2015 - Phil Taylor
Phil Taylor better known as "Philthy Animal" Taylor and drummer with Motorhead died aged 61. He was in the classic mark IV Motörhead line-up of Lemmy, Taylor, and Fast Eddie Clarke who recorded ten studio albums and the live album No Sleep 'til Hammersmith.

2016 - David Bowie
The first day of an auction of art owned by David Bowie took £24.3m ($30.7m), more than double the pre-sale estimate. The 47 artworks sold at Sotheby's in London, England had been valued at between £8.1m ($10.2m) and £11.7m ($14.8m). The most expensive lot was Jean-Michel Basquiat's Air Power, which went for £7.1m ($9m).

1927 - Mose Allison
American jazz and blues pianist, singer, and songwriter Mose Allison. His songs have been covered by The Who John Mayall, Elvis Costello, Georgie Fame and many others. His music influenced many blues and rock artists, including Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Tom Waits, and the Yardbirds. Allison died on 15 November 2016 aged 89.

1929 - Lavern Baker
Lavern Baker, R&B singer, (1958 US No.6 single 'I Cried A Tear'). Died 10th March 1997.

1938 - Roger Lavern
Roger Lavern, keyboards, The Tornadoes, (1962 UK & US No.1 single 'Telstar'). The first major hit from a UK act on the American chart.

1940 - John Bahler
American singer, songwriter, arranger, producer, John Bahler, (the elder brother of singer, Tom Bahler). Bahler and his brother Tom were vocalists in the Ron Hicklin Singers. Together with the Wrecking Crew, they are two of the most recorded singers in history, having appeared on hundreds of television show themes, movie soundtracks and top-40 hits of the 1960s through the 1980s.

1945 - Vince Martell
Vince Martell, guitar, vocals, Vanilla Fudge, (1968 US No.6 single 'You Keep Me Hangin' On').

1946 - Chip Hawkins
Chip Hawkins, Tremeloes, (1963 UK No.1 single 'Do You Love Me', 1967 US No.11 single 'Silence Is Golden'). Father of singer & actor Chesney Hawkes.

1946 - Chris Dreja
English musician Chris Dreja, guitarist with The Yardbirds who had the 1965 UK No.3 & US No.6 single 'For Your Love'. The Yardbirds spawned such noteworthy musicians as Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.

1947 - Pat Daugherty
Pat Daugherty from American Southern rock band Black Oak Arkansas, known for their 70s US No.1 radio hit single 'Jim Dandy To The Rescue'.

1950 - Jim Peterik
Jim Peterik, guitar, keyboards, vocals, Ides Of March, (1970 US No.2 single 'Vehicle), Survivor, (1982 US & UK No.1 single 'Eye Of The Tiger').

1952 - Paul Cowsill
Paul Cowsill, Tfrom American singing group The Cowsills, who had the 1967 US No.2 single 'The Rain, The Park & Other Things', and the 1969 US No.2 single the theme from 'Hair'. TV's Partridge Family was based on The Cowsills family.

1953 - Andy Partridge
Andy Partridge, singer, songwriter, guitarist, XTC, (1982 UK No.10 single 'Senses Working Overtime').

1956 - Ian Craig Marsh
Ian Craig Marsh, keyboards with Heaven 17 who had the 1983 UK No.2 single 'Temptation'. And as a member of The Human League had the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Don't You Want Me'.

1957 - Mike Me saros
Mike Me saros, US group, The Smithereens, (1988 US No.41 album 'Smithereens 11).

1957 - Tony Gad
Tony Gad, Aswad, (1988 UK No.1 single 'Don't Turn Around').

1969 - Gary Powell
Gary Powell, drummer, from English rock band The Libertines, who had the 2004 UK No.1 album The Libertines. Played with the New York Dolls for their 2004 reunion shows, and Dirty Pretty Things.

1973 - Jason White
American musician Jason White, lead guitarist. He was a touring member of Green Day from 1999 until 2012 and played lead guitar in the majority of their live shows. During late 2012 he became an official member of the band, with Green Day becoming a four-piece group.

1974 - Static Major
Stephen Garrett (Static Major), American R&B singer, rapper, songwriter and record producer Also a member of the R&B trio Playa. Static Major gained posthumous fame for appearing in Lil Wayne's 2008 No.1 hit Lollipop. Garrett died on Feb 25th 2008 at his home in Louisville, Kentucky.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Thursday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Johnnie Ray
Johnnie Ray was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Just Walking In The Rain.' It stayed at No.1 for seven weeks making it this years Christmas No.1. Written in 1952 by Johnny Bragg and Robert Riley, two prisoners at Tennessee State Prison in Nashville, after a comment made by Bragg as the pair crossed the courtyard while it was raining.

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles appeared at the Star Club, Hamburg, Germany, sharing the bill with Little Richard.

1965 - Marc Bolan
After changing his name from Toby Tyler to Marc Bolan, the future T. Rex star performed his first single 'The Wizard' on the UK TV show Ready Steady Go!

1965 - Velvet Underground
Velvet Underground made their live debut when the played at Summit High School, New Jersey, the band were paid $75 for the gig.

1966 - Monkees
The Monkees debut album started a 13-week run at No.1 on the US album chart, selling over 3 million copies in three months.

1966 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd appeared at the Corn Exchange, Bedford, England. The set list for these early Floyd shows included: 'Let's Roll Another One', 'Gimme A Break', 'Interstellar Overdrive', 'Astronomy Domine' and 'Stoned Alone'. 'Stoned Alone' was also known as 'I Get Stoned', and was possibly the first song Syd Barrett wrote for Pink Floyd.

1968 - Jimi Hendrix
UK book and record chain W.H. Smiths refused to display The Jimi Hendrix Experience album 'Electric Ladyland' due to the naked girls featured on the sleeve. The album was then made available as two albums with changed artwork after the complaints.

1971 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin appeared at The Locarno, Sunderland, England, with tickets at 75p. The set included: 'Immigrant Song', 'Heartbreaker', 'Black Dog', 'Since I’ve Been Loving You', 'Rock And Roll', 'Stairway To Heaven', 'That’s The Way', 'Going To California', 'Tangerine', 'Dazed And Confused', 'What Is And What Should Never Be', 'Celebration Day', 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Communication Breakdown'.

1977 - Sex Pistols
The Sex Pistols went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut LP Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols. the punk group's only No.1 album. The album was met by a hail of controversy upon its release. The first problems involved the allegedly 'obscene' name of the album, resulting in the prosecution of the manager of the Nottingham Virgin record shop for having displayed it in a window. More outrage was sparked by the lyrics of the songs 'God Save the Queen' and 'Anarchy in the UK.'

1983 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan's Infidels album reached its highest position when it peaked at No.9 in the UK chart. Dylan's 22nd studio album was co-produced with Dire Straits guitarist Mark Knopfler. Dylan had also approached Elvis Costello, David Bowie and Frank Zappa as possible producers.

1988 - U2
U2 started a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with their sixth studio album 'Rattle And Hum' which went on to sell over 14 million copies.

1990 - Ron Wood
Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood broke both his legs after his car crashed on the M4 motorway near Marlborough, Wiltshire, England. Wood was trying to wave other cars past his when he was run over.

1997 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls were at No.1 on the UK album chart with their second album 'Spiceworld', it was also the name of their tie-in film. The album became a huge hit worldwide, lengthening the so-called "Spice mania" fever at that time. It produced 4 singles all of which saw commercial success and has now sold over 20 million worldwide.

1998 - Natalie Imbruglia
Winners at the MTV Europe Awards included Madonna best female artist and album for 'Ray Of Light', The Spice Girls won best group, All Saints won breakthrough artist, Robbie Williams, best male artist and Natalie Imbruglia won best song with 'Torn.'

2000 - Destiny's Child
Destiny's Child started an eleven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Independent Women Part 1.' Taken from the group's third studio album, Survivor, the song first appeared on the soundtrack to the 2000 film Charlie's Angels.

2000 - LeAnn Rimes
LeAnn Rimes sued Curb Records to void a contract signed by her parents on her behalf in 1995. In the suit the 18 year-old singer asked Curb to relinquish its rights and publishing interests in Rimes' past work, as well as future profits.

2001 - The Beatles
The three living former Beatles met for the last time at George Harrison's hotel in New York City for lunch. Harrison died two weeks later at a friend's home in Los Angeles on 29 November 2001, aged 58.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2002 - Paul McCartney
Die-hard Beatles fans were enraged after Paul McCartney altered the song writing credits on his 'Back In The US 2002' album, changing them to McCartney and Lennon from Lennon and McCartney.

2002 - Lisa Lopes
The city of Atlanta declared this day as TLC day to remember Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes who was killed in a car crash on 26th April 2002 aged 30.

2003 - Tony Thompson
American session drummer Tony Thompson died of cancer aged 48. He was most famous as the drummer with The Power Station along with Robert Palmer, and John Taylor and Andy Taylor of Duran Duran and Chic, whose single 'Le Freak' hit No.1 in the US, and No.7 in the UK. He also played on David Bowie's hit single 'Let's Dance'. Thompson also played drums with Led Zeppelin (along with Phil Collins) at Live Aid in 1985.

2004 - John Peel
The funeral of DJ John Peel took place at St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Pulp's Jarvis Cocker, Undertones singer Fergal Sharkey and The White Stripes were among mourners, while Sir Elton John left a wreath of yellow roses.

2007 - Boy George
Former Culture Club frontman, Boy George was charged with the false imprisonment of a 28-year-old man. Police said the offence was alleged to have taken place at the 47-year-old's home in Hackney, in London on 28 April of this year. The singer, DJ was bailed and was due to appear before Thames Magistrates' Court on 22 November.

2008 - Mitch Mitchell
Mitch Mitchell, the British drummer with the Jimi Hendrix Experience was found dead in his US hotel room aged 61. As a teenager, he starred in a children's television Programme, Jennings and Derbyshire, and starred in a leading role in the 1960 British film Bottoms Up with Jimmy Edwards. Mitchell had been working with Georgie Fame & the Blue Flames when in 1966 he was invited to audition for a new band being formed to back Jimi Hendrix. In December 1968, Mitchell played with the Dirty Mac, an all-star band assembled for The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (with John Lennon, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards).

2012 - The Madchester Guitar
A guitar signed by some of the biggest names in Manchester's music scene sold for £6,600 in a charity auction. The Madchester Guitar, which was sold through online auction site eBay, was covered in signatures from the likes of the Stone Roses, Oasis, Elbow and Buzzcocks.

2014 - Taylor Swift
After a high profile move by Taylor Swift to pull her entire back catalogue from the song-streaming service Spotify, their chief executive Daniel Ek's defended its business model, saying it has paid out $2bn (£1.2bn) to the music industry to date.

2016 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams broke the record for the most No.1 albums by a British solo artist. The singer's latest album, The Heavy Entertainment Show, debuted at No.1 on this week's chart. It is his 12th album to reach the summit and pushed him ahead of David Bowie who has 11 No.1 albums to his name.

1944 - Booker T
Booker T. Jones. Booker T and the MG's, (1962 US No. 3 single 'Green Onions', 1969 UK No.4 single 'Time Is Tight').

1945 - Neil Young
Neil Young, Canadian singer, songwriter and guitarist who as a member of Buffalo Springfield had the 1967 US No.17 single 'For What It's Worth'. Joined Crosby, Stills Nash & Young who had the 1970 US No.1 and UK No.5 album DejVu. As a solo artist Young scored the 1972 US No.1 and UK No.10 single Heart Of Gold, and his 1972 UK No.7 album Harvest spent 66 weeks on the UK chart. In 2008 a newly discovered trapdoor spider Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi was named after the singer. 

1947 - Donald Roeser
Donald Roeser, from American hard rock band Blue Oyster Cult who scored the 1976 US No.12 & 1978 UK No.16 single '(Don't Fear) The Reaper'. Blue Oyster Cult have sold over 24 million records worldwide.

1948 - Errol Brown
Errol Brown, singer, Hot Chocolate, who had the 1975 US No.3 single 'You Sexy Thing' the 1977 UK No.1 single 'So You Win Again' and over 25 other Top 40 hits. Hot Chocolate started their recording career making a reggae version of John Lennon's 'Give Peace a Chance', and was contacted by Apple Records, saying that Lennon liked this version, and the group was subsequently signed to Apple Records. Brown died of liver cancer at his home in the Bahamas on 6 May 2015.

1949 - Arthur Tavares
Arthur Tavares, from American R&B, funk, and soul group Tavares, who had the 1976 UK No.4 and US No.15 single 'Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel'.

1952 - Laurence Juber
Laurence Juber, British guitarist, most famous for playing lead guitar with Paul McCartney in Wings.

1953 - Calum Macdonald
Calum Macdonald, Runrig, (1995 UK No.18 single 'An Ubhal As Airde, The Highest Apple').

1955 - Les McKeown
Les McKeown, Scottish singer of the 1970s pop group, Bay City Rollers who had the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Bye Bye Baby' plus 11 other UK Top 20 singles' and the 1976 US No.1 single 'Saturday Night'.

1964 - David Ellefson
David Ellefson, Megadeth, (1990 UK No.13 single 'No More Mr. Nice Guy').

1964 - Vic Chesnutt
Vic Chesnutt, American singer-songwriter. Chesnutt who died on Dec 25th 2009 released 17 albums during his career, including two produced by Michael Stipe.

1968 - Jo Dunne
Jo Dunne, bassist from English alternative rock group We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Gonna Use It who had the 1989 UK No.11 single 'International Rescue'.

1984 - Omarion
Omarion, US R&B singer, (Omari Ishmael Grandberry), former B2K singer, 2005 US No.1 album 'O' and 2006 US No.1 album ‘21.’

MOHLovesAlaska

This day in music history for this Friday.

Post 1 of 2:

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles recorded a television interview at Westward Television Studios in Plymouth, Devon, for a local teen program "Move Over, Dad". Due to a large crowd of excited fans outside, The Beatles had to be smuggled from their dressing-room at the ABC Cinema, where they were scheduled to appear that night, into an adjacent building, then through a tunnel, to get to Westward Studios for the interview taping.

1964 - The Rolling Stones
Decca Records released The Rolling Stones' 'Little Red Rooster'. Written by Willie Dixon (as The Red Rooster), and previously recorded by Howlin’ Wolf and Sam Cooke, the single was recorded at Chess Studios in Chicago. The single was a No.1 hit in the UK and remains the only time a blues song has ever topped the UK pop chart.

1965 - Bruce Springsteen
The Castile's, which featured a young singer called Bruce Springsteen appeared at The Fire House, Hazlet, New Jersey. The night was billed as a Teenage Go, Go Dance.

1968 - Brian Jones
Rolling Stone Brian Jones bought 'Cotchford Farm' in Sussex. The author AA Milne who wrote Winnie The Pooh had owned the house.

1968 - Hugo Montenegro
Hugo Montenegro was at No.1 in the UK singles chart with 'The Good The Bad And The Ugly', the soundtrack from a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western film. The first instrumental No.1 since 1963.

1970 - Syd Barrett
Syd Barrett released his second solo album Barrett only 10 months after his debut The Madcap Laughs. David Gilmour produced the whole album, which also featured performances by Pink Floyd's Richard Wright on keyboards. The album has since been reissued in remastered form with extra tracks from the sessions.

1976 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin scored their seventh UK No.1 with the film soundtrack double album The Song Remains The Same, peaking at No.2 on the US chart. The tracks were recorded at Madison Square Garden, New York City in 1973.

1976 - Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart started an 8 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Tonight's The Night'. It was Rod's second US No.1; it made No.5 in the UK after being banned by many radio stations due to song being about the seduction of a virgin. The song features whispers from actress Britt Ekland who was Stewart's girlfriend at the time.

1976 - Sex Pistols
The Melody Maker announced UK dates for the first major punk tour with The Sex Pistols and the Ramones co-headlining along with Talking Heads, The Vibrators and Chris Spedding. The 14-date tour which was due to start at Newcastle City Hall on Nov 29th never took place.

1981 - U2
U2 kicked off a 23 date North American 'October' tour at JB Scott's in Albany, New York.

1982 - Men At Work
Men At Work started a 15-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with their debut album 'Business As Usual', which went on to sell over five million copies in the US.

1992 - Ronnie Bond
Ronnie Bond drummer with The Troggs died. Scored the 1966 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Wild Thing' and 1966 UK No.1 ‘With A Girl Like You.’

1999 - Spice Girls
A report showed that The Spice Girls were the highest earners in pop during the 90s with their debut album 'Spice' selling over 20 million copies. Elton John was second with 14 million sales from 'The Lion King'.

2000 - The Beatles
The Beatles launched their first official website www.thebeatles.com. The site went live on the same day as the release of their retrospective 'Compilation 1' album.

2004 - Russell Jones
Rap artist Ol' Dirty **ahem**, (real name Russell Jones), collapsed and died at a Manhattan recording studio in New York aged 35. A spokesman for his record company, said the rapper, had complained of chest pains, was dead by the time paramedics reached him. ODB was a founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan in the early 1990s.

2005 - Simon Cowell
Simon Cowell was named Show Business personality of the year by the Variety Club at the show business charity's annual awards show in London. Katie Melua won recording artist of the year at the event, hosted by singer Myleene Klass.

2012 - The Beatles
The original collage that was reproduced and included in copies of The Beatles' 1967 classic Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band record sold for $87,720. The piece, which was designed by Peter Blake, was sold to an unnamed bidder as part of an auction of modern British art at Sotheby’s in London.

2015 - Adele
Adele's comeback single 'Hello' achieved platinum sales status in the UK, just three weeks after it was released after the chart-topping song sold more than 600,000 copies.

2016 - Leon Russell
Leon Russell died in Nashville, he was 74. He led Joe Cocker’s band Mad Dogs & Englishmen, and appeared at George Harrison’s 1971 Concert for Bangladesh. Many of his songs became hits for others, among them 'Superstar' (written with Bonnie Bramlett) for the Carpenters, 'Delta Lady' for Joe Cocker and 'This Masquerade' for George Benson. More than 100 acts have recorded 'A Song for You,' which Russell said he wrote in 10 minutes.

2019 - Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart was featured on the cover of Britain’s Railway Modeller magazine. The singer had put the finishing touches to a 25-year project building a railway city, which was modelled on both New York and Chicago around 1945. The model railway which spans 1,500 square feet was housed in the attic of his Los Angeles home.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

1949 - Terry Reid
Terry Reid, UK singer, member of Peter Jay's Jaywalkers. Reid turned down the job as lead singer with Led Zeppelin.

1951 - Bill Gibson
Bill Gibson from Huey Lewis and the News who had the 1985 UK No.11 & US No.1 single 'The Power Of Love'. Their third, and best-selling, album was the 1983 Sports, and they contributed to the soundtrack of the 1985 feature film Back to the Future.

1953 - Andrew Ranken
Andrew Ranken, drummer from Irish-British Celtic punk band The Pogues who scored the 1987 UK No.8 single 'The Irish Rover'.

1960 - Wayne Parker
Wayne Parker, Glass Tiger, (1986 UK No.29 single 'Don't Forget Me, When I'm Gone').

1979 - Nikolai Fraiture
Nikolai Fraiture, bassist from American rock band The Strokes who had the 2001 UK No.14 single 'Last Nite' and the 2001 UK No.2 album Is This It.

1980 - Monique Adrienne Coleman
Monique Adrienne Coleman, American actress and singer from High School Musical, as part of the cast had the 2006 US No.1 ‘High School Musical’ album and 2007, US No.1 ‘High School Musical 2’ album. Over 17 million viewers in the United States watched the TV premier of High School Musical; making it the highest rated basic cable broadcast in U.S. history.

1993 - Julia Michaels
American singer and songwriter Julia Michaels. Her debut solo single in 2017, 'Issues', peaked at No.11 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States. As a songwriter, Michaels has written songs for artists including Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Fifth Harmony, Shawn Mendes, Britney Spears, Justin Bieber and Gwen Stefani. She has earned two Billboard Hot 100 No.1 songs with Bieber's 'Sorry' and Gomez's 'Lose You to Love Me'.

End of post 2 of 2. 
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Saturday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1960 - Ray Charles
Ray Charles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Georgia On My Mind', a No.24 hit in the UK. His cover of Hoagy Carmichael's 1930 standard, became the first of three No.1 hits for the singer.

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles played the final show of a 14 night run at the Star-Club, Hamburg, West Germany.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd were added to a 16-date UK tour with Jimi Hendrix, The Move, The Nice, Amen Corner, The Outer Limits and The Eire Apparent. It kicked off at the Royal Albert Hall, London. The headlining Hendrix was allotted exactly 40 minutes; The Move, who preceded him onstage, had just half an hour, and Pink Floyd, who appeared between after The Outer Limits, were allowed between 15 and 20 minutes per show.

1969 - Archies
'Sugar Sugar' by The Archies was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The single became the longest running One Hit Wonder in the UK with eight week's at the top of the charts. It was the first No.1 performed by cartoon characters.

1975 - Queen
Queen played the first of two nights at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool, England, the first nights on their 78-date A Night At The Opera World Tour.

1981 - The Police
The Police had their fourth UK No.1 single with 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic', a No.3 hit in the US.

1987 - George Michael
George Michael went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut solo album 'Faith'. The album won several awards including the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1989. To date, the album has sold over 20 million copies worldwide. Between 1987 and 1988, Faith produced six Top 5 Billboard Hot 100 hits,
four of which ('Faith', 'Father Figure', 'One More Try', and 'Monkey') reached No.1, making him the only British male singer to have four No.1 singles from one LP on the Billboard Hot 100.

1987 - T'Pau
T'Pau started a five week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'China In Your Hand'. The song's title according to singer Carol Decker is the effect you get if you hold a china cup to a light, you can see your hand through it.

1991 - New Kids On The Block
Over 1,000 New Kids On The Block fans were given medical treatment after a minor riot during a concert in Berlin, Germany.

1992 - Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Keep The Faith' their fifth studio album and second UK No.1. The album produced six UK Top 20 hit singles, 'Keep The Faith', 'Bed Of Roses', 'In These Arms', 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead', 'I Believe' and 'Dry County'.

1996 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson married Debbie Rowe in Sydney Australia. The couple had met when he was diagnosed with vitiligo in the mid-1980s, and she was working as his dermatologist's assistant. The couple divorced on October 8, 1999, with Rowe giving full custody rights of the children to Jackson with Rowe receiving an $8-million settlement.

1999 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'She's The One / It's Only Us', his second UK No.1. 'She's The One' was written by World Party leader Karl Wallinger. Williams scored six other chart toppers as a member of Take That.

2004 - U2
U2 went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Vertigo', the bands fifth UK No.1, taken from 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'.

2004 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones were refused permission to pursue a claim against their former record company Decca for unpaid royalties through the courts. A High Court judge in London said the dispute would go to arbitration and not be decided in court. The dispute was over their Forty Licks compilation CD, which was released in 2002 and was the first collection to span their entire career.

2006 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin were inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame by Roger Taylor of Queen. Jimmy Page personally accepted the award in front of a 3,000 strong audience during the 3rd annual induction ceremony which was held at the famed Alexandra Palace in London.

2013 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney posted a letter on his website calling on Russian President Vladimir Putin to release 30 Greenpeace activists whom Russian authorities arrested during a protest over Arctic oil drilling in September. All the activists involved had their charges dropped in late December of this year.

2015 - Elvis Presley
A pair of white boots worn by Elvis Presley during his famous '68 Comeback TV Special performance were bought by a UK collector for £29,500, ($44,500). Elvis had worn the size-11 Verde boots while singing 'If I Can Dream', two months after the assassination of Martin Luther King, the lyrics included quotes from the civil rights leader.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska