cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

There has been a color request by @Listener001  for neon green.  I will use this color just for highlighting the names. I think doing this post in this color may be hard to read for some. I also apologize for such a late post, but it could not be helped. This Day In History Of Music for this Monday.

1956 - Carl Perkins While driving to New York for appearances on 'The Perry Como Show', and 'The Ed Sullivan Show', the car that Carl Perkins was traveling in was involved in an accident putting Perkins in hospital for several months. The singer received four broken ribs and a broken shoulder, his brother Jay was killed in the accident. 1965 - The Temptations Released their second studio album Sing Smokey. As its name implies, it is composed entirely of songs written and produced by Smokey Robinson and several other members of the Miracles as well. More importantly, it featured one of the well-known Motown releases in its history 'My Girl'. 1965 - Bob Dylan Released his fifth studio album Bringing It All Back Home. The album was the first of Dylan's albums to break into the US top 10, and it also topped the UK charts later that Spring. The lead-off track, Subterranean Homesick Blues became Dylan's first single to chart in the US, peaking at No.39. The album's iconic cover, photographed by Daniel Kramer, features Sally Grossman, wife of Dylan's manager Albert Grossman, lounging in the background. The artifacts scattered around the room include vinyl LPs by The Impressions and Robert Johnson. 1968 - Tammy Wynette Recorded her version of the Bobby Braddock and Curly Putman song 'D-I-V-O-R-C-E' which went on to top the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart in June of this year. 'D-I-V-O-R-C-E' is a woman's perspective on the impending collapse of her marriage. The lyrics begin with an old parenting trick of spelling out words mothers and fathers hope their young children will not understand. 1974 - The Eagles Released their third studio album On the Border the first Eagles album to feature guitarist Don Felder. Three singles were released from the album: 'Already Gone, 'James Dean' and 'Best of My Love'. A hidden message carved into the run-out groove of some vinyl LPs reads: "He who hesitates is lunch". 1975 - Led Zeppelin Was enjoying a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Physical Graffiti the group's fourth US No.1 album. On its first day of release in the US, the album shipped a million copies – no other album in the history of Atlantic records had generated so many sales. Physical Graffiti has now been certified 16 times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for US sales of over 16 million copies. 1975 - Bay City Rollers The tartan teen sensations Bay City Rollers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Bye Bye Baby, the group's first of two UK No.1's. 1978 - The Police  Signed to A&M Records. The band scored over 15 UK Top 40 hits with the label including the worldwide No.1 'Every Breath You Take.' 1980 - Pink Floyd '                                                                                                                                  Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)' started a four-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart. The track, which was the group’s only US chart-topper, was also a No.1 in the UK, Germany, Australia, Italy, and in many other countries around the world. Pink Floyd received a Grammy nomination for Best Performance by a Rock Duo or Group for the song, but lost to Bob Seger's 'Against The Wind.' 1980 - The Jam  Had their first UK No.1 with their tenth release, 'Going Underground / Dreams Of Children' the first single of the 80s to debut at No.1. 1984 - Queen                                                                                                                                  Filmed the video for ‘I Want To Break Free’ at Limehouse Studio in London, England. Directed by David Mallet, it was a parody of the northern British soap opera Coronation Street with the band members dressed in drag. Guitarist Brian May later said the video ruined the band in America, and was initially banned MTV in the US. 1986 - Mark Dinning American singer Mark Dinning died from a heart attack aged 52. He scored the 1959 US No.1 hit 'Teen Angel'. The song which is about a girl and her boyfriend whose car stalled on a railroad track in the path of an oncoming train was initially banned by many radio stations that considered it too sad. 1992 - Tears For Fears Polygram Records officially announced that Tears For Fears had split up, Roland Orzabal continued using the name Tears For Fears. During their career, they scored 15 UK Top 40 singles and two US No.1's. Re-formed in 2004. 1994 - Dan Hartman American musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer Dan Hartman died aged 43 of a brain tumor in Westport, Connecticut. He was a member of the Edgar Winter Group and wrote the band's hit ‘Free Ride.’ As a solo artist, he had the 1978 No.1 dance hit ‘Instant Replay,’ and wrote ‘Relight My Fire’ a UK No.1 for Take That and Lulu, and also co-wrote The James Brown song 'Living in America.’ Hartman collaborated with Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Tyler, Paul Young, Living In A Box, Holly Johnson, and Steve Winwood. 1996 - Billy Williamson American steel guitar player Billy Williamson died aged 71. He was a member of Bill Haley and His Saddlemen, and its successor groupBill Haley & His Comets, from 1949 to 1963. Williamson had the distinction of being the only Comet allowed to record lead vocal tracks during Haley's tenure at Decca Records (such as the song ‘Hide and Seek’ on their 1956 album, Rock and Roll Stage Show and ‘B.B. Betty’ on the 1958 Bill Haley Chicks album. 1997 - Puff Daddy Featuring Mase started a six-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Can't Nobody Hold Me Down', his first US No.1, a No.19 hit in the UK. 2001 - Earl T. Beal American singer Earl T. Beal with The Silhouettes died. The doo wop/R&B group's single 'Get A Job' was a No.1 hit on the Billboard R&B singles chart and pop singles chart in 1958. The doo-wop revival group Sha Na Na derived its name from the song's lyrics. 'Get A Job' is included in the soundtracks of the film American Graffiti, Trading Places, and Stand By Me. The Silhouettes performed in the 1986 movie Joey. 2004 - Elvis Presley A new book claimed that Elvis Presley's ancestors came from a small village called Lonmay in the North East of Scotland. Author Allan Morrison said he'd found evidence that Elvis's great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was married in the village 300 years ago. 2005 - Rod Price A former member of Black Cat Bones and a founding member of Foghat died after falling down a stairway at his home after suffering a heart attack. The 57-year-old English guitarist played on Foghat's highest charting US single 'Slow Ride' a hit in 1976. 2009 - Lady Gaga Started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Poker Face', her second UK chart-topper and a No.1 hit in over 20 countries. 2016 - Phife Dawg American rapper Phife Dawg died in Contra Costa County, California, due to complications relating to diabetes at the age of 45. He was a member of the group A Tribe Called Quest and was also known as the 'Five Foot Assassin' and 'The Five Footer' because he stood at 5 feet 3 inches (1.60 m). 2016 - Dave Grohl Leaped to the defense of a teenage heavy metal band from Cornwall, England, after their local council said they were too loud. The Black Leaves of Envy were told they would have to stop practicing in a family garage after noise complaints from neighbors. Foo Fighters frontman Grohl penned an open letter to the authority after the band contacted him asking Cornwall Council to 'reconsider the restrictions'. 2019 - Brian Harvey East 17 star Brian Harvey was taken to hospital and arrested after ‘threatening self-harm’ in a Livestream video. Police were called to the star's East London home over concerns for his welfare and officers reportedly threatened to taser him in a tense stand-off. In a string of videos, the singer spoke about his financial struggles, living on benefits, and the government. 2020 - Julie Felix American-born, British-based folk recording artist Julie Felix died at age 81. She had two UK Singles Chart hits in 1970, the first of several on the RAK label, produced by Mickie Most. The first was with the song entitled "If I Could (El Cóndor Pasa)", while the second, "Heaven is Here", was written by Errol Brown and Tony Wilson of Hot Chocolate.

Born On This Day In The Music World.

1936 - Roger Whittaker Kenyan/British singer-songwriter and musician, Roger Whittaker had the 1969 UK No.12 single 'Durham Town', and the 1975 UK No.2 & US No.19 single 'The Last Farewell'. He is best known for his baritone singing voice and trademark whistling ability. 1943 - George Benson American musician, guitarist, and singer-songwriter George Benson. His album Breezin' was certified triple-platinum, hitting No. 1 on the Billboard album chart in 1976, and has since released over 30 albums. 1943 - Keith Relf English musician Keith Relf, The Yardbirds who had the 1965 UK No.3 & US No.6 single 'For Your Love'. He also sang an early version of 'Dazed and Confused' in live Yardbirds concerts, a song later recorded by the band's successor group Led Zeppelin Relf died aged 33 on May 14th, 1976 when he was electrocuted in the basement of his home while playing his improperly earthed (electrically grounded) guitar. 1947 - Harry Vanda Australian musician, songwriter, and record producer Harry Vanda, The Easybeats who had the 1966 UK No.6 & US No.16 single 'Friday On My Mind'. After the band broke up in 1969, Vanda and fellow member George Young embarked on a songwriting career that saw the pair produce dozens of hits. They became two of Australia's best-known songwriters, with Young's work including 'Love Is In The Air' and 'Yesterday's Hero' both hits for John Paul Young. 1947 - Patrick Olive, Hot Chocolate, who had the 1975 US No.3 single 'You Sexy Thing' the 1977 UK No.1 single 'So You Win Again', and over 25 other Top 40 hits. 1948 - Andrew Lloyd Webber English composer and impresario of musical theatre Andrew Lloyd Webber. He has composed 13 musicals and several of his songs have been widely recorded and were hits; 'All I Ask of You from The Phantom of the Opera, 'I Don't Know How to Love Him from Jesus Christ Superstar, 'Don't Cry for Me, Argentina' from Evita, and 'Any Dream Will Do' from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Lloyd Webber was knighted in the 1992 Birthday Honours. 1948 - Randy Hobbs, bass guitarist, Johnny Winter group, McCoys, (1965 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Hang On Sloopy'). Hobbs died on August 5th, 1993 from a drug overdose, aged 45. 1957 - Stephanie Mills American Grammy award–winning singer, songwriter and Broadway stage actress Stephanie Mills, who had the 1980 UK No.4 & US No.6 single, 'Never Knew Love Like This Before.  1958 - Pete Wylie English singer/songwriter and guitarist Pete Wylie who with Wah! had the 1982 UK No.3 single 'Story Of The Blues'. He began his career in 1977 with lead vocalist Ian McCulloch (Echo & the Bunnymen) and bassist Julian Cope, (Teardrop Explodes) with whom he formed the band Crucial Three. 1968 - Mickey Dale, keyboards, from English alternative rock band Embrace, who had the 2006 UK No. 2 single ‘Natures Law’, the 2006 UK No.1 album This New Day, and two other UK No.1 albums. 1970 - Andreas Johnson A Swedish musician and songwriter who had the international 1999 hit single 'Glorious', which has been used in several advertisements from companies including Volvo, Nutella, and Vauxhall. 1973 - Beverley Knight MBE, an English singer, radio presenter, and musical theatre actress who released her debut album, The B-Funk, in 1995. Knight is widely labeled as one of Britain's greatest soul singers, and is best known for her hit singles ‘Greatest Day’, ‘Get Up!’, and ‘Shoulda Woulda Coulda’. 1979 - Aaron North An American guitarist who was the co-founder and guitarist of punk band The Icarus Line who joined Nine Inch Nails in 2005. He formed Jubilee in late 2007 and co-founded Buddyhead with Travis Keller in 1998. 1980 - Shannon Bex Singer, with American girl group Danity Kane, (formed on the MTV reality show Making the Band 3). They became the first female group in Billboard history to debut their first two albums at the top of the charts. 1981 - Shawn Mims American hip-hop recording artist Shawn Mims had the 2007 US No.1 single 'This Is Why I'm Hot. 1986 - Amy Studt English singer, songwriter Amy Studt, UK singer who had the 2003 UK No.4 single 'Misfit'.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be earlier than today. Until then take care and stay safe. 

P.S. I do apologize for the outline. The old outline was much neater and easier to follow. But unfortunately, this will only allow me to post in this form. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Well, with it just being after midnight I will post for 3/23-& 3/24. This Day In History Of Music for 3/23.

On this day 23 Mar 1956, Elvis Presley released his self-titled studio album in mono on RCA Victor. The album spent ten weeks at No.1 on the Billboard Pop Albums chart in 1956, the first rock and roll album ever to make it to the top of the charts, and the first million-selling album of that genre. The iconic cover photograph was taken at the Fort Homer Hesterly Armory in Tampa, Florida, on July 31, 1955. 23 Mar 1961 Elvis Presley had his seventh UK No.1 single with 'Wooden Heart.' The song was based on a German folk song and was featured in Presley's film GI Blues. 23 Mar 1964 John Lennon's book of verse and rhyme 'In His Own Write' was published in the UK. Some of the content was first published in Lennon's 'Beachcomber' column in the Liverpool weekly paper Mersey Beat. 23 Mar 1967 At a ceremony held at the Playhouse Theatre in London, The Beatles were awarded three Ivor Novello awards for 1966: Best-selling British single ‘Yellow Submarine’, the most-performed song ‘Michelle’, and next-most-performed song 'Yesterday'. None of the Beatles attended and the winning songs were played by Joe Loss and his Orchestra. The lead vocal for ‘Michelle’ was sung by Ross MacManus, whose son would go on to become the professional musician Elvis Costello. 23 Mar 1972 The film The Concert For Bangladesh featuring George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and Eric Clapton premiered in New York. The event was the first benefit concert of this magnitude in world history. The concert raised $243,418.51 for Bangladesh relief, which was administered by UNICEF. Sales of the album and DVD continue to benefit the George Harrison Fund for UNICEF. 23 Mar 1974 Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross entered the UK singles chart with ‘You Are Everything’ which was originally recorded by the Philadelphia soul group The Stylistics. Released as the second UK single from the Diana & Marvin album, the song reached No.5 in the UK Singles Chart this year. 23 Mar 1977 Elvis Presley appeared at the Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona. This was the first date of 49 dates US tour over three months and Presley's last ever tour. (His last ever show was on 26th June 1977 at the Indianapolis Indiana Market Square Arena). 23 Mar 1985 Former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman John Fogerty went to No.1 on the US album chart with his third solo studio album Centerfield. This was Fogerty's first album in nine years after he decided to take a long break from the music business because of legal battles with his record company. 23 Mar 1985 Billy Joel married model Christie Brinkley on a boat moored alongside the Statue Of Liberty. They divorced in 1993. 23 Mar 1991 R.E.M. scored their first UK No.1 album with their seventh LP Out Of Time featuring the singles 'Losing My Religion (which became R.E.M.'s highest-charting hit in the US, reaching No.4), and 'Shiny Happy People.' The video for 'Losing My Religion' won two Grammy Awards and six MTV Awards. 23 Mar 1995 British singer Alan Barton died aged 41 from injuries incurred when Smokie's tour bus crashed during a hailstorm in Cologne, Germany. With Black Lace he had the 1984 UK No.2 single 'Agadoo.' Black Lace represented the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest 1979 in which they finished in the seventh position. ‘Agadoo’ earned them the dubious accolade of being voted as the worst song of all time by a panel of music writers for Q Magazine. Barton replaced Chris Norman in Smokie in 1986, recording six albums with them. 23 Mar 1996 Celine Dion went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Because You Loved Me, her second US No.1, a No.5 hit in the UK. The Diane Warren song was taken from the film Up Close And Personal starring Robert Redford and Michelle Pfeiffer. And on the same day her album 'Falling Into You' went to No.1 on the UK album chart. 23 Mar 2005 '(Is This The Way To) Amarillo' by Tony Christie featuring Peter Kay was the No.1 UK single, 'Candy Shop' by 50 Cent was at No.1 on the US chart, and 'Almost Here' by Delta Goodrem and Brian McFadden was at No.1 on the Australian singles chart. 23 Mar 2008 Neil Aspinall, who ran the Apple Corps music empire for the Beatles from 1970 - 2007 died at a hospital in New York from cancer aged 66. A school friend of Sir Paul McCartney and George Harrison, he was regarded by some of the band as the 'fifth Beatle' becoming The Beatles road manager in 1961 before becoming their personal assistant. He led the legal battle with Apple computers over the use of the Apple name and a royalties dispute between the Beatles and record label EMI. Aspinall had also played background instruments on Beatles tracks including 'Magical Mystery Tour', 'Within You Without You', and 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite.' 23 Mar 2011 The Who's Pete Townshend told Uncut magazine that he regretted ever forming the band. 'What would I have done differently? I would never have joined a band. Even though I am quite a good gang member and a good trooper on the road, I am bad at creative collaboration.' 23 Mar 2014 Canadian musician Dave Brockie died. He is best known as the lead vocalist of the heavy metal band Gwar. Brockie was found dead, his body sitting upright in a chair in his home, by a band member. The cause of death was determined to be a heroin overdose. 23 Mar 2015 British artist Lil' Chris was found dead in Suffolk at the age of 24. Chris Hardman first rose to fame on the UK reality show Rock School in 2006 when he was just 15 years old. He later released a hit single, 'Checkin' It Out,' which reached No.3 on the UK singles chart. 23 Mar 2016 Gloria Gaynor's hit 'I Will Survive' was selected to enter the US National Recording Registry. It joined Metallica's Master of Puppets and Mahler's Symphony No 9 on the list of culturally significant recordings.

23 Mar 1942 Jimmy Miller, New York-born record producer, and musician. He is best known for his lengthy association with The Rolling Stones, for whom he produced a string of singles and albums during the band's career: Beggars Banquet (1968), Let It Bleed (1969), Sticky Fingers (1971), Exile On Main Street (1972) and Goats Head Soup (1973). Miller died on 22 October 1994. 23 Mar 1944 English blues guitarist, and founder of The Groundhogs Tony McPhee. They had three UK Top 10 hits in the UK Albums Chart in the early 1970s. 23 Mar 1944 American singer, songwriter, musician, producer Ric Ocasek from The Cars. Their early hits included 'Just What I Needed', 'My Best Friend's Girl and 'Good Times Roll'. Their 1984 US No.3 & 1985 UK No.4 'Drive' was used as part of the soundtrack for the Live Aid concert. Ocasek was found dead in his New York City apartment on 15 September 2019, he was 75. 23 Mar 1944 English composer Michael Nyman best known for numerous film scores, including 1993 The Piano film soundtrack. Nyman who has released over 20 albums has also worked with Damon Albarn from Blur. 23 Mar 1948 Nashville folk singer David Olney. He formed the band The X-Rays, which released two albums and opened for Elvis Costello, before splitting up in 1985. Numerous artists, including Emmylou Harris, Del McCoury, Linda Ronstadt, and Steve Earle, have covered his songs. He died on 18 Jan 2020 age 71 after suffering a heart attack during a performance in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. 23 Mar 1952 Dave Bartram from English revival group Showaddywaddy who had the 1976 UK No.1 single with their version of 'Under The Moon Of Love'. Showaddywaddy spent 209 weeks on the UK Singles Chart and had 10 Top Ten singles. 23 Mar 1953 American singer Chaka Khan, (Yvette Marie Stevens), who was the lead vocalist and focal point of the 1970s funk band Rufus. Khan was the first R&B artist to have a crossover hit featuring a rapper, with 'I Feel for You' in 1984. She has collaborated with Ry Cooder, Robert Palmer, Ray Charles, Quincy Jones, Guru, and Mary J. Blige, among others. 23 Mar 1966 Mark McLoughlin, (Marti Pellow), singer with Scottish band Wet Wet Wet who formed in 1982. They are best known for their 1994 cover of The Troggs' the 1960s hit 'Love Is All Around', which spent 15 weeks at No.1 on the UK charts. 23 Mar 1967 John Strohm, from American alternative rock band The Lemonheads. A cover of Simon And Garfunkel's 'Mrs. Robinson became one of the band's most successful single in the early 90s. 23 Mar 1968 Damon Albarn, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and record producer. With Blur he scored the 1994 UK No.1 album Parklife, which spent over 2 years on the UK chart, and the 1995 UK No. 1 'Country House'. Albarn along with Jamie Hewlett formed the 'virtual band' Gorillaz who had the 2001 UK No.4 single, 'Clint Eastwood.' Other projects include The Good, The Bad & The Queen, (2007 self-titled album with Paul Simonon, Tony Allen, and Simon Tong). Albarn's debut solo studio album Everyday Robots was released in 2014. 23 Mar 1971 American session drummer Abe Laboriel, Jr. Has worked with Paul McCartney for many years as well as many other artists including Shakira, B.B. King, Sting, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Les Paul, Ashlee Simpson, and LeAnn Rimes. 23 Mar 1979 American Grammy-winning record producer Ariel Rechtshaid, who has worked with many artists including Adele, Brandon Flowers, Vampire Weekend, Madonna, Tobias Jesso Jr., Usher, We Are Scientists, Plain White T's, and Kylie Minogue.

Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music. 

1958 - Elvis Presley At 6.35 am, reported to the Memphis draft board. From there Elvis and twelve other recruits were taken by bus to Kennedy Veterans Memorial Hospital where the singer was assigned army serial number 53310761. 1965 - The Beatles continued filming Help! at Twickenham Studios, England. They shot the interior temple scenes, including the one where they dive through a hollow sacrificial altar and into water. That scene was then cut to the swimming pool scene filmed in the Bahamas on February 23. 1965 - The Temptations released 'It's Growing', the follow-up to 'My Girl'. The track was the first to feature David Ruffin as the Temptations' new lead singer. Interestingly both 'My Girl' and 'It's Growing' were the only Motown tunes ever covered by Otis Redding. 1966 - Simon and Garfunkel made their UK singles chart debut with 'Homeward Bound.' Paul Simon is said to have written the song at Farnworth railway station, Widnes, England, while stranded overnight waiting for a train. A plaque is displayed in the station to commemorate this, although memorabilia hunters have stolen it many times. The song describes his longing to return home, both to his then-girlfriend, Kathy Chitty in Brentwood, Essex, England, and to return to the United States. The song was also a No.5 hit in the US. 1973 - Lou Reed During a Lou Reed show in Buffalo, New York, a fan jumped on stage and bit Lou on the bottom. The man was thrown out of the theatre and Reed completed the show. 1973 - O'Jays went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Love Train.' The song's lyrics of unity mention a number of countries, including England, Russia, China, Egypt, and Israel, as well as the continent of Africa. 1976 - Wayne County Transvestite singer Wayne County appeared in court charged with assault after an incident at New York club CBGB's. County had attacked Dictators singer Handsome **ahem** Manitoba with a mike stand fracturing his collarbone. 1977 - Fleetwood Mac released 'Dreams' from their eleventh studio album Rumours which became their first and only US No.1 hit single. Stevie Nicks wrote the song in early 1976 at the Record Plant studio in Sausalito, California in around 10 minutes, on a day when she wasn't required in the main studio. 1979 - Bee Gees started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Tragedy', the group's eighth US No.1. and also No.1 in the UK. 1985 - Philip Bailey 'Easy Lover' by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. Bailey was a former vocalist with Earth, Wind & Fire. Phil Collins produced, drummed, and sang on the track. 'Easy Lover' won an MTV Video Music Award for Best Overall Performance in a Video. 1986 - Van Halen released their seventh studio album 5150 (pronounced fifty-one-fifty) which became their first album to top the US chart. The first of four albums to be recorded with lead singer Sammy Hagar, who replaced David Lee Roth was named after Eddie Van Halen's home studio, 5150, in turn, named after a California law enforcement term for a mentally disturbed person. 1990 - Sinead O'Connor went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got', featuring the single 'Nothing Compares To You. Also No.1 in 13 other countries and six weeks at No.1 in the US. 1992 - Milli Vanilli A Chicago court settled the Milli Vanilli class-action suit by approving cash rebates of up to $3 (£1.76) to anyone proving they bought the group’s music before November 27, 1990, the date the lip-synching scandal broke. Milli Vanilli won the 1989 best new artist Grammy after hits like 'Blame it on the Rain' and 'Girl, You Know It's True,' selling 30 million singles and 14 million albums. But in late 1990, the performers were stripped of the award after it was revealed that neither actually sang on the Milli Vanilli album. 1997 - Harold Melvin singer with Philly soul group Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes died aged 57. They dad the 1972 US No.3 & 1974 UK No.9 single 'If You Don't Know Me By Know' and 1973 hit ‘The Love I Lost.’ 1998 - Mark Morrison UK singer was jailed for a year after trying to con his way out of doing community service. He sent his minder Gabriel Mafereka who wore sunglasses and hid his hair under a hat so he looked like the star. 2000 - Yoko Ono A film company paid £635,000, ($1,079,500) for over nine hours of film shot during the 70s by Yoko Ono's first husband Tonny Cox. The film contained shots of John Lennon smoking hash and talking about his political beliefs. 2001 - The Allman Brothers Band A stretch of road on Highway 19 in Macon, Georgia, was named Duane Allman Boulevard, near where The Allman Brothers Band guitarist died aged 24 in a motorcycle crash on October 29, 1971. 2002 - Gareth Gates became the youngest male solo artist to score a UK No.1 with his debut release 'Unchained Melody' Gates was 17 years and 255 days old and had won second place on TV's Pop Idol show. This was the fourth time that the song had been at No.1 in the UK. 2009 - Phil Spector The prosecutor in the Phil Spector murder retrial told the jury he was a 'demonic maniac' when he drinks and 'a very dangerous man' around women. Deputy District Attorney Truc Do urged jurors to find the music producer guilty of murdering Hollywood actress Lana Clarkson in 2003. During her closing argument, she also accused Mr. Spector of demonstrating a 'conscious disregard for human life. 2009 - Uriel Jones Motown drummer, died aged 74 after suffering complications from a heart attack. Jones played on many Motown classics including 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye, ‘Cloud Nine’ by the Temptations, ‘I Second That Emotion by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, and ‘For Once In My Life by Stevie Wonder. 2013 - Deke Richards American songwriter and record producer Deke Richards died of esophageal cancer aged 68. He is notable for being a member of both The Clean and The Corporation, the latter being a hitmaking production team that wrote and produced The Jackson 5's early hits, including 'I Want You Back, 'ABC', and 'The Love You Save. He produced Diana Ross and the Supremes after Holland, Dozier and Holland left Motown in 1968 and co-wrote the US No.1 hit 'Love Child' for the Supremes, and was solely responsible for 'I'm Still Waiting, a UK No.1 hit, for Diana Ross. 2016 - Adele returned to No.1 on the UK album chart for the third time with her third studio album 25. Globally, 25 was the biggest-selling music release in 2015 and 2016. To promote the album, Adele embarked on her third worldwide concert tour, Adele Live 2016 which started on 29 February 2016 and ended on 30 June 2017. 2020 - Bill Rieflin American musician died at age 59. Rieflin came to prominence in the 1990s mainly for his work as a drummer with groups (particularly in the industrial rock and industrial metal scenes) such as Ministry, the Revolting **ahem**, Swans, Chris Connelly, and Nine Inch Nails. He worked regularly with R.E.M. following the retirement of Bill Berry in 1997. He was a member of King Crimson from 2013 until his death.

Born On This Day In The Music World.  1935 - Carol Kaye one of the most prolific and widely heard bass guitarists, who has played on an estimated 10,000 recordings in a career spanning over 50 years. Kaye was the bassist on many Phil Spector and Brian Wilson productions in the 1960s and 1970s. She is credited with the bass tracks on several Simon And Garfunkel hits and many film scores by Quincy Jones and Lalo Schifrin. She contributed to The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Kaye also performed on many American TV themes including The Streets of San Francisco, Mission: Impossible, M*A*S*H, and Kojak. 1937 - Billy Stewart American rhythm and blues singer and pianist Billy Stewart had the 1966 US No.10 single with his version of the George Gershwin song 'Summertime'. Stewart and three of his band were killed on 17 January 1970 when the Ford Thunderbird that Stewart was driving crashed off a bridge and plunged into the Neuse River near Smithfield, North Carolina. 1938 - Don Covay, American R&B, rock and roll, and soul singer and songwriter. His most successful recordings included 'Mercy, Mercy' (1964), and 'See-Saw' (1965). He wrote 'Chain of Fools', a Grammy-winning song for Aretha Franklin. Covay died on Jan 30th, 2015. 1938 - Holger Czukay German musician, Holger Czukay, best known as a co-founder of the krautrock group Can. Czukay is notable for creating early important examples of ambient music, for exploring 'world music' well before the term was coined, and for being a pioneer of sampling. 1946 - Lee Oskar Danish harmonica player Lee Oskar from American funk band War. Their album The World Is a Ghetto was the best-selling US album of 1973. They also scored the 1973 US No.2 single 'Cisco Kid'. In 1983 Oskar formed a company Lee Oskar Harmonicas to manufacture high-quality harmonicas. 1949 - Steve Lang Canadian musician Steve Lang best known for his role as a bassist in the rock band April Wine from 1976 to 1984. Their 1976 album The Whole World's Goin' Crazy reached No.1 in Canada and was the first in Canadian history to have platinum advanced sales orders. He died on 4 February 2017 aged 67. 1949 - Nick Lowe English singer-songwriter, musician, and producer Nick Lowe was a member of the pub rock group Brinsley Schwarz and Rockpile and is now a solo artist. Lowe had the 1978 UK No.7 single 'I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass' and 1979 UK No.12 single 'Cruel To Be Kind'. 1951 - Dougie Thompson, was the bassist with progressive rock band Supertramp. Thomson played with Supertramp on all of their most famous albums: Crime of the Century, Crisis? What Crisis? Even in the Quietest Moments, Breakfast in America. 1960 - Nena German singer-songwriter, actress, and comedian Nena, who became a UK One Hit Wonder with the 1984 UK No.1 '99 Red Balloons'. 1964 - Patterson Hood lead singer with the alternative country-Southern rock band Drive-By Truckers who had the 2014 US top 20 albums with English Oceans. 1970 - Sharon Corr, vocals, violin, with the Irish band The Corrs, who had the 1998 UK No.3 single 'What Can I Do'. Talk On Corners was the best-selling UK album of 1998 spending 142 weeks on the UK chart. The Corrs have sold 40 million albums worldwide. 1970 - Pasemaster Mace Bassmaster Mace, from American hip hop trio De La Soul who had the 1990 UK No.7 single 'The Magic Number'. 1974 - Chad Butler drummer with Switchfoot. Their 2014 album Fading West reached No.6 on the US album chart.

Enjoy your read. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Thursday. 

1958 - Buddy Holly: appeared at The Gaumont Theatre in London, the final date on his only UK tour. Also on the bill was Gary Miller, The Tanner Sisters, Des O'Connor, The Montanas, Ronnie Keene & His Orchestra.

1958 - Elvis Presley: Having been sworn in as Private 53310761 the previous day Elvis Presley received the regulation short back and sides haircut from army barber James Peterson. Presley would earn $78 per month as an army private.

1963 - Johnny Cash: recorded the June Carter/Merle Kilgore song 'Ring Of Fire.' The song was originally recorded by June's sister Anita Carter, on her 1963 album Folk Songs Old and New as '(Love's) Ring of Fire'. Cash claimed he had a dream where he heard the song accompanied by 'Mexican trumpets'. It became the biggest hit of Johnny Cash's career, staying at No.1 on the US charts for seven weeks.

1964 - The Beatles: made their debut on UK TV show Top Of The Pops performing 'Can't Buy Me Love' and ‘You Can’t Do That.’ The show had been recorded on March 19th.

1965 - Dusty Springfield: Bobby Vee, Dusty Springfield, The Searchers, Heinz, and The Zombies all appeared at The Odeon Cinema, Stockton, Cleveland.

1966 - The Beatles: At a photo session at Bob Whitaker's studio in London, The Beatles posed in white coats using sides of meat with mutilated and butchered dolls for the cover of their next American album, Yesterday and Today. After advance copies were sent to disc jockeys and record reviewers, negative reaction to the cover photo was so strong Capitol recalled 750,000 copies from distributors to replace the cover. The total cost to Capitol to replace the cover and promotional materials was $250,000, wiping out their initial profit.

1967 - The Rolling Stones: The Rolling Stones kicked off a three-week European tour in Orebro, Sweden. Arriving in Copenhagen for the tour the group was delayed after customs officers search all their luggage for drugs.

1967 - Turtles: The Turtles started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Happy Together. The song was written by Garry Bonner and Alan Gordon, former members of a band known as The Magicians. The song had been rejected a dozen times before it was offered to the Turtles, and the demo acetate was worn out.

1967 - The Who: and Cream made their U.S. concert debut at RKO 58th Street Theatre, New York City as part of a rock & roll extravaganza promoted by DJ Murray the K.

1967 - Pink Floyd: played three gigs in 24 hours. They appeared at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor, England, then the New Yorker Discotheque in Swindon, and then played at the Shoreline Club in Bognor Regis (in the early hours 26 March).

1969 - John Lennon: and Yoko Ono started their week-long 'bed-in, in the presidential suite at The Amsterdam Hilton hotel. The couple invited the world's press into their hotel room every day, to talk about promoting world peace.

1972 - America: started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with their debut hit 'Horse With No Name', it made No.3 in the UK. The group scored eight other US top 40 hits during the 70s.

1978 - Bill Kenny: lead singer of The Ink Spots died. Had the UK No.10 single 'Melody Of Love.' 'The Gypsy' was their biggest chart success, staying at the No.1 position on the US chart for 13 weeks.

1983 - Motown Records: celebrated its 25 anniversary with a concert in Pasadena, featuring; The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Martha Reeves, Jr. Walker, The Commodores, Marvin Gaye, Smoky Robinson, and The Jackson 5. 

1986 - Guns N' Roses: signed a worldwide deal with Geffen Records. The band has now sold more than 100 million albums worldwide, their 1987 debut album, Appetite For Destruction has sold in excess of 28 million copies worldwide.

1989 - Madonna: was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Like A Prayer', the singers sixth UK No.1, also No.1 in the US. The song was accompanied by a highly controversial music video, which in 2005 was voted the "Most Groundbreaking Music Video of All Time" by viewers of MTV.

1990 - Tommy Lee: Motley Crue's Tommy Lee was arrested for mooning at the audience during a gig in Augusta. Lee was charged with indecent exposure.

1995 - Eddie Vedder: Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder was rescued after a riptide carried him 250 feet offshore in New Zealand.

1999 - Ray Price: 73-year-old Country music singer Ray Price was arrested in his Texas home for possession of marijuana. He was fined $200 after pleading no contest to the charges. According to Price in a 2008 interview, old friend Willie Nelson - no stranger to marijuana arrests - phoned and told him he'd just earned $5 million in free publicity with the drug bust.

2000 - Derek Longmuir: Former Bay City Rollers drummer Derek Longmuir was given 300 hours of community service after being caught with a hoard of child pornography including 150 videos and 73 floppy disks.

2000 - NSYNC: set a new world record after selling a million tickets in one day for the group's forthcoming tour, netting them over £25 million ($42.5 million).

2001 - Britney Spears: The first Britney SpearsPepsi TV commercial was aired on US television. Spears had signed a multi-million dollar deal with Pepsi for her forthcoming world tour.

2002 - Richey Edwards: The seven-year mystery of missing Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey Edwards took a grisly twist when human feet were found near where he vanished in 1995.

2005 - Ozzy Osbourne: and his wife Sharon Osbourne was forced to flee their Buckinghamshire mansion after a blaze broke out as they slept. Ozzy and his wife were roused by a fire alarm and ran to safety in the garden, rescuing their pets as they escaped.

2006 - Buck Owens: American singer and guitarist died. He pioneered the Bakersfield sound, a reference to Bakersfield, California. He scored twenty No.1 hits on the Billboard country music charts.

2008 - Richie Sambora: was arrested in California on suspicion of drink driving. The 48-year-old
Bon Jovi guitarist was arrested after a police officer noticed his black Hummer weaving in traffic lanes in Laguna Beach. He was ordered to appear in court on one count of driving under the influence.

2009 - Dan Seals: from England Dan & John Ford Coley died. They scored the 1976 US No. 2 & UK No. 26 single, 'I'd Really Love To See You Tonight.' Seals who died aged 61 was the younger brother of Seals & Crofts member Jim Seals. After the duo disbanded, Seals began a solo career in country music. Throughout the 1980s and into the early 1990s, he released 16 studio albums and charted more than 20 singles on the country charts. Eleven of his singles reached No.1.

2010 - Justin Bieber: The manager of pop star Justin Bieber was arrested after police claimed he failed to warn fans on Twitter about overcrowding at a shopping center event. Police said they asked Scott Braun to tell fans through Twitter that Bieber would not be appearing because of fears over safety after hundreds turned up - resulting in five people being taken to hospital with minor injuries. Police said Mr. Braun refused to send the message until 90 minutes later. He pleaded not guilty to charges including reckless endangerment related to November's event in Roosevelt Field Mall in a New York suburb.

2015 - Sam Smith: was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Lay Me Down'. The lead single from his debut studio album In the Lonely Hour originally peaked at No.46 on the UK Singles Chart. This version featuring John Legend was recorded for the British charity telethon Comic Relief.

2019-Scott Walker:singer with The Walker Brothers died at age 76. The US star found fame as a teen idol in The Walker Brothers, scoring hits with 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore' and 'Make It Easy On Yourself. He lived in the UK from 1965 and became a British citizen in 1970. Walker began a solo career with 1967's Scott, moving toward an increasingly challenging baroque pop style on late '60s albums such as Scott 3 (1969) and Scott 4 (1969). As a record producer or guest performer, he worked with a number of artists including Pulp, Ute Lemper, and Bat for Lashes.

Born On This Day In The Music World:

1931 - Tom Wilson: American record producer Tom Wilson. He worked with various US acts including Bob Dylan (The Times They Are a-Changin', Another Side of Bob Dylan, and Bringing It All Back Home), Frank Zappa (Freak Out!), Simon and Garfunkle (Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.), and The Velvet Underground, (White Light/White Heat).

1934 - Johnny Burnette: American singer-songwriter of rockabilly and pop music Johnny Burnette who had the 1961 UK No.3 & US No.8 single 'Your Sixteen'. He was killed on 14 August 1964 aged 30 when his unlit fishing boat was struck by an unaware cabin cruiser on Clear Lake, California. The impact threw him off the boat, and he drowned.

1938 - Hoyt Axton: US singer, songwriter, and actor who wrote songs for Elvis Presley, Three Dog Night, ('Joy to the World'), John Denver, Ringo Starr, and Glenn Campbell He had his own hits with ‘When The Morning Comes’ and ‘Flash Of Fire’. Acting roles included Bionic Woman and McCloud. Axton died of a heart attack on October 26th, 1999, aged 61.

1942 - Aretha Franklin: American singer and songwriter Aretha Franklin, The Queen of Soul, who had the 1967 US No.1 & UK No.10 single 'Respect', the 1968 UK No.4 single 'I Say A Little Prayer' and the 1987 UK No.1 single with George Michael, 'I Knew You Were Waiting. She scored over 15 other Top 40 hits and won 18 Grammys during her career. Franklin died on August 16, 2018, in Detroit at the age of 76 after being diagnosed with cancer in 2010.

1947 - Jack Hall: from the Charlie Daniels Band, who had the 1979 US No.3 & UK No.14 single 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia'.

1947 - Elton John: Sir Elton John singer, songwriter, pianist, (Reginald Dwight), who had the 1971 UK No.7 single 'Your Song', the 1973 US No.1 single 'Crocodile Rock' along with seven other US No.1's. He had the biggest selling single of all time in 1997 with 'Candle In The Wind 97', plus has scored over 50 UK Top 40 hit singles. John has sold over 150m records worldwide. Elton and Bernie Taupin wrote the No.1 (with Kiki Dee) 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' under the pseudonyms Ann Orson and Carte Blanche. Some of the aliases Sir Elton has used checking into hotels include, Prince Fooboo, Sir Humphrey Handbag, Lillian Lollipop, Lord Choc Ice, Lord Elpus, Binky Poodleclip, and Sir Henry Poodle. Elton John's official nickname is Rocket Man.

1947 - Duncan Browne: English singer-songwriter Duncan Browne, who had the 1972 UK No.23 single 'Journey'. Browne died of cancer on 28 May 1993 aged 46.

1949 - Neil Jones: from Welsh rock group Amen Corner who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'If Paradise Is Half As Nice' plus five other UK Top 40 hits.

1949 - Bob Ezrin: Jewish Canadian music producer and keyboardist Bob Ezrin best known for his work with Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, Jane's Addiction, Dr. John, Nils Lofgren, and Phish.

1951 - Maisie Williams: from German vocal group Boney M, who had the 1978 UK No.1 & US No.30 single 'Rivers Of Babylon' and with more than 150 million records sold, they are one of the best-selling artists of all time.

1960 - Steve Norman: guitar, sax, with Spandau Ballet who became one of the most successful groups to emerge during the New Romantic era and have produced a number of international hits during the 80s including 'True', 'Gold' and 'Through the Barricades.'

1966 - Frank Ferrer: American rock drummer Frank Ferrer best known as the drummer for Guns N' Roses with whom he has played, toured, and recorded since 2006. Ferrer was also a member of The Psychedelic Furs, Love Spit Love as well as The Beautiful.

1966 - Jeff Healey: Canadian guitarist, singer, Jeff Healey. He lost his sight to retinoblastoma, a rare cancer of the eyes when he was eight months old, resulting in his eyes being surgically removed. Healey died of cancer on March 2nd, 2008.

1969 - Cathy Dennis: singer, songwriter, (1991 US No.2 & UK No.5 single 'Touch Me All Night Long'). Co-wrote 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' for Kylie Minogue, and has also written songs recorded by S Club 7, Kelly Clarkson, Brian Kennedy, Celine Dion, Ronan Keating, Janet Jackson, and Britney Spears. 

1971 - Michael McKeegan: bassist with the alternative metal band from Northern Ireland Therapy? Who held the 1993 UK No.9 single 'Screamager'.

1974 - Finley Quaye: British musician Finley Quaye. He won the 1997 Mobo Award for best reggae act, and the 1998 BRIT Award for Best Male Solo Artist.

1975 - Juvenile: American rapper and actor Juvenile, (Terry Gray) who had the 2004 US No.1 single feat Soulja Slim 'Slow Motion', and the 2006 US No.1 album ‘Reality Check’.

1975 - Melanie Blatt: singer from British girl group All Saints, who had the 1998 UK No.1 and US No.4 single 'Never Ever. The group's debut album, All Saints (1997), went on to become the third best-selling girl group album of all time in the UK.

1988 - Big Sean: American rapper Big Sean. His third studio album, Dark Sky Paradise, was released in 2015 and earned him his first No.1 album in the US. In 2017 his fourth studio album, I Decided, debuted at No.1 on the US Billboard 200 chart.

1988 - Ryan Lewis: American music producer, musician, and DJ Ryan Lewis. The Macklemore's and Lewis single 'Thrift Shop' reached No.1 on the US singles chart in 2013 and their second single, 'Can't Hold Us' also peaked at No.1, making Macklemore and Lewis the first duo in the chart's history to have their first two singles both reach the top of the US charts.

1999 - Iann Dior: Rapper, singer, and songwriter Iann Dior. In 2020, he featured on 24kGoldn's single ‘Mood’, which peaked at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Until sometime tomorrow (hopefully), take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Listener001
Not applicable

@MOHLovesAlaska 

I agree with the old out line it was better.

but thank you for the neon green 

I actually know pink floyd they were introduced to be from a book i read called revolution by jennifer donnelly(there's a lot of great songs listed in her book and she made a website where all her songs are listed  and on my other pandora account i have a playlist of those songs i'll try to link it here sometime today it'll take me awhile to get it the playlist i may make a new one )and that is how i found my favorite song by

Shine on you crazy diamond by pink floyd

yeah i can't make that any smaller because it's such a great song  😄

Dave Grohl is the best  you now he let his daughter sing chorus on his bands  album Medicine at Midnight  and she got a paycheck !!?! the kid might as well just join the band supposingly the check  it was huge .  i listened to his album release party on the radio on alt 98.7 with booker.

This Day In History Of Music for this Friday. For those of you who read this thread, I made a reading playlist. I love listening to music while reading. I'm more into reading while music is playing. For those who would be interested here is my reading playlist. I hope you find it enjoyable, I know I do.  https://pandora.app.link/DVaHlZmTWeb  

1964 - The Beatles: The British invasion continued to make its way around the world The Beatles having the top six positions on the Australian pop chart.

1965-Bill Wyman: Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, and Bill Wyman all received electric shocks from a faulty microphone on stage during a Rolling Stones show in Denmark. Bill Wyman was knocked unconscious for several minutes.  

1969-Marvin Gaye: was at No.1 on the UK singles chart, with 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine. The song was first recorded by The Miracles and had also been a million-seller in 1967 for Gladys Knight and the Pips.  

1970 - Peter Yarrow: of Peter Paul and Mary pleaded guilty to 'taking immoral liberties' with a 14-year-old girl in Washington D.C. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three months in jail. Just days earlier, the trio had won a Grammy Award for Best Recording for Children for their album, 'Peter, Paul, and Mommy'.  

1976 - Duster Bennett: British blues singer and musician Duster Bennett was killed in a car crash. After performing with Memphis Slim Bennett was driving home in a Ford Transit van in Warwickshire, England when he apparently fell asleep at the wheel. The van collided with a truck. His first album Smiling Like I'm Happy saw him playing as a one-man band, playing the bass drum with his foot and blowing a harmonica on a rack while playing a 1952 Les Paul Goldtop guitar given to him in 1968 by Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac.   

1977 - Hall and Oates: started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Rich Girl', the duo's first US No.1. Hall and Oates have sold an estimated 40 million records, making them the third-bestselling music duo of all time.  

1980 - The Police: became the first Western pop group to play in Bombay, India for over ten years when they played a one-off gig in the city.  

1983 - Duran Duran: went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Is There Something I Should Know'. Their first No.1 and their eighth single release. The group was on a US promotional trip on this day, where they were greeted by 5,000 screaming fans at an in-store appearance in New York City.  

1985 - Stevie Wonder: Radio stations in South Africa banned all of Stevie Wonder's records after he dedicated the Oscar he had won the night before at The Academy Awards to Nelson Mandela.  

1995 - Eazy- E: Rapper producer, and record executive Eazy-E (Eric Lynn Wright) died of AIDS in Los Angeles aged 31. Formed Ruthless Records, worked with Dr. Dre and Ice Cube.  

1996 - Shania Twain: The Woman in Me the second studio album by Shania Twain was at No.1 on the Country chart. It went onto become her biggest-selling recording at the time of its release, selling 4 million copies by the end of the year. 'Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?', a song about a woman confronting her lover about his frequent infidelity, was released as the first single from the album.  

2000 - Santana: started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Supernatural.' The album went on to win eight Grammy Awards including Album Of The Year, Record Of The Year (for 'Smooth'), and Song Of The Year.  

2001 - Eminem: The toy figure of Eminem was facing a ban from UK shops. Woolworths and Hamleys were refusing to stock the dolls. Psychologists warned parents who buy the dolls for children will be inadvertently giving their approval to bad language.  

2002 - Ozzy Osbourne: Randy Castillo drummer with the Ozzy Osbourne band died of cancer aged 51. Worked with Osbourne during the 1980s and early 1990s. Also worked with Lita Ford and Motley Crue.  

2004 - Jan Berry: of Jan and Dean, died at the age of 62, after being in poor health sustained in a 1966 car crash. Had the 1963 US No.1 & UK No.26 single 'Surf City', (co-written by Beach Boy Brian Wilson). At the height of their fame, Jan and Dean hosted and performed at The T.A.M.I. The show, film also featured The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, James Brown, The Supremes, and Smokey Robinson, & The Miracles.  

2005 - Paul Hester: Australian drummer Paul Hester died aged 46 after he attempted suicide and died from strangulation after being found hanged in a park in Melbourne. He had been a member of Crowded House, Split Enz, and Largest Living Things. After leaving Crowded House in 1994 Hester appeared on many TV and radio shows in Australia.  

2006 - Jimmy Page: Readers of Total Guitar magazine voted the guitar solo by Jimmy Page, in Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway To Heaven' as the greatest guitar solo of all time. The 1971 track was voted ahead of tracks by Van Halen, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, and The Eagles. On the 20th anniversary of the original release of the song, it was announced via US radio sources that the song had logged up an estimated 2,874,000 radio plays - back to back, that would run for 44 years solid.  

2006 - Nikki Sudden: English singer-songwriter and guitarist Nikki Sudden from a heart attack at the age of 49 after performing at the Knitting Factory in New York City. He co-founded the post-punk band Swell Maps with his brother, Epic Soundtrack. Sudden collaborated with, among others, the Waterboys, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, Mick Taylor, Tom Ashton of the March Violets, and members of R.E.M. and Sonic Youth.  

2008 - Sean Combs: The Los Angeles Times apologized for claiming rap mogul Sean 'Diddy' Combs was involved in a 1994 shooting of hip-hop star Tupac Shakur. The LA Times, which published the original story on its website, initially said its claims were based on FBI records, witness accounts, and other unnamed sources. The apology followed a claim that the newspaper was conned by a prisoner who doctored the documents used.  

2016 - Billy Joel: iconic hit, 'Piano Man', was selected by the US Library of Congress for preservation in the National Recording Registry for its 'cultural, historic, or artistic significance.' Even though the record only made it to No.25 on the Hot 100 in 1974, it had become Joel's signature song and was ranked at No.421 in the 2004 list of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.  

2019 - Paul McCartney: A school book Sir Paul McCartney used as a teenager sold for £46,800 – nearly 10 times its estimate. The exercise book which features a doodle of a man smoking and a teacher’s critical comments sold at an auction of Beatles memorabilia in Merseyside. McCartney had used the book at Liverpool Institute High School for Boys, where he was taught English literature by Alan “Dusty” Durband.  

2019 - Ranking Roger: British musician Ranking Roger died age 56. In January 2019 it was announced that Roger had undergone surgery for two brain tumors, and was undergoing treatment for lung cancer. He was a vocalist in the 1980s two-tone band the Beat (known in North America as the English Beat) and later General Public.  

2020 - Neil Landon: English singer Neil Landon died at age 78. He was a singer and songwriter with the band Fat Mattress, which he co-founded with guitarist/singer Noel Redding. He later joined The Flower Pot Men, who scored a hit in 1967 with 'Let's Go To San Francisco' which reached No.4 in the UK Singles Chart.  

1917 - Rufus Thomas: American rhythm-and-blues, funk, soul, and blues singer Rufus Thomas who had the 1963 US No.10 single with ‘Walking The Dog’ and a 1970 UK No.18 & US No.28 single with ‘Do The Funky Chicken’. Thomas died on December 15th, 2001 of heart failure at the age of 84.

1944 - Diana Ross: American singer, The Supremes (1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Baby Love' plus over 20 other US & UK Top 40 hits). Solo (1980 US No.1 single 'Upside Down, 1986 UK No.1 single 'Chain Reaction). During the 1960s The Supremes became Motown's most successful act and are to this day the United States' most successful vocal group. As part of the Supremes, her success made it possible for future African-American R&B and soul acts to find mainstream success.

1948 - Richard Tandy: English musician Richard Tandy, keyboardist, with Electric Light Orchestra, who had the 1979 UK No.3 & US No.4 single 'Don't Bring Me Down' plus 26 other Top 40 hits. He played the harpsichord on The Move's No.1 hit 'Blackberry Way'.

1948 - Steven Tyler: multi-instrumentalist, best known as the frontman and lead singer of Aerosmith known as the 'Demon of Screamin'. Aerosmith scored the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Love In An Elevator, their 1989 album Pump spent 53 weeks on the US charts, and the 1993 US No.1 & UK No.2 album Get A Grip, as well as the 1998 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. In 2011, Tyler made his debut appearance as a judge on American Idol.

1949 - Fran Sheehan: bass, Boston, (1977 UK No.22 single 'More Than A Feeling', 1986 US No.1 single 'Amanda'). Boston has sold more than 75 million records worldwide, including 31 million albums in the United States, of which 17 million were from their self-titled debut album and seven million were for their second album, Don't Look Back, making them one of the world's best-selling artists.

1950 - Teddy Pendergrass: soul singer, (1978 US No.25 single 'Close The Door', 1994 UK No.35 single 'The More I Get The More I Want'). A one-time member of Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes. Died on 13th Jan 2010 at the age of 59 following a difficult recovery from colon cancer surgery.

1953 - William Lyall: Scottish musician William Lyall, keyboards with Pilot who had the 1975 UK No.1 single 'January'. He also worked with Sheena Easton and The Bay City Rollers. Lyall died in 1989.

1955 - Martin Price: from English electronic music group 808 State who had the 1989 UK No.10 single 'Pacific State'. They took their name from the Roland TR-808 drum machine.

1957 - Paul Morley: English music journalist Paul Morley wrote for the New Musical Express from 1977 to 1983 and a co-founder of the record label ZTT Records. Morley was also a member of English avant-garde synth-pop group Art of Noise who had the 1988 UK No.5 single 'Kiss' with Tom Jones.

1959 - Chris Whitten: British session drummer Chris Whitten who provided drums for the hit singles 'What I Am by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, 'World Shut your Mouth' by Julian Cope, and 'The Whole of the Moon' by The Waterboys. Whitten has also worked with Paul McCartney, Dire Straits, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, The Pretenders, Swing Out Sister, ABC, and The The.

1968 - Kenny Chesney: US country singer, songwriter, (2002 US No.1 album ‘No Shoes, No Shirt’, 2005 US No.1 album 'Be As You Are'). Married Bridget Jones and Chicago actress Renee Zellweger in May 2005.

1968 - James Jonas Iha: guitarist with American alternative rock band, Smashing Pumpkins who had the 1995 US No.1 album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

1971 - John Hendy: from English pop boy band East 17 who had the 1994 UK No.1 single 'Stay Another Day, plus 18 top-20 singles and four top-10 albums, and were one of the UK's most popular boy bands during the early to mid-1990s.

1981 - Jay Sean: British producer and songwriter who had the 2009 US No.1 single 'Down' with Lil Wayne and the critically acclaimed debut album Me Against Myself.

Hopefully, we will be able to post a new one tomorrow. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Saturday morning. Well, here is what happened on "This Day In History Of Music".

1964 - Mick Jagger: Keith Richards and Andrew Oldham attended a Decca launch party at the Ex-Serviceman’s Club, Windsor, Berkshire for Oldham's protégé singer Adrienne Posta, whose debut single, 'Shang-A-Doo-Lang' was being released. Also at the party was 17-year-old Marianne Faithfull, with her boyfriend John Dunbar. This was the first time Mick Jagger met Marianne.

1965 - The Supremes: scored their fourth US No.1 single with 'Stop! In The Name Of Love.' The song was included on The Supremes' sixth album, More Hits by The Supremes, and was nominated for the 1966 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Rock & Roll Group Vocal Performance, losing to 'Flowers on the Wall' by the Statler Brothers. The song was also honored by inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's permanent collection of the 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.  

1966 - Roy Orbison: During a UK tour, Roy Orbisonfell off a motorbike while scrambling at Hawkstone Park, Birmingham fracturing his foot. He played the remaining dates sat on a stool and walking on crutches.  

1967-Paul McCartney:  John Lennon and Paul McCartney were awarded the prestigious Ivor Novello award for 'Michelle', the most performed song in the UK in 1966.  

1971 - Brewer & Shipley:  New York radio station WNBC banned the song 'One Toke Over the Line' by Brewer & Shipley because of its alleged drug references. Other stations around the country followed.  

1971 - Bruce Springsteen: & Friendly Enemies opened for The Allman Brothers band at the Sunshine In, Asbury Park in New Jersey, tickets cost $4.00. Springsteen had just disbanded his group Steel Mill and within a few weeks would form Dr. Zoom & The Sonic Boom with Steve Van Zandt.  

1972 - Elvis Presley: recorded what would be his last major hit, 'Burning Love,' which became a No.2 hit on the US chart. Written by Dennis Linde and originally recorded by country soul artist Arthur Alexander, who included it on his 1972 self-titled album. It was soon covered and brought to fame by Elvis, becoming his biggest hit single in the United States since 'Suspicious Minds' in 1969.  

1973 - Carlos Santana: Rolling Stone magazine reported that after becoming a disciple of Sri Chinmoy, Carlos Santana had changed his name to 'Devadip', which means 'the lamp of the light of the Supreme'.  

1976 - Paul McCartney: and Wings were forced to postpone the forthcoming US tour for three weeks after guitarist Jimmy McCulloch fell in his hotel bathroom and broke a finger.  

1979 - Eric Clapton: married Patti Harrison (the ex-wife of George) at Temple Bethel, Tucson, Arizona. Patti applied for a divorce in 1988.  

1984 - Bryan Adams: went into Little Mountain Sound, Vancouver, Canada to record 'Run To You' for his fourth studio album, Reckless. It was the first single released from the album and gave Adam's his first UK hit peaking at No.11. The music video shot in London and Los Angeles was nominated for the 1985 MTV Video Music Awards in five different categories.  

1987 - U2: performed from the roof of a store in downtown LA to make the video for 'Where The Streets Have No Name', attracting thousands of spectators and bringing traffic to a standstill. The police eventually stop the shoot.  

1991 - Donnie Wahlberg: New Kids On The Block's Donnie Wahlberg was arrested after setting fire to carpets (using a bottle of vodka) at The Seelbach Hotel, Louisville. Wahlberg plea bargains the charge down to criminal mischief and was ordered to perform fire safety and anti-drug abuse promos.  

1996 - Howard Wyeth: American drummer Howard Wyeth died of cardiac arrest at St. Vincent's Hospital in Manhattan aged 51. He worked withBob Dylan, Don McLean, Joan Baez, and Joni Mitchell.  

2000 - Ian Dury: Singer, songwriter, poet, and actor, Ian Dury died after a long battle with cancer aged 57. Dury had been disabled by polio as a child, formed Kilburn and the High Roads during the 70s. His first album New Boot's And Panties became a punk classic spending 90 weeks on the UK chart.  

2006 - Village People: Former Village People policeman Victor Willis was arrested in San Francisco, California after he disappeared from a drug and gun trial. Police had charged Willis with being in possession of cocaine and drug paraphernalia in July 2005. He would later be sentenced to three years' probation after he agreed to enter a treatment program.  

2007 - Velvet Revolver: The wife of Velvet Revolver singer Scott Weiland was arrested on suspicion of burning over $10,000 (£5,000) of his belongings outside their home after police in southern California found a bin of smoldering clothes. Earlier that day, the couple left two rooms vandalized after an argument at a luxury hotel.  

2008 - Corinne Bailey Rae: An inquest in Leeds, England heard the husband of UK singer Corinne Bailey Rae died from a suspected overdose. The body of saxophonist Jason Rae, 31, was found in a flat in the Hyde Park area of Leeds. A 32-year-old man arrested on suspicion of supplying controlled drugs was bailed pending further inquiries.  

2008 - Leona Lewis: X Factor winner Leona Lewis became the first British woman to top the US pop chart for more than 20 years with her single ‘Bleeding Love.’ Kim Wilde was the last UK female to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with her 1987 cover version of The Supremes hit ‘You Keep Me Hangin' On’. Petula Clark was the first, with her 1965 track ‘Downtown’, while Sheena Easton's ‘Morning Train’ - released in the UK as 9 To 5 followed in 1981.  

2012 - David Bowie: landmark album Ziggy Stardust was celebrated with a blue plaque in central London. Spandau Ballet star Gary Kemp unveiled a plaque at the spot where the cover of the 1972 release was shot. The location in Heddon Street, just off Regent Street, is now a pedestrianized area brimming with bars and restaurants.  

2015 - Willie Nelson: Country singer Willie Nelson announced that he and his family were hard at work on a new brand of marijuana called Willie's Reserve. Stores of that same name were being planned and were to include his signature brand and other strains that would be grown to meet quality standards.  

2019 - Chris Martin: Coldplay, frontman Chris Martin had a restraining order granted against a deranged stalker. The woman who has visited the outside of his home numerous times claimed they had a romantic relationship. Martin stated that he feared for the safety of his family.  

2019 - Joe Flannery: Beatles' booking manager Joe Flannery, also known as "Secret Beatle", died aged 87. He was the band’s booking manager from 1962-63 and according to Flannery, members of The Beatles would often sleep at his flat and he would drive them home the next morning. He is also said to have given a young George Harison driving lessons.  

2019 - Her’s: Both members of Liverpool band Her’s died while on tour in the US traveling to a gig in California. Stephen Fitzpatrick and Audun Laading were traveling from Arizona to a gig in Santa Ana when they were involved in a road accident. Their tour manager, Trevor Engelbrektson also died in the incident. Her’s released their debut album Invitation To Her’s in August 2018.

2020 - Bob Andy: Jamaican reggae vocalist and songwriter Bob Andy died of cancer at age 75. He was widely regarded as one of reggae's most influential songwriters and recorded with Marcia Griffiths as Bob and Marcia that had a major 1970 UK hit with 'Young, Gifted and Black'. The Jamaican government conferred the Order of Distinction in the rank of Commander on Andy in October 2006 for his contributions to the development of Jamaican music.  

1939 - Bo Winberg: Swedish singer and guitarist Bo Winberg. He was a member of The Spotnicks, who together with the Shadows and the Ventures are counted as one of the most famous instrumental bands during the 1960s. The Spotnicks were famous for wearing “space suit” costumes on stage, and for their innovative electronic guitar sound. Winberg died on 3 January 2020.  

1947 - Andrew Brown: keyboards, vocals, bass with English pop band The Herd, who had three UK top twenty hits in the late 1960s, including 'From the Underworld' and 'I Don't Want Our Loving to Die'.  

1950 - Tony Banks: keyboards, Genesis (1986 US No.1 single 'Invisible Touch', 1992 UK No.7 single 'I Can't Dance' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 hit singles & 6 UK No.1 albums).

1953 - Walter Stocker: from the Australian soft rock band Air Supply who scored the 1980 UK No.11 single 'All Out Of Love' and the 1981 US No.1 single 'The One That You Love'.

1956 - Paul Wickens: British musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, Paul Wickens who has worked with Paul McCartney since 1989. Wickens has also worked with Styx, The Damned, Tim Finn, Paul Carrack, Nik Kershaw, Jim Diamond, Boy George, and David Gilmour.

1957 - Billy MacKenzie: Scottish singer Billy MacKenzie from The Associates who had the 1982 UK No.9 single 'Party Fears Two. MacKenzie committed suicide on 22 January 1997 aged 39 after he overdosed on a combination of paracetamol and prescription medication in the garden shed of his father's house in Auchterhouse, Scotland.

1959 - Andrew Farriss: keyboards, from Australian rock band INXS, who had the 1988 UK No.2 & US No.1 single 'Need You Tonight'. Their 1987 album Kick has sold over 10m copies in the US alone and features four Top 10 singles; 'Need You Tonight,' 'Devil Inside', 'New Sensation,' and 'Never Tear Us Apart.' INXS has sold over 55 million records worldwide.

1962 - Derrick McKenzie: Derrick McKenzie, drummer with Jamiroquai who had the 1993 UK No.1 album Emergency on Planet Earth and the 1998 UK No.1 single 'Deeper Underground'. Jamiroquai has sold more than 26 million albums worldwide and won a Grammy Award in 1998.

1964 - Clark Datchler: English singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer Clark Datchler, from British band Johnny Hates Jazz who had the 1987 UK No.5 single and international success with 'Shattered Dreams'.

1965 - Johnny April: bassist with American rock band Staind who had the 2001 US No.1 album, Break The Cycle.

1970 - Mariah Carey: American singer, songwriter, actress, record producer, and entrepreneur Mariah Carey. She became the first and only artist to have their first five singles reach No.1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. She is the third-best-selling female artist in the United States, with 64 million albums sold. Carey is named after 'They Call The Wind Mariah' from the musical Paint Your Wagon.

1975 - Fergie: US R&B singer, songwriter, a former member of Kids Incorporated, Wild Orchid, co-host of the TV show Great Pretenders, and vocalist of The Black Eyed Peas. 2003 US & UK No.1 single 'Where Is The Love', 2006 US No.1 solo single ‘London Bridge.’ 2007 worldwide No.1 single 'Big Girls Don't Cry.'

1988 - Jessie J: (Jessica Ellen Cornish), English singer-songwriter, who had the 2011 UK No.1 single 'Price Tag' and the 2012 UK No.1 'Domino.'

1990 - Kimbra: Kimbra Lee Johnson). She and Gotye won the Record of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance awards at the 55th Annual Grammy Awards for 'Somebody That I Used to Know', making her only the third New Zealand singer to win a Grammy Award in history.

Have a great Saturday, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Sunday. 

1958 - Buddy Holly: kicked off the first night of a 43 date tour at Brooklyn Paramount Theatre in Brooklyn, New York. Alan Freed’s Big Beat Show also featured Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Frankie Lymon, The Diamonds, Billy Ford, Danny & The Juniors, The Chantels, Larry Williams, Screaming Jay Hawkins, The Pastels, Jo-Ann Campbell, and Ed Townsend. On most days the acts played two shows.

1964 - The Beatles: Madame Tussauds, London unveiled the waxworks images of The Beatles, the first pop stars to be honored.

1967 - The Beatles: Working on sessions for the new Beatles album Sgt. Pepper at Abbey Road studios in London, John Lennon recorded his lead vocal for ‘Good Morning Good Morning’, and Paul McCartney added a lead guitar solo to the track. Lennon had decided he wanted to end the song with animal sound effects and asked that they be sequenced in such a way that each successive animal was capable of scaring or eating the preceding one.

1968 - Pink Floyd: recorded a performance for the BBC 2 TV Omnibus - The Sound of Change show from Barnes Common, London, England. The special, which was produced by Tony Palmer, also featured performances by The Who, Cream, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience. The show was later broadcast in September of this year.

1970 - Simon and Garfunkel: were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', the duo's only UK No.1. Only Art Garfunkel sang on the track.

1973 - Led Zeppelin: released their fifth studio album, Houses Of The Holy in the UK. The album title was a dedication by the band to their fans who appeared at venues they dubbed 'Houses of the Holy. The cover is a collage of several photographs which were taken at the Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland, by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis. The two children who modeled for the cover were siblings Stefan and Samantha Gates.

1974 - Arthur Crudup: Delta blues singer and guitarist Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup died of a stroke at the age of 69. He wrote 'That's All Right (Mama)' covered by Elvis Presley and 'My Baby Left Me.

1976 - Phil Collins: Genesis began their first North American tour since Peter Gabriel left the band, appearing in Buffalo, New York, with Phil Collins taking over as lead singer.

1981 - Blondie: started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Rapture', the group's fourth US No.1 and the first No. 1 song in the US to feature rap and its lyrics, notable for name-checking hip-hop pioneers Fab Five Freddy and Grandmaster Flash.

1982 - David Crosby: was arrested after crashing his car on the San Diego Highway. Police also found cocaine and a pistol in the Crosby Stills & Nash stars car. When the police asked Crosby why he carried the gun, his reply was, 'John Lennon'.

1992 - Ozzy Osbourne: Over $100,000 (£58,800) worth of damage was caused at The Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, California when Ozzy Osbourne invited the first two rows of the audience on stage. Several others took up the offer and the band was forced to exit the stage.

1995 - Jimmy McShane: died of Aids. He had the 1985 UK No.3 single and European hit 'Tarzan Boy with Italian dance outfit Baltimora.

2000 - Jimmy Page: accepted substantial undisclosed libel damages from a magazine that claimed he had caused or contributed to the death of his Led Zeppelin bandmate John Bonham. Page's solicitor, Norman Chapman, told High Court Judge Mr. Justice Morland that the feature in Ministry magazine printed in 1999 claimed Page was more concerned with keeping vomit off his bed than saving his friend's life, and that he stood over him wearing Satanist robes and performing a useless spell.

2001 - Puff Daddy: The artist formerly known as both Puffy and Puff Daddy said in an interview on MTV he now wanted to be known as P. Diddy. In August 2005, he changed his stage name to simply 'Diddy.'

2005 - U2: After playing a warm-up date the night before, at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, U2 kicked off their Vertigo tour at the iPay One Center in San Diego, California. The 131 date world tour would see the band playing in North America, Europe, South America, and Japan. By the time it finished, the Vertigo Tour had sold 4,619,021 tickets, grossing $389 million; the second-highest figure ever for a world tour.

2006 - Whitney Houston: Tina Brown the sister-in-law of Whitney Houston sold pictures taken in her bathroom to the National Enquirer claiming Whitney Houston had been taking crack cocaine. The pictures showed drug paraphernalia including a crack-smoking pipe, rolling papers, cocaine-caked spoons, and cigarette ends strewn across the surface tops of the bathroom.

2013 - Justin Bieber: ran into some trouble at Munich airport when customs officials detained and quarantined his monkey. Bieber had recently been given the capuchin monkey as a pet by record producer Mally Mall. Bieber apparently brought the monkey along to join him on the Austrian and German leg of his European tour, but he didn't have the documentation required to bring his new friend into Germany. Bieber went on to perform in Munich while the monkey was kept in the custody of authorities.

2013 - Hugh McCracken: American rock guitarist and session musician Hugh McCracken died of leukemia in New York City at the age of 70. He appeared on many recordings by Steely Dan, Donald **ahem**en, Billy Joel, Roland Kirk, Roberta Flack, B. B. King, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, The Monkees, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, James Taylor, Phoebe Snow, Bob Dylan, Carly Simon, Graham Parker, Eric Carmen, Loudon Wainwright III, Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, The Four Seasons, Hall and Oates, Gary Wright and Andy Gibb. Because of such high demand for his work, McCracken declined Paul McCartney's invitation to help form his new band, Wings after appearing on his 1971 album Ram.

2014 - Kate Bush: Tickets for Kate Bush's first live shows in 35 years sold out in less than 15 minutes. The Before the Dawn concerts, which were booked to take place this August and September, marked the singer's first return to the stage since The Tour Of Life in 1979. Demand was so high that the singer's own website, as well as some ticket-selling sites, crashed as people tried to log on.

2018 - George Ezra: was at No.1 on the UK album chart with his second studio album Staying at Tamara’s. It became the UK's best-selling artist album of the year in 2018 and was nominated for British Album of the Year at the 2019 Brit Awards.

1941 - Charlie McCoy: Grammy-winning American session musician noted mainly for his harmonica performance, but also for his skill on a wide variety of instruments. He was a member of Area Code 615 and played the harmonica on the 1970 theme for the UK BBC TV Music show 'The Old Grey Whistle Test', 'Stone Fox Chase.' McCoy has performed with musicians including Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Chet Atkins, Waylon Jennings, and Loretta Lynn.

1945 - Chuck Portz: from the American rock The Turtles who had the US 1967 No.1 single 'Happy Together and the 1967 hit 'She'd Rather Be with Me'.

1948 - John Evan: a British musician, and composer. He is best known for having played keyboards for Jethro Tull from April 1970 to June 1980.

1948 - Milan Williams: keyboards, bass, guitar from American funk/soul band, The Commodores, who had the 1978 UK & US No.1 single 'Three Times A Lady' as well as the hits 'Easy' and 'Nightshift'.

1949 - Sally Carr: singer from Scottish pop group Middle Of The Road, who had the 1971 UK No.1 single 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep', which is one of only a few singles to have sold in excess of 10 million physical copies.

1954 - Reba McEntire: country music artist and actress who has scored 35 No.1 singles and released over 25 albums. Sometimes referred to as 'The Queen of Country', she has sold more than 70 million albums worldwide as well as starring in her television sitcom, Reba for which she was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Performance in a Television Series–Musical or Comedy.

1962 - Ged Grimes: bassist from Scottish pop group Danny Wilson who had the 1988 UK No.3 single 'Mary's Prayer'. Grimes also works with Simple Minds.

1965 - Steve Turner: guitarist with American alternative rock band Mudhoney. Their early releases on the Sub Pop label were massively influential on the Seattle music scene.

1969 - Cheryl James: (Salt) from American hip-hop/rap trio from New York City Salt-N-Pepa who had 1991 hit single 'Let's Talk About Sex'.

1969 - James Atkin: guitar and vocals with British dance music/rock band EMF who had the 1990 UK No.3 & US No.1 single 'Unbelievable'. Their debut album, Schubert Dip, went to No.3 on the UK albums chart.

1976 - Dave Keuning: American guitarist Dave Keuning from The Killers, who scored the 2005 UK No.1 with their debut album Hot Fuss. Their 2017 album Wonderful Wonderful peaked at No.1 on the US & UK chart.

1986 - Lady Gaga: (Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta) American singer, songwriter. 2008 single US & UK No.1 single 'Just Dance', 2008 single 'Poker Face', reached No.1 in twenty countries. In 2012, Gaga was ranked at No.4 on Billboard's list of top moneymakers of 2011, grossing more than 25 million dollars.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

Welcome to another "This Day In History Of Music" for this Monday. 

1966 - Mick Jagger: Rolling Stone Mick Jagger was injured during a gig in Marseilles, Southern France after a fan threw a chair at the stage. Jagger required eight stitches in the cut.

1967 - The Beatles: Working at Abbey Road studios The Beatles finished recording ‘Good Morning Good Morning’. They then started work on a new song ‘With a Little Help From My Friends, (originally titled ‘Bad Finger Boogie’), recording 10 takes of the rhythm track, then Ringo overdubs a double-tracked lead vocal.  

1969 - John Lennon: and Yoko Ono, Black Sabbath, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Curved Air, J.J. Jackson's Dilemma, Shy Limbs, Spontaneous Music Ensemble, Sunflower Brass Band, and Toe Fat all appeared at the London Free Easter Festival in Bethnal Green, London, England.  

1973 - Dr. Hook And The Medicine Show: got their picture on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine after their hit, 'The Cover of Rolling Stone' reached No. 6 on the US singles chart. According to members of the group, they really did buy five copies for their mothers, just like the song said.  

1975 - Labelle: went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Lady Marmalade', the group's only No.1. British act All Saints had a UK No.1 with the song in 1998.  

1975 - Led Zeppelin: saw all six of their albums in the US Top 100 chart in the same week, alongside their latest album Physical Graffiti at No.1. Physical Graffiti has now been certified 16 times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for US sales in excess of 16 million copies.  

1979 - Bob Dylan: After attending a Dire Straits show during their residency at the Roxy in Los Angeles, Bob Dylan asked Mark Knopfler and drummer Pick Withers to play on the sessions for his next album. Slow Train Coming was the album, recorded in Muscle Shoals in May of 1979, with Jerry Wexler producing. Dylan had first heard Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler when his assistant Arthur Rosato played him the single 'Sultans of Swing'.  

1980 - Pink Floyd:  The Dark Side Of The Moon album spent its 303rd week on the US album chart, beating the record set by Carole King's 1971 No.1 album Tapestry. The album remained in the US Billboard charts for 741 discontinuous weeks from 1973 to 1988, longer than any other album in chart history. After moving to the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Chart, the album notched up a further 759 weeks and had reached a total of over 1,500 weeks on the combined charts by May 2006.  

1980 - Mantovani: (Annunzio Paolo Mantovan), Orchestra leader died aged 74. Born in Italy his family moved to England in 1912, where he studied at Trinity College of Music in London. He recorded over 50 albums for Decca Records, including Song from Moulin Rouge and Cara Mia, both reached No. 1 in the UK. In the United States, between 1955 and 1972, he released over 40 albums with 27 reaching the Top 40 and 11 the Top Ten. His biggest success was with the album Film Encores, which made it to No. 1 in 1957.  

1981 - Shakin' Stevens: was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the Rosemary Clooney hit 'This Ole House', the Welsh singer's first of four UK No.1's.  

1985 - Jeanine Deckers: The Singing Nun, died aged 52 after taking an overdose of sleeping pills in a suicide pact with a friend. Her 1963 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Dominique' sold over 1.5 million copies, winning a Grammy Award for the year's best Gospel song. Deckers wrote about her financial difficulties in a suicide note, and in a great irony, the very day of her suicide and unknown to her, the Belgian association that collects royalties for songwriters awarded her $300,000 (571,658 Belgian francs).  

1986 - Falco: Austrian singer Falco started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Rock Me Amadeus', also a No.1 in the UK. Falco became the first German-speaking artist to achieve a No.1 on the US charts.  

1996 - Phil Spector: Two former members of the 1950s group, The Teddy Bears filed suit in Los Angeles, California, against producer Phil Spector and several labels. Carol Connors and Marshall Lieb alleged they had not received royalties from re-issues of their 1958 No.1 hit 'To Know Him Is To Love Him.  

1999 - David Bowie: The David Bowie Internet Radio Network broadcast its first show for Rolling Stone Radio. The show was Bowie's favorite songs with Bowie introducing each track.  

2000 - Phil Collins: took out a high court action against two former members of Earth, Wind & Fire. Collins claimed his company had overpaid the musicians by £50,000 ($85,000) in royalties on tracks including 'Sussudio' and 'Easy Lover'.  

2001 - Brian Wilson: was honored in a three-hour tribute at New York's Radio City Music Hall. Guest performances included Billy Joel, Paul Simon, The Go-Gos, and the trio of Carly Simon, David Crosby, and Jimmy Webb. Also singing Beach Boy songs were Ann and Nancy Wilson, Elton John, and Aimee Mann. Brian Wilson himself joined the fun when he took the stage for the final three songs, 'Barbara Ann', 'Surfin' U.S.A.' and 'Fun, Fun, Fun'.  

2004 - Noir Desir: A court in Lithuania sentenced French rock star Bertrand Cantat, lead singer with Noir Desir to eight years in prison for killing his actress girlfriend during a fight. Cantat was convicted of fatally beating Marie Trintignant in a Vilnius hotel room in 2003. Cantat had admitted killing Ms. Trintignant but said it was an accident.  

2005 - Neil Young: was treated for a brain aneurysm at a hospital in New York. Doctors expected the 59-year-old to make a full recovery. The aneurysm was discovered when Young's vision became blurred after the induction ceremony for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month.  

2007 - Rihanna: ‘Umbrella’, by Rihanna featuring Jay-Z was released in the US. The track went on to reach No.1 in various countries, including the US. A No.1 in the UK for 10 consecutive weeks making it the longest-running No.1 single since Wet Wet Wet's ‘Love Is All Around’ in 1994, and the longest-running No.1 by a female artist since Whitney Houston's ‘I Will Always Love You.’  

2007 - Bono: U2 singer Bono accepted an honorary knighthood at a ceremony in Dublin. Fellow band members The Edge and Adam Clayton joined the frontman's wife and four children at the British ambassador David Reddaway's official residence. The rock star and campaigner, 46, was not entitled to be called "Sir" because he is not a British citizen. The U2 singer's new title is Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE).  

2011 - The Beatles: A website that illegally sold Beatles songs online for 25 cents each agreed to pay record companies almost $1m (£625,000) to settle a legal case. BlueBeat.com, based in the US, streamed and sold music by The Beatles, Coldplay, and others until it was sued in 2009. In the few days, before it was forced to shut down, it had distributed more than 67,000 Beatles tracks.  

2015 - Norman Greenbaum: 72-year-old Norman Greenbaum, who wrote and sang the 1969 hit 'Spirit in the Sky', was critically injured when the car he was riding in turned left, crossing into the path of an on-coming motorcycle. The 20-year-old motorcyclist was killed and his passenger was severely injured. After a lengthy recovery, Greenbaum returned to the stage in Santa Rosa, California on November 15, 2015.  

2016 - Thunderclap Newman: Andy Newman from Thunderclap Newman died aged 73. Thunderclap Newman, whose 1969 No.1 hit 'Something in the Air' became one of the indestructible staples of British 1960s pop. Primarily a keyboard player his school friends nicknamed him Thunderclap in honor of his playing technique. The band that would become Thunderclap Newman was formed in late 1968 at the instigation of the Who’s Pete Townshend.  

2017 - George Michael: funeral took place, three months after his sudden death at the age of 53. His family said a 'small, private ceremony was attended by family and close friends. The coroner's verdict on Michael's death only came three weeks before his funeral. Tests were ordered because an initial post-mortem examination was inconclusive.  

2020 - Joe Diffie: Grammy-winning country music star Joe Diffie died age 61 from complications of COVID-19. Diffie charted 35 singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, five of which peaked at No.1. He also co-wrote singles for Holly Dunn, Tim McGraw, and Jo Dee Messina, and recorded with Mary Chapin Carpenter, George Jones, and Marty Stuart.  

2020 - Alan Merrill: American vocalist, guitarist, songwriter Alan Merrill died age 69 after contracting coronavirus. He was the co-writer of, and lead singer on, the first released version of the song 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll', which was recorded by the Arrows in 1975. The song became a breakthrough hit for Joan Jett in 1982 and has since been covered by artists ranging from Britney Spears to Weird Al Yankovic.  

1935 - Ruby Murray: Northern Irish singer and actress Ruby Murray was one of the most popular singers in the UK in the 1950s. In 1955 she secured seven Top 10 UK hit singles including the 1955 UK No.1 'Softly, Softly', and made pop chart history in March 1955 by having five hits in the Top Twenty in a single week. She died at age 61 on 17 December 1996.

1940 - Eden Kane: English pop singer and former teen idol Eden Kane who had the 1961 UK No.1 'Well I Ask You'. He is the brother of musicians Peter Sarstedt and Clive Sarstedt.

1940 - Ray Davis: American musician Ray Davis the original bass singer and one of the founding members of The Parliaments, and subsequently the band's Parliament, and Funkadelic. Davis died in New Brunswick, New Jersey on July 5, 2005, at the age of 65, of respiratory problems.

1940 - Astrud Gilberto: Brazilian samba and bossa nova singer Astrud Gilberto Her version of 'The Girl from Ipanema' won a Grammy for Record of the Year in 1965.

1943 - Chad Allan: who was the founding member and original lead singer of the Canadian rock band Guess Who who had the 1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman'.

1943 - Vangelis: Greek composer of electronic, progressive, ambient, jazz, and orchestral music Evangelos Papathanassiou, (Vangelis). He is best known for his 1981 Academy Award–winning score for the film Chariots Of Fire.

1945 - Speedy Keen: Songwriter, vocalist, drummer, and keyboard player Speedy Keen, from Thunderclap Newman who had the 1969 UK No.1 & US No.37 single 'Something In The Air' which was produced by Pete Townshend. Keen died of heart failure on 21 March 2002 aged 56. 1946 - Terry Jacks: Canadian singer, songwriter Terry Jacks had the 1974 UK & US No.1 single 'Seasons In The Sun'.

1947 - Bobby Kimball: a singer with the American rock band Toto who had the 1980s Top 5 hits 'Hold the Line', 'Rosanna', and 'Africa'. The band has released 17 studio albums and has sold over 40 million records worldwide.

1949 - Dave Greenfield: keyboards with the English rock band the Stranglers who had the 1986 UK No.2 single 'Golden Brown' and over 20 over other UK Top 40 singles. He died on 3 May 2020 at the age of 71 after testing positive for coronavirus.

1949 - Michael Brecker: Brecker Brothers. Notable jazz and rock collaborations included work with Steely Dan, James Taylor, Paul Simon, Lou Reed, Donald **ahem**en, Dire Straits, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, John Lennon, Aerosmith, Dan Fogelberg, Frank Sinatra, Frank Zappa, Bruce Springsteen, Roger Daltrey, and Parliament-Funkadelic. He died on January 13, 2007. 1956 - Patty Donahue: singer from experimental post-punk band from Akron, Ohio, The Waitresses best known for the 1982 hit 'Christmas Wrapping'. Donahue died of lung cancer on 6 December 1996.

1959 - Perry Farrell: American singer-songwriter and musician Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction. Farrell created the touring festival Lollapalooza as a farewell tour for Jane's Addiction in 1991; it has since evolved into an annual destination festival. Farrell has also led the alternative rock groups Porno for Pyros and Satellite Party.

1981 - PJ Morton: American R&B singer, musician, producer, and one of the keyboardists in Maroon 5.

Hopefully, we can do this again just as early tomorrow, which we were able to do today. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Welcome to This Day In History Of Music for this Tuesday.

1957 - Buddy Knox: became the first artist in the Rock 'n' Roll era to write his own number one hit when 'Party Doll' topped the US singles chart. Knox would go on to score four more US Top 40 hits between 1957 and 1961.

1963 - George Harrison: The Chiffons started a four-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with ‘He’s So Fine, which was a No.16 UK hit. In 1971 George Harrison was taken to court accused of copying the song on his 1970 ‘My Sweet Lord’ and ordered to pay $587,000 (£345,000) to the writers.

1963 - Lesley Gore: 16-year-old Lesley Gore recorded her breakthrough hit, 'It's My Party. The song produced by Quincy Jones went on to be a US No.1.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix: During an appearance by Jimi Hendrix on Top Of The Pops a technician put on the backing track of Alan Price's 'Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear', to which Hendrix responded 'I don't know the words to this one man.'

1967 - The Beatles: The photo session took place at Chelsea Manor Studios in London with Michael Cooper for the cover of The Beatles Sgt. Pepper album. After the shoot, The Beatles resumed work at Abbey Road studios on ‘With a Little Help From My Friends’ adding guitars, bass, tambourine, and backing vocals. The session began at 11:00 pm and ends at 7:30 am.

1974 - John Denver: went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sunshine On My Shoulders', the singer's first of four US No.1's. Denver was killed in a plane crash on 12th October 1997.

1976 - Sex Pistols: played their first show at The 100 club, London, they begin a weekly residency at the club in June.

1978 - The Clash: Paul Simonon and Nicky Headon from The Clash were arrested in Camden Town, London after shooting down racing pigeons with air guns from the roof of Chalk Farm Studios. Four police cars and a helicopter were required to make the arrest. Their fines totaled £800 ($1,360).

1985 - Phil Collins: started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'One More Night', his second US No.1, it made No.4 in the UK. The track was taken from his third album, No Jacket Required.

1991 - Chesney Hawks: started a five-week run at the UK No.1 position with his debut single 'The One And Only. The song was featured in the film 'Buddy's Song' in which he appeared with Roger Daltrey. The song was written by 80s singer Nik Kershaw.

1996 - Prodigy: started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Firestarter', the first single from the album The Fat of the Land. The wah-wah guitar riff in 'Firestarter' was sampled from The Breeders' track 'S.O.S.'

2000 - Mick Jagger: made a nostalgic visit to his old school. He opened the new arts center that had been named after him at Dartford Grammar. The singer said he had spent the worst years of his life at the school.

2000 - Ray Dorset: Mungo Jerry singer Ray Dorset was ordered to pay a former employee £620 ($1,054) in back wages after a tribunal heard he had harassed her after she left his company. Dorset told the court he had paid her double pay by mistake for ten months.

2001 - LeAnn Rimes: reached an out-of-court settlement with her father and her former manager. The country star filed a lawsuit claiming the pair had stolen £7 million ($12 million) from her.

2004 - Timi Yuro: died from throat cancer aged 62. Was just 18 years old when she reached No.4 on the US charts in 1961 with 'Hurt'.

2007 - Paul McCartney: A man was arrested by police and detained under the Mental Health Act after trying to force his way into Paul McCartney's mansion, screaming: ‘I must get to him.’ The middle-aged man burst through security patrols into McCartney’s isolated Sussex estate; guards who feared an assassination attempt were scrambled to intercept him as he sped towards the front door. He was finally halted by trees and a fence just yards from Sir Paul’s six-bedroom home at Peasmarsh.

2013 - Simon Fuller: settled a copyright battle with TV network Fox over the US version of The X Factor. The British creator of Pop Idol and US version of American Idol sued Fox and producers FremantleMedia, seeking credit and fees from the US X Factor. The case followed a dispute between Fuller and Simon Cowell in 2004 over similarities between Fuller's American Idol and Cowell's UK show, The X Factor.

2013 - Phil Ramone: US music producer and pioneer of digital recording, Phil Ramone, died aged 79. Ramone was regarded as one of the most successful producers in history, winning 14 Grammy awards and working with stars such as Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Elton John, and Paul McCartney. He produced the first major commercial release on CD, Billy Joel's 1982 album 52nd Street. Ramone had been in hospital for several weeks, where he was being treated for an aortic aneurysm.

2017 - Ed Sheeran: was at No.1 on the US and UK album chart with his third studio album ÷ (pronounced ‘divide’). The album also topped the charts in 14 other countries. The album won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Album at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards.

2019 - Billy Adams: American singer-songwriter Billy Adams died age 79. He wrote and recorded the mid-1950s rockabilly staple ‘Rock, Pretty Mama,’ Other songs he recorded in the late ’50s include ‘You Heard Me Knocking,’ ‘True Love Will Come Your Way’ and ‘You Gotta Have a Duck Tail.’

2020 - Bill Withers: American soul singer Bill Withers died from heart complications aged 81. His hits include 'Just The Two Of Us', 'Lovely Day', and 'Use Me. On 'Lovely Day', he set the record for the longest sustained note on a US chart hit, holding a high E for 18 seconds. His ballad 'Ain't No Sunshine, earned him his first Grammy award.

1913 - Frankie Laine: Italian American singer, songwriter, and actor Frankie Laine who scored the 1953 UK No.1 single 'I Believe', (which spent eighteen non-consecutive weeks at the top of the UK singles chart), plus over 25 other UK Top 20 singles and the 1956 US No.3 single 'Moonlight Gambler'. He died on 6 February 2007 aged 93.

1930 - Rolf Harris: Australian entertainer Rolf Harris who had the 1963 US No.3 single 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport', 1969 UK No.1 single 'Two Little Boys' and 1993 UK No.7 'Stairway To Heaven'. Harris's career ended when he was convicted and imprisoned for sexual offenses. In 2014, at the age of 84, he was jailed on twelve counts of indecent assault on four teenage female victims during the 1970s and 1980s. He was sentenced to 5 years and 9 months in jail.

1942 - Graeme Edge: drummer with English rock band The Moody Blues who had the 1965 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Go Now' and the hits singles including 'Go Now', 'Nights in White Satin' and 'Question'.

1943 - Jay Traynor: American singer Jay Traynor. He was the third lead vocalist of the Mystics, singing falsetto on 'The White Cliffs of Dover', and lead on 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' and 'Blue Star'. Later, he started Jay and the Americans with Kenny Vance and Sandy Yaguda and was the original lead singer. He sang lead on the group's first 1962 hit, 'She Cried'. Traynor died on January 2 2014 age 70.

1943 - Ken Forssi: American bassist Ken Forssi. In 1965 he met Arthur Lee, who then had a band called Grass Roots, and was greatly impressed. Lee hired Forssi as bassist and soon officially formed Love. Love scored the 1966 US No.33 single '7 And 7 Is', 1968 UK No.24 album Forever Changes.

1945 - Eric Clapton: guitarist, singer, a songwriter who has been a member of The Roosters, Casey Jones, and the Engineers, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, and Cream who had the 1967 UK No.11 single 'I Feel Free. He was a member of Blind Faith, and later formed Derek and the Dominoes who had the 1972 UK No.7 single 'Layla'. As a solo artist Clapton scored the 1974 US No.1 single 'I Shot The Sheriff' and the 1992 UK No.5 & US No.25 single 'Tears in Heaven.

1948 - Jim Dandy: from American Southern rock band Black Oak Arkansas, known for their 70s US No.1 radio hit single 'Jim Dandy To The Rescue'.

1950 - Dave Ball: Procol Harum, 1967 UK No.1 & US No.5 single 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' (one of the few singles to have sold over 10 million copies) and scored the hits 'Homburg', 'Conquistador'.

1950 - Re Styles: guitar, vocals, with American band The Tubes known for their 1977 hit single 'White Punks On Dope' and the 1983 US No.10 single 'She's A Beauty.

1954 - Lena Lovich: English-American singer, songwriter Lena Lovich, who had the 1979 UK No.3 single 'Lucky Number'.

1955 - Randy VanWarmer: American singer-songwriter and guitarist Randy VanWarmer, who had the 1979 US No.4 & UK No.8 single 'Just When I Needed You Most'). He died of leukemia on January 12th, 2004.

1962 - MC Hammer: American hip hop artist MC Hammer, (Stanley Kirk Burrell) who had the 1990 US No.1 album Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em, which spent a record-breaking 21 weeks at the top of the chart. Also known for his 1990 hit single 'U Can't Touch This. Burrell became a preacher during the late 1990s with a Christian ministry program on TBN called M.C. Hammer and Friends.

1964 - Tracy Chapman: American singer-songwriter Tracy Chapman had the 1988 UK No.5 & US No.6 single 'Fast Car'. Her 1988 debut album Tracy Chapman, garnered Chapman six Grammy Award nominations, including Album of the Year.

1965 - Tim Dorney: from English alternative rock band Republica who had the 1997 UK No.7 single 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' and the single 'Ready to Go'. 1966 - Joey Castillo: American drummer best known for his ten-year tenure in Queens of the Stone Age, from 2002 to 2012.

1967 - Martin Kent: Martin 'Ace', Kent, guitarist with British rock band Skunk Anansie who had the 1996 UK No.20 single 'Weak'. The band has spent a total of 141 weeks on both the singles and album charts.

1968 - Celine Dion: The French,  Canadian singer who had the 1994 US No.1 single 'The Power Of Love' and the 1998 UK No.1 single 'My Heart Will Go On, plus over 10 other UK Top 40 singles. Her 1995 album D'eux became the best-selling French-language album of all time. She won the Eurovision Song Contest for Switzerland, in 1988.

1973 - Adam Goldstein: American disc jockey Adam Goldstein, (DJ AM). Worked with Crazy Town, Blink 182, Madonna, and Will Smith. He was found dead in his New York City apartment on 28th Aug 2009 of an accidental drug overdose.

1979 - Norah Jones: American singer, songwriter, pianist Norah Jones who had the 2002 US & UK Grammy award-winning No.1 album 'Come Away With Me' which has sold over 27 million copies. Jones is the daughter of Indian sitar player and composer Ravi Shankar.

1979 - Simon Webbe: a singer with English boyband, Blue who had the 2002 UK No.1 single 'If You Come Back. The group also worked alongside artists such as Stevie Wonder, Elton John, and Lil' Kim.

1990 - Thomas Rhett: American country music singer, the son of singer-songwriter Rhett Akins. His third single, 'It Goes Like This' topped the Country Airplay chart and also peaked at No.2 on the Hot Country Songs. His 2015 single 'Die a Happy Man' topped the country charts for 16 weeks.

Until sometime tomorrow, take care and stay safe. 
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Wednesday. Enjoy the read. 

1949 - RCA Victor: introduced the 45rpm single record, which had been in development since 1940. The 7-inch disc was designed to compete with the Long Playing record introduced by Columbia a year earlier. Both formats offered better fidelity and longer playing time than the 78rpm record that was currently in use. Advertisements for new record players boasted that with 45rpm records, the listener could hear up to ten records with speedy, silent, hardly noticeable changes.

1957 - Elvis Presley: Billed as the nation's only atomic powered singer, Elvis Presley played two shows (2 pm and 6 pm), at the Olympia in Detroit, Michigan in front of 24,000 fans.

1958 - Chuck Berry: rock 'n' roll classic 'Johnny B. Goode' single was released. It entered the US charts six weeks later and peaked at No.8 on the chart. The song's original lyrics referred to Johnny as a 'colored boy', but Berry later acknowledged that he changed it to 'country boy' to ensure radio play.

1960 - Lonnie Donegan: became the first British artist to enter the UK chart at No.1, the only other artist to achieve this feat at this time was Elvis Presley. The song which was recorded live at the Bristol Hippodrome was a music hall novelty song.

1962 - The Beatles: played their first gig in the South of England when they appeared at The Subscription Rooms, Stroud, on the same bill as The Rebel Rousers, tickets cost 5 shillings, ($0.70).

1964 - The Beatles: Filming for A Hard Day's Night, The Beatles played a 'live television performance' in front of a studio of screaming fans (one of those fans was Phil Collins). The four songs used in the film were ‘Tell Me Why, ‘I Should Have Known Better, ‘And I Love Her, and ‘She Loves You.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix: set fire to his guitar live on stage for the first time when he was appearing at The Astoria in London, England. It was the first night of a 24-date tour with The Walker Brothers, Cat Stevens, and Engelbert Humperdink. The Fender Stratocaster burned on stage by Hendrix sold for £280,000 at a 2008 London auction of rock memorabilia.

1972 - The Beatles: Official Fan Club closed. The Beatles Monthly magazine had ceased three years previously.

1976 - Brotherhood Of Man: were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the winning song of the Eurovision Song Contest 1976, 'Save Your Kisses For Me.' The group's first of three UK No.1's.

1976 - Led Zeppelin: released Presence, their seventh studio album, on their own Swan Song Records in the UK. Presence has now been certified 3 times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for US sales in excess of 3 million copies.

1984 - Kenny Loggins: started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Footloose', the theme from the film with the same name, a No.6 hit in the UK.

1986 - O'Kelly Isley: of The Isley Brothers died of a heart attack, aged 48. Had a hit in 1962 original version of 'Twist and Shout, (later covered by The Beatles) and the 1968 UK No.3 single 'This Old Heart Of Mine' and 1969 US No.2 single 'It's Your Thing'.

1987 - Prince: released his ninth studio album Sign o' the Times which produced three top-ten hit singles, 'If I Was Your Girlfriend', 'U Got the Look', (with Sheena Easton), and the title track 'Sign o' the Times. In 1989, Time Out magazine ranked it as the greatest album of all time.

1990 - Snap!: German and Italian production team Snap! had their first UK No.1 single with 'The Power.' The track has been featured in many films including Coyote Ugly, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Bruce Almighty soundtrack, and The Fisher King.

1992 - Def Leppard: released their fifth studio album Adrenalize, the first by the band following the 1991 death of guitarist Steve Clark. Former Dio and Whitesnake guitarist Vivian Campbell was brought in as the newest member in April 1992. He appears in all promotional videos for the album's singles (except 'Let's Get Rocked'), despite not playing on the album.

1994 - Madonna: appeared on The Late Show With David Letterman from New York City. The network had to delete 13 offending words from the interview before the show aired. Madonna also handed Letterman a pair of her panties and told him to sniff them. He declined and stuffed them into his desk drawer.

1995 - Jimmy Page: escaped being knifed when a fan rushed the stage at a Page and Plant gig at Auburn Hills, Michigan. The fan was stopped by two security guards, who he knives instead. After his arrest, he told police that he wanted to kill Jimmy Page because of the Satanic music he was playing.

2001 - Whitney Houston: and husband Bobby Brown were banned for life from Hollywood's Bel Air hotel after wrecking their room. Hotel workers said a TV was smashed, two doors were ripped off their hinges and the walls and carpets were stained by alcohol. It was reported that Whitney called in her lawyers to plead with the hotel management not to call the police. The suite was so badly damaged it had to be shut for five days for repairs.

2002 - Barry Gibb: Bee Gee Barry Gibb bought his childhood home in Keppel Road, Chorlton, Manchester. Gibb said he was going to clean the house up, rent it out and put a plaque on the wall.

2005 - Marion Suge Knight: Rap record company boss Marion "Suge" Knight was ordered to pay $107m (£57m) to a woman who claimed she helped found Death Row label in 1989, one of hip-hop's top labels with artists including Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. Lydia Harris said she invested in Death Row but was pushed out by Mr. Knight.

2010 - Cher: first-child, Chaz Bono, asked a judge to formally change his name and gender following the sex change surgery he had last year. The 41-year-old, who was born Chastity Sun Bono, now wanted to be known as Chaz Salvatore according to a petition filed in Los Angeles. Salvatore was his father Sonny Bono's real first name.

2011 - Men at Work: Australian band Men at Work lost an appeal against a ruling which found their 1983 hit single 'Down Under' was partly copied from a folk song. Australia's Federal Court upheld the decision which stated part of the song's melody came from the tune Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree. Record label EMI argued the writers did not plagiarise because the inclusion of two bars from the tune was a tribute.

2013 - Ant and Dec: TV hosts Ant and Dec scored their first British No.1 single, with their 1994 hit 'Let's Get Ready to Rumble. The song made it to No.1 after the duo performed the track on their ITV1 show Saturday Night Takeaway the previous weekend, prompting fans to download it. The duo was also giving all the money they made from sales to the ChildLine charity.

2015 - Joni Mitchell: was rushed to hospital after being found unconscious at her Los Angeles home. The singer-songwriter was admitted to intensive care where she underwent tests. Los Angeles fire officials said paramedics had answered a 911 call in Bel Air, where Mitchell lives, and had taken a patient whom they did not identify to hospital.

2019 - Nipsey Hussle: American rapper, songwriter Nipsey Hussle died age 33 after being shot multiple times in the parking lot of his store, Marathon Clothing, in South Los Angeles. Hussle initially became known for his numerous mixtapes, including his Bullets Ain’t Got No Name series, The Marathon, The Marathon Continues, and Crenshaw. His debut studio album Victory Lap was released in February 2018 to critical acclaim and commercial success and was nominated for Best Rap Album at the 61st Annual Grammy Awards in 2019.

2020 - Cristina: American singer and writer Cristina died at age 61 after being diagnosed with coronavirus. The singer, whose full name was Cristina Monet-Zilkha, was known for dance-pop tunes such as 'Things Fall Apart, 'Disco Clone' and a cover of Peggy Lee’s 'Is That All There Is?' that was emblematic of the 1980s underground New York scene.

1934 - Shirley Jones: American singer and actress Shirley Jones who appeared in the well-known musical films Oklahoma! (1955), Carousel (1956). She played the lead role of Shirley Partridge, the widowed mother of five children, in the musical situation-comedy TV series The Partridge Family (1970–74), which co-starred her real-life stepson David Cassidy. The Partridge Family had the 1970 US No.1 single 'I Think I Love You', and the 1972 UK No.3 single 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do'.

1937 - Herb Alpert: American jazz musician Herb Alpert, most associated with the group Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass. Alpert had the 1968 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'This Guy's In Love With You' written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Alpert formed A&M Records with Jerry Moss, at first operating from his garage at home. Alpert and Moss sold A&M in 1987, to PolyGram Records for a reported $500 million.

1942 - Hugh McCracken: American guitarist and session musician Hugh McCracken. He appeared on many recordings by Steely Dan, Donald **ahem**en, Billy Joel, Roland Kirk, Roberta Flack, B. B. King, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, The Monkees, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, James Taylor, Phoebe Snow, Bob Dylan, Carly Simon, Graham Parker, Eric Carmen, Loudon Wainwright III, Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, The Four Seasons, Hall and Oates, Gary Wright and Andy Gibb. Because of such high demand for his work, McCracken declined Paul McCartney's invitation to help form his new band, Wings after appearing on his 1971 album Ram. McCracken died on 28 March 2013 of leukemia in New York City at the age of 70.

1944 - Rodney Bainbridge: bassist, from English harmony beat group The Fortunes, who had the 1965 UK No.2 & US No.7 single 'You've Got Your Troubles' and the hits 'Here It Comes Again and 'Storm in a Teacup'.

1944 - Mick Ralphs: English guitarist Mick Ralphs from Mott The Hoople, who had the 1972 UK No.3 & US No.37 single 'All The Young Dudes' which was written for them by David Bowie. Other hits include, 'All the Way from Memphis' and 'Roll Away the Stone'. He joined Bad Company who had the 1974 UK No.15 & US No.5 single 'Can't Get Enough.

1946 - Al Nichol: from the American rock The Turtles who had the US 1967 No.1 single 'Happy Together and the 1967 hit 'She'd Rather Be with Me'.

1947 - Al Goodman: American singer Al Goodman from The Moments who had the 1970 US No. 3 single ' 'Love on a Two-Way Street'. For contractual reasons they changed their name to Ray, Goodman & Brown and had further hits, including 'Special Lady'.

1947 - Jon Poulos: drummer with American Sunshine pop group The Buckinghams who had the 1967 US No.1 single 'Kind Of A Drag' and became one of the top-selling US acts of 1967.

1948 - Thiis Van Leer: organ, flute, with Dutch rock band Focus who had the 1973 UK No.4 single 'Sylvia', and the 1973 US No. 9 single 'Hocus Pocus'.

1954 - Tony Brock: British rock drummer Tony Brock, The Babys who had two hits on the US chart, 'Isn't It Time' (1977) and 'Every time I Think of You' (1979). Brock has also worked with Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison, Jimmy Barnes, and Elton John.

1955 - Angus Young: Scottish-born Australian guitarist with AC/DC, known for his energetic performances and schoolboy-uniform stage outfits. 1980 UK No.36 single 'Whole Lotta Rosie' and 1980 UK No.1 & US No.14 album Back In Black. AC/DC is the fifth-best-selling band in US history with over 70 million albums sold.

1958 - Paul Ferguson: drummer from the British post-punk group Killing Joke who had the 1985 UK No.16 single 'Love Like Blood'.

1971 - Julian Deane: from British alternative rock band, Toploader who had the 2000 UK No.7 single with 'Dancing In The Moonlight' a cover of the French-American rock group King Harvest.

1974 - Stefan Olsdal: bassist with alternative rock band Placebo who had the 1997 UK No. 6 single ‘Nancy Boy’.

1978 - Tony Yayo: (Marvin Bernard), American rapper with G-Unit and solo who had the 2005 single 'So Seductive' feat. 50 Cent'. His stage name is derived from the 1983 film Scarface, referencing the main character Tony Montana, and Yayo, the slang word for cocaine.

1984 - Jack Antonoff: American singer, musician of the indie-pop band Fun who scored the 2012 US No.1 single ‘We Are Young’. Antonoff worked with Taylor Swift on her album 1989.

Until some time tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday morning. Here is what happened on This Day In History Of Music. 

1961 - The Beatles: began a three-month residency at The Top Ten Club, Hamburg, playing 92 straight nights. The group played for seven hours a night on weekdays and eight hours at weekends with a fifteen-minute break every hour. It was during this visit that Astrid Kirchherr cut Stuart Sutcliffe's hair into the style destined to become known as the "Beatle haircut" which The Beatles later adopted themselves.

1965 - The Who: recorded an appearance for Top Of The Pops at the Manchester television studio. The band then played a gig supporting Donovan at The Town Hall, Wembley, with Rod Stewart and the Soul Agents appearing at the bottom of the bill.

1966 - The Troggs: recorded 'Wild Thing' at Regent Sound Studio in London. The song went on to be a No.1 US and No.2 UK hit in June the following year. The track was recorded in one complete take (take two).

1966 - David Bowie: Pye Records released David Bowie's first solo single, 'Do Anything You Say. Despite featuring Bowie’s backing band at the time, The Buzz, the single was to be the first simply credited to David Bowie (which failed to chart). Bowie had previously recorded as David Jones and The Lower Third.

1966 - John Lennon: bought a copy of Timothy Leary's The Psychedelic Experience and The Tibetan Book Of The Dead, where he read near the beginning of the book's introduction; "When in doubt, relax, turn off your mind, float downstream," which captured Lennon's imagination and became the first line of 'Tomorrow Never Knows' which he recorded 5 days later.

1969 - Beach Boys: announced they were suing their record label Capitol for $2m in unpaid royalties.

1970 - Phil Spector: 50 musicians recorded the orchestral scores for The Beatles tracks 'The Long And Winding Road' and 'Across The Universe' for the Phil Spector produced sessions. The bill for the 50 musicians was £1,126 and 5 shillings, ($1.914).

1970 - The Rolling Stones: Earls Court in London received over one million postal ticket applications for The Rolling Stones' forthcoming six concerts as part of the group's European tour.

1970 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono: As an April Fool's joke, John Lennon and Yoko Ono issued a statement to the press that they were having dual sex change operations.

1975 - The Bay City Rollers: TV series Shang-A- Lang premiered on ITV in the UK. It featured the band in comedy sketches and performing their songs to a live studio audience made up of their teenage fans. This resulted in chaotic scenes at times as some members of the audience attempted to run onto the studio floor to meet their heroes. It ran for one 20-week series in 75.

1976 - AC/DC: Making their live debut in the UK, AC/DC played at The Red Cow in Hammersmith, London.

1976 - The Buzzcocks: played their debut live gig when they appeared at Bolton Institute Of Technology. The power was turned off after three numbers.

1984 - Marvin Gaye: was shot dead by his father at his parent's home in Los Angeles, California. The argument started after his parents squabbled over misplaced business documents, Gaye attempted to intervene and was killed by his father using a gun he had given him four months before. Marvin Sr. was sentenced to six years of probation after pleading guilty to manslaughter. Charges of first-degree murder were dropped after doctors discovered Marvin Sr. had a brain tumor.

1985 - Van Halen: David Lee Roth quit Van Halen shortly after releasing his version of The Beach Boys 'California Girls', (which featured Carl Wilson on background vocals). He was replaced by Sammy Hagar later in the year.

1989 - Madonna: scored her third UK No.1 album with 'Like A Prayer.' Also a US No.1 the album spent 70 weeks on the UK chart.

1989 - The Bangles: went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Eternal Flame', also a No.1 in the UK and the biggest selling single of 1989 in Australia.

2001 - Mel B: It was reported that Spice Girl Mel B had been advised to sell her £3.5m Buckinghamshire mansion because she couldn't afford to run it. The singer told friends she had to take out a £500.000 bank loan.

2004 - Paul Atkinson: guitarist with The Zombies died aged 58 due to liver and kidney disease. They scored the 1964 US No.2 & UK No.12 single 'She's Not There'. He later became an artist and repertoire executive, working for Columbia and RCA discovering and signing such bands as ABBA, Bruce Hornsby, Mr. Mister, Judas Priest, and Michael Penn.

2005 - U2: During the first leg of their Vertigo World tour, U2 appeared at the Arrowhead Sports Arena in Anaheim, Southern California, with Kings Of Leon as the opening act. By the end of the 131 date tour, 4,619,021 tickets had been sold with a total gross of $389 million.

2007 - Alanis Morissette: released a tongue-in-cheek cover of The Black Eyed Peas's 'My Humps', which she recorded in a slow, mournful voice, accompanied only by a piano. The accompanying YouTube video, in which she danced provocatively with a group of men received over 15m views.

2013 - The Beatles: A signed copy of The Beatles' album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band sold at Dallas-based Heritage Auctions for $290,500 (£191,000). The selling price far exceeded the $30,000 (£19,700) originally estimated for the rare LP record. The UK Parlophone copy of the album included a high gloss cover and vinyl gatefold sleeve.

2015 - Cynthia Lennon: the first wife of The Beatles' John Lennon died at her home in Spain following a short battle with cancer. At the height of The Beatles' early success, she was, at the insistence of the band's management, kept in the background so their legions of female fans were not aware of her existence. The couple divorced in 1968 after Cynthia discovered her husband's affair with Yoko Ono.

2017 - Bob Dylan: After months of uncertainty and controversy, Bob Dylan finally accepted the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature at a jovial, champagne-laced ceremony. The academy, which awards the coveted prize, ended prolonged speculation as to whether the 75-year-old troubadour would use a concert stopover in Stockholm to accept the gold medal and diploma awarded to him back in October.

2019 - Ed Sheeran: wildlife pond was given the all-clear by inspectors despite neighbors complaining that it was actually a swimming pool. A Suffolk Coastal District Council team visited the pop star's estate and found "no evidence that it is not a wildlife pond". Sheeran was given planning permission for the development on the basis it was used for wildlife and not for swimming or any other recreational leisure activity.

2020 - Adam Schlesinger: American singer-songwriter, record producer, and guitarist Adam Schlesinger, best known for his work with Fountains Of Wayne, died at the age of 52 as a result of health complications caused by COVID-19. Fountains Of Wayne formed in New Jersey in 1995 and were named after a lawn ornament store in the state. Over his career, Schlesinger earned nominations for an Oscar, a Golden Globe, Tonys, Grammys, and Emmys, winning the latter two.

1939 - Rudolph Isley: from American group The Isley Brothers who first came to prominence in 1959 with their fourth single, 'Shout', and then the 1962 hit 'Twist and Shout. The Isley Brothers also scored the hits 'This Old Heart Of Mine', 'Summer Breeze' and 'Harvest for the World'. Sixteen of their albums charted in the Top 40.

1942 - Alan Blakley: who with Brian Poole and the Tremeloes had the UK 1963 No.1 hit 'Do You Love Me' and with The Tremeloes the 1967 UK No.1 & US No.11 single 'Silence Is Golden'. He died of cancer on 1st June 1996.

1942 - Phil Margo: from American male doo-wop-style vocal group The Tokens who had the 1961 US No.1 & UK No.11 single with its cover of Solomon Linda's 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

1945 - John Barbata: American drummer John Barbata from the American rock The Turtles who had the US No.1 single 'Happy Together, and with Jefferson Starship the 1987 UK & US No.1 single 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us'. Barbata also worked with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

1946 - Ronnie Lane: bass player and vocalist with Small Faces who had a 1967 UK No.3 & US No.16 single with ‘Itchycoo Park’ and a 1968 UK No.1 album with 'Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake'. As The Faces, they had a 1972 UK No.6 & US No.17 single with ‘Stay With Me. Ronnie then formed Slim Chance, who had a 1974 UK No.5 single with ‘How Come’. He died on June 4th, 1997, aged 51, after a 20 year battle with multiple sclerosis.

1947 - Robin Scott: English singer Robin Scott who as the founder of a music project he called M scored the 1979 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Pop Muzik' from the debut album New York, London, Paris, Munich.

1948 - Jimmy Cliff: Jamaican ska and reggae musician, multi-instrumentalist, singer Jimmy Cliff who had the 1969 UK No.6 & US No.25 single 'Wonderful World Beautiful People', and the 1970 UK No.8 hit with his version of Cat Stevens' 'Wild World'. He starred in the film The Harder They Come, which helped popularise reggae across the world.

1948 - Simon Cowe: guitarist with English group Lindisfarne who had the 1970s hit singles 'Meet Me on the Corner', 'Lady Eleanor and 'Run For Home'. Their album Fog on the Tyne became the biggest selling UK album in 1972.

1951 - Henry Gross: American singer-songwriter Henry Gross, best known as a member of Sha Na Na and for his hit song, ‘Shannon’. He was the youngest person, at age 18, to play on the main stage at the Woodstock Festival in 1969.

1954 - Jeff Porcaro: American drummer, songwriter, and record producer Jeff Porcaro, best known for his work with Toto. Porcaro is one of the most recorded session musicians in history - he came to prominence in the United States as the drummer on the Steely Dan album Katy Lied. He also worked with Paul McCartney, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Joe Walsh, Miles Davis, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, and many other acts. Porcaro had fallen ill after spraying insecticide in the yard of his home and died that evening on 5th August 1992.

1961 - Susan Boyle: Scottish singer, debut 2009 album 'I Dreamed a Dream' was the biggest selling album in the world in 2009.

1961 - Mark White: guitarist with English pop band ABC who as part of the New Romantic movement had the 1982 UK No.4 & 1983 US No.18 'The Look Of Love'. Their 1982 debut album, The Lexicon of Love, was a UK No.1 and they achieved ten UK and five US Top 40 hit singles between 1981 and 1990.

1965 - Peter O'Toole: from Irish rock group Hothouse Flowers who scored the 1988 UK No.11 single 'Don't Go'. Their first album, People, released in 1988 became the most successful debut album in Irish history. It reached the No.1 slot in Ireland within a week and eventually reached No.2 in the UK Albums Chart.

1971 - Method Man: American rapper, record producer, and actor Clifford Smith, (Method Man), from Wu-Tang Clan who had the 1997 US & UK No.1 album Wu-Tang Forever.

1981 - Hannah Spearritt: Hannah Louise Spearitt, from English pop group S Club 7 who had the 1999 UK No.1 single 'Bring It All Back'. Their 2000 UK No.1 album 7 spent over a year on the UK chart. The group was formed in 1998 and quickly rose to fame by starring in their own BBC television series, Miami 7.

1986 - Hillary Scott: American country music singer-songwriter, Hillary Scott from Lady Antebellum. Winner of seven Grammy Awards, seven Academy of Country Music Awards, and six Country Music Association awards.

1994 - Ella Eyre: English singer and songwriter best known for her collaborations with Rudimental on their UK No.1 single 'Waiting All Night' which won the 2014 Brit Award for British Single of the Year, and DJ Fresh on his single 'Gravity'.

MOHLovesAlaska

va
Opening Act

that is awesome and fascinating

@va thank you for your interest in this post. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

I'm sorry for the late post. I hope you had a great Friday, may your weekend become all that you desire for it to be. So here is what happened This Day In History Of Music for this Friday. 

1955 - Elvis Presley: (with Scotty Moore and Bill Black), Slim Whitman, Hoot and Curley, Johnny Horton, Tibby Edwards, and Floyd Cramer all appeared at the Louisiana Hayride broadcast from Shreveport Auditorium in Shreveport, Louisiana, and shown on KWKH Television.

1964 - Beach Boys: recorded their next single 'I Get Around', which became their first US No.1 in the summer of this year. The song begins with a multi-part Cappella introduction that quickly shifts into rock-style verses sung by Mike Love and a pop chorus sung in falsetto by Brian Wilson.

1964 - The Beatles: had their fourth UK No.1 single with 'Can't Buy Me Love.' With advanced sales of over 2.1 million, it holds the record for the greatest advanced orders for a single in the UK.

1965 - Ready Steady Goes Live!: The first edition of the new music show 'Ready Steady Goes Live!' was shown on UK TV, featuring presenters Cathy McGowan and Keith Fordyce.

1967 - The Rolling Stones: 154 Austrian Rolling Stones fans were arrested when a riot broke out at a 14,000-seated Town Hall gig; a smoke bomb was thrown on the stage.

1969 - Bruce Springsteen: new group Child made their live debut at the Pandemonium Club in Wanamassa, New Jersey.

1970 - The Beatles: Phil Spector completed final editing and mixing for The Beatles Let It Be album, 16 months after the Get Back project had begun.

1971 - Janis Joplin: was at No.1 on the US album charts with the posthumously released Pearl. The album features the No.1 hit 'Me and Bobby McGee', written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster on which she played acoustic guitar.

1975 - The Bay City Rollers: were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of The Four Seasons song 'Bye Bye Baby.' It gave the Scottish group the best-selling single of 1975.

1977 - Abba: were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their fifth No.1 'Knowing Me, Knowing You.' The song was also a Top 10 hit in over 15 countries.

1977 - Fleetwood Mac: went to No.1 on the US album chart with Rumours. The album is Fleetwood Mac's most successful release; along with winning the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1978, the record has sold over 45 million copies worldwide.

1977 - Frank Sinatra: scored his fourth UK No.1 album with Portrait Of Sinatra - Forty Songs from the Life of a Man, which consisted of 40 songs that were recorded for Reprise Records.

1981 - Bob Dylan: CBS records launched the 'Nice Price' series of back catalog albums in the UK. The first batch priced at £2.99 included early albums by Bob Dylan, Santana, Billy Joel, ABBA, Janis Joplin, and Simon And Garfunkel.

1987 - Buddy Rich: One of the greatest jazz drummers of all time, Buddy Rich died aged 69 due to complications caused by a brain tumor. Rich worked with many acts including, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Tommy Dorsey's band, Dizzy Gillespie, and Oscar Peterson. Rush's Neil Peart organized a pair of 90s tribute albums (titled Burning for Buddy), which also featured the work of Kenny Aronoff, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Max Roach, Steve Smith, and Matt Sorum.

1990 - Eric Clapton: was fined by Walton-on-Thames Magistrates court, after being booked for speeding at 105mph; Clapton was also banned from driving for three months.

1990 - Nirvana: went into Smart Studios in Madison, Wisconsin and started work on demo versions of ‘In Bloom’, ‘Dive’, ‘Lithium’, ‘Pay To Play’, ‘Imodium’, ‘Sappy’ and ‘Polly’ with Butch Vig producing.

1998 - Rob Pilatus: one half of pop duo Milli Vanilli was found dead in a Frankfurt Hotel room after taking a lethal combination of drugs and alcohol. Milli Vanilli won the 1989 best new artist Grammy after hits like 'Blame it on the Rain' and 'Girl, You Know It's True,' selling 30 million singles and 14 million albums. But in late 1990, the performers were stripped of the award after it was revealed that neither actually sang on the Milli Vanilli album.

1999 - The Black Crowes: played a concert in Knoxville, Tennessee. Joshua Harmon, a teenager sitting in the second row sued the band a year later for $5,000 claiming a significant hearing loss.

2001 - Mariah Carey: signed the richest recording deal in history. The 31-year old singer signed a deal with Virgin for three albums worth £60m. The singer had sold over 120 million records worldwide, scoring 14 US No.1 singles.

2003 - Edwin Starr: US soul singer Edwin Starr died at his British home in Nottingham aged 61. Formed The Future Tones in 1957, had the 1970 US No.1 and UK No.3 anti-Vietnam War protest song 'War', (which according to Starr was recorded in one take).

2004 - Chris Martin: Coldplay singer Chris Martin was accused of attacking a photographer after leaving a London restaurant with his wife Gwyneth Paltrow. A Coldplay spokesman said photographer Alessandro Copetti had been running after Paltrow's taxi and tripped. Mr. Copetti said he had been taking pictures of the singer and his wife outside a restaurant when Martin kicked him from behind.

2005 - Kanye West: had to abandon a signing appearance in Fresno, California, after a fight broke out between a fan and a security guard. West was taken out of the back door of the new FTK urban boutique, while the owners locked all the doors and cleared around 1,000 fans from the store's parking area.

2006 - Gnarls Barkley: started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Crazy.' The American duo made chart history by becoming the first act ever to reach No.1 through computer downloads only. The single was not available to buy in shops until the following week.

2006 - John Lennon: A John Lennon schoolbook containing the 12-year-old's drawing of Lewis Carroll's poem The Walrus and the Carpenter was sold at auction for £126,500, ($239,733). The poem inspired Lennon to write The Beatles' 1967 song ‘I Am The Walrus’. Also sold for £12,000, ($22,741) was a ship's logbook written by Lennon during a stormy trip to Bermuda in 1980, and a letter from Paul McCartney to his bandmates Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr failed to reach its £50,000, ($94,742) reserve price.

2006 - Marvin Gaye: An area in Washington D.C. formally called Watts Branch Park, was officially rededicated as Marvin Gaye Park on what would have been the singer's 67th birthday. Gaye grew up in East Capitol Dwellings, at #12 60th Street, NE, near the east end of the park.

2013 - Coldplay: beat the likes of Pink Floyd and The Beatles to the top of a BBC Radio 2 poll to find listeners' favorite album of all time. A Rush Of Blood To The Head, came top of the list. Keane's Hopes And Fears took second place, with Duran Duran's Rio in third. Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon came fourth, while The Beatles' 1967 classic Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band could only manage to reach eighth place. The poll was held to tie in with the recent BBC season The Golden Age of the Album.

2013 - Motown Records: A grand piano used in the Motown Records studios was fully restored and put on display at a museum dedicated to the legendary record label in Detroit. Sir Paul McCartney helped fund the restoration of the 1877 Steinway, which was originally in Motown's Studio B.and was used to create hits for names including Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, and Edwin Starr.

2014 - U2: Recordings by U2, (The Joshua Tree), the Everly Brothers, ('Cathy's Clown'), Jeff Buckley, ('Hallelujah'), Linda Ronstadt, (Heart Like a Wheel) and Creedence Clearwater Revival's('Fortunate Son') were among those newly selected for induction into the Library of Congress National Recording Registry.

2019 - Kim English: American electronica, soul, gospel, and house music singer, Kim English died age 48. She had been diagnosed with kidney failure for five years, and had been on dialysis, and awaiting a transplant. By 2007, English had earned her sixth, seventh, and eighth US dance number ones with ‘It Makes a Difference’, ‘C’est La Vie, and ‘My Destiny’.

1928 - Serge Gainsbourg: French singer-songwriter, actor, and director. Had the 1969 UK No.1 single with Jane Birkin 'Je t'aime... Moi non plus' the only French-language chart-topper in the UK. The track was originally written for and sung with Brigitte Bardot in 1967, but that version was not released until 1986. Gainsbourg died of a heart attack on March 2nd, 1991.

1939 - Marvin Gaye: a singer, songwriter who had a 1968 US No.1 & 1969 UK No.1 single with ‘I Heard It Through The Grapevine and a 1982 US No.3 & UK No.4 single with ‘Sexual Healing’. Gaye was a member of the doo-wop group The Moonglows in the late 1950s and then signed with Motown Records subsidiary, Tamla. He started off as a session drummer but later ranked as the label's top-selling solo artist during the 1960s. He was crowned "The Prince of Motown" and "The Prince of Soul". He was shot dead by his father on April 1st, 1984.

1941 - Leon Russell: singer songwriter, mult-instumentalist. Worked with Phil Spector, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones Glenn Campbell, wrote 'Delta Lady' a hit for Joe Cocker. Played on The Byrds hit 'Mr. Tambourine Man.' Russell died on 13th Nov 2016 aged 74.

1943 - Glen Dale: guitar, vocals, from English harmony beat group The Fortunes, who had the 1965 UK No.2 & US No.7 single 'You've Got Your Troubles' and the hits 'Here It Comes Again and 'Storm in a Teacup'.

1946 - Kurt Winter: Canadian guitarist and songwriter Kurt Winter from Canadian rock band Guess Who who had the 1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman'. Winter penned the hit singles ‘Bus Rider’ and ‘Hand Me Down World’, both of which were hits for The Guess Who. Winter died of kidney failure at the age of 51 on 14 December 1997.

1947 - Emmylou Harris: American singer, songwriter, and musician Emmylou Harris who has won 14 Grammys, the Polar Music Prize, and numerous other honors, including induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. She has worked with numerous leading artists, including Don Williams, Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan, John Denver, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Roy Orbison, The Band, Mark Knopfler, Albert Lee, Delbert McClinton, Guy Clark, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Steve Earle, and Ryan Adams.

1952 - Leon Wilkeson: bassist with southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd who had the 1974 US No. 8 single 'Sweet Home Alabama' the 1977 US No. 5 album Street Survivors and the 1982 UK No.21 single 'Freebird'. Wilkeson was found dead on July 27, 2001, in a Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, hotel room; he was 49 years old. He had apparently been suffering from chronic liver and lung disease.

1953 - David Robinson: The Cars, who had the 1978 UK No.3 single 'My Best Friend's Girl.' Their 1984 US No.3 & 1985 UK No.4 'Drive' was used as part of the soundtrack for the Live Aid concert.

1956 - Gregory Abbott: American singer, Gregory Abbott had the 1986 UK No.6 single 'Shake You Down'.

1963 - Keren Woodward: a singer with British female pop group Bananarama who had the 1984 UK No.3 single 'Robert De Niro's Waiting', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles, and the 1986 US No.1 single 'Venus' a cover of the Dutch rock band Shocking Blue 1970 hit.

1967 - Greg Camp: Songwriter, guitarist, and vocalist Greg Camp from American rock band Smash Mouth. Camp has written Smash Mouth's most memorable songs of the later 1990s and early 2000s, including 'Walkin' on the Sun,' 'All-Star,' and 'Then the Morning Comes'.

1971 - Chico: (Yousseph Slimani), singer, reached the semi-finals of the UK 2005 series of The X Factor, (2006 UK No.1 single, ‘It's Chico Time’).

1979 - Jesse Carmichael: keyboards, Maroon 5, who had the 2004 UK No.1 album Songs About Jane’ the 2004 US No.1 & UK No.4 single ‘She Will Be Loved’ and the 2014 US No.1 album V.

1981 - Scott Cain: Australian singer and winner of the third Australian Popstars competition. (2002 Australian No.1 single 'I'm Moving On').

1983 - Yung Joc: Jasiel A. Robinson, (Yung Joc), 2007 US No.1 with T-Pain, ‘Buy U a Drank, Shawty Snappin'.

1991 - Quavo: American hip hop recording artist Quavo best known as a member of the southern hip hop group Migos. Their second album, Culture, released in January 2017 debuted atop the Billboard 200 chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

So here is what happened on This Day In History Of Music for this Saturday. 

1956 - Elvis Presley: appeared on ABC-TV's 'The Milton Berle Show' live from the flight deck of the USS Hancock in San Diego, California. He performed 'Heartbreak Hotel' 'Shake Rattle And Roll' and 'Blue Suede Shoes.' It was estimated that one out of every four Americans saw the show.

1960 - Elvis Presley: During recording sessions at RCA studios in Nashville, Tennessee, Elvis Presley recorded ‘It's Now Or Never, ‘Fever’, and ‘Are You Lonesome Tonight.  

1961 - The Marcels: started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Rodgers and Hart song 'Blue Moon', also a No.1 in the UK.  

1964 - Bob Dylan: made his first appearance on the UK charts with 'The Times They Are A-Changin''. Dylan wrote the song as a deliberate attempt to create an anthem of change for the time. In January 1984, a young Steve Jobs recited the second verse of 'The Times They Are a-Changin'' in his opening of the 1984 Apple shareholders meeting, where he famously unveiled the Macintosh computer for the first time.  

1967 - The Beatles: Working on The Beatles Sgt. Pepper album at Abbey Road studios in London, George Harrison recorded his lead vocal on his song 'Within You Without You' as well as a sitar part, and some acoustic guitar parts.  

1969 - The Doors: Jim Morrison turned himself into the FBI in Los Angeles. He was charged on six charges of lewd behavior and public exposure at a concert in Miami on March 2nd, 1969. He was later released on $2000 bail.  

1971 -The Temptations: scored their second US No.1 with 'Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)'. The track is considered one of the Temptations' signature songs and is notable for recalling the sound of the group's 1960s recordings. It is also the final Temptations single to feature founding members, Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams.  

1975 - Steve Miller: was charged with setting fire to the clothes of a friend, Benita Diorio. When police arrived at Miller's house, Diorio was putting out the flames, Miller then got into a fight with some of the policemen and was charged with resisting arrest.  

1976 - Sex Pistols: A then-unknown Sex Pistols opened for The 101'ers at The Nashville Rooms in London. The 101ers were a pub rock band, notable as being the band that Joe Strummer left to join The Clash.  

1979 - Kate Bush: kicked off the 28-date 'Tour Of Life' trek making her concert debut at Liverpool's Empire Theatre, England. Bush never set out on another tour again. She played a run of 22 shows at London's Hammersmith Apollo in 2014.  

1983 - U2: After completing a 29-date UK tour, U2 appeared on BBC TV Top Of The Pops performing their latest single 'Two Hearts Beat As One.  

1990 - Sarah Vaughan: American jazz singer Sarah Vaughan died of lung cancer. She had the 1954 US No.6 single 'Make Yourself Comfortable' and released over 50 albums. March 27, is "Sarah Lois Vaughan Day" in both San Francisco and Berkeley, California in honor of the singer.  

1993 - Bluebells: 10 years after its first release, The Bluebells had a UK No.1 single with 'Young At Heart' after the track was featured on a Volkswagen TV commercial. The song was co-written by Bananarama member Siobhan Fahey. (and recorded by Bananarama). In 2002 session musician Bobby Valentino, who performed the violin solo on The Bluebells version of the song won the right to be recognized as a co-author after taking legal action.  

1999 - Lionel Bart: English composer Lionel Bart died from cancer aged 69. Wrote 'Living Doll' for Cliff Richard, 'Little White Bull' for Tommy Steele, composed the musical, 'Oliver', And wrote the theme song for the 1963 James Bond film From Russia With Love.  

2001 - Robbie Williams: won the award for the most radio plays in the UK for the third year running. The singer picked up the award at the Radio Academy Awards in London.  

2002 - Frank Tovey: Influential British avant-garde electronic musician Frank Tovey of Fad Gadget died of heart failure aged 45. Was infamous for spreading his naked body in shaving cream onstage and would play various instruments with his head.  

2003 - Homer Banks: Stax records songwriter Homer Banks died aged 61. Wrote 'I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down', recorded by Sam & Dave and the UK hit for Elvis Costello. Rod Stewart, The Emotions, Isaac Hayes, Millie Jackson, and Johnny Taylor all covered his songs.  

2006 - The Wonder Stuff: Founder member and original drummer for The Wonder Stuff, Martin Gilks died aged 41, after losing control of his motorbike in London. Gilks was voted the best drummer on the planet in an NME poll in 1989.  

2007 - Keith Richards: Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards denied that he snorted the ashes of his late father. Jane Rose, Richards' manager, told MTV News the remarks were made ‘in jest’, and she could not believe they had been taken seriously. Richards had said in an interview with the NME: ‘He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow.’ But NME interviewer Mark Beaumont was convinced that Richards was not joking when speaking to him about the alleged incident. ‘He did seem to be quite honest about it. There were too many details for him to be making it up,’ he later told BBC news.  

2008 - Morrissey: accepted a public apology in court from Word Magazine after it suggested he was a racist and a hypocrite. The singer took Word to court after an article concerning his political views appeared in its March edition. His solicitor said the magazine now accepted that it was "absurd to accuse Mr. Morrissey of being a racist" and that he was "not a hypocrite". The former Smiths frontman did not appear at London's High Court.  

2008 - Mariah Carey: smashed Elvis Presley's US chart record by scoring the 18th number one of her careers with ‘Touch My Body, from her new album E=MC2. Carey had now surpassed Elvis Presley's 17 number ones, The Beatles still held the record with 20 US No.1 hit singles.  

2011 - Adele: broke the record for the longest time at No.1 in the UK album chart by a female solo artist after her second album, 21 spent 10 consecutive weeks at the top of the chart. The previous record was held by Madonna with her first greatest hits record, The Immaculate Collection, in 1990.  

2015 - Bob Burns: the American drummer who was in the original line-up of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd died in a car crash in Georgia when his car struck a mailbox and a tree with the front of the vehicle. Burns was the only occupant of the car and was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash. He appeared on the band's 'Sweet Home Alabama,' 'Gimme Three Steps' and 'Free Bird.'  

1924 - Doris Day: American actress, singer, and animal welfare activist Doris Day. She starred in Alfred Hitchcock's suspense film, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) with James Stewart and sang two songs in the film, 'Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be), which won an Academy Award for Best Original Song and 'We'll Love Again'. She died on 13 May 2019 age 97.  

1928 - Don Gibson: American songwriter and country musician Don Gibson who wrote such country standards as 'Sweet Dreams' and 'I Can't Stop Loving You. Neil Young covered his 'Oh Lonesome Me' on his After The Gold Rush album. Gibson died on 17th November 2003 aged 75.  

1938 - Jeff Barry: songwriter. Wrote 'Tell Laura I Love Her, 'Da Doo Ron Ron', 'Be My Baby', 'Baby I Love You', 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy.'  

1938 - Phillip Wynne: from American rhythm and blues vocal group the Detroit Spinners who had the 1980 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'Working My Way Back To You'. Wynne died on 14th July 1984 after he suffered a heart attack performing at Ivey's nightclub in Oakland, California the previous night.  

1941 - Jan Berry: who with Jan and Dean, had the 1963 US No.1 & UK No.26 single 'Surf City', co-written by The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson. Berry died on 26th March 2004 after being in poor health from the lingering effects of brain damage after a 1966 car crash  

1943 - Richard Manuel: Canadian composer, singer, and multi-instrumentalist, best known as a pianist, lead singer, and occasional drummer of the Band. He joined Ronnie Hawkins's backing group, the Hawks when he was 18. The Band had the 1969 US No.25 single 'Up On Cripple Creek', and the 1970 UK No.16 single 'Rag Mama Rag'. Manuel committed suicide in March 1986 after a gig at the Cheek to Cheek Lounge in Winter Park, Florida.  

1944 - Barry Pritchard: guitar, vocals, from English harmony beat group The Fortunes, who had the 1965 UK No.2 & US No.7 single 'You've Got Your Troubles' and the hits 'Here It Comes Again and 'Storm in a Teacup'. Pritchard died on 11th January 1999.  

1944 - Tony Orlando: singer from American pop music group Dawn who was popular in the 1970s. Their signature hits include 'Candida', 'Knock Three Times', and 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree'  

1946 - Dee Murray: English bass guitarist Dee Murray is best known as a member of Elton John's band. He first appeared with John on the 1970 album Tumbleweed Connection and the milestone albums Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. Murray and drummer Nigel Olsson were also members of the Spencer Davis Group in 1969 and during the Eighties, Murray continued working as a session musician. Murray died on 15 January 1992 after suffering a stroke aged 45.  

1949 - Richard Thompson: English singer, songwriter, and guitarist Richard Thompson was a member of the Fairport Convention and is now a solo artist. Thompson was awarded the Orville H. Gibson Award for the best acoustic guitar player in 1991 and his songwriting has earned him an Ivor Novello Award. Thompson was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2011 New Year Honours for services to music.  

1961 - Eddie Murphy: Golden Globe Award-winning American actor and comedian. A regular cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1980 to 1984. Appeared in the 2006 motion picture musical Dreamgirls. Scored the 1986 US No.3 single, 'Party All The Time.'  

1962 - Simon Raymonde: English musician Simon Raymonde, from Cocteau Twins. The group released the album Heaven or Las Vegas in late 1990 which became the most commercially successful of their many recordings.  

1962 - Mike Ness: American guitarist, vocalist, and chief songwriter for the punk rock band Social Distortion.  

1968 - Sebastian Bach: from American heavy metal band Skid Row. The group achieved commercial success in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with its first two albums Skid Row (1989) and Slave to the Grind (1991) the latter of which reached No.1 on the Billboard chart.  

1968 - Jamie Hewlett: English comic book artist and designer. He is best known for being the co-creator of the comic Tank Girl and co-creator of the virtual band Gorillaz with Blur's Damon Albarn.  

1970 - Matthew Priest: from English power pop rock trio Dodgy who had the 1996 UK No.4 single 'Good Enough'.

1985 - Leona Lewis: British singer, songwriter Leona Lewis, singer, winner of the third UK series of The X Factor who had the 2006 UK No.1 single ‘A Moment Like This. The download single set a world record, by being downloaded over 50,000 times within 30 minutes of being available online.

MOHLovesAlaska

Happy Easter to all of Pandora and the Pandora community. Here is what happened on This Day In History Of Music on this Easter Sunday.

1953 - The Stargazers: were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Broken Wings.' The first record by any British group to reach No.1. Stargazers' member Fred Dachtler is the father of Clark Datchler of 80s group Johnny Hates Jazz.

1956 - Elvis Presley: played the first of two nights in San Diego Arena in San Diego, California. The local Police chief issued a statement saying if Elvis ever returned to the city and performed as he did, he would be arrested for disorderly conduct.

1960 - Elvis Presley: RCA Victor Records announced that it would be released all Pop singles in mono and stereo simultaneously, the first record company to do so. Elvis Presley's single, 'Stuck on You' was RCA's first mono/stereo release.

1964 - The Beatles: held the top five places on the US singles chart, at No. 5 'Please Please Me', No.4 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', No.3, 'Roll Over Beethoven', No.2 'Love Me Do' and at No.1 'Can't Buy Me, Love.' They also had another nine singles on the chart, bringing their total to fourteen singles on the Hot 100.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix: The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Walker Brothers, Engelbert Humperdink, and Cat Stevens played two shows at Bournemouth Winter Gardens, England. The Jimi Hendrix Experience was also the special guest on the first edition of the UK BBC-TV's 'Dee Time', along with Kiki Dee and Cat Stevens.

1970 - Van Morrison: Brinsley Schwarz's promotion company sent 133 UK journalists, by plane to New York to see the band supporting Van Morrison at the Fillmore East, at a cost of £120,000 ($204,000). The event turned into a disaster. The group planned to leave a few days before the show to rehearse but were denied visas on a technicality. They were finally given visas on the morning of the show and arrived hours before the concert. The plane carrying the journalists developed a mechanical fault, delaying the flight and when the journalists arrived In New York 18 hours later, they were all hungover. Brinsley Schwarz gave an underwhelming live performance, resulting in a flood of scathing reviews.

1970 - Crosby Stills Nash & Young: went to No.1 on the US album chart with Deja Vu. The first album which saw Neil Young joining Crosby, Stills, and Nash featured three US Top 40 singles: 'Teach Your Children', 'Our House', and 'Woodstock'.

1976 - The Sex Pistols: played the first night of a residency at the El Paradiso club in Soho, London, England.

1981 - Bucks Fizz: won the Eurovision Song Contest held in Dublin, Ireland with the UK entry 'Making Your Mind Up'.

1982 - Derek and the Dominos: ‘Layla’ was on the UK singles chart. The re-released track originally featured on the Derek and the Dominos, album Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (November 1970). Inspired by Clapton's then unrequited love for Pattie Boyd, the wife of his friend George Harrison, ‘Layla’ is considered one of rock music's definitive love songs, and features an unmistakable guitar figure played by Eric Clapton and Duane Allman.

1987 - Starship: started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Nothin's Gonna Stop Us', taken from the film 'Mannequin', also a No.1 in the UK.

1987 - U2: entered the US album chart at No.7 with The Joshua Tree making it the highest chart new entry in America for seven years.

1996 - Take That: made their final performance on The Ivo Niehe Show on Dutch TV, playing two songs in front of a 250 strong studio audience.

1999 - The Corrs: album Talk On Corners went to No.1 on the UK album chart for the 10th time. They also had the No.2 position with Forgiven, Not Forgotten.'Both albums had spent over a year on the chart. Talk on Corners was the UK's biggest selling album of 1998 and the 9th best-selling album of 1999.

2003 - 50 Cent: became the best-selling artist in the US so far this year when his latest album Get Rich or Die Tryin' sold more than four million copies in two months.

2007 - Metallica: A Swedish couple ran into trouble with authorities after trying to name their baby Metallica. Michael and Karolina Tomaro went to court with the country's National Tax Authority about naming their daughter after the rock band. The six-month-old had been baptized Metallica, but tax officials said the name was "inappropriate". Under Swedish law, both first names and surnames need to win the approval of authorities before they can be used.

2008 - Procol Harum: singer Gary Brooker won back full royalty rights to the band's worldwide hit, ’A Whiter Shade Of Pale’ at London's Court of Appeal. The decision overturned a 2006 ruling that organist Matthew Fisher was entitled to a 40% portion of royalties on the 1967 hit after he argued he had written the song's organ melody. The court ruled there was an 'excessive delay' in the claim being made - nearly 40 years after the song was recorded.

2008 - Beyonce: Beyonce Knowles married Jay-Z at his New York apartment. Coldplay frontman Chris Martin and wife Gwyneth Paltrow and Beyonce's former bandmates in Destiny's Child, Kelly Rowland, and Michelle Williams all attended the private ceremony.

2013 - The Rolling Stones: Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman turned himself into British police after reports emerged suggesting he began a sexual relationship with his second wife, Mandy Smith when she was 14 years old. After a brief meeting, the authorities decided not to pursue charges.

2016 - David Bowie: It was reported that David Bowie had dominated the UK album charts for the first quarter of 2016. Bowie had the most entries to the chart with six albums in the top 40, after fans sought out his music in the wake of his death in January with his final album Blackstar becoming the second best-selling album of the year so far, (behind Adele's 25).

2019 - Liam Gallagher: Pretty Green fashion brand was rescued from administration by the JD Sports Group. It was reported they would keep the flagship store in Manchester open, but 11 other stores and 33 concessions in House of Fraser would close, putting 97 jobs at risk. Pretty Green was founded in 2009 by Gallagher and was named after a song by The Jam.

2020 - Patrick Francfort: 4 April 2020, Patrick Francfort, died from Covid-19 age 64. As a member of The Gibson Brothers, he had success during the disco boom of the late 1970s. Their best-known hit singles included 'Cuba' and 'Que Sera Mi Vida'.

1913 - Muddy Waters: American blues musician Muddy Waters, In the early 1950s, Muddy Waters and his band recorded several blues classics, 'Hoochie Coochie Man', 'I'm Ready' and 'I Just Want to Make Love to You'. The Rolling Stones named themselves after his 1950 song 'Rollin' Stone', his music influenced Eric Clapton's career, Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love', is lyrically based on the Muddy Waters hit 'You Need Love'. Waters died in his sleep from heart failure on 30 April 1983 aged 70.

1939 - Hugh Masekela: South African trumpeter and singer Hugh Masekela who had the 1968 US No.1 single 'Grazing In The Grass'. Masekela has been described as "the father of South African jazz." Masekela died in Johannesburg on 23 January 2018 from prostate cancer, aged 78.

1940 - Sharon Sheeley: American songwriter. Hits include 'Poor Little Fool' a US No.1 for Ricky Nelson in 1958 and the 1959 hit for Eddie Cochran 'Somethin' Else'. Sheeley became Cochran's girlfriend and survived the car crash that killed Cochran in 1960. She died on May 17th, 2002 aged 62.

1941 - Major Lance: Soul singer Major Lance, who had the 1964 US No. 5 & UK No.40 single 'Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um'). He died of heart failure on 9 March 1994.

1948 - Berry Oakley: bassist with, The Allman Brothers Band who released the classic album Eat a Peach in 1972 and had the 1973 US No.12 single 'Ramblin Man'. He was killed in a motorcycle accident on 11th November 1972.

1948 - Pick Withers: drummer, with English rock group Dire Straits who played on their first four albums, which included hit singles 'Sultans of Swing,' 'Romeo and Juliet' and 'Private Investigations'. Withers also played drums on Bob Dylan's 1979 album Slow Train Coming.

1952 - Dave Hill: guitarist with English rock band Slade who scored 17 consecutive top 20 hits and six No.1's on the UK Singles Chart becoming the most successful British group of the 1970s based on sales of singles.

1952 - Gary Moore: Irish guitarist and singer Gary Moore, who was a member of Skid Row and Thin Lizzy. As a solo artist, he had the 1979 UK No.8 single 'Parisian Walkways'. His 1990 album Still Got the Blues featured contributions from Albert King, Albert Collins, and George Harrison. Moore died on 6 February 2011 while on holiday in Spain.

1957 - Graeme Kelling: Scottish musician and the original guitarist with Deacon Blue who had the 1988 UK No.8 single 'Real Gone Kid', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles. Kelling died on 10 June 2004 in Glasgow at the age of 47, after a four-year battle with pancreatic cancer.

1958 - David Roback: American guitarist, songwriter, and producer, David Roback is best known as the founding member of the duo Mazzy Star best known for the song 'Fade into You' which brought the band some success in the mid-1990s and was the group's biggest mainstream hit. Roback died from metastatic cancer on 24 February 2020 age 61.

1962 - Craig Adams: bassist from the English gothic rock band The Mission who scored the 1988 UK No.12 single 'Tower Of Strength'. Adams has also worked with The Cult, Spear of Destiny, The Alarm, and Theatre of Hate.

1963 - David Gavurin: with English alternative rock band The Sundays. Their first album, Reading, Writing and Arithmetic, was released in 1990 and was a UK Top 5 hit along with the single 'Here's Where the Story Ends.

1968 - Mark Yates: guitarist with, Terrorvision had the 1999 UK No.2 single 'Tequila'. Terrorvision were originally known as The Spoilt Bratz.

1972 - Jill Scott: American singer-songwriter Jill Scott. Her 2000 debut, Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1, went platinum, and her fifth album, Woman peaked at No.1 on the US album chart.

1972 - Magnus Sveningsson: bassist with Swedish rock band The Cardigans who had the 1997 UK No.2 single 'Lovefool' which was included in the soundtrack to the 1996 film Romeo + Juliet.

1973 - Kelly Price: seven-time Grammy-nominated American R&B singer and songwriter, formerly on the Def Soul label.

1975 - Phil A. Jimenez: percussion, vocals, from American rock band Wheatus who had the 2001 UK No 2 single 'Teenage Dirtbag' which appeared in the movie Loser.

1978 - Lemar Obika: UK singer, appeared on BBC TV talent show Fame Academy, 2003 UK No.2 single ‘Dance (With You)’.

1980 - Johnny Borrell: guitar, vocals with English indie rock band Razorlight who had in 2006, UK No.1 single ‘America’ and their 2006 UK No.1 self-titled album.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Monday. 

1962 - The Beatles: performed at The Cavern Club in Liverpool as part of a special night presented by the Beatles' fan club. The Beatles wear their black leather outfits for the first half of the performance, for old time's sake, then change into their new suits for the second half of the show.

1967 -The Monkees: fans walked from London's Marble Arch to the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square to protest Davy Jones' planned call-up. Jones was exempted because he was deemed responsible for supporting his father.

1975  - Minnie Riperton: went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Stevie Wonder produced song 'Loving You' (a No.2 hit in the UK). It was the singer's only US chart hit. Riperton died of cancer on 12th July 1979.

1979 - Duran Duran: made their live debut at The Lecture Theatre, Birmingham Polytechnic. The band has since then achieved 14 singles in the top 10 of the UK Singles Chart and 21 in the Billboard Hot 100 and has sold over 100 million records worldwide.

1980 - R.E.M.: played their first-ever gig when they appeared at St Mary's Episcopal Church, Athens, Georgia. The show at this abandoned church was for a friend's birthday party.

1981 - Bob Hite: Canned Heat singer Bob "The Bear" Hite died of a heart attack aged 36. (1970 UK No.2 & US No.26 single 'Let's Work Together). Played at both the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival and the 1969 Woodstock Festival.

1984 - Marvin Gaye: Marvin Gaye's funeral took place at The Forest Lawn Cemetery, Los Angeles; Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Quincy Jones, Berry Gordy, and other Motown singers, writers, and producers, attended the service.

1985 - Michael Jackson: At 3:50 pm GMT, over 5,000 radio stations worldwide aired the charity single by the USA for Africa 'We Are The World'. The single went on to be a No.1 in the US & UK, and most Western territories.

1994 - Kurt Cobain: committed suicide by shooting himself in the head at his home in Seattle. Cobain's body wasn't discovered until April 8, by an electrician who had arrived to install a security system, who initially believed that Cobain was asleep until he saw the shotgun pointing at his chin. A suicide note was found that said, "I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music, along with really writing for too many years now". A high concentration of heroin and traces of Valium were found in Cobain's body. His death was officially ruled as suicide by a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head.

1995 - Jimi Hendrix: Monika Dannerman, the one-time girlfriend of Jimi Hendrix committed suicide, two days after losing a court battle with another of the guitarist's ex-lovers.

1998 - Cozy  Powell: British drummer Cozy Powell (Colin Flooks) was killed when his car smashed into crash barriers on the M4 motorway near Bristol, England. Powell had worked with the Jeff Beck Group, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Brian May, Peter Green, and the ELP spin-off Emerson, Lake, and Powell. Powell, known as one of the most driving drummers in rock, had also had hits as a solo artist, including Dance with the Devil and The Man In Black, and had fronted his own band, Cozy Powell's Hammer.

1998 - The Spice Girls: performed their first-ever live UK concert when they appeared in front of a 9,000 strong audience in Glasgow, Scotland.

2002 - Layne Staley: American singer Layne Staley of Alice in Chains was found dead from a mixture of heroin and cocaine in his home. It was reported that the 6-foot (1.8 m) Staley weighed only 86 pounds (39 kg) when his body was discovered. His body was partially decomposed when he was found. Medical examiners had to identify it by dental records.

2006 - Suge Knight: Marion 'Suge' Knight staved off receivership by seeking bankruptcy protection for himself and his music label, Death Row Records. The record producer had been ordered to pay more than $100m (£57m) to a former associate who said she had helped start the record label in 1989. Lawyers for Mr. Knight said he did not have the money to pay the judgment and was forced to seek federal protection. The label helped launch the careers of rappers such as Snoop Doggy Dogg.

2006 - Gene Pitney: was found dead aged 65 in his bed in a Cardiff hotel. The American singer was on a UK tour and had shown no signs of illness. Pitney helped The Rolling Stones break the American market with his endorsement of the band. Jagger and Richards wrote his hit 'That Girl Belongs to Yesterday which became the Stones duo's first composition to reach the American charts. He scored the 1962 US No.4 single 'Only Love Can Break A Heart'. and 1967 solo UK No.5 & 1989 UK No.1 single with Marc Almond 'Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart', plus over 15 other US & UK Top 40 hits.

2007 - Kiss: Former Kiss guitarist Mark St. John died from an apparent brain hemorrhage at the age of 51. St. John was Kiss's third official guitarist, having replaced Vinnie Vincent in 1984 and appeared on the album 'Animalize'.

2008 - iTunes: Apple's iTunes overtook supermarket group Wal-Mart to become the largest music retailer in the US. Market research firm NPD said iTunes surpassed Wal-Mart in January and February if 12 downloads are considered equal to the sale of one CD album. iTunes had sold more than four billion songs since its launch in 2003.

2011 - Nirvana: A statue in tribute to Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain was unveiled in his hometown of Aberdeen, Washington, The unveiling marked the 17th anniversary of Cobain's death, which occurred in April 5, 1994. The statue designed by local artists Kim and Lora Malakoff was of his signature Fender Jag-Stang guitar. The concrete guitar was eight and a half feet tall and also featured a ribbon with lyrics written on it from Nirvana's 'On a Plain'. It reads: "One more special message to go and then I'm done and I can go home."

2012 - Jim Marshall: who made rock ’n’ roll rawer and noisier by inventing the Marshall amplifier died at a hospice in London, aged 88. His amplifiers and speakers known as 'Marshall stacks' were used by Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and almost every other major rock guitarist in the ’60s and ’70s and by the next generation of guitarists as well, including Kurt Cobain, Eddie Van Halen, and Slash.

2013 - Mark Knopfler: canceled two shows in Russia in protest over what he called the country's "crackdown" on human rights groups. The former Dire Straits frontman pulled out of the gigs in June after Russian authorities searched the offices of organizations including Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International. Critics said the raids were an attempt to crush government dissent.

2016 - Drake: Canadian hip hop artist Drake released the single 'One Dance'. The track reached No.1 in ten countries including the US and topped the UK Singles Chart for 15 consecutive weeks, making it the joint-second longest consecutive No.1 in the country with Scottish band Wet Wet Wet's cover of 'Love Is All Around'. The track also became the most played song on streaming media service Spotify, with over 950 million individual streams.

2019 - Shawn Smith: a long-time singer-songwriter on the Seattle music scene died age 53 due to complications from diabetes. He performed with the band's Brad, Pigeonhead, and Satchel, among others. In a strange coincidence, fellow Seattle luminaries Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) died on the same date in 1994 and 2002, respectively.

1928 - Tony Williams: from American vocal group The Platters who had the 1959 UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. Williams died on 14th August 1992. The group had 40 charting singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart between 1955 and 1967.

1929 - Joe Meek: English record producer, sound engineer, and songwriter who pioneered the space age and experimental pop music. He produced 'Telstar' the 1962 UK and US No.1 single by The Tornadoes, the first British act to have a No.1 in the US. Meek also produced 'Johnny Remember Me (John Leyton, 1961), 'Just Like Eddie' (Heinz, 1963), and 'Have I the Right?' (the Honeycombs, 1964). On 3 February 1967 Meek killed his landlady Violet Shenton and then shot himself dead with a single-barrelled shotgun.

1935 - Peter Grant: manager of Led Zeppelin. Died from a heart attack on 21st Nov 1995 aged 60. Known as being one of the shrewdest and most ruthless managers in rock history, Grant secured 90% of the concert gate money and intimidated record store owners who dealt in bootlegs. The former wrestler also worked as a film extra and bodyguard. During the early 60s, Grant worked as a tour manager for Bo Diddley, The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and The Animals.

1939 - Ronald White: American musician Ronald White, singer with The Miracles, who had the 1970 UK & US No.1 single with Smokey Robinson, 'The Tears Of A Clown'. White was also known for bringing Stevie Wonder to the attention of Motown Records and writing several hit singles for the Miracles and other artists including The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, and Mary Wells. White died on 26 August 1995 age 56.

1941 - Dave Swarbrick: English folk musician and singer-songwriter. His work for the group Fairport Convention from 1969 has been credited with leading them to produce their seminal album Liege & Lief (1969) which initiated the electric folk movement. Swarbrick died on 3rd June 2016.

1942 - Alan Clarke: a singer with British pop/rock group The Hollies who have scored over 30 top 40 hits, including 'Just One Look', 'Bus Stop', 'Carrie Anne', and later 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother' and 'The Air That I Breathe. Clarke retired from performing in 1999.

1944 - Nicholas Caldwell: a singer with American group The Whispers who had the 1980 UK No.2 & US No.19 single 'And The Beat Goes On. He died on January 5, 2016.

1948 - Dave Holland: English rock drummer Dave Holland best remembered for his stints with Trapeze from 1969 to 1979 and Judas Priest from 1979 to 1989. He died in a hospital in Spain on 16 January 2018 aged 69.

1950 - Agnetha Faltskog: Swedish musician, singer, songwriter Agnetha Faltskog from ABBA. Their first UK hit was the 1974 No.1 'Waterloo', followed by eight other UK No.1 singles and 9 UK No.1 albums and they scored the 1977 US No.1 single 'Dancing Queen'. Her self-penned debut single 'Jag var så kär' was released in 1967, and topped the Swedish Chart in 1968 which led to a successful solo career before joining ABBA.

1951 - Everton Morton: from British group The Beat who had a string of UK hit singles in the 80s, including 'Mirror in the Bathroom,' 'Can't Get Used to Losing You' and 'Hands Off, She's Mine'.

1954 - Stan Ridgeway: American multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter Stan Ridgeway scored the 1986 UK No.4 single 'Camouflage' and was a founding member of the band Wall of Voodoo.

1961 - Jacob Slichter: drummer, with Semisonic who had hits with ‘Secret Smile’, ‘Closing Time’ and ‘Chemistry’.

1965 - Mike McCready: guitarist, and one of the founding members of Pearl Jam who had the 1992 UK No.15 single Jeremy, the 1993 US No.1 and UK No.2 album Vs and the 1994 US No.1 and UK No.4 album Vitalogy. McCready also has the side project bands Temple of the Dog, Mad Season, and The Rockfords.

1968 - Paula Cole: American singer-songwriter Paula Cole, who scored the 1997 UK No.15 single, 'Where Have All The Cowboys Gone'. Her song 'I Don't Want to Wait' was used as the theme song of the television show Dawson's Creek.

1973 - Pharrell Williams: one half of the writing duo, The Neptunes (with Chad Hugo). Williams has produced numerous No.1 hits for Mystikal, Jay-Z, NSYNC, Britney Spears, Ed Sheeran, and Nelly. He had the 2003 US No.1 album ‘The Neptunes Present Clones’. Williams featured on 2013 worldwide hit 'Blurred Lines' with Robin Thicke and his own 2013 single 'Happy' from the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack album was the most successful song of 2014, reaching No.1 in over 20 countries.

1975 - Juicy J: American rapper, songwriter, and record producer, Juicy J, (Jordan Michael Houston), founding member of the Southern hip hop group Three 6 Mafia. He featured on the 2014 US Katy Perry No.1 hit 'Dark Horse'.

1981 - Mariqueen Maandig: Filipino American musician and singer-songwriter Mariqueen Maandig, vocalist for How to Destroy Angels, (with her husband Trent Reznor).

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Tuesday. 

1965 - The Beach Boys: went into the United Western Recorders recording studio complex in Hollywood to start work on a new Brian Wilson and Mike Love song 'California Girls.' They recorded 44 takes of the backing track until Brian Wilson was satisfied with the results.

1966 - The Beatles: The first session of what would become The Beatles album Revolver started in the evening at Abbey Road studios London, with the recording of the basic track of a new John Lennon song 'Tomorrow Never Knows.'

1967 - The Beatles: The first master tape of The Beatles' new album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was made. The song order on side one is different from the final product at this point, the last five songs on that side being initially ordered as follows: ‘Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite’, ‘Fixing a Hole’, ‘Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds’, ‘Getting Better, and ‘She's Leaving Home. The Beatles had specified that there were to be no gaps between songs - a unique idea at the time.

1968 - Cliff Richard: sang 'Congratulations' the UK entry in the Eurovision Song Contest held at the Royal Albert Hall London, winning second place behind the entry from Spain.

1968 - Syd Barrett: Pink Floyd announced founder Syd Barrett had officially left the group. Barrett was suffering from psychiatric disorders compounded by drug use.

1968 - Simon and Garfunkel: went to No.1 on the US album chart with the soundtrack of Mike Nichols' movie The Graduate. The film boosted the profile of the folk-rock duo and on the strength of the hit single 'Mrs. Robinson', the soundtrack album rose to the top of the charts.

1971 - The Rolling Stones: launched their own record label, Rolling Stones Records, with Atlantic Records, (after their recording contract with Decca Records expired). The first album to be released was Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka in 1971, and is widely credited with being the first world music LP.

1973 - David Bowie: released 'Drive-In Saturday' which became a Top 3 UK hit. The lyrics name-checked Mick Jagger 'When people stared in Jagger's eyes and scored', the model Twiggy 'She'd sigh like Twig the wonder kid', and Carl Jung 'Jung the foreman prayed at work'.

1974 - Black Sabbath: The California Jam 1 festival took place in Ontario, California, featuring the Eagles, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Earth, Wind & Fire, ELP, Black Oak Arkansas, and Seals & Croft. Over 200,000 fans attended.

1979 - Rod Stewart: married actor George Hamilton's ex-wife Alana Hamilton in Beverly Hills, California. The couple had a daughter, Kimberly, and a son, Sean. Alana and Rod Stewart divorced in 1984.

1985 - Gilbert O'Sullivan: UK singer, songwriter Gilbert O'Sullivan won a lawsuit against his manager Gordon Mills for unpaid royalties and was awarded $2 million.

1987 - Pink Floyd: Roger Waters' lawyers issued a statement that Roger believed himself to be the creative driving force behind Pink Floyd and therefore he would contest the use of the name by anyone else and any former members of Pink Floyd.

1998 - Wendy O Williams: former singer of The Plasmatics died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Williams was known for her wild stage theatrics which included blowing up equipment, near nudity, and chain-sawing guitars. In January 1981 police in Milwaukee arrested her for simulating sex on stage, later that same year in Cleveland, Ohio Williams was acquitted of an obscenity charge for simulating sex on stage wearing only shaving cream.

1998 - Tammy Wynette: American country singer Tammy Wynette died aged 55. She scored 12 hit singles including 'Stand By Your Man', and sold over 30 million records worldwide, married five times, and once filed for bankruptcy. Known as the first lady of country music. Wynette had the 1991 hit with The KLF 'Justified and Ancient' which became a No. 1 hit in eighteen countries.

1999 - Johnny Cash: An all-star tribute to the singer, songwriter Johnny Cash took place in New York City with Sheryl Crow, Chris Isaak, and U2 all performing for the TV special.

2000 - Joni Mitchell: An all-star tribute to Joni Mitchell was held at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City featuring performances by Elton John, Bryan Adams, Shawn Colvin, James Taylor, Cyndi Lauper, Richard Thompson, k.d. Lang, and Mary Chapin Carpenter.

2000 - Steve Strange: Eighties pop star Steve Strange lead singer of Visage - was arrested after stealing a £10.99 Teletubbies doll in Bridgend, South Wales. He was given a suspended jail sentence after being caught on a shoplifting spree stealing cosmetics and clothes from High Street stores. Strange was already on bail for stealing a £15 ladies' jacket from Marks and Spencer in Cardiff when he was arrested.

2004 - Niki Sullivan: Guitarist and singer Niki Sullivan, died suddenly of a heart attack, at his home in Independence, Missouri aged 66. Sullivan was one of the three original members of Buddy Holly's backing group, The Crickets. He co-wrote a number of his hit songs and sang backup vocals on 27 of the 32 songs Buddy recorded over his brief career.

2006 - Eminem: filed for divorce from his wife Kim less than three months after the couple re-married. Eminem first married his high school sweetheart Kimberly Scott in 1999. He fantasized about her death in his 2000 hit 'Kim' and their first marriage ended the following year. The couple remarried on 14 January 2006. Eminem was seeking joint custody of their 10-year-old daughter Hailie Jade Scott.

2009 - PRS for Music: announced that the money made by UK artists overseas increased by £20m ($29.45) in 2008, with British talent earning almost £140m ($206.23) in 2008. It said international tours by UK acts including The Police, Coldplay, Elton John, and Iron Maiden had boosted income. Four of the top 10 bestselling albums globally were by British artists, Coldplay's Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends was the bestselling album, with 6.8 million copies sold, while Welsh singer-songwriter Duffy was fourth with her debut album Rockferry, Leona Lewis and Amy Winehouse were sixth and seventh respectively.

2016 - Merle Haggard: American singer, songwriter, guitarist, and fiddler, Merle Haggard died of complications from pneumonia at his home in Palo Cedro, California. Along with Buck Owens, Haggard and his band the Strangers helped create the Bakersfield sound, which is characterized by the twang of Fender Telecaster and the unique mix with the traditional country steel guitar sound. Haggard scored over 10 US Country No.1 albums during his career.

2019 - Jim Glaser: American country musician Jim Glaser died at age 81. With The Glaser Brothers, they charted nine singles on the Billboard Hot Country Singles charts and became members of the Grand Ole Opry in the 1960s.

1937 - Merle Haggard: American singer, songwriter, guitarist, and fiddler. Along with Buck Owens, Haggard and his band the Strangers helped create the Bakersfield sound, which is characterized by the twang of Fender Telecaster and the unique mix with the traditional country steel guitar sound. Haggard scored over 10 US Country No.1 albums during his career. He died on 6 April 2016 of complications from pneumonia at his home in Palo Cedro, California.

1939 - Beverly Watkins: American blues guitarist Beverly Watkins. She worked with artists like James Brown, B.B. King, and Ray Charles. Watkins died after a heart attack on 1 October 2019 at the age of 80.

1941 - Louis Shelton: American session guitarist and producer Louis Shelton who was a member of The Wrecking Crew. He played on The Monkees "Last Train to Clarksville", The Jackson 5's "I Want You Back", as well as recordings by Marvin Gaye, Simon And Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Neil Diamond, John Lennon, Barbra Streisand, The Carpenters, and many others. He played the guitar solo on Lionel Richie's hit "Hello" and Boz Scaggs's "Lowdown".

1944 - John Stax: English musician, bass, harmonica, backing vocals with the Pretty Things. He played on all of their charting singles, which included 'Rosalyn', (covered by David Bowie on his Pinups album) 'Don't Bring Me Down', 'Road Runner', and 'Cry to Me. They took their name from Willie Dixon's 1955 song 'Pretty Thing'.

1947 - Tony Conner: Hot Chocolate who had the 1975 US No.3 single 'You Sexy Thing' the 1977 UK No.1 single 'So You Win Again' and over 25 other Top 40 hits. Hot Chocolate started their recording career making a reggae version of John Lennon's 'Give Peace a Chance', and was contacted by Apple Records, saying that Lennon liked this version, and the group was subsequently signed to Apple Records.

1951 - Ralph Cooper: drummer for the Australian soft rock band Air Supply who scored the 1980 UK No.11 single 'All Out Of Love' and the 1981 US No.1 single 'The One That You Love'.

1953 - Christopher Franke: keyboards from German electronic music band Tangerine Dream who are considered a pioneering act in electronic music.

1965 - Frank Black: (born Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV) guitarist, singer, with American alternative rock band Pixies, who released the 1988 album Surfer Rosa. They influenced bands such as Nirvana, Radiohead, Bush, Blur, and Weezer. Formed Frank Black and the Catholics in 1993, Pixies reformed in 2004. Black has released over 10 solo albums.

1978 - Myleene Klass: British singer, pianist, and model, Myleene Klass from Hear'Say who had the 2001 UK No.1 single 'Pure And Simple. More recently, Klass is known as a television and radio presenter.

1978 - Robert Glasper: American singer, pianist, and record producer Robert Glasper. His 2012 album Black Radio won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Album at the 55th Grammy Awards.

MOHLovesAlaska

Forgive me for such a late post. But let us see what happened on This Day In History Of Music. 

1962 - The Beatles: played at the Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool without George Harrison who was ill. This was the group's last performance before leaving for their third extended engagement in Hamburg, West Germany.

1962 - Brian Jones: While at Ealing Jazz Club, in Ealing, West London, Mick Jagger, and Keith Richards met Brian Jones for the first time. Jones was calling himself Elmo Lewis and was playing guitar with singer Paul Jones, who was performing under his real name of P. P. Pond.

1966 - The Beatles: Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded overdubs on the new John Lennon song 'Tomorrow Never Knows' and the new Paul McCartney song 'Got to Get You Into My Life' for the forthcoming Revolver album.

1970 - Norman Greenbaum: On this week's US Top 5 singles chart; No.5, 'Bridge Over Trouble Water' by Simon and Garfunkel, No.4, 'Spirit In The Sky', Norman Greenbaum', No.3, 'Instant Karma!' by John Lennon, No.2, 'ABC' The Jackson 5 and at No.1, 'Let It Be, The Beatles.

1978 - The Police: released 'Roxanne' as the first single from their debut album Outlandos d'Amour. The song was written from the point of view of a man who falls in love with a prostitute. The title came from the name of the character in the play Cyrano de Bergerac, which Sting saw on an old poster which was hanging in a hotel foyer in Paris, France where the group had been staying. The song failed to chart but when re-released in 1979, peaked at No.12 on the UK Singles Chart.

1979 - Siouxsie and the Banshees: played a charity gig for MENCAP, but after crowd trouble was later faced with a £2,000 bill for seat damage.

1981 - Bruce Springsteen: and the E Street Band kicked off their first full-scale tour in Hamburg, Germany. This was Springsteen's first tour outside North America, which would take in 10 countries.

1981 - Kit Lambert: Producer and manager, Kit Lambert died of a cerebral hemorrhage after falling down a flight of stairs at his mother's home in London, England. Lambert managed The Who from 1964-1967 and produced the 'Tommy' album. Also produced Arthur Brown's 1968 hit 'Fire'.

1985 - Wham!: became the first western pop group to perform live in China, when they played at the worker's gymnasium in Beijing.

1988 - Alice Cooper: During a European tour, Alice Cooper accidentally hung himself in a rehearsal when a safety rope snapped; he dangled for several seconds before a roadie saved him.

1990 - Tommy Lee: Motley Crue's Tommy Lee was injured when performing a stunt during a concert, falling 20 feet from a lighting rig.

1994 - Lee Brilleaux: singer, harmonica player, and founding member of Dr. Feelgood died of throat cancer aged 41. They had the 1979 UK No.9 single 'Milk And Alcohol' and the 1976 UK No.1 live album, Stupidity. In 1976, Brilleaux helped fund Stiff Records one of the driving forces of the 'New Wave' of the mid-to-late-1970s, with a loan of £400.

1994 - Courtney Love: was arrested on drugs and theft charges after a reported overdose. At this time, Love was unaware that her husband Kurt Cobain was dead at their home, (his body wasn't discovered until April 8, by an electrician who had arrived to install a security system at their house).

1994 - Percy Sledge: US soul singer Percy Sledge pleaded guilty to tax evasion after he failed to report $260,000 in income earned between 1987 and 1989. He was sentenced to serve six months in a halfway house.

1998 - George Michael: was arrested at The Will Rogers Memorial Park for committing a sex act in a public toilet. He was arrested by undercover Beverly Hills police officer Marcelo Rodriguez. Michael later said; 'I was followed into the restroom and this cop - well, I didn't know he was a cop at the time obviously started playing this game. I think it's called - I'll show you mine, you show me yours, and then when you show me yours, I'm gonna nick you!' The singer was later fined $810 (£500) after being convicted of a lewd act.

2000 - Heinz: bass player and singer with The Tornadoes died aged 57. The group had the Joe Meek produced 1962 UK & US No.1 single 'Telstar', making them the first UK group to score a US No.1 single. Heinz had the 1963 solo hit 'Just Like Eddie', a tribute to Eddie Cochran, (which featured future Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore).

2001 - Paul McCartney: bought the four-bedroom Beverly Hills home of Courtney Love for $3.995m. The gated 1930s house had its own swimming pool and 1.5 acres of land.

2002 - Gareth Gates: UK Pop Idol runner-up Gareth Gates was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'Unchained Melody.' Making Gates the seventh act to have a Top 40 hit with the song. Jennifer Lopez was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ain't It Funny.' And Celine Dion had the UK & US No.1 album 'A New Day Has Come.'

2003 - Avril Lavigne: dominated Canada's national music awards the Junos, winning four prizes including best single, album, and new artist. Shania Twain who hosted the show won three awards. The best group went to Sum 41.

2008 - Feist: won five prizes, including album of the year at the Junos, Canada's top music awards. The Canadian singer-songwriter won single of the year for '1234', album and pop album for The Reminder, as well as artist and songwriter of the year.

2013 - Andy Johns: the veteran producer and engineer died at the age of 61. He worked on many classic albums including The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street (1972), Television's Marquee Moon (1977), and a series of albums by Led Zeppelin during the 1970s. His sound is exemplified by Free's album Highway, which he engineered and produced.

2015 - Don McLean: The original manuscript of Don McLean's 'American Pie' sold for $1.2m (£806,000) at a New York auction. The 16-page draft had been expected to fetch as much as $1.5m (£1m) at the Christie's sale. McLean said writing the song was 'a mystical trip into his past. The repeatedly mentioned phrase 'the day the music died' refers to the plane crash in 1959 which killed early rock and roll performers Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens.

2016 - Jimmie Van Zant: American singer, songwriter, and guitarist Jimmie Van Zant died in a hospice in Florida after several years of treatment for liver cancer. He began playing guitar and piano as a child, mentored by his cousin Ronnie Van Zant, but largely gave up music until the 1977 plane crash in which Ronnie, the founder and lead singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd, was killed. He then took up a career playing Southern rock music.

2016 - Bruce Springsteen: canceled a concert in North Carolina, joining business groups in condemning a state law that rolled back protections for gay and transgender people. In a statement, Springsteen said, "Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry which is happening as I write is one of them."

2020 - John Prine: US folk and country singer John Prine died aged 73 due to complications from Covid-19. He released his debut album in 1971 and put out 19 studio albums in all. While wider mainstream success eluded him for years, he earned a sizeable following, including some of the 20th century’s greatest songwriters. Bob Dylan said in 2009: “Prine’s stuff is pure Proustian existentialism. Midwestern mind trips to the nth degree. And he writes beautiful songs.”

2020 - Steve Farmer: American guitarist, composer, and lyricist Steve Farmer died aged 71. He is best known for his composition with Ted Nugent in 1968, 'Journey to the Center of the Mind', performed by their group The Amboy Dukes.

1915 - Billie Holiday: American jazz musician and singer-songwriter Billie Holiday, (Elinore Harris), the greatest female jazz singer of all time. Holiday released over 100 records and worked with Count Basie and Duke Ellington. During her troubled life, she was arrested numerous times for drug possession. Lady Sings the Blues, a film about her life, starring Diana Ross, was released in 1972. Holiday died on 17th July 1959 from liver failure, aged 44.

1937 - Charlie Thomas: from American doo-wop and R&B vocal group The Drifters who had the 1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me' and over 12 other chart hits.

1938 - Spencer Dryden: American musician best known as the drummer for Jefferson Airplane and New Riders of the Purple Sage. With Jefferson Airplane he had the 1967 US No.18 single 'White Rabbit'. Dryden died of cancer on 10th January 2005.

1943 - Alan Buck: from English 1960s pop group The Four Pennies who had the 1964 UK No.1 single 'Juliet'.

1943 - Mick Abrahams: English musician Mick Abrahams, guitarist with Blodwyn Pig and the original guitarist for Jethro Tull and the Mick Abrahams Band.

1947 - Florian Schneider- Esleben: German musician Florian Schneider, best known as one of the founding members and leaders of the electronic band Kraftwerk that had successful albums such as Autobahn (1974), Trans-Europe Express (1977), The Man-Machine (1978), and Computer World (1981). David Bowie titled his 'Heroes' instrumental track 'V-2 Schneider' after Schneider and was heavily influenced by Kraftwerk's sound during his 'Berlin period' in the late 70s. Schneider died on 6 May 2020 age 73.

1947 - Patricia Bennett: from American all-girl group The Chiffons who had the 1963 US No.1 single 'He's So Fine', and the 1972 UK No.4 single 'Sweet Talking Guy, (first released in 1966).

1948 - Carol Douglas: from African-American girl group The Chantels, who had the 1958 top 20 hits 'Maybe' and the 1961 hit 'Look In My Eyes'.

1948 - Dallas Taylor: American session drummer Dallas Taylor. He is best known as the drummer with Crosby, Stills & Nash as well as appearing on Stephen Stills' eponymous first solo album in 1970. Taylor was the drummer for Stills' group Manassas in 1972 and 1973. In 1970, Dallas sat in with The Doors accompanying John Densmore on drums. Jim Morrison acknowledges him on The Doors Live in New York album. He died of complications from viral pneumonia and kidney disease on 18 January 2015 aged 66.

1949 - John Oates: American rock, R&B, and soul guitarist, singer, songwriter John Oates who with Hall and Oates had the 1982 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Maneater', plus five other US No.1 hit singles. Hall and Oates have sold an estimated 40 million records, making them the third-bestselling music duo of all time.

1950 - Steve Ellis: English rock and pop singer Steve Ellis from Love Affair who had the 1968 UK No.1 single 'Everlasting Love'. He was later a member of the rock band Widowmaker.

1951 - Janis Ian: American singer-songwriter Janis Ian had the 1975 US No.3 single 'At Seventeen' and the 1975 US No.1 album Between The Lines.

1952 - Bruce Gary: American musician Bruce Gary was best known as the drummer for The Knack. Their first single, 'My Sharona' was an international No.1 hit in 1979. Their album Get the Knack became one of the most successful debuts in history, selling over one million copies in less than two months and spending five weeks at No.1 on the Billboard album chart.

1960 - Simon Climie: English songwriter, producer Simon Climie, the former lead singer of the UK duo Climie Fisher who had the 1988 UK No.2 single, 'Love Changes Everything. Climie has since had his songs recorded by George Michael and Aretha Franklin, Pat Benatar, Smokey Robinson, and Jeff Beck and has worked with Eric Clapton on many of his albums.

1979 - Duncan James: a singer with English boyband, Blue who had the 2002 UK No.1 single 'If You Come Back. The group also worked alongside artists such as Stevie Wonder, Elton John, and Lil' Kim.

1991 - Anne-Marie: British singer and songwriter Anne-Marie. She scored the 2016 UK No.1 single 'Rockabye', with Clean Bandit featuring Sean Paul.

Until sometime tomorrow. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos