cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

This Day In Music History for this Friday.

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Bill Haley
5,000 fans greeted Bill Haley when he arrived from New York on the liner Queen Elizabeth at Southampton, for his debut UK concert tour. Haley was the first American rock artist to tour the UK.

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles played two shows, one at The Cavern Club at lunchtime and in the evening at the Kingsway Club in Southport. This was the first time Ringo Starr appeared live with the group after drummer Pete Best became ill.

1962 - Ray Charles
The first days recording sessions for Ray Charles’ Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music took place at Capitol Studios in New York City. Regarded by many critics as Charles's best studio album, the albums lead single, ‘I Can't Stop Loving You’, became a huge hit on country music radio stations and the record has now shipped over 500,000 copies in the United States alone.

1966 - Petula Clark
Petula Clark had her second No.1 in the US singles chart with 'My Love', making her the first British female to have two US No.1 hits. 'My Love' became a No. 4 in the UK.

1967 - The Rolling Stones
The News Of The World reported that Mick Jagger had taken LSD at the Moody Blues' home in the UK. Jagger sued the paper for libel in an on-going feud between the News Of The World and The Rolling Stones.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles filmed part of the promo clip for 'Penny Lane' around the Royal Theatre, Stratford, London and walking up and down Angel Lane in London. Together with the video for 'Strawberry Fields Forever', this was one of the first examples of what later became known as a music video.

1969 - Move
The Move were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Blackberry Way', the group's only UK No.1 and the band's most successful single.

1970 - David Bowie
David Bowie recorded four songs at the BBC Paris Cinema, London, for the John Peel Sunday Concert radio show. This was guitarists Mick Ronson  first appearance with Bowie who went on to work with Bowie as one of the Spiders from Mars.

1971 - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath started recording what would be their third album, 'Master Of Reality' at Island Studios in London, England. Released in July of this year, it is sometimes noted as the first stoner rock album. Guitarist Tony Iommi, decided to down tune his guitar down three semi-tones, Geezer Butler also down tuned his bass guitar to match Iommi. The result was a noticeably 'darker' sound that almost two decades later would prove hugely influential on at least three of the biggest grunge acts, namely Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, and Nirvana.

1972 - Paul Simon
Paul Simon released his first new song without Art Garfunkel, 'Mother and Child Reunion', which peaked at No.4 in the US. Simon got the idea for the song's title from a chicken-and-egg dish called Mother and Child Reunion that he saw on a Chinese restaurant's menu.

1972 - T Rex
T Rex were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Telegram Sam', the group's third UK No.1 which was taken from their album The Slider. The song is also known for bringing the term "main man" into popular culture.

1976 - Rudy Pompilli
American saxophonist Rudy Pompilli died of lung cancer aged 52. Although not a smoker himself, it is believed he contracted the disease through second hand smoke. With Bill Haley and his Comets, he had the 1955 UK & US No.1 single with 'Rock Around the Clock'. Pompilli released one solo album, Rudy's Rock: The Sax That Changed the World.

1983 - Def Leppard
Def Leppard's album 'Pyromania', started a 92 week run on the US charts, it never reached No.1 but sold over 6 million copies in the US alone.

1998 - Tim Kelly
American guitarist Tim Kelly from Slaughter was involved in a fatal car accident while traveling on Highway 96 in Arizona. Kelly's vehicle was hit head on when an 18 wheeler crossed the middle line. Kelly released four studio albums with Slaughter and two live albums.

2003 - Courtney Love
Courtney Love blamed her bad language for the alleged air rage incident that led to her arrest at London's Heathrow Airport. As she left Heathrow's police station the singer said: "I cussed at a lady-my daughter always said I had a potty mouth." When asked what it had been like inside the police station, the singer said: "It was fine. They were wonderful in there. It was like being on Prime Suspect."

2007 - Phil Spector
Producer Phil Spector won $900,000 (£459,000) after settling an embezzlement claim. Spector said former assistant Michelle Blaine removed $425,000 (£216,000) from his pension and did not repay a $635,000 (£324,000) loan. Ms. Blaine claimed the loan was a gift, and the pension funds were for a film aimed at improving Spector's image. As part of the settlement, she dropped a counter-claim of sexual harassment.

2008 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse was questioned by police in connection with a video apparently showing her smoking a crack-cocaine pipe. The singer, who was not arrested, was interviewed under caution after the video was posted online by the Sun newspaper.

2012 - Al De Lory
American record producer and session musician Al De Lory died aged 82. In the early Sixties De Lory played keyboards for various Phil Spector productions, and The Beach Boys, Glen Campbell including John Hartford's ‘Gentle on My Mind’, Jimmy Webb's ‘By the Time I Get to Phoenix’, ‘Wichita Lineman’ and ‘Galveston’. He was also a member of the Los Angeles session musicians known as The Wrecking Crew. As a bandleader he had his own hit in 1970 with an instrumental version of the ‘Song from M*A*S*H’.

2013 - Paul Tanner
American musician Paul Tanner died of pneumonia at the age of 95. He was a member of the Glenn Miller Orchestra and later developed and played the Electro-Theremin, an electronic musical instrument that mimics the sound of the Theremin. He can be heard performing on the opening title theme music of the 1963-66 CBS-TV comedy series My Favorite Martian. His Theremin playing is also featured on several recordings by The Beach Boys, most notably on 'Good Vibrations', 'Wild Honey', and 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times'.

2015 - INXS
INXS guitarist Tim Farriss said he may never play the guitar properly again after severing his finger in a boating accident. Farriss caught his left hand while operating a winch on his boat in Sydney, severing his ring finger. He had undergone surgery twice to try to reattach the finger but had been left with permanent hand damage.

2016 - Johnny Cash
A new species of black tarantula that lives near Folsom Prison, California, was named after Johnny Cash. Aphonopelma johnnycashi was among 14 new tarantula species from the southern US which were described by biologists in the journal ZooKeys.

End of post 1 of 2. 
MOHLovesAlaska

Born On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1929 - Hal Blaine
Hal Blaine, American drummer and session musician. He is most known for his work with the Wrecking Crew in California. Blaine played on numerous hits by Elvis Presley, John Denver, the Ronettes, Simon and Garfunkel, the Carpenters, The Beach Boys, Nancy Sinatra, and the 5th Dimension. Blaine has played on 40 No.1 hits, over 150 top ten hits and has recorded, by his own admission, on over 35,000 pieces of music over four decades of work. Blaine died of natural causes on 11 March 2019 at his home in Palm Desert, California age 90.

1935 - Alex Harvey
Scottish rock and blues musician Alex Harvey with the Sensational Alex Harvey Band who had the 1975 UK No.7 single 'Delilah, and the 1975 album 'Next'. During the 60s he was the leader of Alex Harvey's Big Soul Band. Harvey died of heart failure on February 4th 1982.

1941 - Barrett Strong
Barrett Strong, US songwriter who was the first artist to record a hit for Motown records. He wrote many other Motown hits with Norman Whitfield including, 'Money', 'War', 'Ball Of Confusion', and 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone'.

1942 - Corey Wells
Corey Wells, vocals, with American group Three Dog Night who had the 1970 UK No.3 & US No.1 single 'Mama Told Me Not To Come'.

1943 - Chuck Winfield
Chuck Winfield, trumpet, from jazz-rock American music group Blood Sweat & Tears. They scored the 1969 US No.2 single 'Spinning Wheel', and the 1969 US No.12 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy'. They had a US No.1 with their second album Blood, Sweat & Tears in 1968.

1944 - Al Kooper
American songwriter, record producer and musician Al Kooper, known for organizing Blood, Sweat & Tears (although he did not stay with the group long enough to share its popularity). His first professional work was as a 14-year-old guitarist in the The Royal Teens, who in 1958 had the US No.3 single 'Shorts Shorts'. As a member of Blood Sweat & Tears, he had the 1969 US No.12 & UK No.35 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy'. Kooper played organ on Bob Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone' as well as playing on hundreds of records, including ones by the Rolling Stones, B. B. King, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Alice Cooper, and Cream.

1944 - J.R. Cobb
J.R. Cobb, from American southern rock band Atlanta Rhythm Section who had the 1977 US No.7 single 'So in to You'.

1948 - David Denny
David Denny, guitarist with the Steve Miller Band who had the 1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker'.

1948 - Nigel Tufnell
Nigel Tufnell, guitarist with the parody heavy metal band Spinal Tap, who made the 1984 film 'This Is Spinal Tap'.

1960 - Paul Jones
Paul Jones, bassist with alternative rock band from Wales Catatonia who had the 1998 UK No.3 single 'Mulder And Scully'.

1964 - Duff McKagan
Duff McKagan, bassist with Guns N’ Roses who had the 1998 US No.1 & 1989 UK No.6 single 'Sweet Child o' Mine'. He is also a member of Velvet Revolver who had the 2004 US No.1 & UK No.11 album Contraband.

1968 - Chris Barron
Chris Barron, singer with American group The Spin Doctors who had the 1993 UK No.3 & US No.7 single 'Two Princess' and the hit 'Little Miss Can't Be Wrong'.

1969 - Bobby Brown
American singer, songwriter Bobby Brown, who was a member of boy group New Edition who had the 1983 UK No.1 & US No.46 single 'Candy Girl'. As a solo artist he had the 1988 UK No.6 & 1989 US No.1 single 'My Prerogative'. Brown married Whitney Houston 18th July 1992.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1958 - George Harrison
George Harrison joined Liverpool group The Quarrymen. The group who were named after Lennon's school featured John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Len Garry, Eric Griffiths and John Lowe.

1960 - Jesse Belvin
27-year-old Jesse Belvin, who scored a 1956 hit with 'Goodnight, My Love', was killed in a car accident in Hope, Arkansas. His wife and the car's driver also died of their injuries. The three were trying to make a fast get-a-way from the first ever mixed race audience concert in the town of Little Rock, after threats had been made against Belvin's life.

1965 - The Righteous Brothers
The Righteous Brothers started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Phil Spector produced 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'. The song was also No.1 in the UK for the duo (who were not related in any way).

1965 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones second album Rolling Stones No.2 started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK charts. The album followed its predecessor's tendency to largely feature R&B covers. However, it did contain three compositions from the still-developing Mick Jagger - Keith Richards songwriting team.

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd were photographed for the weekly British girls magazine Jackie. The magazine was the best-selling teen magazine in Britain for ten years. The best-ever selling issue was the 1972 special edition to coincide with the UK tour of American singer David Cassidy.

1971 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin announced a small UK club tour which would see the group playing Universities and small venues with ticket prices at 12 shillings (60p). Zeppelin manager Peter Grant said 'We decided to do the clubs and forget about the bread and the big concert halls'.

1981 - Hugo Montenegro
Composer Hugo Montenegro died in California. Had the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'The Good The Bad And The Ugly' from the soundtrack to the Clint Eastwood spaghetti western film. Worked for RCA records, producing a series of albums and soundtracks and television themes, including two volumes of Music From The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

1982 - Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Model / Computer Love', the first German act to score a UK No.1 single. The single spent 21 weeks on the UK chart.

1982 - J Geils Band
The J Geils Band started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Centrefold', the bands only US No.1. A No.3 hit in the UK. The bands album 'Freeze- Frame' started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart on the same day.

1989 - King Tubby
Jamaican sound engineer, and producer King Tubby died after being shot in the street outside his home. Worked with Robbie Shakespeare, Sly Dunbar, Carlton Barrett.

1990 - Billy Idol
Billy Idol suffered serious injuries when he failed to pull up at a stop sign and crashed from his Harley-Davidson motorbike into a car.

1990 - Chuck Berry
Over 200 women filed court actions against Chuck Berry after it was alleged that he had been secretly filming them in the toilets of the restaurant he owned.

1996 - Bruce Foxton
Former Jam members Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler reached a high court settlement with Paul Weller after suing him for more than £100,000, after claiming they were owed royalties and group assets.

1998 - Carl Wilson
American singer and guitarist Carl Wilson from The Beach Boys died aged 51 after a long battle with lung cancer, (Wilson was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer in early 1997). He sang lead vocal on 'God Only Knows', 'Good Vibrations,' and 'I Can Hear Music.' Wilson also sang backing vocals on Elton John's 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.'

1998 - Falco
Austrian singer Falco (Johann Holzel) was killed in a road accident after his car collided with a bus. He scored the 1986 UK & US No.1 single 'Rock Me Amadeus' making him the first-ever Austrian act to score a UK and US No.1 hit single.

2001 - Eagles
Guitarist Don Felder was fired from the Eagles. He would later launch a $50 million law suit against drummer Don Henley and guitarist Glen Frey, alleging wrongful termination and breach of implied-in-fact contract. Henley and Frey then countersued Felder for breach of contract, alleging that Felder had written and attempted to sell the rights to a "tell-all" book. Both parties settled out-of-court for an undisclosed amount.

2005 - Eminem
Eminem was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Like Toy Soldiers', the rappers 6th No.1, taken from the album Encore. The track featured samples from 'Toy Soldiers' by Martika and '50 Ways to Leave Your Lover' by Paul Simon.

2007 - Frankie Laine
Italian American singer, songwriter, and actor Frankie Laine died aged 93. He scored the 1953 UK No.1 single 'I Believe', plus over 25 other UK Top 20 singles and the 1956 US No.3 single 'Moonlight Gambler'. He sang well-known theme songs for many movie Western soundtracks, including 3:10 To Yuma, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and Blazing Saddles.

2007 - Kylie Minogue
An exhibition of Kylie Minogue's stage costumes, awards and accessories was launched in central London. The display at the Victoria and Albert Museum showed her changing image from 1987 onwards, from the dungarees she wore as Charlene in the Australian soap Neighbors and the gold hot pants she wore in her 'Spinning Around' video.

2008 - Feist
Feist won the seventh annual Shortlist Music Prize - American's version of the Mercury Prize. The Canadian singer-songwriter won for her album The Reminder, which included the song 1234 used in an Apple iPod advert. Feist was also nominated for four Grammy awards, including best new artist.

2008 - Britney Spears
A Los Angeles judge issued a restraining order against Britney Spears' manager, after her mother made the request to the court. Lynne Spears claimed Sam Lutfi, 33, had drugged the troubled pop star and interfered with her finances. In a six-page declaration, Lynne Spears said Mr Lutfi "moved into Britney's home and has purported to take control of her life, home and finances". Her declaration focused on the night of 28 January, a few days before the Grammy-winning superstar was admitted to hospital for a mental evaluation.

2011 - Gary Moore
Irish guitarist and singer Gary Moore died aged 58 in his sleep of a heart attack in his hotel room while on holiday in Estepona, Spain. Moore had been a member of Skid Row, Thin Lizzy, and Colosseum II, before going solo, scoring the 1979 UK No.8 single 'Parisienne Walkways'. Moore's greatest influence in the early days was guitarist Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac, who was a mentor to Moore when performing in Dublin. His 1990 album Still Got the Blues featured contributions from Albert King, Albert Collins, and George Harrison.

2013 - Parlophone
It was announced that Warner Music was set to buy the record label Parlophone which was formerly a part of EMI Music from Universal Music for £487m ($765m). The Parlophone label group also included the Chrysalis and Ensign labels, but The Beatles part of Parlophone, was exempted from the sale.

2014 - Nirvana
Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was named as the greatest song of all time by NME. 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was one of the last songs written for Nirvana's breakthrough album, 'Nevermind', which was released in 1991. The rest of the top five tracks were: 5: 'Last Nite', The Strokes, 4: 'How Soon Is Now?', The Smiths, 3: 'I Feel Love', Donna Summer, 2: 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', Joy Division

2016 - Dan Hicks
American singer-songwriter Dan Hicks, best-known as the lead musician and founder of the Seventies acoustic band Hicks and His Hot Licks, died at the age of 74 after suffering with throat and liver cancer. Hot Licks' hits included 'I Scare Myself' and 'Canned Music', which blended genre such as country, blues, jazz and swing.

2017 - Michael Jackson
US Tax Court Judge Mark Holmes had always been puzzled by the rap at the end of Michael Jackson's Thriller, so when the star's former lawyer John Branca appeared in front of him, he took the opportunity to settle the matter. "What exactly does 'the funk of 40,000 years' mean?" "Karma," answered Branca. The exchange came during the first day of a trial looking into Michael Jackson's debts to the taxman. The IRS claimed that Jackson's estate owed it over $700 million (£566 million) in taxes and penalties, a massive chunk of the star's estimated $1bn fortune. It put Jackson's team in the strange position of arguing the star was worth much less, after his image was tarnished by accusations of child molestation, skin bleaching and drug use.

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1946 - Kate McGarrigle
Canadian folk singer Kate McGarrigle. Once married to folk singer Loudon Wainwright lll, Kate is the mother of singers Rufus and Martha Wainwright. She rose to prominence with sister Anna when they recorded together in the 1970s. McGarrigle died of cancer on 18th Jan 2010.

1946 - Richie Hayward
American drummer Richie Hayward best known as a founding member and drummer in the band Little Feat. He performed with several bands and worked as a session player. He died on 12 August 2010.

1947 - Peter Lucia
Peter Lucia, from American rock band, Tommy James & The Shondells who had the 1966 US No.1 single 'Hanky Panky', the 1968 UK No.1 single 'Mony Mony' and the hit 'I Think We're Alone Now'.

1947 - Alan Jones
Alan Jones, saxophone, Amen Corner who had the 1967 hit 'Gin House Blues' and the 1969 UK No.1 single 'If Paradise Is Half As Nice' plus five other UK Top 40 hits.

1950 - Mike Batt
Mike Batt, songwriter, and the man behind The Wombles, who had the 1974 UK No.3 single 'Remember You're A Womble'. Batt wrote 'Bright Eyes' the 1979 UK No.1 single for Art Garfunkel and discovered UK singer, songwriter Katie Melua.

1950 - Natalie Cole
Natalie Cole, US singer, who had the 1989 UK No.2 single 'Miss You Like Crazy', and the hits 'This Will Be', 'Inseparable', and 'Our Love'. Natalie is the daughter of Nat 'King' Cole. She died on December 31, 2015 aged 65 due to congestive heart failure.

1957 - Simon Phillips
Simon Phillips, English drummer who has worked with Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, Mike Oldfield, Judas Priest, Mike Rutherford, Tears for Fears, 10cc and The Who. He became the drummer for the band Toto in 1992 after the death of Jeff Porcaro.

1962 - Axl Rose
American singer, songwriter, Axl Rose, (born William Bruce Rose), lead singer with Guns N' Roses who had the 1987 US No.1 album Appetite For Destruction which spent 158 week's on the UK chart and the 1988 US No.1 & 1989 UK No.6 single 'Sweet Child o' Mine'. Rose has been the lead singer of AC/DC since 2016.

1962 - Richie McDonald
Richie McDonald, guitarist and singer with American country group Lonestar who had the 2000 US No.1 & UK No.21 single 'Amazed'. Lonestar has charted more than 20 singles on the Hot Country Songs chart, including 9 that reached No.1.

1964 - Gord Downie
Canadian rock musician Gord Downie the lead singer and lyricist for the Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip as well as releasing six solo albums. He died of glioblastoma on 17 October 2017 aged 53.

1966 - Rick Astley
Rick Astley, singer who had the 1987 UK & US No.1 single 'Never Gonna Give You Up', which became the UK biggest seller of 87. Astley scored 7 other UK Top 10 hits, and the 1987 UK No.1 album 'Whenever You Need Somebody' spent 34 weeks on UK chart..

1980 - Yasutaka Nakata
Yasutaka Nakata, Japanese musician, songwriter, record producer and DJ. In addition to his own group Capsule, he is the exclusive songwriter, arranger and producer for singer Kyary Pamyu Pamyu (two No.1 Japanese albums) and electro-pop group Perfume (four No.1 Japanese albums).

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Sunday.

Post 1 of 2:

1959 - Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly was buried in Lubbock, Texas. His tombstone reads "Holley", the correct spelling of his given surname and includes pictures of a guitar. On Feb 3rd 1959, after a show in Clear Lake, Iowa, Holly chartered an airplane to travel to his next show in Moorhead, Minnesota. Soon after takeoff, the plane crashed, killing Holly, Ritchie Valens, the Big Bopper and the pilot, an infamous milestone in rock history known as The Day the Music Died.

1959 - Guitar Slim
New Orleans blues guitarist Guitar Slim died of pneumonia aged 32. Born Eddie Jones he is best known for the million-selling song ‘The Things That I Used to Do’. Slim had a major impact on rock and roll and experimented with distorted overtones on the electric guitar a full decade before Jimi Hendrix. He became known for his wild stage act and had an assistant who followed him around the audience with up to 350 feet of cord between his guitar and his amplifier, and occasionally rode on his assistant's shoulders or even took his guitar outside the club, bringing traffic to a stop.

1963 - The Beatles
The first Beatles single 'Please Please Me' was released in the US on the Vee Jay label. Capitol Records, EMI's United States label, were offered the right to release the single in the US, but turned it down. **ahem** Biondi, a disc jockey on WLS in Chicago and a friend of Vee-Jay executive Ewart Abner, played the song on the radio from February 1963, thus becoming the first DJ to play a Beatles record in the United States.

1964 - The Beatles
Pan Am flight 101 was greeted by over 5,000 Beatles fans as it arrived at New York's JFK airport, bringing The Beatles to the US for the first time and causing riotous scenes as they touched down.

1967 - Barry Gibb
Robin, Maurice and Barry Gibb of The Bee Gees returned to the UK after living in Australia for nine years.

1969 - The Doors
Doors singer Jim Morrison was arrested for drunk driving and driving with no license in Los Angeles, California.

1969 - The Who
The Who recorded 'Pinball Wizard' at Morgan Studio's, London, England. The song is one of the band's most famous live songs, being played at almost every Who concert since its debut live performance on 2 May 1969. The track which featured on their 1969 rock opera album Tommy was released as a single in 1969 and reached No. 4 in the UK charts and No. 19 in the US.

1970 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin scored their first UK No.1 album with Led Zeppelin II. Released in November 1969, and featuring the US No. 4 single 'Whole Lotta Love', it went on to stay on the UK chart for 136 weeks. Also reaching No. 1 in the US, the RIAA in the US has now certified it as having sold over 12 million copies in the US alone.

1970 - Shocking Blue
One Hit Wonders Shocking Blue went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Venus', making them the first Dutch act to top the US charts. It made No.8 in the UK; Bananarama took the song to No.8 on the UK chart in 86.

1973 - The Stooges
The Stooges released their third studio album Raw Power. The album gained a cult following in the years following its release and, like its predecessor (1970s Fun House), is generally considered an influential forerunner of punk rock. Kurt Cobain said on numerous times that Raw Power was his favorite album of all time.

1976 - Paul Simon
Paul Simon started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with '50 Ways To Leave Your Lover', the singers first solo US No.1.

1979 - Stephen Stills
Stephen Stills became the first rock performer to record on digital equipment in the Los Angeles' Record Plant Studio.

1981 - Kool & The Gang
Kool & The Gang started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Celebration' the group's first No.1 and 8th top 40 hit, a No.7 hit in the UK.

1981 - John Lennon
John Lennon was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Woman', an ode to his wife Yoko Ono. It was Lennon's third No.1 in seven weeks after his death on December 8, 1980.

1985 - Matt Monro
Matt Monro, 60s UK ballad singer died from liver cancer at the Cromwell Hospital, Ealing, London. 1964 UK No.4 & US No.23 single 'Walk Away' plus 10 other UK Top 40 hits including the 1965 hit with his version of The Beatles' 'Yesterday'.

1987 - George Michael
George Michael and Aretha Franklin were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)'. Written by Simon Climie it gave Aretha her first UK No.1 almost 20 years after her first hit.

1994 - Blind Melon
Blind Melon's lead singer Shannon Hoon was forced to leave the American Music Awards ceremony for his loud and disruptive behavior. Hoon was later charged with battery, assault, resisting arrest, and destroying a police station phone.

1999 - Blondie
Blondie went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Maria', giving the group their sixth UK No.1 single, 20 years after their first No.1 ‘Heart of Glass.’ At the age of 54, lead singer Debbie Harry became the oldest female to make No.1 in the UK.

2000 - Big Punisher
American rapper Big Punisher (better known by his stage name Big Pun), died of a heart attack, aged 28. The rapper had weighed 318kg (50 stone) when he had the attack. His second album, Yeeeah Baby, completed before his death, was issued as scheduled in April 2000. It peaked at No.3 on the Billboard charts.

2000 - Dave Peverett
English guitarist and singer Dave Peverett died from kidney cancer aged 56. He had been a member of the English blues rock band Savoy Brown and Foghat who had the Seventies hit singles 'My Babe', and 'Slow Ride'.

2004 - Queen
Queen's single 'We Will Rock You' topped a poll of music fans to find the greatest rock anthem of all time. The 1977 song beat the band's classic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' into second place in a survey of 1,000 people carried out for the UCI cinema chain. The poll was carried out to mark the release of new Jack Black comedy 'School of Rock.'

2005 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson's Thriller was named the top pop video in a poll of Channel 4 viewers in the UK. The 1983 video, which depicts the singer as a werewolf and a zombie, beat videos by Madonna and Robbie Williams. Animated videos for Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer and A-Ha's Take On Me were in second and third place respectively. 4th was Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody, 5th, Madonna Like a Prayer, 6th, Robbie Williams, Rock DJ, 7th, Michael Jackson, Billie Jean, 8th, The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony, 9th, Madonna Vogue and 10th Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit.

2008 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse was told she could not perform at this year's Grammy awards ceremony because her US visa application has been rejected by the embassy in London. The singer was arrested for marijuana possession in Norway last year. Winehouse has been nominated for six Grammy awards ahead of the ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday.

2013 - Wilko Johnson
Music venues and fans criticized "heartless" touts and agencies selling tickets for guitarist Wilko Johnson's farewell tour at inflated prices. The former Dr Feelgood guitarist, was suffering from terminal cancer and was playing a series of farewell dates in February and March. Originally tickets sold for £20, but were now being offered online at prices of £225.

2015 - Joe B. Mauldin
American bass player, songwriter, Joe B. Mauldin died aged 74. He was best known as the bassist for the early rock and roll group The Crickets and later became a recording engineer at Gold Star Studios, the Los Angeles studio which became the "hit factory" for Phil Spector, Brian Wilson and other major 1960s rock performers.

End of post 1 of 2.

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1924 - Dora Bryan
Dora Bryan, English actress and singer who had the 1963 UK No.20 single 'All I Want For Christmas Is A Beatle'. She died on 23 July 2014.

1934 - Earl King
Earl King, New Orleans Blues guitarist. He wrote 'Come On, (Let The Good Times Roll'), covered by Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. King died on April 17th 2003 from diabetes-related complications aged 69.

1934 - King Curtis
US sax player King Curtis who was stabbed to death by a vagrant on the front steps of his New York home on 13th August 1971. Curtis worked with John Lennon and had played on The Coasters hit 'Yakety Yak'.

1948 - Jimmy Greenspoon
Jimmy Greenspoon, organist with Three Dog Night, who had the 1970 UK No.3 & US No.1 single with a cover of the Randy Newman song 'Mama Told Me Not To Come'. The band scored 21 Billboard Top 40 hits (with three hitting No.1) between 1969 and 1975. He died on March 11 2015 after a long battle with cancer at the age of 67.

1949 - Alan Lancaster
Alan Lancaster, bassist with English group Status Quo. He left the band in 1984. The group have had over 60 chart hits in the UK, more than any other rock band, including 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' in 1967, 'Whatever You Want' in 1979 and 'In the Army Now' in 2010. Twenty-two of these reached the Top 10 in the UK. In July 1985 the band opened Live Aid at Wembley Stadium with 'Rockin' All Over the World'.

1953 - Bruce Gaitsch
American guitarist, composer, and producer Bruce Gaitsch best known for working Chicago, Peter Cetera, Madonna, and Agnetha Fältskog. Gaitsch co-wrote the Madonna song 'La Isla Bonita', an 1987 international No.1 hit single from her third studio album True Blue.

1959 - Brian Travers
Brian Travers, saxophonist with UB40, who had the 1983 UK No.1 & 1988 US No.1 single 'Red Red Wine' and over 30 other top 40 hits.

1960 - Steve Bronski
Steve Bronski, from English group Bronski Beat who had the 1984 UK No.3 single 'Smalltown Boy'.

1962 - David Bryan
David Bryan, keyboards with Bon Jovi who had the 1987 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Livin' On A Prayer'. Bryan is also the writer of the successful Broadway musical Memphis.

1962 - Garth Brooks
Garth Brooks, US country singer, who had the 1991 US No.1 album 'Ropin' The Wind' which spent 70 weeks on the US chart, and the 1994 UK No.13 single 'The Red Strokes.' Brooks is the biggest selling artist of the 90s with over 60 million sales.

1962 - Deborah Bonham
Deborah Bonham, English rock and blues vocalist and the sister of John Bonham the late drummer for the band Led Zeppelin.

1968 - Sully Erna
Sully Erna, guitar, vocals, Godsmack, who had the 2003, US No.1 album 'Faceless', 2006 US No.1 album 'IV'.

1974 - J Dilla
James Dewitt Yancey, (J Dilla or Jay Dee), hip hop producer and MC. He died on Feb 10th 2006 of a rare blood disease at his home in Los Angeles, California.

1974 - Danny Goffey
Danny Goffey, drummer with English group Supergrass who had the 1995 UK No.2 single 'Alright', and the 1995 UK No.1 album I Should Coco which spent 35 weeks on the UK chart.

1975 - Wes Borland
Wes Borland, guitarist with Limp Bizkit, who had the 2001 UK No.1 single 'Rollin' & US & UK No.1 album 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water'.

1983 - Sam Martin
Sam Martin, American musician, singer, songwriter. He rose to fame in 2014 for not only writing, but being a featured artist on David Guetta's No.1 singles ‘Lovers on the Sun’ and ‘Dangerous’.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In The History Of Music for this Monday.

Post 1 of 2:

1964 - The Beatles
On their first full day in New York, The Beatles (minus George who had a sore throat), went for a photo-opportunity walk around Central Park. Over 400 girl fans followed The Beatles and extra police were called in to control them. Later in the day The Ronettes interviewed The Beatles for radio.

1968 - The Band Of Joy
The Band Of Joy, featuring John Bonham and Robert Plant, made their first London appearance, supporting Edwin Starr at the The Marquee Club in London, England. The Marquee was witness to the London scene of the late 60s, represented at the club by bands like the Move, The Syn, Pink Floyd, (who played the club many times), Neat Change, The In Crowd, Soft Machine and Arthur Brown.

1973 - Max Yasgur
Max Yasgur died of a heart attack aged 53. He was the owner of the dairy farm in Bethel, New York at which the Woodstock Music and Art Fair was held between August 15 and August 18, 1969.

1975 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan went to No.1 on the US chart with his 15th studio album Blood On The Tracks, his second US No.1 album. The album has become one of Dylan's all-time best-selling studio releases, with a double-platinum US certification by the Recording Industry Association of America.

1980 - David Bowie
The divorce became final between David Bowie and his wife Angie. He won custody of their son Zowie, (now known as Joe), Angie received a £30,000 ($51,000) settlement.

1981 - R.E.M.
R.E.M. made their first ever-recording sessions at Bombay Studios Smyrna, Georgia. Tracks included 'Gardening At Night', 'Radio Free Europe' and '(Don't Go Back To) Rockville.'

1983 - Kim Wilde
Winners at the second annual Brit Awards held in London included Paul McCartney who won Best British Male Solo Artist, Kim Wilde won Best British Female Solo Artist, Dire Straits won British Group, British Breakthrough Act went to Yazoo, International Act was Kid Creole & The Coconuts, Best Selling Single Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen" and the Life Achievement Award went to Pete Townshend .

1986 - Billy Ocean
Billy Ocean started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going', as featured in the film 'The Jewel Of The Nile.' The video was banned in the UK because it featured non-musician union members. Boyzone took the song to No.1 in 1999.

1990 - Del Shannon
Suffering from depression American singer songwriter Del Shannon died of self inflicted gunshot wounds. He scored the 1961 UK and US No.1 single 'Runaway', plus nine US and 12 other UK Top 40 singles. In 1963, he became the first American to record a cover version of a song by the Beatles: his version of ‘From Me to You’ charted in the US before The Beatles' version. Shannon had been working with Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne and was rumored to be replacing Roy Orbison who had recently died, in the Traveling Wilburys supergroup.

1992 - Right Said Fred
UK act Right Said Fred started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'm Too Sexy', a No.2 hit in the UK.

1994 - Oasis
Oasis were forced to cancel their first foreign tour after they were deported from Holland. The band were involved in a drunken brawl on a cross-channel ferry resulting in members of the band being arrested and locked in the brig on the ferry.

2002 - Bob Wooler
Bob Wooler died aged 76. He was the resident DJ and booker at The Cavern Club in Liverpool during the early 1960s. Wooler introduced The Beatles to their manager, Brian Epstein.

2005 - Keith Knudson
American rock drummer, vocalist, and songwriter Keith Knudson from with The Doobie Brothers died of pneumonia aged 56. The Doobie Brothers scored the 1979 US No.1 single 'What A Fool Believes' and 1993 UK No.7 single 'Long Train Runnin.' He founded the band Southern Pacific with fellow Doobie Brother John McFee.

2005 - Pete Doherty
Pete Doherty was released from jail on bail after four nights when his manager paid the remaining £100,000 ($170,000) bail to Highbury Corner Magistrates Court, London. The ex-Libertines star had been charged with robbery and blackmail after a fracas at a London hotel. His bail arrangements stated he would not be able to leave his house between 2200pm and 0700am every night and must be accompanied by a security guard or his manager if he goes out at any other time.

2005 - Kylie Minogue
Kylie Minogue was voted the world's sexiest woman in her 30s by UK magazine Good Housekeeping. Sade was voted No.4 in the over 40s with Madonna coming in at No.7 and Jerry Hall at No.8. And Sharon Osbourne was voted into 3rd place in the over 50s section.

2009 - Chris Brown
R&B singer Chris Brown was questioned by police in Los Angeles over a complaint of assault. The 19-year-old had pulled out of his performance at the Grammy Awards, as did his pop star girlfriend Rihanna. Police said Mr Brown argued with an unidentified woman while sitting in a car. Brown had walked into a police station and was later released on $50,000 (£34,000) bail. Los Angeles police did not identify the woman who had made the complaint against Brown.

2013 - Axl Rose
LA Superior Court Judge Charles Palmer threw out a claim by Axl Rose of fraud and misrepresentation against Guitar Hero III. Rose claimed that his deal with the company to license the song 'Welcome to the Jungle' for use in the game included a promise from Activision that no images of Slash would be used in the game. Later, both Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine and Gwen Stefani’s band No Doubt sued the company over their own portrayals in Band Hero, a Guitar Hero series spin-off.

2013 - Digital Music
A report on the the rise of digital music showed that one in five consumers (19.6%) bought all their music as downloads. The report said that 27.7% of UK music fans purchased downloads from stores such as iTunes or Amazon; or streamed songs on services like Spotify or YouTube and that the streaming market was now worth £49m to record labels.

2015 - Sam Smith
British soul singer Sam Smith won four Grammy Awards in the US, including the prestigious prizes for record and song of the year for 'Stay With Me' and best new artist. Album of the year went to Beck for Morning Phase.

End of post 1 of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1942 - Terry Melcher
Terry Melcher, who was behind hits by the Byrds, Ry Cooder and the Beach Boys. The son of actress Doris Day, he co-wrote ‘Kokomo’ for The Beach Boys, and produced 'Mr Tambourine Man' for the Byrds, as well as hits for The Mamas & the Papas. Melcher died on 19 November 2004 aged 62 after a long battle with skin cancer.

1943 - Creed Bratton
Creed Bratton, from Grass Roots, who had the 1968 US No.5 single 'Midnight Confessions', plus 13 other US Top 40 singles. He is more recently known for playing a fictional version of himself on The Office on NBC.

1946 - Adolpho De La Para
Mexican drummer Adolpho De La Para with American band Canned Heat who had the 1970 UK No.2 & US No.26 single 'Let's Work Together'. He has also played with some of the greatest blues singers of our time including, Big Joe Turner, T-Bone Walker, Albert Collins and John Lee Hooker.

1946 - Paul Wheatbread
Paul Wheatbread, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, who had the 1968 UK No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Young Girl' as well as the hits 'Woman, Woman', 'Over You' and 'Lady Willpower.'

1948 - Dan Seals
American musician Dan Seals from England Dan & John Ford Coley, who had the 1976 US No. 2 & UK No. 26 single, 'I'd Really Love To See You Tonight.' Seals who died on 25 March 2009 was the younger brother of Seals & Crofts member Jim Seals.

1961 - Vince Neil
Vince Neil, singer from American heavy metal band Motley Crue. Their highest-selling album, 1989's Dr. Feelgood established the quartet as one of the biggest hard rock/metal bands of the '80s.

1962 - Ken McCluskey
Ken McCluskey, drummer from Scottish indie rock band The Bluebells who had the 1993 UK No.1 single with the re-issued 'Young At Heart' after it was used in a Volkswagen television advertisement.

1968 - Tjinder Singh
Tjinder Singh, guitarist from British indie rock band Cornershop, who had the 1998 UK No.1 single 'Brimful Of Asha'.

1974 - De Homem Christo
Guy Man, (Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo), French electronic musician with Daft Punk, 1997 UK No.5 single 'Around The World', remixed Gabrielle, Chemical Brothers. Scored the 2013 UK No.1 hit 'Get Lucky' featuring Pharrell Williams.

1977 - Dave Ferrell
Dave 'Phoenix' Ferrell, bassist with Linkin Park, who had the 2002 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'In The End', and the 2002 US No.2 & 2001 UK No.4 album Hybrid Theory.

1980 - Cameron Muncey
Cameron Muncey, guitarist from Australian rock band Jet, who had the 2003 Australian No.1 & UK No.14 album Get Born. The group sold over 6.5 million albums.

1985 - Jeremy Davis
Jeremy Davis, bassist with US band Paramore who had the 2009 UK No.1 album 'Brand New Eyes' and their 2013 self-titled fourth studio album hit No.1 on the US chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1959 - George Jones
Mercury Records released 'White Lightning' by George Jones, which became the first No.1 single of his career. In his 1997 autobiography, I Lived To Tell It All, Jones mentions the fact that the recording process of 'White Lightning' was extremely lengthy after he arrived for the recording session under the influence of a great deal of alcohol and it took him approximately 80 takes just to record his vocals.

1961 - The Beatles
The Beatles appeared at The Cavern Club, Liverpool, for the very first time (as The Beatles), they would go on to make a total of 292 other appearances at the Club. They were paid £5 for this lunchtime appearance and George Harrison was nearly denied admission to play because he was wearing jeans.

1964 - Ed Sullivan
The Beatles made their US live debut on CBS-TV's 'The Ed Sullivan Show'; they performed five songs including their current No.1 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'. Never before had so many viewers tuned-in to a live television program, which with 73 million viewers, was three-fourths of the total adult audience in the United States. The show had received over 50,000 applications for the 728 seats in the TV studio.

1967 - Percy Faith
Canadian conductor Percy Faith died aged 67. He scored the 1953 hit 'Song from the Moulin Rouge' and 1960 US No.1 'Theme From A Summer Place', which spent nine weeks at No.1, and won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1961.

1967 - Engelbert Humperdinck
The film for the latest Beatles single 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' was shown on BBC-TV's Top Of The Pops. It was the first Beatles single not to make No.1 in the UK since 1963, held off the top by Engelbert Humperdinck's 'Release Me.'

1968 - Hal Cone
Hal Cone former manager of The Monkees and Head of Jones Records was found guilty of theft, forgery, receiving stolen property and conspiracy.

1972 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney's Wings played the first night of a UK College tour in Nottingham. The group arrived unannounced asking social secretaries if they would like them to perform that evening. The band's intended first stop on the tour, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, refused to allow them to play so they drove on to Nottingham. Admission was 40p, British pub rock band Brinsley Schwarz was the opening act for the tour.

1981 - Bill Haley
American singer and musician Bill Haley who became known as the first Rock 'n' Roll star, was found dead, fully clothed on his bed at his home in Harlingen, Texas from a heart attack, aged 55. He scored the 1955 UK & US No.1 single 'Rock Around the Clock' as well as 'See You Later, Alligator’, ‘Shake, Rattle and Roll’, ‘Rocket 88’, ‘Skinny Minnie’, and ‘Razzle Dazzle’. Haley was blinded in his left eye as a child due to a botched operation and later adopted his distinctive spit-curl hairstyle to distract attention from his blind eye.

1982 - George Harrison
George Harrison presented UNICEF with a cheque for $9 million (£5.3 million), ten years after the fundraising The Concert For Bangladesh.

1985 - Madonna
Madonna started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Like A Virgin', a No.3 hit in the UK.

1987 - Peter Gabriel
Winners at this years Brit awards held in London included Peter Gabriel who won British Male Solo Artist, Kate Bush won British Female Solo Artist, Best British Group went to Five Star, British Album was Dire Straits 'Brothers In Arms', British Breakthrough Act was The Housemartins, International Solo Artist went to Paul Simon. The Bangles won Best International Group, Best British Video went to Peter Gabriel for 'Sledgehammer' and Best British Single was The Pet Shop Boys for 'West End Girls'.

1993 - Bill Grundy
British broadcaster Bill Grundy died of a heart attack aged 69. He conducted the famous Sex Pistols interview on Thames Television on December 1, 1976; when Grundy provoked the band into using obscenities on live TV. The broadcast wrecked Grundy's television career. He was also the first television presenter to present The Beatles on Granada Television on October 17, 1962.

1997 - Brian Connolly
Scottish singer Brian Connolly with the Seventies Glam rock group Sweet died of kidney and liver failure aged 51. Connolly replaced Ian Gillan (later of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath ) in Wainwright's Gentlemen who became Sweetshop and then shortened to Sweet. The group scored 15 UK top 40 hits including the 1973 No.1 hit ‘Block Buster’.

1997 - Jack Owens
American Delta blues singer and guitarist Jack Owens died aged 92. In 1995 he appeared in a TV advertisement for Levi's jeans, showing him seated on his front porch. He was a recipient of a 1993 National Heritage Fellowship awarded by the National Endowment for the Arts, which is the highest honor in the folk and traditional arts in the United States.

1998 - Danbert Nobacon
Winners at this year's Brit Awards included Finley Quaye who won Best British Male Solo Artist, Best British Female Solo Artist went to Shola Ama, The Verve won British Group and Best British Album for 'Urban Hymns', British Dance Act went to The Prodigy, British Breakthrough Act was Stereophonics, Best Selling British Album Act was The Spice Girls International Male, Jon Bon Jovi, International Female, Bjork, International Group, U2 and Outstanding Contribution went to Fleetwood Mac. During the show Chumbawamba singer Danbert Nobacon threw a plastic bucket full of cold water over UK Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.

2001 - Eminem
Eminem beefed up security for his UK shows following the threat of gay rights protests. Campaigners said the rapper was a homophobe who fueled prejudice with hate-filled lyrics.

2005 - Joss Stone
Winners at this year's Brit Awards included The Streets who won Best British male solo artist, Joss Stone won British female solo artist, Best British Album went to Keane for 'Hopes and Fears', Franz Ferdinand won Best British Group and Best Rock Act, McFly won Best Pop Act, Scissor Sisters won Best International group and the Best Album award the Brits 25 best song award went to Robbie Williams for 'Angels' and Sir Bob Geldof won the Outstanding Contribution To Music award.

2009 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant took home five prizes for his collaboration with bluegrass singer Alison Krauss at this year's Grammy Awards held in Los Angeles. The duo won album of the year for Raising Sand and record of the year for ‘Please Read The Letter.’ Coldplay (who won song of the year for ‘Viva La Vida’) Adele, Duffy, Radiohead and Peter Gabriel were among other UK acts to be honoured.

2009 - Ringo Starr
Ringo Starr became the 2,401st person to be added to the Hollywood Walk Of Fame during a ceremony that marked the 50th anniversary of the attraction. The Beatles as a group were given a star in 1998.

2010 - The White Stripes
The White Stripes were taking on the US Air Force, complaining that it used one of the group's songs 'Fell In Love With A Girl' in a TV advert without permission. In a statement on their website, the duo said they took "strong insult and objection, with the implication that we licensed one of our songs to encourage recruitment during a war that we do not support."

2015 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan turned the tables on his critics during a 30-minute speech, at the Musicares charity gala honoring his career. The 73-year-old, who rarely talks about his work, asked why critics complained he "can't sing" and sounds "like a frog" but do not "say that about Tom Waits?" The singer added, "Critics say my voice is shot, that I have no voice. Why don't they say those things about Leonard Cohen? Why do I get special treatment?"

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1925 - Billy Williamson
American steel guitar player Billy Williamson. He was a member of Bill Haley and His Saddlemen, and its successor group Bill Haley & His Comets, from 1949 to 1963. Williamson had the distinction of being the only Comet allowed to record lead vocal tracks during Haley's tenure at Decca Records (such as the song ‘Hide and Seek’ on their 1956 album, Rock and Roll Stage Show and ‘B.B. Betty’ on the 1958 Bill Haley's Chicks album. He died on 22 March 1996.

1925 - Bobby Lewis
American rock and roll and rhythm and blues singer Bobby Lewis best known for his 1961 hit singles 'Tossin’ and Turnin'' (number 1 for seven weeks on the Billboard chart in the summer of 1961) and 'One Track Mind'. He died on 28 April 2020 aged 95.

1939 - Barry Mann
Barry Mann, US singer, songwriter. Wrote many early 60s pop hits including 'Saturday Night At The Movies', 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling', 'Walking In The Rain'. Also had the 1961 US No.7 solo single 'Who Put The Bomp, In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp.'

1940 - Brian Bennett
Brian Bennett, drummer with The Shadows, who had the 1963 UK No.1 single 'Foot Tapper' plus 28 other UK Top 40 singles as well as having hits with Cliff Richard.

1942 - Carole King
Carole King, US singer, songwriter who wrote many songs with Gerry Goffin including the 1962 UK No.3 & US No.22 single, 'It Might As Well Rain Until September'. Her 1970 US No.1 album 'Tapestry' has sold over 15 million copies and became a Grammy award winner in 71.

1947 - Joe Ely
Joe Ely, country singer who toured with The Clash in the late 70s, and was a one time member of Linda Ronstadt's band.

1947 - Major Harris
Major Harris, singer from American R&B/soul vocal group The Delfonics who had the 1968 US No.4 single 'La-La Means I Love You', and the hits 'Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)', and 'Ready or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide from Love)'. Harris died in a Richmond, Virginia, hospital on November 9, 2012 from congestive heart and lung failure at the age of 65.

1951 - Dennis Thomas
Dennis Thomas, singer with Kool & The Gang who had the 1981 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Celebration', and the 1984 UK No.2 single 'Joanna' plus over 15 other Top 40 hits.

1955 - Jimmy Pursey
Jimmy Pursey, singer with UK punk group Sham 69 who had the 1979 UK No.6 single, 'Hersham Boys'.

1960 - Holly Johnson
Holly Johnson, singer who was a member of Liverpool based groups Big In Japan and Frankie Goes To Hollywood who had the 1984 UK No.1 & US No. 10 single 'Relax' and six other UK Top 40 singles. As a solo, artist scored the 1989 UK No.4 'Love Train' and 1989 UK No.1 album 'Blast'.

1963 - Dave Rotheray
Dave Rotheray, guitarist with English group The Beautiful South who had the 1990 UK No.1 single 'A Little Time' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

1964 - Rachel Bolan
Rachel Bolan, from American heavy metal band Skid Row. The group achieved commercial success in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with its first two albums Skid Row (1989) and Slave to the Grind (1991) the latter of which reached No.1 on the Billboard chart.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1942 - Glen Miller
'Chattanooga Choo Choo' by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra became the first recording to be awarded a Gold record. It was actually just a master copy of the disc sprayed with gold lacquer by RCA as a publicity stunt. The actual award recognized today as a Gold Record would not be initiated for another sixteen years when the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) borrowed the idea and trademarked the Gold Record. The first Gold single was awarded to Perry Como in 1958 for 'Catch A Falling Star' and the first Gold album was given to Gordon McRae for the soundtrack to 'Oklahoma'.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles recorded the orchestral build-up for the middle and end of 'A Day in the Life'. At the Beatles' request, the orchestra members arrived in full evening dress along with novelty items. One violinist wore a red clown's nose, while another, a fake gorilla's paw on his bow hand. Others were wearing funny hats and other assorted novelties. The recording was filmed for a possible 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' television special which was ultimately abandoned. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mike Nesmith from The Monkees and Donovan also attended the session.

1968 - Four Tops
The Four Tops 'Greatest Hits' was at No.1 on the UK album chart, the first No.1 album for the Tamla Motown label.

1971 - Carole King
American singer-songwriter Carole King released her second studio album Tapestry. It is one of the best-selling albums of all time, with over 25 million copies sold worldwide. The lead single from the album 'It's Too Late'/'I Feel the Earth Move' spent five weeks at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The cover photograph was taken at King's Laurel Canyon home. It shows her sitting in a window frame, holding a tapestry she hand-stitched herself, with her cat Telemachus at her feet.

1972 - David Bowie
David Bowie appeared at the Tolworth Toby Jug, London, on the opening date of his Ziggy Stardust tour playing to around 60 people in the room. The character of Ziggy was initially inspired by British rock 'n' roll singer Vince Taylor. The Ziggy Stardust tour played a total of 182 dates.

1973 - Elton John
Elton John had his first UK No.1 album when Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player started a six-week run at the top of the charts. The title of the album came from comic actor Groucho Marx of The Marx Brothers who referred to him as 'John Elton' whilst holding out his middle and index finger in the style of a pistol. Elton then retaliated saying "Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player" at Marx's gun imitation.

1974 - Phil Spector
Record producer Phil Spector was injured in a car crash. He needed extensive plastic surgery that dramatically altered his looks. Details of how the accident happened were kept secret.

1975 - Dave Alexander
Dave Alexander, the original bassist for The Stooges died from pneumonia aged 27. Alexander met Iggy Pop and formed The Stooges in 1967 and had a hand in arranging, composing and performing all of the songs that appeared on the band's first two albums, The Stooges and Fun House. He was fired from the band in August 1970 after showing up at a gig too drunk to play.

1977 - Clash
The Clash started recording their debut album at CBS studios in London, England. The album was recorded over three weekend sessions at CBS Studio 3 in February 1977. By the third of these sessions the album was recorded and mixed to completion, with the tapes being delivered to CBS at the start of March. It cost just £4000 to produce.

1978 - Van Halen
Van Halen released their self-titled debut studio album. Peaking at No.19 on the Billboard 200 the album went on to sell more than 10 million copies in the US. The album contains some of Van Halen's most well-known songs, including 'Runnin' with the Devil', 'Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love', 'Jamie's Cryin'', and their cover of The Kinks' 'You Really Got Me'. The 1 minute and 42 second Eddie Van Halen instrumental 'Eruption' featured on the album is considered one of the best electric guitar solos of all time and popularized the technique of two-handed tapping.

1979 - Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Da Ya Think I'm Sexy', his third US No.1. (and a No.1 hit in the UK). Also today Rod started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Blondes Have More Fun.

1984 - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Frankie Goes To Hollywood were at No.1 on the UK singles chart for the third week with 'Relax.' Eurythmics had the UK No.1 album with 'Touch.'

1990 - Paula Abdul
Paula Abdul started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Opposites Attract', her fourth US No.1, a No.2 hit in the UK.

1993 - Michael Jackson
On a special edition of the Oprah Winfrey show, Michael Jackson gave his first TV interview for 14 years, live from his Neverland Valley Ranch.

1997 - Blur
Blur released their eponymous fifth studio album. As well as lead single, 'Beetlebum', reaching the top of the UK charts the album also reached the top 20 in six other countries. The success of 'Song 2' led to Blur becoming the band's most successful album in the US where the Britpop scene had been largely unsuccessful.

1998 - Axl Rose
Axl Rose was charged with disorderly conduct following a row with a baggage handler at Arizona Airport, Rose was later released on bail.

2001 - Eminem
Police were investigating Eminem over suspected drugs offences after he appeared to consume Ecstasy pills and encouraged the audience at his Manchester show to take drugs. Over 100 gay rights protesters picketed the show.

2002 - Dave Van Ronk
American folk singer Dave Van Ronk died aged 65. An important figure in the American folk music revival and New York City's Greenwich Village scene in the Sixties, he was nicknamed the "Mayor of MacDougal Street". Bob Dylan recorded Van Ronk's arrangement of the traditional song ‘House of the Rising Sun’ on his first album, which The Animals turned into a No.1 UK single in 1964, helping inaugurate the folk-rock movement.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2004 - Diana Ross
Diana Ross was sentenced to two days in jail after pleading 'no contest' to a drink driving charge. She was allowed to enter her plea over the telephone from New York; her lawyer said the singer would serve her term at a prison near her Los Angeles home. Ross was arrested in December 2002 after tests indicated she was twice over the drink- drive limit.

2005 - Prince
Prince topped Rolling Stone magazine's annual list of the years biggest money earners after his 2004 tour grossed over $90 million (£53 million). Madonna came in second place after earning $54.9 million (£34.3 million) and Metallica came third with $43 million (£25.3 million).

2005 - Roger Daltrey
Who singer Roger Daltrey was awarded the CBE by The Queen at Buckingham Palace for services to the music industry.

2006 - J Dilla
American record producer and MC James Dewitt Yancey, (A.K.A. J Dilla or Jay Dee), died of a rare blood disease, at his home in Los Angeles, California. Yancey had toured Europe in 2005 performing from a wheelchair.

2008 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse won five prizes at this year's Grammy Awards, including song of the year and record of the year, both for her single 'Rehab', and best new artist. The UK singer was not at the Los Angeles ceremony to collect them due to visa problems. Instead, she made an acceptance speech by satellite, paying tribute to her husband, "my Blake incarcerated", who was in custody awaiting trial on charges of attempting to pervert the course of justice and grievous bodily harm. Kanye West scooped four Grammy Awards, while Bruce Springsteen won three.

2014 - Chris Cornell
A Seattle woman was charged for allegedly sending Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell a number of chilling death threats and threats to harm his children. The singer was sent over 100 different messages by Elizabeth Walden who had nine different Twitter accounts. Prosecutors said the tweets constituted cyber-stalking and filed criminal charges against her.

2017 - Prince
Universal Records struck a deal to release much of the late musician Prince's private archive. Universal said the deal gave it exclusive licensing rights to Prince's "highly anticipated trove of unreleased works". It had also acquired the rights to 25 albums that Prince released through NPG Records, the label that he founded.

1914 - Larry Adler
Larry Adler, mouth organist, worked as a soloist with many of the world's major symphony orchestras. He played with countless artists from Fred Astaire to George Gershwin and later with Elton John and Sting. Recorded the 1994 tribute album 'Glory Of Gershwin'. He died on August 7th 2001, aged 87.

1929 - Jerry Goldsmith
Jerry Goldsmith. Created the music for scores of classic movies and television shows ‘Star Trek’, ‘Planet of the Apes’, ‘The Man from U.N.C.L.E.’ and ‘Dr. Kildare.’ He died after a long battle with cancer on July 21st 2004, aged 75.

1937 - Don Wilson
American musician Don Wilson, guitarist with The Ventures who had the 1960 UK No.4 single 'Perfidia', and the 1960 US No.2 single 'Walk Don't Run'.

1937 - Roberta Flack
Roberta Flack, US singer, songwriter, who had the 1972 US No.1 single 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face', 1973 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Killing Me Softly With His Song'.

1940 - Jimmy Merchant
Jimmy Merchant singer with American-Puerto Rican doo wop group Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers, who had the 1956 UK No.1 & US No.6 single 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love'. They are also noted for being rock's first all-teenaged act.

1943 - Ral Donner
Ral Donner, US singer, who had the 1961 US No.4 & UK No.25 single 'You Don't Know What You've Got Until You Lose It'. Donner died on April 6th 1984.

1946 - Clifford T. Ward
Clifford T. Ward, UK, singer, songwriter who had the 1973 UK No.8 single 'Gaye'). Ward died on the 18th December 2001.

1947 - Chris Ethridge
American country rock bass guitarist Chris Ethridge. He was a member of the International Submarine Band and The Flying Burrito Brothers. Ethridge also worked with Nancy Sinatra, Leon Russell, Delaney Bramlett, Johnny Winter, Randy Newman, Ry Cooder, Linda Ronstadt, The Byrds, Jackson Browne, and Willie Nelson. Ethridge died on April 23, 2012 at age 65 from pancreatic cancer.

1949 - Nigel Olsson
Nigel Olsson, drummer with the Elton John band who has played on some of John's classic albums including Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player, Honky Chateau, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

1958 - Walter Afanasieff
Brazilian-American musician Walter Afanasieff known for his long association with Mariah Carey, for whom he was co-producer and co-writer for several years, beginning in 1990. He won the 1999 Grammy Award in the Record of the Year category for producing 'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion.

1958 - Norman Harris
Norman Harris, guitarist, songwriter and producer. He worked with The Delfonics, The Tramps' and MFSB. Harris died of a heart attack on March 21st 1987.

1962 - Cliff Burton
Cliff Burton bass player with Metallica. Burton was killed on September 27th 1987, when the band's tour bus crashed as it was travelling between Stockholm and Copenhagen. He was found crushed to death under the bus.

1977 - Rosanna Tavarez
Rosanna Tavarez, singer from Eden's Crush, the American girl group who were created on the American television series Popstars who scored the 2001 Canadian No.1 and US No. 8 single 'Get Over Yourself'.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In Music History for this Thursday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley appeared on American TV's 'Stage Show' and performed 'Heartbreak Hotel' and 'Blue Suede Shoes.'

1958 - Michael Holliday
English singer Michael Holliday was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Story Of My Life.' The song gave writers Bacharach and David their first UK No.1 hit.

1963 - The Beatles
In less than ten hours, The Beatles record ten new songs for their first album plus four other tracks which would be the next two singles. John Lennon's vocal on The Isley Brothers 'Twist & Shout' was recorded in one take to complete the album.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles made their live concert debut in the US at the Washington Coliseum. Over 350 police surrounded the stage to keep the 8,000 plus screaming fans in control. One police officer who found the noise so loud stuck a bullet in each ear as ear plugs. The Beatles had to stop three times and turn Ringo's drum kit around and re-position their microphones so that they faced a different part of the audience. The set list: ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘From Me to You’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’, ‘Twist and Shout’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’.

1967 - The Monkees
The Monkees set a new record when their second album, More Of The Monkees jumped from No.122 to the top of the US chart. The album then stayed in pole position for eighteen weeks.

1972 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin scored their third US Top 20 hit single with 'Black Dog / Misty Mountain Hop', peaking at No.15, and taken from their fourth album. The song's title is a reference to a nameless black Labrador retriever that wandered around the Headley Grange studios during recording. Robert Plant recorded his vocal for the track in two takes.

1973 - The Rolling Stones
A local charity raised over £500 ($850) selling bedsheets and pillowcases used by The Rolling Stones after a show at Western Springs Stadium in Auckland, New Zealand.

1977 - David Bowie
David Bowie released 'Sound and Vision' as a single, which was taken from his latest album Low. 'Sound and Vision' was used by the BBC in the UK on trailers at the time, providing considerable exposure, much needed as Bowie opted to do nothing to promote the single himself, and helped the song to No.3 on the UK charts.

1978 - Brotherhood Of Man
The Brotherhood Of Man were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Figaro', the group's third and last UK No.1.

1985 - The Police
The Police won Outstanding Contribution to British music at the fourth annual Brit Awards held in London. Other winners included Prince for best International Act and Best Soundtrack for Purple Rain, British Single was Frankie Goes To Hollywood 'Relax', British Video was Duran Duran for 'Wild Boys', British Comedy Recording Neil 'Hole In My Shoe', British Album went to Sade for 'Diamond Life', British Male Solo Artist was won by Paul Young, British Female Solo Artist, Alison Moyet and Best British Group went to Wham!

1987 - The Smiths
The Smiths were at No.1 in the UK indie charts with 'Shoplifters Of The World Unite.' The title alludes to the communist slogan "Workers of the world, unite!", and the 1966 David and Jonathan hit 'Lovers of the World Unite'. The photograph on the sleeve is of a young Elvis Presley.

1989 - Paula Abdul
Paula Abdul started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Straight Up', the first of three No.1's in 1989, a No.3 hit in the UK.

1998 - Bernie Taupin
The hand-written lyrics to 'Candle in the Wind' by Bernie Taupin were auctioned off at Christie's in LA for £278,512.

2000 - Geri Halliwell
Spice Girls Geri Halliwell appeared in court to give evidence over the dispute with Aprille Motorcycles. The company were suing the Spice Girls for £1.6 million ($2.72 million) over lost advertising as sponsors for the 1998 Spiceworld World tour.

2003 - British Phonographic Industry
The British Phonographic Industry reported its biggest sales decline in decades, with the biggest slump in a single year since the birth of the CD market in the early 1980s. Piracy, illegal duplication and distribution by international criminals of CD's were all blamed for the decrease.

2008 - Paul McCartney
Heather Mills and Sir Paul McCartney appeared at the High Court in London for a hearing to reach a financial settlement for their divorce. The hearing in the Family Division, which was taking place in private, was expected to last five days. The couple, who had a four-year-old daughter, Beatrice, announced the end of their four-year marriage in 2006. There had been speculation among divorce experts, based on recent cases, that the settlement could reach £60m.

2009 - Ronettes
Ronettes singer Estelle Bennett died at her home in Englewood, N.J. She was 67. The 60s girl group best known for their work with producer Phil Spector had the 1963 hit 'Be My Baby' which epitomized the famed "wall of sound" technique.

2012 - Whitney
Whitney Houston was found dead in suite 434 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, submerged in the bathtub. Beverly Hills paramedics arrived at approximately 3:30 p.m. and found the singer unresponsive and performed CPR. Houston was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. Local police said there were "no obvious signs of criminal intent." It was later ruled by the coroner to have been an "accidental drowning"

2014 - Queen
Queen made UK chart history by becoming the first act to sell six million copies of an individual album. Their first Greatest Hits collection, which includes the hits 'We Will Rock You' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' had extended its lead after being Britain's highest-selling album for several years. The Official Charts Company said one in three British families now owned a copy of the 1981 compilation.

2020 - Paul English
American drummer Paul English died after a bout of pneumonia age 87. He was Willie Nelson's long-time drummer and was the titular "Paul" of the Willie Nelson album Me and Paul as well as the title track of that album. English also had a role in Nelson's movie Red Headed Stranger (1986).

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1935 - Gene Vincent
Gene Vincent, (born Eugene Craddock), US rock ‘n’ roll singer with His Blue Caps who had a 1956 US No.7 & UK No.16 single with ‘Be Bop A Lula’. Vincent died on October 12th 1971.

1939 - Gerry Goffin
Gerry Goffin, American songwriter of over 20 US hits with his then wife Carol King, including The Shirelles 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow', The Drifters 'Up On The Roof', The Chiffons, 'One Fine Day', Herman's Hermits, 'I'm Into Something Good'. Goffin died on 19th June 2014 at the age of 75 in Los Angeles. After he and King divorced, Goffin wrote with other composers, including Barry Goldberg and Michael Masser, with whom he wrote 'Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)' and 'Saving All My Love for You', also No.1 hits. During his career Goffin wrote over 114 Billboard Hot 100 hits, including eight chart-toppers, and 72 UK hits.

1940 - Bobby Pickett
Bobby 'Boris' Pickett, who had the 1962 US No.1 & 1973 UK No.3 single 'The Monster Mash'. The song was a spoof on the dance crazes popular at the time, including the Twist and the Mashed Potato. Pickett died of leukemia at the age of 69 on April 25th 2007.

1941 - Sergio Mendes
Sergio Mendes, Brazilian singer, who had the 1983 US No.4 & UK No.45 single 'Never Gonna Let You Go'.

1942 - Otis Clay
Otis Clay, American R&B and soul singer, who started in gospel music. He recorded the original version of 'The Only Way Is Up' in 1980 which later became a chart-topping single for Yazz and the Plastic Population. Clay died on January 8, 2016.

1946 - Ray Lake
Ray Lake, singer with British soul group The Real Thing, who had the 1976 UK No.1 single 'You To Me Are Everything'.

1947 - Derek Shulman
Derek Shulman, Simon Dupree And The Big Sound who had the 1967 UK No.9 single 'Kites' and then became a member of Gentle Giant. He later became a successful record exec, signing Bon Jovi, Pantara, Nickelback and others.

1950 - Rochelle Fleming
Rochelle Fleming, singer, with First Choice who had the 1973 UK No.9 single 'Smarty Pants.

1953 - Alan Rubin
Alan Rubin, The Blues Brothers, who had the 1990 UK No.12 single 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love'.

1953 - Neil Henderson
Neil Henderson, guitarist from Scottish pop group Middle Of The Road, who had the 1971 UK No.1 single 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep', which is one of only a few singles to have sold in excess of 10 million physical copies.

1962 - Sheryl Crow
Sheryl Crow, US singer, songwriter, who had the 1994 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'All I Wanna Do', 1993 album 'Tuesday Night Music Club'. Crow worked as a backing singer on the Michael Jackson 'Bad' tour.

1969 - Andrew Lovell
Andrew Lovell, percussion, with English group M People, who had the 1993 UK No.2 single 'Moving On Up', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

1972 - Craig Jones
Craig Jones, American metal musician best known as the sampler and keyboardist in Slipknot, in which he chose #5. Jones joined the band in 1996.

1974 - D'Angelo
D'Angelo, (Michael Archer), who had the 1996 UK No. 21 single 'Lady'.

1977 - Mike Shinoda
Mike Shinoda, guitar, vocals, with Linkin Park, who had the 2002 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'In The End', and the 2002 US No.2 & 2001 UK No.4 album Hybrid Theory.

1979 - Brandy
Brandy, American singer, who had the 1998 US No.1 and UK No.2 single with Monica, 'The Boy Is Mine'.

1981 - Kelly Rowland
Kelly Rowland, singer with Destiny's Child who had the 2000 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Say My Name', and the 2001 US & UK No.1 single & album 'Survivor'. as a solo artist had the 2003 UK No.2 single 'Stole', and the 2002 US & UK No.1 single with Nelly 'Dilemma'. Rowland joined the judging panel on the eighth series of the British reality television competition The X Factor in 2011.

1984 - Aubrey O'Day
Aubrey O'Day, singer, with American girl group Dainty Kane, (formed on the MTV reality show Making the Band 3). They became the first female group in Billboard history to debut their first two albums at the top of the charts.

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for sharing today, @MOHLovesAlaska. 👍

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora  your welcome. I thank you for your interest and for your support. You take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

This Day In Music History for this Friday.

Post 1 of 2:

1956 - Dean Martin
Dean Martin was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Memories Are Made Of This'. The American actor, comedian, singer and TV hosts biggest hit. Also covered by The Everly Brothers, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra and The Drifters.

1961 - The Miracles
The Miracles' 'Shop Around' became Motown Record's first million-selling single. It was also the label's first No.1 hit on Billboard's R&B singles chart. In the following ten years, The Miracles would have six more million sellers.

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles returned to New York City by train from Washington, D.C. for two performances at Carnegie Hall. There was such a demand for tickets that some extra seating was arranged surrounding the stage. Tickets ranged from $1.65 to $5.50. (Side note) How nice it would be to see those prices again!!

1965 - Donovan
Pye Records announced that they'd signed 'the British Bob Dylan', when they added Donovan to the label. The Scottish singer-songwriter produced a series of hit albums and singles between 1965 and 1970 and became a friend of leading pop musicians including Joan Baez, Brian Jones and The Beatles. He influenced John Lennon when he taught him a finger-picking guitar style in 1968.

1967 - Keith Richards
15 police officers raided Redlands the West Sussex home of The Rolling Stone Keith Richards during a weekend party. The police who were armed with a warrant issued under the dangerous drugs act took away various substances for forensic tests. George and Pattie Harrison had been at the house, but it was said that the police waited for them to leave before they raided the house in order not to bust the holder of an MBE.

1969 - Amen Corner
'(If Paradise Is) Half As Nice' by Amen Corner was at No.1 on the UK singles chart, the group's only UK No.1. The song was first offered to The Tremeloes as a potential single, who rejected it.

1970 - John Lennon
John Lennon performed 'Instant Karma!' on BBC TV's Top Of The Pops, becoming the first Beatle to have appeared on the show since 1966. Lennon wrote, recorded, and mixed his new single, all in one day. It ranks as one of the fastest-released songs in pop music history. Lennon later stated, "I wrote it for breakfast, recorded it for lunch, and we're putting it out for dinner."

1972 - Al Green
Al Green went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let's Stay Together', his only US chart topper. It was ranked the 60th greatest song of all time by Rolling Stone magazine on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Tina Turner had a hit with the song in 1984.

1977 - The Police
The Police recorded their first single, 'Fall Out' for £150 ($255) at Pathway Studios, London, England.

1977 - Blondie, Tom Petty and the Ramones
Blondie, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and the Ramones all appeared at the Whisky a Go Go in Los Angeles, California.

1977 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd released their tenth studio album Animals in the US, where it reached No.3 in the charts. The album's cover image, a pig floating between two chimneys on Battersea Power Station, was conceived by bassist Roger Waters and realized by long-time design and photographic collaborators Hypnosis.

1989 - Aretha Franklin
Aretha Franklin lost a court case against Broadway producer Ashton Springer, who sued for $1 million (£0.58 million) when Aretha failed to turn up for rehearsals for the stage show Sing Mahalia Sing, blaming her fear of flying on the non appearance.

1997 - U2
U2 held a press conference in the Lingerie Department at the Greenwich Village Kmart store in Manhattan, New York City, to announce their Pop Mart world tour. The tour was set to start in Las Vegas on April 25th of this year.

2003 - John Densmore
Former Doors drummer John Densmore took out legal action against The Doors keyboard player Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger for breach of contract, trademark infringement and unfair competition. The band had reformed with Ex- Cult singer Ian Astbury and former Police drummer Stewart Copeland. Densmore said "It shouldn't be called The Doors if it's someone other than Jim Morrison singing."

2005 - Joe Strummer
The Class 47 locomotive 47828 was named after Clash frontman Joe Strummer at a ceremony in Bristol. The diesel train, owned by Cotswold Rail, was named after the singer/guitarist who died, aged 50, in 2002.

2007 - The Police
During a press conference at West Hollywood's Whisky a Go Go club Sting confirmed that The Police were getting back together. The band were set to kick off a world tour on May 28 in Vancouver, Canada, supported by Sting's son Joe Sumner's band, Fiction Plane.

2008 - Ronald Isley
Ronald Isley's appeal against a three-year jail term for tax fraud was rejected by a US court. The 65-year-old singer of the Isley Brothers argued against being imprisoned in an Indiana jail on the grounds of age and poor health. The court heard he cashed royalty checks belonging to his brother O'Kelly, who died in 1996 and spent millions of dollars made from undeclared performances on a yacht and two homes. Isley was ordered to pay more than $3.1m (£1.62m) to the US tax service for "pathological" evasion.

2009 - Madonna
A full frontal nude photo of Madonna taken in 1979 before she became famous, sold at auction for $37,500. The black and white picture was taken at a time when Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone was a 20-year-old dancer trying to make ends meet in New York.

2014 - Rock Music
It was reported that Rock music overtook pop in UK album sales during 2013, winning a bigger share of the market for the first time in five years. Rod Stewart's Time was the best-selling album to be classified as rock by the Official Charts Company, followed by Arctic Monkeys and Bastille. In total rock accounted for 33.8% of album sales, compared with 31% for pop, said industry body the BPI. However, pop records still held the lead in single sales.

2015 - Steve Strange
Welsh singer Steve Strange, (born Steven Harrington) lead singer of Eighties pop band Visage, died aged 55 following a heart attack in hospital in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. His band, Visage, formed in 1979 (with Rusty Egan and Midge Ure from Rich Kids, Billy Currie from Ultravox, and Barry Adamson, John McGeoch and Dave Formula from Magazine), and their breakthrough single, 'Fade To Grey', peaked at No.8 in the UK in 1981. Strange appeared in the video for David Bowie's No.1 hit ‘Ashes to Ashes’.

2017 - Adele
Adele was the biggest winner at The 59th Annual Grammy Awards with five trophies, including Album of the Year for 25, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year for 'Hello'. Adele also became the first artist in history to win all three general field awards in the same ceremony twice, previously winning all three categories in 2012. David Bowie won Best Rock Performance, Best Alternative Music Album, Best Rock Song and Best Recording Package for Blackstar.

2017 - Al Jarreau
American singer and musician Al Jarreau died of respiratory failure at the age of 76, just two days after announcing his retirement. During his career he received a total of seven Grammy Awards and is best known for his 1981 album Breakin' Away. He also sang the theme song of the late-1980s television series Moonlighting.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1915 - Lorne Greene
Lorne Greene, star of the NBC TV show Bonanza. He had a US No.1 single ‘Ringo’, which made him the second Canadian to have a US No.1 single, (a No.22 hit in the UK). Greene died on September 11th 1987.

1920 - Bill Pitman
American guitarist and session musician Bill Pitman. He played ukulele in the Academy Award-winning song 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head,' and as a session musician played on The Byrds hit 'Mr. Tambourine Man', 'Good Vibrations', The Beach Boys, 'Strangers in the Night', Frank Sinatra, 'Be My Baby', The Ronettes, 'Deep Purple' Nino Tempo & April Stevens and 'These Boots Are Made for Walkin'' Nancy Sinatra.

1928 - Vincent Montana Jr.
American composer, arranger and percussionist Vincent Montana Jr. best known as a member of MFSB and as the founder of the Salsoul Orchestra. He has been called "the Godfather of disco". He played on and arranged many tracks by The Intruders, The Delfonics, The Spinners, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The O'Jays, The Trammps, Eddie Kendricks, William DeVaughn, Billy Paul, Lou Rawls, The Stylistics, Teddy Pendergrass, and many others. He died on 13 April 2013 age 85.

1935 - Gene McDaniels
African-American singer and songwriter Gene McDaniels who scored the 1961 US No.3 hit 'A Hundred Pounds Of Clay'. Gene also wrote Roberta Flack's 1974 No.1 hit 'Feel Like Makin' Love' which won a Grammy Award. McDaniels died on July 29, 2011.

1939 - Ray Manzarek
Ray Manzarek, keyboards, with The Doors, who had the 1967 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Light My Fire' and the 1971 single 'Riders On The Storm'. Manzarek died on 20th May 2013, he had suffered from bile duct cancer for many years. He formed the band with lead singer Jim Morrison in 1965 after a chance meeting in Venice Beach, Los Angeles.

1942 - Rick Frank Jr.
Rick Frank Jr. drummer with Elephant's Memory who worked with John Lennon on his 1972 album 'Some Time In New York City.' In 1970, Elephant's Memory had a minor hit single with the song 'Mongoose' on Metromedia Records.

1945 - Joe Schermie
Joe Schermie, bassist with Three Dog Night, who had the 1970 UK No.3 & US No.1 single with a cover of the Randy Newman song 'Mama Told Me Not To Come'. The band scored 21 Billboard Top 40 hits (with three hitting No.1) between 1969 and 1975.

1949 - Stanley Knight
Stanley Knight, from American group Black Oak Arkansas, who had the 70s US No.1 radio hit single 'Jim Dandy To The Rescue'.

1950 - Steve Hackett
Steve Hackett, guitarist who had the, 1974 UK No.21 single 'I Know What I Like In Your Wardrobe', with Genesis who he quit in 1977 for solo work. Hackett co-founded the supergroup GTR with Steve Howe in 1986 and then returned to his solo career.

1951 - Vincent James
Vincent James, from British soul group Sweet Sensation who scored the 1974 UK No.1 and US No.14 single 'Sad Sweet Dreamer'.

1952 - Michael McDonald
Grammy Award winning American singer and songwriter Michael McDonald, who with The Doobie Brothers had the 1979 US No.1 single 'What A Fool Believes', and the 1993 UK No.7 single 'Long Train Runnin'. He began his career singing back-up vocals with Steely Dan and has also worked with Kenny Loggins, David Cassidy, Van Halen, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin and Toto.

1956 - Brian Robertson
Scottish rock guitarist Brian Robertson from Thin Lizzy appearing on five studio albums: Nightlife (1974), Fighting (1975), Jailbreak (1976), Johnny the Fox (1976), Bad Reputation (1977) and a live album Live and Dangerous (1978). Robertson later replaced "Fast" Eddie Clarke as the lead guitarist of Motorhead in May 1982 and also worked with Wild Horses.

1958 - Grant McLennan
Grant McLennan, bass, vocals, songwriter with Australian group The Go-Betweens as well as releasing four solo albums. In 2001 the Australasian Performing Right Association listed his composition 'Cattle and Cane' (1983), as one of their top 30 Australian songs of all time. McLennan died of a heart attack at the age of 48 at his home in Brisbane, Australia on 6 May 2006.

1959 - Neil Conti
Neil Conti, from English English pop band Prefab Sprout who had the 1988 UK No.7 single 'The King Of Rock 'n' Roll'.

1966 - Gary Whelan
Gary Whelan, drummer with Manchester group Happy Mondays, who had the 1990 UK No.5 single 'Step On'.

1966 - Paul Crook
Paul Crook, American guitarist, who has worked with Meat Loaf, Anthrax and Sebastian Bach.

1968 - Chynna Phillips
Chynna Phillips, singer with Wilson Phillips, who had the 1990 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Hold On'. Phillips is the daughter of Michelle Gilliam, from Mamas And The Papas.

1970 - Jim Creeggan
Jim Creeggan, bassist with Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies who scored the 1998 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'One Week'. The group has sold over 15 million records including albums and singles, and were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in March of 2018.

1978 - Brian Chase
Brian Chase, drummer, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, (2006 UK No. 18 single 'Gold Lion').

1980 - Gucci Mane
American rapper Gucci Mane. He helped pioneer the hip hop subgenre of trap music alongside fellow Atlanta-based rappers T.I. and Young Jeezy. He has worked with artists such as Drake, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Selena Gomez, Mariah Carey.

1981 - Lisa Hannigan
Lisa Hannigan, Irish singer with Damien Rice. Appeared on his 2003 album 'O' featuring the single 'Cannonball.'

1988 - Mike Posner
American singer-songwriter, Mike Posner. His 2016 single 'I Took a Pill in Ibiza' peaked in the top 10 on the charts in 27 countries around the world, including hitting No.1 in the United States and the UK.

MOHLovesAlaska

This Day In History Of Music for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - Frank Sinatra
Frank Sinatra launched his own record label, Reprise Records, in order to allow more artistic freedom for his own recordings. Hence, he garnered the nickname “The Chairman of the Board. One of the label’s founding principles under Sinatra’s leadership was that each artist would have full creative freedom, and at some point complete ownership of their work. Reprise later became the home of many influential US acts such as Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman and The Beach Boys.

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles released the double A sided single 'Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane' on Capitol Records in the US. The single spent 10 weeks on the chart peaking at No.1.

1967 - Monkees
The Monkees announced that from now on they would be playing on their own recordings instead of session musicians.

1969 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan recorded versions of 'Lay, Lady, Lay', at Columbia Recording Studios in Nashville, Tennessee. 'Lay Lady Lay' was originally written for the soundtrack of the movie Midnight Cowboy, but wasn't submitted in time to be included in the finished film. The song has gone on to become a standard and has been covered by numerous bands and artists over the years, including The Byrds, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, The Everly Brothers, Neil Diamond, Melanie, The Isley Brothers, Duran Duran, Hoyt Axton and Isaac Hayes amongst others.

1969 - Paul McCartney
A launch party was held for the release of Mary Hopkin's album Postcard at the Post Office Tower in London. Guests included Jimi Hendrix, Donovan and Paul McCartney with his new girlfriend Linda Eastman.

1970 - Black Sabbath
On this day, Friday the 13th, Black Sabbath released their debut self-titled studio album on Vertigo records in the UK. Peaking at No.8 on the charts, the album has been recognized as the first main album to be credited with the development of the heavy metal genre.

1971 - Osmonds
The Osmonds started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'One Bad Apple'. The group had been appearing on TV in the US from 1962, on the Andy Williams Show and then the Jerry Lewis show.

1972 - The Greasy Truckers Concert
The Greasy Truckers concert took place at the Roundhouse in London, featuring Man, Brinsley Schwarz and Hawkwind. The evening was recorded and released as a double vinyl album, in a limited edition of 20,000 which sold at just £1.50. The release rapidly sold out, becoming a collector's item.

1974 - David Bowie
David Bowie turned down an offer from the Gay Liberation group to compose 'the world's first Gay National Anthem.'

1976 - Elvis Costello
The 101'ers featuring Joe Strummer played at The Town Hall, Hampstead, London, and on the same night DP Costello, (Elvis Costello) played at The Half Moon, Putney, London supporting Vivian Stanshall.

1977 - Julie Covington
Julie Covington was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina', taken from the Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd-Webber musical Evita. Covington had been in the 1977 UK TV series based on an all female group called Rock Follies. Madonna had a hit with her version of the song in 1996.

1978 - Dire Straits
Dire Straits began recording their first album at Basing Street Studios, London. The whole project cost £12,500 ($21,250) to produce. The album which featured the group's breakthrough single 'Sultans of Swing' went on to enjoy a 132 week run on the UK chart. The inspiration for 'Sultans of Swing' came from Mark Knopfler witnessing a mediocre jazz band playing in the corner of a practically deserted pub. At the end of their performance, the lead singer came up to the microphone and announced that they were the "Sultans of Swing."

1980 - John Lydon
Police raided the home of former Sex Pistols John Lydon who greeted them waving a ceremonial sword, the only illegal item they found was a canister of tear gas, claimed to be for defense against intruders.

1982 - The Jam
The Jam became the first band since The Beatles to play two numbers on the same edition of Top Of The Pops when they performed 'A Town Called Malice', and 'Precious', their latest double A sided No.1.

1982 - Ronnie Van Zant
The marble slab was stolen from the grave of Lynyrd Skynyrd singer Ronnie Van Zant, police found it two weeks later in a dried up river bed.

1989 - Mick Fleetwood
This years Brit Awards was hosted by Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood in which just about everything went wrong - lines were fluffed and bands mis-cued onto the stage. Winners included Phil Collins who won British Male Solo Artist, British Female Solo Artist was Annie Lennox, Erasure won Best British Group, Best British Album went to Fairground Attraction for 'First Of A Million Kisses', British Breakthrough Act was Bros, Michael Jackson won International Male, International Female went to Tracey Chapman and U2 won Best International Group. This was the last year the show was broadcast live.

1993 - Patrick Waite
Founder member of Musical Youth, Patrick Waite died aged 24, of natural causes (hereditary heart condition), whilst awaiting a court appearance on drug charges. Best remembered for their successful 1982 single 'Pass the Dutchie', which became a No.1 hit around the world. It was a cover version of two songs: 'Gimme the Music' by U Brown, and 'Pass the Kouchie' by Mighty Diamonds, which deals with the recreational use of cannabis (kouchie being slang for a cannabis pipe).

1996 - Take That
Take That split up, the biggest band of the 90s announced their demise in front of the world's press at The Hilton in Manchester, the band had achieved 7 No.1 singles & 2 No.1 albums. They released one more single and a Greatest Hits album. (Take That reformed in 1996 and have now scored another 5 No.1 albums in the UK).

1997 - Michael Menson
Michael Menson of Rebel MC died from burns sustained in a racial attack aged 30. Lost on a street in North London, Menson was attacked twice. His tormentors were determined to burn him alive, throwing fuel at him, setting his back on fire. He suffered terrible burns and died 16 days later. Rebel MC had the 1989 UK No.3 single 'Street Tuff'.

1998 - Ian Brown
Police at Manchester Airport arrested former Stone Roses singer, Ian Brown after an incident during a flight from Paris. Brown was found guilty in August the same year and jailed for four months; British Airways also banned him from flying with the airline. Come Fly With Me.

2002 - Waylon Jennings
American country singer, songwriter Waylon Jennings died in his sleep after a lengthy fight with diabetes. He was bassist for Buddy Holly following the break-up of The Crickets. Released a series of duet albums with Willie Nelson in the late 1970s. Scored the 1980 US No.21 single 'Theme From The Dukes Of Hazzard', he was also the narrator on the television series. Member of The Highwaymen with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson.

2004 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin were awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year's Grammys. Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham all attended. Robert Plant did not, since he was working on a new album and tour.

2005 - George Michael
Readers of UK newspaper The Sun voted George Michael’s ‘Careless Whisper’ as the greatest British pop single of the past 25 years. Oasis came second with ‘Wonderwall’ and Kate Bush third with ‘Wuthering Heights’. The rest of the Top 10: No.4, Robbie Williams, ‘Angels’, No.5, The Jam, ‘Going Underground’, in equal 6th, Sex Pistols, ‘God Save The Queen’ and Joy Division, ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’, 7th was Queen, ‘We Are The Champions’, 9th, The Stone Roses, ‘Fool’s Gold’ and 10th The Undertones ‘Teenage Kicks’.

2007 - Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart was paid $1million when he performed at a billionaire's birthday bash. Stewart was booked to play a one-hour gig to help Steve Schwarzman celebrate his 60th birthday held at New York's Park Avenue Armory.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

2008 - Shakira
A fan paid $3,000 (£1,500) for a jeweled bra, which Shakira wore on her Oral Fixation world tour in 2007, in an auction for the pop star's children's charity. More than $60,000 (£30,700) had been raised so far, with one fan paying $14,100 (£7,200) to meet Shakira. The charity was currently building a school for poor children in the singer's home country, Colombia. Other items in the auction included a purple wig and Gibson guitar used in the video for Las De La Intuicion, which sold for $3,301 (£1,700), a shiny lavender skirt with turquoise and coral beading that Shakira wore while singing Hips Don't Lie on tour, fetched more than $1,076 (£550).

2010 - Dale Hawkins
American rock singer, songwriter, and rhythm guitarist Dale Hawkins died from colon cancer aged 73. He is best known for his recording of his swamp-rock classic, 'Susie Q.' recorded late in the rockabilly era in 1957. Hawkins later became a record producer and executive working with many artists including Michael Nesmith, Bruce Channel and Harry Nilsson.

2012 - Adele
Adele won all six categories she was nominated for at this years Grammy Awards. The British singer won song of the year for ‘Rolling In the Deep’, and also received Grammys for best pop solo performance for ‘Someone Like You’, best pop vocal album and album of the year for 21, and record of the year and best short form music video for ‘Rolling In the Deep’.

2013 - Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga was forced to postponed her world tour after sustaining an injury which left her unable to walk. The singer had severe inflammation of the joints, known as synovitis.

2016 - Viola Beach
All four members of English indie rock group Viola Beach, Kris Leonard (guitar and vocals), River Reeves (guitar), Tomas Lowe (bass guitar), and Jack Dakin (drums) along with their manager Craig Tarry, died in a car crash in Södertälje, Sweden. Witnesses said they saw the car fall through a gap on the E4 motorway bridge, which was open to let a boat pass. The band had played at the Where's the Music? festival in Norrköping the previous day. The band had been scheduled to support Blossoms on a tour of the UK and Ireland during February and March 2016.

2017 - Viola Beach
Arriva Buses launched five buses in the home town of Viola Beach in Warrington. Each vehicle had a picture of one of the band members and their manager. Arriva collaborated with the River Reeves Foundation, an organization founded by Reeves' family, to produce the vehicles, one of which would be a mobile recording studio. On 13 February 2016, the four band members and their manager, Craig Tarry, died in an incident on the E4 motorway bridge at Södertälje, southwest of Stockholm, Sweden.

1919 - Tennessee Ernie Ford
American recording artist and television host Tennessee Ernie Ford, who had a 1955 US No.1 & 1956 UK No.1 single with ‘Sixteen Tons’. It was Capitol Records’ first No.1 of the rock era. Ford died on October 17th 1991 age 72.

1920 - Boudleaux Bryant
Boudleaux Bryant, songwriter with his wife Felice. They wrote The Everly Brothers hits, ‘Bye Bye Love’, ‘All I Have To Do Is Dream’ and ‘Wake Up Little Susie’ as well as ‘Raining In My Heart’, which was a hit for Buddy Holly. Bryant died on June 25th 1987.

1942 - Peter Tork
Peter Tork, American musician with The Monkees who were brought together for an American TV series in 1966. They had the 1967 UK & US No.1 single 'I'm A Believer' plus other hits including 'Last Train to Clarksville', 'Pleasant Valley Sunday', and 'Daydream Believer'. Tork was diagnosed with a rare form of tongue cancer in 2009. He died on February 21, 2019 age 77.

1943 - Bill Szymczyk
American producer Bill Szymczyk best known for his work with the Eagles including Hotel California. Other hit singles he has produced include: Edgar Winter Group 'Frankenstein', Joe Walsh 'Rocky Mountain Way', Elvin Bishop 'Fooled Around and Fell in Love', and The Who's 'You Better You Bet'.

1945 - Roy **ahem**
English drummer Roy **ahem** who was a member of The Remo Four, Badger and Ashton, Gardner and **ahem** who had the 1971 UK No.3 single 'The Resurrection Shuffle'. He married Stacia Blake, a former dancer with Hawkwind.

1949 - Judy Dyble
English singer-songwriter Judy Dyble. She was a founding member of Fairport Convention and Trader Horne. In addition, she and multi-instrumental Ian McDonald joined and recorded several tracks with Giles, Giles and Fripp, who later became King Crimson. During Fairport's early live shows in London in the late 1960s Dyble shared stages with acts such as Jimi Hendrix, and Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd. Famously, she sat on the front of the stage at the Speakeasy Club knitting, while Hendrix and Fairport Convention guitarist Richard Thompson jammed. She died on 12 July 2020 age 71.

1950 - Peter Gabriel
English singer-songwriter, record producer Peter Gabriel, with Genesis who had the 1974 UK No.21 single 'I Know What I Like In Your Wardrobe'. Gabriel left Genesis in 1975 to launch his solo career and had the 1986 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Sledgehammer' from the 1986 UK No.1 & US No.2 album So. Gabriel has been a champion of world music for much of his career. He co-founded the WOMAD festival in 1982.

1950 - Roger Christian
Roger Christian, singer with English group The Christians who had the 1988 UK No.8 single 'Harvest For The World'. The name of the band refers to the surname of the three brothers that were originally in the line-up. He died on 8 March 1998 from brain tumor.

1951 - Rod Dees
Rod Dees, singer from English revival group Showaddywaddy who had the 1976 UK No.1 single with their version of 'Under The Moon Of Love'. Showaddywaddy spent 209 weeks on the UK Singles Chart, and had 10 Top Ten singles.

1952 - Ed Gagliardi
Ed Gagliardi, bassist with English-American rock band Foreigner, who scored the 1985 UK & US No.1 single 'I Want To Know What Love Is'. They are one of the world's best-selling bands of all time with worldwide sales of more than 80 million records.

1956 - Peter Hook
Peter Hook, bass, vocals, with Joy Division who had the 1980 UK No.13 single 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. Formed New Order, who had the 1983 UK No.9 single 'Blue Monday'. And with Revenge and Monaco, had the 1997 UK No.11 single 'What Do You Want From Me'.

1958 - Mark Fox
Mark Fox, percussion, with English group Haircut 100. The band had four UK Top 10 hit singles between 1981 and 1982, including 'Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)', 'Love Plus One' and 'Fantastic Day'.

1959 - Tony Butler
Tony Butler, bassist with Scottish rock band Big Country, who had the 1983 UK No.10 single 'Fields Of Fire' plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles. Butler has also worked with Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend and The Pretenders.

1961 - Henry Rollins
Henry Rollins, American singer, actor, presenter, comedian, and activist who was a member of Black Flag and fronted the Rollins Band. He has campaigned for various political causes in the United States, including the promotion of LGBT rights, World Hunger Relief, the West Memphis Three, and an end to all war.

1966 - Freedom Williams
Freedom Williams, singer with C+C Music Factory, who had the 1991 UK No.4 single 'Things That Make You Go Hmmm..., and the 1991 US No.1 single 'Gonna Make You Sweat'.

1971 - Sonia
Sonia, (Sonia Evans), who had the UK No.1 single in 1989 with 'You'll Never Stop Me Loving You.'

1972 - Robert Harrell
Robert Harrell, bassist, with 3 Doors Down, who had the 2003 US No.4 single 'When I'm Gone, 2005 US No.1 album 'Seventeen Days'.

1974 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams, vocalist with Take That who had the 1995 UK No.1 single with 'Back For Good' and seven other UK No.1 singles. He left to pursue a solo career and since then has had a 1998 UK No.1 single with 'Millennium' and six other UK No.1 singles. His 1997 UK No.1 album 'Life Thru A Lens' spent 123 weeks on the UK chart. Re joined Take That in 2010.

1988 - Aston Merrygold
Aston Merrygold, singer with English boy band JLS, who were the runners-up of the fifth series of The X Factor in the UK. Their first two singles 'Beat Again' and 'Everybody in Love' both went to No.1 on the UK singles chart.

MOHLovesAlaska