cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird And True Facts.

I will try and post one weird but true fact each weekday. Perhaps on a Saturday when I have some free time, like now. 

In 2014, a missing woman on a vacation in Iceland was found when it was discovered that she was in the search party looking for herself. (Source is from bu.edu website)

Apparently she never considered herself lost. 

Have a blessed weekend, take care and GOD bless. 

MOHLovesAlaska
155 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love that idea, @MOHLovesAlaska.

I hope you have a happy holidays, and an amazing new year.

Thanks so much for the constant positivity and joy you bring to our community day in and day out! 

Happy Christmas Eve dear friend, and here are a couple of weird and true facts about Christmas. I will post the last three for this Christmas Season. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year dear friend...

1). The record-holder for having the most Christmas number 1 singles is The Beatles. They had 4 songs topping the charts in 1963, 1964, 1965, and 1967. On the other hand, The Spice Girls and Cliff Richard each have 3.

2). The tallest Christmas tree stood high at 221 feet. Claiming a Guinness record, people saw the Douglas fir at the Northgate Shopping Center in Seattle, Washington in 1950.

3). “Jingle Bells” was originally “One Horse Open Sleigh.” James Pierpont composed this song in Massachusetts as a Thanksgiving song. Astronauts Tom Stafford and Wally Schirra sang it into the first song sung in space on December 15, 1965.

Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Very interesting! I'm glad Jingle Bells turned into a Christmas song. 😂

Thanks for the holiday-themed facts this season, @MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday morning dear friend, welcome to weird and true facts. Here is one about New Year's.

If you live on the island of Kiribati in the Central Pacific, you get to ring in the New Year first. Citizens of American Samoa are the last to celebrate New Year’s Eve. (Source comes from www.funfactsabout.com/fun-facts-about-new-year/).

Have a great day, take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday afternoon dear friend, welcome to Weird and True Facts. This once again is on the topic of New Years. 

The ball drop started because fireworks were banned. The first ball in 1907 was 700 pounds and was lit with 100 25-watt lights. ( Source comes from 22 Awesome Facts about New Year’s Eve | Fact City)

Have a great Friday friend, take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday afternoon dear friend, here is another weird and true fact about New Year's.

Historically, New Year’s Eve was not December 31st. Ancient Romans celebrated New Year in March. Also, the Chinese New Year changes every year based on the cycle of the moon. (Source comes from 30 FUN Facts About New Year That Will Amaze You!)

Have a great day friend, take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday afternoon friend, welcome to weird and true facts about New Year's. 

Forty-five percent of Americans make New Year’s resolutions. The top resolutions are: to lose weight, get organized, spend less and save more, stay fit and healthy, and quit smoking. While nearly half of all Americans make resolutions, 25 percent of them give up on their resolutions by the second week of January.

Have a great Thursday, take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday afternoon dear friend, here is another weird and true fact about New Year's. 

If you hear plates breaking in Denmark on New Year’s Eve, it’s considered good luck.

The Danes hold a tradition of throwing plates at the front door of family and friends’ homes to welcome good fortune for the new year. (Source comes from 35 Things You Never Knew About New Year's - New Year Fun Facts (goodhousekeeping.com)

If ever you're in Denmark visiting during the New Year be sure you're not standing next to the front door. 

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Hopefully they ring the doorbell first so that you don't accidentally open the door while they are throwing plates. 🤣

Good Monday afternoon, welcome to Weird and True Facts. Sticking with the New Year theme until the end of the month.

The Finns do it the weirdest...In Finland, each new year family and friends gather to burn metal in a pan for a ritual called "molybdomancy". The Finns inspect the shadows the metal casts by candlelight, as those shapes are supposed to predict the future. Although, this metal is customarily called “tin,” it’s sometimes lead, which, among other things, is known to spark severe mental illness... that might explain why this ritual has persisted for hundreds of years. And while that's all pretty well and weird, the Finns aren't alone: Ecuadorians burn paper-filled scarecrows, the Swiss drop ice cream on the floor, and people in Siberia plunge into frozen lakes while carrying a tree trunk -- all to ring in the new year. (Source comes from 10 Things You Didn't Know About New Year's - Thrillist).

Have a great Monday friend, take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday morning dear friend, here is another weird and true fact about New Year's.

The confetti dropped in Times Square is holding secret messages.

The confetti in Times Square has thousands of people's wishes written on them. In 2015 "wishfetti" became a part of the tradition. People write their wishes for the new year and submit them to the Wish Wall in Times Square (or online) and those wishes are turned into the confetti that falls over the crowd at midnight.

Have a great day, take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Oh wow, I had no idea. 

Thanks for sharing!

@AdamPandora I was amazed just like you were, I also had no idea until I read about it while searching for weird and true facts about New Year's. Thanks as always dear friend for your support as well as your reply. Have a great day take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday morning dear friend, welcome back to weird and true facts. This fact has to do with the month of March. 

Julius Caesar changed the Roman calendar in March 44 BC. 

March 44 BC saw a major power play by Julius Caesar, as he took control of time by changing the Roman calendar. With a stroke of his pen, he added ten days to the year and shifted the start of the year from the end of March to January 1st, cementing his place in history as a ruler who not only conquered lands but also manipulated the very fabric of time. (Source comes from 25 Fun Facts About March That will Blow Your Mind (2024 Facts) - Amazing Facts Home).

Have a wonderful Friday and a blessed weekend. Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday afternoon dear friend, welcome to weird and true facts...

The “Windy City” nickname for Chicago originates in March.

March blows in with a gust of history, as the “Windy City” nickname for Chicago takes flight. With its famously blustery winds, the city earned this moniker in the late 1800s, and it has been a staple of its identity ever since. So hold on to your hats, because when you’re in Chicago in March, you’re in for a wild ride! (Source comes from https://www.amazingfactshome.com/fun-facts-about-march/)

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska I've only been to Chicago in the summer time, and it was super hot and humid.

I'd like to take a trip back in March now so I can experience the wind you described. 

Good Thursday afternoon dear friend, here is another weird and true fact about March with a little twist...

March and June, which is the 6th month of the calendar, share an interesting quirk. The end of those two months falls on the same day, every year. (Source comes from 14 Mad Facts about March | Fact City

Have a blessed day my friend, take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Oh wow. My birthday is in June and I never noticed that!

Good Friday afternoon dear friend, here is another weird and true fact about March, with another twist...

The Equinoxes

There are only two moments each year when neither pole points toward the Sun, and the Sun lies directly above Earth’s equator. These moments are the equinoxes. The March equinox happens sometime between March 19 and 21. The September equinox occurs sometime between September 21 and 24. In the Northern Hemisphere, the March equinox is also known as the spring or vernal equinox; the September equinox can be called the fall or autumnal equinox. In the Southern Hemisphere, the names are the other way around. On the date of the equinox, at any location, the lengths of day and night are roughly equal. It is one of the rare times that the North shares the same common factor as the South...(Source comes from The Equinoxes and the Solstices (timeanddate.com))

Have a blessed Friday and a wonderful weekend...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Speedcuber
Diamond in the Rough

Cool, my birthday is in the September equinox.