cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which genre is most popular and influential?

Sakavelli
Local Performer

Is rap the most popular and influential part of your life๐Ÿซฃ

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (4)
3 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

When it comes to music, I think all genres are influential and inspiring to me. 

I think pop music and rap are two popular genres. Which genre is most influential to you, @Sakavelli?

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week:New Music: Picks of the Week (09.02.24)

@Sakavelli I agree with @AlyssaPandora that "ALL" genre has an influential impact on the music world and everyday life...I will give you two examples of what I mean..."The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is a 1976 hit song written, composed, and performed by the Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot to memorialize the sinking of the bulk carrier SS Edmund Fitzgerald along with its 29 crew members in Lake Superior on November 10, 1975. Lightfoot considered this song to be his finest work. That genre is folk-rock, soft-rock, progressive-rock...

The other song has been a hit song as well as a hit movie "Coal Miner's Daughter" is a song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Loretta Lynn. Considered Lynn's signature song, it was originally released as a single in 1970 and became a number-one hit on the Billboard Country chart. It was later released on an album of the same name. Lynn, who was born in 1932 and experienced the Great Depression as a child, also describes her childhood and the circumstances she was raised in during those years. "Coal Miner's Daughter" would receive positive reviews from journalists and music critics alike following its release. It would become one of Lynn's signature recordings in her career. It would also be considered one of music's most significant recordings, according to polls from Time and the Recording Industry of America. The song recounts the day-to-day life of her childhood growing up in rural poverty in Butcher Hollow, Kentucky In the lyrics, Lynn describes herself as the daughter of a coal-mining father. She recounted how her father also worked as a farmer growing corn. Along with her father, Lynn also wrote about her mother and how she worked tirelessly on household duties such as cleaning and washing. Subsequent verses recall Lynn's other childhood experiences and hardships, such as her mother reading the Bible by a coal-oil light or having bloody fingers from constantly doing the laundry using a washboard. Decades later, Lynn revealed that the song only hinted at other childhood experiences. "The song doesnโ€™t tell half of it. If I told the whole story nobody would believe it now anyway. Even pop artists have taken Mrs. Lynn's song and put a twist of their own on it most notably Sheryl Crowe. 

Have a blessed day...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska

Ronnie3
Local Performer

I listen to many genres of music, but the largest chunk of my personal listening has been to classical music.  I don't know how many Pandora members are CM connoisseurs, there is certainly a very rich catalog of classical repertory available but I lament that Pandora's CM radio stations sometimes don't distinguish between major composers (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi) and middle-of-the-road "mood music" that's not classified as classical. I've had stuff like Mantovani and Mancini pop up in some sessions where I anticipated Mozart.  CM is what I'd classify as influential and inspirational, even if it's only about 1% of music streams. Jazz and contemporary Christian worship music are also meaningful to me, along with a smattering of '60s through '80s rock and pop.  FYI Pandora's Contemporary Christian Radio and Classic Country Radio channels are exceptionally awesome!