cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Connect via the Elpis Application

RichAI
Local Performer

I have been successfully using Elpis for several years, but for the last two days it hangs when trying to verify my account.  I still can successfully log into Pandora.com via Firefox.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @RichAI. 👋

Thanks for writing in about this, and sorry for any confusion. Unfortunately, this is an unauthorized third-party application, and using it is a violation of our Terms of Use. You can view our Terms of Use here.

You can stream Pandora for free at our website.

You can also use our Pandora Desktop application: Installing the Pandora Desktop App

Hope to see you around the Pandora Community space more often. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @RichAI. 👋

Thanks for writing in about this, and sorry for any confusion. Unfortunately, this is an unauthorized third-party application, and using it is a violation of our Terms of Use. You can view our Terms of Use here.

You can stream Pandora for free at our website.

You can also use our Pandora Desktop application: Installing the Pandora Desktop App

Hope to see you around the Pandora Community space more often. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

MRL_Pndr
Local Performer

Well that's too bad since it's a significantly better experience then the Pandora Desktop app.  Disappointed.

MusicFan0134
Underground

I completely agree with MRL_Pndr.  Pandora had the opportunity to eliminate any unauthorized third-party application by providing a reasonably competitive application themselves.  Most of us would rather not have to dig up, install, and support a third-party app when there is a credible alternative supported by Pandora.

Instead we have this desktop, er, thing.   Sort of works - but really provides little benefit not already supplied by the web page.  Makes one wonder why they bother putting it out there.

Friends keep pushing me to Spotify and Last.fm.  I have to admit the short-sighted attitude shown in Pandora's response here is pushing me as well.

tommyjon
Underground

Good to know, I too have been with Pandora Plus for 10+ Years, but because of this recent programming banning Elpis, I too am quitting Pandora in search of another Service. I liked the Smaller Elpis interface. Bye Bye Pandora. Cancelled today. 6-9-21

MRL_Pndr
Local Performer

After a long run with Pandora I too am moving on.  Signed up for a Spotify account a couple weeks back.  Once I figure my way around there I'll be closing my Pandora account and losing the kludge desktop app from Pandora.

don2737
Underground

I really liked Elpis too.  I don't think I was breaking any rules, I have a paid subscription.  My main desktop that runs pandora has windows 7, so I can't run the app from the Windows store.  It really has no advantages over the browser player anyway.  But elpis was simple, easy to navigate, basic, and worked really well.  Why  did you break it?

tommyjon
Underground

There greed broke it, They reprogrammed their software sometime in May, Glad to hear other users have had enough, I was a "Die Hard" Pandora user as I joined in the early days of streaming music. Pandora is not like they were and is not innovating its weak interface.

tommyjon
Underground

Pandora was awesome back in 2008-2012, Everyone I know used it, but as we go into the 2020s, Pandora is going to become a fading memory. This thread resulted in at least 3-4 people quitting their subscriptions alone. I have been paying them since 2011! I cancelled after Alyssa let us know they don't care anymore.

TeQuilYa
Local Performer

Sorry to see the smaller interface of elpis gone, but the desktop client seems to work passably for me.  Unlike the chromecast, firestick and roku versions at least the louder-than-everything-else volume of the desktop app can be lowered.  If I resize the desktop app to just a bit taller than its smallest size and move it behind some other windows it works ok.  It helps that the media controls of my keyboard work even if pandora is in the background.

One request: Please have the desktop app remember my window placement when it is reopened.

Separate request for roku/firestick/chrometv apps:  please allow me to adjust the volume of the app in relation to others.  I just stopped using pandora on those devices altogether, it is jarring that pandora's volume seems double or triple any other app (ie: I was comparing to hulu and disneyplus on those devices).

0 Kudos

jimmut
Local Performer

This stinks! First you killed the awesome Pandora One App and now you killed Elpis, the only remaining way to actually enjoy Pandora on a PC. The Windows APP is horribly bloated and I don't want to use a website.

I too don't know how much longer I will remain a member either. Been a paying customer with you for a LONG long time....

BreeMoontide
Local Performer

I used to use Elpis to get the global windows media key for pause/play to work. While the trash official desktop app doesn't support it, luckily the pause/play key works in in a pinned browser tab (at least on Firefox).

At least that's something for now...

0 Kudos

MusicFan0134
Underground

Yes, the media keys Are done right. 

However, I am finding that the Pandora Windows 10 app is regularly my highest resource user - even when it is paused!!  So in addition to no longer having thumbs-up/down keys, I'm regularly restarting the app to make it behave.  Add to it, creating or modifying a station based on songs or artists is much less intuitive than Elpis was (I just figured it out - I think...   But I'm still trying to figure out how to delete one).

So, like many of us, I'm driven to Spotify as it can "Like Pandora, you can create a radio station so that Spotify plays recommended music based on your initial interest."  This way I can join the rest of my clan and friends and easily share music suggestions with them instead of hearing the exasperated "You and your Pandora, get with the program!"  I used to defend what I thought was the better option - but that rug has been pulled out from underneath me.

Funny thing, I was on Lifewire looking for alternatives - https://www.lifewire.com/top-free-music-apps-1357073 - and the pictures in the review of Pandora there look a lot better than what I have downloaded.  Looks like Pandora did a downgrade here.

0 Kudos

mistercatworks
Local Performer

Too bad.  If you would just implement a scrobbling API that last.fm can use, people would not be disappointed.

0 Kudos

MusicFan0134
Underground

Just found something helpful - Pandora's windows client CPU usage can be greatly reduced by staying OFF the Now Playing, My Collection, and even Browse screens.  For instance, my CPU usage goes down from 6-8% down to 2-3% if I bring up My Profile. The Desktop Windows Manager process goes from 4%-1% as well.  And yes, there is actually a noticeable performance difference on my old laptop (Lenovo X1 series 6 - not a slouch).  Almost 10% of the machine is getting lost to a task that Elpis used only 1-2% for.  

I suspect it is the silly animations that run on the main screens - even in background, even when PAUSED (for Pete's sake) - that is chewing up so many resources.  Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to turn that off.

I'm still in the market for a real solution coming from Pandora. But based on the responses so far, I canceled my subscription.  Face it, the Amazon Music client is a bit better behaved, the music 'stations' are similar, and I get it as part of Prime.  

Pandora - first one out with a fantastic way to discover wonderful music and perform it on multiple platforms.  But unwilling to stay competitive by supplying a quality client to access it with.

0 Kudos

tedeumgloria
Local Performer

Cannot get Pandora client from Microsoft Store.  Apparently Pandora has abandoned all support. This is now just a platform that takes peoples subscription fees without providing any support. Don't expect it to be around much more. The simple elegance of having used elpis was an amazing asset. Now the web is clunky, does not work under multiple circumstances. The Pandora app can no longer be downloaded.  Abandon ship all ye who enter here ...  Sadly all that was curate at Pandora was such a big waste of time in the end!

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @tedeumgloria. 👋

Our support team is always happy to help.

Please note, Elpis is an unauthorized third-party application and is not support by Pandora as indicated in the solution of this thread.

Pandora Desktop App for Windows 10:

We do offer a Pandora Desktop application.  The new Pandora desktop app for Windows requires a minimum of Windows 10. Windows 10 is a free upgrade for any Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 user, depending on hardware compatibility. You can find more information on how to update your OS here.

Downloading any app from the Windows Store will require that you have a Microsoft account and password. The email address and password for your Microsoft account may be different than those on your Pandora account.

++

Installing the Pandora Desktop App:

You can find the Pandora app in the Windows Store on your device. Search for Pandora in the upper right corner and click Get to install.

I hope this helps clarify. 🎧

0 Kudos