Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Add Lossless audio

Ideas: Add Lossless audio

eldogo
Underground

Hi,

Apple Music to add lossless audio for no added cost. Definitely Pandora needs to bump up the audio quality now to complete with the other music streaming services.

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (3)
29 Comments
Pjd813
Underground

The major downside to almost every streaming solution is degradation of sound quality in favor of stable streaming transmission efficiency and massive storage capacity. That’s how streaming became practical. Streaming capabilities have progressed by orders of magnitude since Napster. The ability to transmit lossless files should not be the exception anymore. It should not be a paid premium “feature” either but since I’m paying I feel I deserve better sound quality than I’m getting now. I also deserve the ability to tailor the sound with a real 7 to 11 band EQ. We are no longer talking major technical or hardware feats. The low-mid-high tone “adjustments” in my car are laughable. The placement of my Bluetooth speaker in my bathroom is too boomy. Yes, send a perfect representation of the sound to me and then let me customize it. This is an extension of why I use Pandora and not other services. Your suggestion algorithms are fantastic - and they are a great platform that I use for customization when I create my own “lunk headed rock”, “My R&B” stations and others. I don’t like “curation”. I don’t use any pre-set Pandora stations. I don’t want EQ pre sets I want a fully functional 7 or 11 band EQ and lossless files.

darkdevil19881
Underground

I would really like to see a improved sound quality. The most popular streaming services are adding already lossless ( or should be available soon ) 

So I hope Pandora will at it soon to! 

Afterword
Underground

Whelp. Amazon offered me $5 in credit to listen to just ONE track.

I listened to Cornfield Chase from Interstellar. Then Mountains from the same soundtrack.

Compared the two to Pandora.

Sorry. I love Pandora. Most of my favorite music has been recommended to me by Pandora. I have literally thousands of likes and dislikes on Pandora.

But the difference of lossless audio... I had no idea. NO CLUE. I can't do this. I'm out. 

The difference is amazing. I'll be back to Pandora once it adds lossless audio. Until then, I'm afraid I'm on the way out.

This makes me sad. It's after more than 10 years and more than 9,300 hours of music. Thanks for the music.

Pjd813
Underground
I wish that Pandora would just understand that lossless audio should be the baseline product, especially for the paid service. Their suggestion engine is absolutely the best but we all deserve a better listening experience.
Pete D.
adcom1107
Local Performer

I am sure this has been cover at length but I have been waiting for Pandora to announce an upgrade to lossless audio. I have tried and still have multiple streaming services and i would dump them all if Pandora were to make that switch. I love the interface, the music selection algorithm and the overall ease of use but I find myself listening more to Apple Music because it just sounds better though my car and home system. I will hold onto my Pandora Plus until they switch but will immediately upgrade if they make the switch.

jnc2000
Local Performer

It's 2022... I'm not sure why this hasn't been on the executive's paybook... Losses will continue to accelerate until they decide to do something about this. To truly be competitive in this space you have to be innovative. Music Genome is great, but will only get you so far - and as it looks right now customers are voting with their wallets. 

"Pandora’s monthly active users (MAUs) ended 2020 at 58.9 million, down from 63.5 million at the end of 2019."

https://deadline.com/2021/02/siriusxm-swings-to-q4-loss-976-pandora-charge-revenue-up-6-1234685339/

adcom1107
Local Performer
Like I said. If pandora goes lossless, I will immediately upgrade my account to premium.
CannyScott
Opening Act

Yes, I also have to say that I tried lossless on Amazon and was blown away by the difference. I will come back immediately if Pandora will greatly increase the quality because the music discovery is by far the best on Pandora, but the quality is the lowest of the majors and it is noticeable. 

djtoneystone
Local Performer

Please start providing lossless tracks

djtoneystone
Local Performer

Please start providing lossless tracks or at least 320kps MP3