cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

bjoyce2
Opening Act

New Feature Idea: Create Rules about what bands you never want to hear.  If I select a Genre but there are certain bands I never want to hear, there should be a way to create a rule. i.e. I select the 70's Rock Genre but I never want to hear any music from Sting, Rush, Styx, Journey, Kiss, etc.  then allow me to create a rule eliminating them fron the selection algorithm.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
175 Comments
UncleBud
Chart Topper

@Pete4 I do agree that you should be able to listen to Dean Martin without having to listen to Spacey. 

hbhbhb
Local Performer

Yes! I just had a song play by an artist who has extremely problematic views. I don't want that person getting $$ from plays on my stations on Pandora and would like to prevent his stuff from ever being played on my account. Thumbsing down every time I hear his stuff is more effort than it should take to just say "don't play me anything by this particular artist ever".

jadoti
Local Performer

This is 12 pages of "we don't give a **ahem**" from Pandora.  Sad.

CarolinaSteve
Local Performer

Pandora is right leaving well enough alone.  Hold strong against the cancel culture actors who will ban artists in droves simply because the artists are guilty of holding an "unjustifiable" opinion.  

dsnyder
Local Performer

Some of you are missing the point of this thread.

Pandora has a feature to thumbs down an artist, it doesn't work. This thread is going on how many years now? It's still not been fixed.

Most of us don't want to cancel an artist because of their opinions we want to turn them off because they suck, and/or don't belong in the station that's been crafted. 

CarolinaSteve
Local Performer

The thumbs-down on two tracks from a non-station-defining-artist bans the artist from the station feature, if it ever fully existed does not seem to exist now.  Thumb rules: https://help.pandora.com/s/article/Thumbs-1519949305945?language=en_US.   

If there is another feature to thumbs-down an artist, I cannot find it.

twstdlttlsistr
Local Performer
That's not the point or goal at all, banning anyone based on their views or
whatever. I just don't want to listen to some artists because I don't like
their music. I'm paying for the app so I should be able to block out bands
and artists I don't want to listen to. Thumbs down doesn't work. Pandora
should give us the option to remove people we don't want!
dsnyder
Local Performer

You're right @CarolinaSteve . When I added my initial comment, seems so long ago now, Pandora help page originally said <multiple thumbs down on the same artist would block that artist from only that station> or something worded similar to such. The feature wasn't working at the time and instead of fixing it they have since edited the help page. 😁

jadoti
Local Performer

I disagree @CarolinaSteve , "Cancel culture" would be demanding Pandora remove an artist from Pandora because of [insert whatever reason here].  That's not what we're asking for.  We're asking for the ability to curate the music we listen to on a music subscription app that we pay for, nothing more. 

Thumbs down does not give Pandora enough information as to why I don't like the song, just that I don't like this particular song.  Thumbs down on two of an artist's songs  shouldn't necessarily mean don't play this artist ever again, it very well may mean I just don't like these songs of theirs.  Just want a distinct way to say "don't play this artist"

Pete4
Local Performer

Let me clarify something, since I'm the one who brought this back up a couple weeks ago:

The issue isn't "cancel culture."  The issue isn't whether or not Kevin Spacey is a despicable human being.

The issue is DATA INTEGRITY.  I "thumbs-upped" Dean Martin.  Two of Dean's  songs have Kevin Spacey hamming it up in the background, as if it were a duet.

The second issue is ROYALTY PAYMENT.  Kevin Spacey gets a royalty every time DEAN MARTIN'S song is played.  That's just wrong.

Why is Pandora slipping in the Kevin Spacey/Dean Martin duet?  Probably because IT'S CHEAPER than paying the royalty for the original Dean Martin recording.  The original song was probably on Capitol Records.  Then Dean recorded another version under Frank Sinatra's Reprise label so that he would get a bigger cut.  And now we get Spacey horning in.  

So what we're listening to is a COPY of A COPY of A COPY.  And there's absolutely NO WAY of filtering it out if we like Dean Martin.  Thumbs down those two songs, and you probably lose Dean from your playlists altogether.

Unethical?  You decide.