cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Higher Audio Quality

Ideas: Higher Audio Quality

pboser
Underground

How about higher audio quality?  Amazon has introduced this feature, and others have been ahead of Pandora as well.  It would be great to have the Genome Project advantage with higher audio quality.  Do others agree?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
284 Comments
Bri-an
Underground

Looks like there is still hope for high audio quality at Pandora per @TannerPandora.

"We are constantly testing and evaluating what the right rates are for each setting level and do plan to migrate our high audio quality to 320kbps AAC over time."

https://community.pandora.com/t5/Subscriptions/Pandora-Plus-vs-Premium/m-p/35576/highlight/true#M711...

KevinEyewanders
Local Performer

@Bri-an Sorry, but that response from Tanner in the link (from Sept this year) is literally, verbatim, the same response I've received from Pandora reps regarding this issue since asking every 2 years or so starting around 2011, both in this forum and in direct email correspondence. And, that is always where the conversation ends. Word for word, the same response for nearly a decade.

(And regarding Amazon, I understand, but personally it's not just philosophical for me; I cannot stand their UI, and they are simply not a music-oriented business. They're a data mega-warehouse, leveraging the questionable practices they've employed for ages now.)

Bri-an
Underground

@KevinEyewanders Wow, that's disheartening. I thought since it was from a couple months ago, it might have had some momentum. Thanks for the insight.

I've been trying to get re-familiarized with the Amazon UI, it's not bad. For finding and listening to music on-demand -- it's nice, easy and the audio quality is great without question.

So far, Pandora still has viability because it's the only integrated app option on our Subaru's head unit. Trying to figure out why the Amazon Music app isn't showing up on my Android Auto on my other car. I'm sure a reinstall of apps or some troubleshooting will fix that.

Pandora radio stations still seems to be the way to go compared to Amazon Music "radio" stations -- music discovery.

KevinEyewanders
Local Performer

@Bri-an Ah, that's understandable. PA/Voice integration is entirely unimportant to me personally (I find, even today with good integrations, browsing and playing often takes longer than just doing it myself unless it's something very specific). I prefer Qobuz for their far less "billboard top" approach and incredible curation, in the form of "Panoramas" as they call them, which are really just editorial pieces on various artists, music genres, periods of time, etc. with matching playlists - a lot like music mag articles of days past but which play the music they speak to. 

Yeah, for "radio" I still do use Pandora's ad-supported tier. The "genome" algorithm is still great for me with as much play history as we have with Pandora for more than 15 years. I use Spotify's free tier as well just fill in the occasional Qobuz catalogue hole but that's becoming more infrequent. (I don't care for Spotify's UI either, but it's better to me than Amazon's). Deezer is still my favorite for 320kbps and/or Redbook CD quality FLAC (and just generally - their interface is really well done, but that's partially a matter of taste).

Bri-an
Underground

@KevinEyewanders I love the passion (for pro's and con's of each service and, of course for, good music) and all the personal experience you have with all the streaming services. Looks like I have a lot to learn. It's a shame that Pandora, as good as it is and as beloved as it is, isn't able to give us longstanding users what we are asking for... or at least a real timeline.

Again, I appreciate the insight on the other services.

KevinEyewanders
Local Performer

@Bri-an Pleasure. I do wish they'd come to the table again. Honestly, ever since they were acquired by SiriusXM the forthrightness and general involvement has plummeted. I've no real way to say whether that's directly related, but it doesn't seem far-fetched. At any rate, I've no idea why I'm showing up in these parts since I've been non-paying for almost exactly a year now (after nearly a decade and a half of giving them money and talking up their Premium service tier) ... and I guess I've just never bothered to unsubscribed from email notifications for a handful of threads here. 🙂 

Best to you, man. Happy listening, however you get it done.

chucktheapeman1
Local Performer

I have a approximately ten year old mid to high end receiver and good quality floor speakers.  So, wanted to hear Pandora through my system.  My son plug in a cheaper type blue tooth music adapter into my receiver and paired my phone with it.  Yes, I can now listen to pandora but, is there a way to get better sound quality out of my system?  Without breaking to bank? I been checking out reviews on Blue tooth  Audio Engine Bi receiver for approximately $190.00 "higher end"  and Dento BLT-HD for $100.00.  

Do i really need to spend that much on a Blue tooth device?  Can or would it be better to somehow connect the phone "hard-wire" to the receiver?  

Bri-an
Underground

@chucktheapeman1 You just want to listen to Pandora from the phone to your old receiver and wire is okay?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8KO2 (Doesn't have to be this model. You probably have one of these already lying around your house. Maybe the one you used to connect the Bluetooth receiver to the audio receiver is long enough?)

You would then using the phone's DAC to output from the 3.5mm headphone jack to your audio receiver's RCA inputs, which would sound as good if not better than Bluetooth.

If you wanted to be wireless, you could also cast Pandora from your phone to something like an Amazon Echo Dot which is connected to your receiver the same way as above. That would also sound as good if not better than Bluetooth.

That said, this whole thread has been about the actual quality of the audio being delivered from Pandora and not how to get higher audio quality from equipment nor setups.

JDForsyth
Local Performer

Hi Pandora,

Your algorithms are the best! That's why I am a plus subscriber and have been for many years, but PLEASE give us a lossless option!

I find myself using Pandora less and less frequently since joining tidal alongside you but I miss my Pandora stations! Easy fix... I am seriously willing to play like triple what I pay for lossless sound.  

Your move Pandora!

Bugplanet
Local Performer

Me too. I’d pay more for higher quality!!!