Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The device you are using to stream Pandora:
  • The name of the station where this occurred:
  • The name(s) of the artist(s):
  • The title(s) of the censored track(s):
  • Confirmation that you were able to give the censored track(s) a Thumbs down:
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?:
  • A screenshot of the censored track that plays on your station:

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Labels (1)
115 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for reporting this, @Scooterunderwoo.

0 Kudos

Reactor12
Local Performer

Or Nah by Ty $, Wiz Khalifa, and Weeknd

Young, wild, and Free by Wiz Khalifa and Snoop Dogg. 

They went from Explicit to censored and I would like them to be explicit again please.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Reactor12 To clarify, are explicit tracks that you have previously given a Thumbs Up to now playing again but censored?

If so, the next time the censored version of that track plays with the Thumbs Up icon highlighted, can you please grab a screenshot and send that in a reply to this message?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

ErAcEr100
Local Performer

I'm having the issue of pandora playing clean songs when they should be explicit. 

Artist: hot action cop

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ErAcEr100 I'm showing your account is upgraded to Pandora Plus - not Pandora Premium.

The option to listen to playlists is only an option when upgraded to Pandora Premium.

To clarify, are explicit tracks that you have previously given a Thumbs Up to now playing again (on your collected stations) but censored?

If so, the next time the censored version of that track plays with the Thumbs Up icon highlighted, can you please grab a screenshot and send that in a reply to this message?

0 Kudos

ErAcEr100
Local Performer

Screenshot_20230323-162238_Pandora.jpg

@AdamPandora here is 1 of a few songs that has been censored. 

@AdamPandora here is another song censored...seems as if its been taken from YouTube as it is cut exactly the same.

Screenshot_20230324-065250_Pandora.jpg

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up, @ErAcEr100.

I moved your post over to this existing thread: Explicit Tracks now Censored

Your feedback has now been added to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

ZazzleFrazzle
Local Performer

about 90% of my music from my thumbs-up playlist from over the years is now just playing the censored version and it's disgusting. Eminem, Busta, J-Cole, Cardi B, Meg the Stallion, Lil John, and a plethora of other artists out of nowhere. it's been a couple of days of this and it's just the worst mood killer and it ruins cleaning time.  

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ZazzleFrazzle I moved your post over to this existing thread: Explicit Tracks now Censored

To clarify, are explicit tracks that you have previously given a Thumbs Up to now playing again but censored?

0 Kudos

Thrawn200
Local Performer

I'm experiencing some of the same explicit/clean issues others are reporting as well. For example **ahem** Do I Know from Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts will play as censored even though it has the E explicit while playing. However it seems I can sometimes have the same version of the same sone play on a different station and it plays uncensored.

This thread contains fully two years of "Thanks for working with me on this." with no resolutions or fixes to what appears to be a fairly common issue. Can we get any sort of update on this?

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Thrawn200 Each of these reports are looked at on a case by case basis.

I'm happy to help look into your report as well, however I will need you to provide the same information we've requested from other users on this thread.

The next time the censored version of that track by Miley Cyrus plays with the red E icon showing, can you please grab a screenshot and send that in a reply to this message?

0 Kudos

Nickmenikheim
Local Performer

i am having the same issues except it’s all stations. Every song that had explicit language a couple weeks ago is now replaced with the clean version

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Nickmenikheim I moved your post over to this existing thread: Explicit Tracks now Censored

To clarify, are explicit tracks that you have previously given a Thumbs Up to now playing again but censored?

0 Kudos

wellaimed
Underground

Hello,

It happened again, with a song that keeps popping up; Gorillaz, Clint Eastwood. It has the explicit "E" but it also says "radio".

I allow explicit content.

I have this song thumbs up, but I don't want the censored/radio version.

wellaimed_1-1683766166425.png

wellaimed_0-1683766039509.png

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@wellaimed I've passed your feedback along to our engineering team so they can take a closer look.

Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos

wellaimed
Underground

wellaimed_0-1691612891750.png

This keeps happening with this song, most often, I get the "radio" version, even though I have filters set to explicit. 

wellaimed_1-1691613065504.png

Then, to pour salt in the wound, it offers "similar songs", with the explicit version OF THIS SONG. Can't you put a marker in the name of the song, like a (c) in the Clean version and an (e) in the Explicit version? How hard would that be?

You don't even need to do it to EVERY song in your library, just the ones with clean and explicit versions. Granted, that's still going to be a huge number of songs, and it will take quite some time, but it will solve this problem. You could even do it only if someone complains about a given song.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@wellaimed To clarify, this thread is for instances where a track that is currently playing has the red "E" labeled on it, however the censored version of the track is actually playing.

I recommend thumbing down the censored version of that track to prevent it from playing on your station.

Doing so will not prevent the explicit version from playing again on the station you gave it a thumbs down on - only that censored version.

Hope this helps clarify.

0 Kudos

Phoenixsdragon
Local Performer

All my music WAS uncensored! That's part of why I pay for the subscription! Now, everything is censored regardless of how the "explicit content" toggle switch is set in settings 😡🤬👎

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Phoenixsdragon To clarify, are explicit tracks that you have previously given a Thumbs Up to now playing again but censored?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos

Phoenixsdragon
Local Performer

They were previously thumbs up tracks. The one that I included in the screenshot is 1 of the ones that had already had a thumbs up. I have since tried thumbs down and then rethumbs up again and it's still censored.

Screenshot_20231002_153500_Pandora.jpg

was already thumbs up

0 Kudos