cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rearranging the order of seeds added to a station

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I'm doing really well with crafting my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station after many attempts to get it going to where it starts getting easier to work on. I have a question. I've been noticing I can't get to some songs needing to be moved up to the top with the other songs on a CD. Is it okay if they are separated from the others 'til I get to 'em to move up to the top of the variety seeds list? My variety seeds list is humongous, but am getting there with adding the songs to the station so I can take the song off the list after it comes to it. I'm new to this. I've never done anything like this before. Just used to making a station with the similar singers, adding a couple of singers then start thumbing up and thumbing down songs :0). I was moving up all of Huey Lewis' songs from his Sports albums this morning and noticed I can't get to his Heart And Soul song and one other song needing to be moved up to the top at the moment. I don't think it's too far down the list.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@CraftyCatMom2 The order in which the songs or artists you add as variety to your station does not necessarily matter.

So whether or not a particular song or artist is at the top or bottom of the list, it will still have the same effect on your station.

Also please note, adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. I would suggest editing this station to remove those extra seeds. As a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

Hope this helps explain. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@CraftyCatMom2 The order in which the songs or artists you add as variety to your station does not necessarily matter.

So whether or not a particular song or artist is at the top or bottom of the list, it will still have the same effect on your station.

Also please note, adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. I would suggest editing this station to remove those extra seeds. As a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

Hope this helps explain. 

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

Okay, my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station grew really big on the playlist. I'm editing my playlist as I go along. It will shorten soon. I'm carefully removing songs and editing my playlist when I need to so I don't mess it all up again. It took me a bunch of times to get it just right then it all started falling into place to where I started picking songs for my thumbs ups and it's gotten alot easier to figure out things. Huey Lewis & the News station was alot harder and sophisticated for me to setup and start working on it every morning 'cause his CD and station setup is entirely different than the rest of the stations I've made where I just put the similar singers in and some other singers around 'em. I know when the playlist starts to shorten I can get to those other songs I need to move to the top with the other songs so I'm not worried about anything. Just taking it slow and easy on this new updated Huey Lewis & the News station. I'm starting to like how it's coming out :0). Sometimes, Pandora shows me a song to add. I'll look up the lyrics to see if it's one I might like to add. If it's not a song I would like I thumb it down. Huey Lewis made me put another song on the playlist everytime he came around. I didn't know what to do in the beginning half the time and I thought to myself I don't have a choice, but to put on another song in to get the one I want from his list haha. Yesterday, he finally gave me the Workin' For A Livin' song I've been needing on the station to start working towards getting the playlist shorter. It's humongeous. I know that stations work alot better with 3-4 songs on the variety seeds listing so they don't veer off, but Huey's station turned into a pick songs station. It's not having any troubles at all with all the songs I have in the variety seeds listing. I'm working towards getting it shorter 'cause Bob Seger has a bunch on his Ultimate Hits CD listing that I need to clear up. It just takes time to get it there.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

Huey Lewis keeps throwing songs at me that I don't have on my old iPod. Is it okay to take some of his songs off my playlist and leave the ones I want for his station? I got his song called Perfect World and I also like Small World too. There's a couple of songs I know off his Small World CD and some other CDs I have listed. I think that's why he's so sophisticated to work with on his station. I'm trying to get to the other songs I need to move up to the top to add to his station and he's piling me up with a bunch of songs on all of his CDs haha. Just about got Bob Seger cleared up and added to the station. I'll take a break and wait for your reply back before I do anymore crafting on my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station. I have some favorites on all his CDs and I just fixed his Sports album that has all the ones I like on my playlist. He didn't throw any songs at me that I wasn't familiar with off that CD. They are all the ones I know :0).

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I figured if I just leave all of Huey Lewis' songs on the playlist and move all of 'em to the top of the list the station can pick the next song for me to take off when it comes to it 'cause I don't know what it wants me to do next. That's the way I do with everybody else on the playlist. I've noticed that the Pandora tech team are helping me with my station when they see something that needs fixing :0). I'm doing okay with my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station so far.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I really need to move Huey Lewis & the News song Heart And Soul up with all their other Sports album songs. That's the first song I thumbed up in the beginning and added it to the variety seeds so it would play all the time when I get all done. Is there anyway you can go way back and take it off the playlist variety seeds so I can readd it again to the top with the others or will I have to wait 'til the variety seeds playlist gets smaller for me to get to it? Just curious. I'm working on getting the playlist smaller so I can get the rest of singers that haven't made it on yet. It's okay, if you aren't able to. I'll just keep working on my playlist to get it smaller. I've never done anything like this before on a station where I rearranged songs.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I revised all of Huey Lewis & the News CDs that's on my playlist and just put the ones I have on my old iPod and some I don't have on there to make it better. Got to thinking it wouldn't be a problem to revise all of his CDs I have on my playlist. I got more of my singers coming in that hadn't made it on yet, but just having to thumb up any song that comes up 'til I get to the song I need to move up later :0). The Sports album is alright so I'm not gonna bother with that CD 'cause he put all the songs I like from that CD on the playlist.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

My Huey Lewis & the News station got a move on coming around picking up songs yesterday so I could take 'em off the playlist to start getting it shorter then I had to pull 'em back on again. Last night, I found out that I had one more double thumbs up on Fleetwood Mac's album that has Seven Wonders on it. I fixed before I went to bed last night and this morning I'm just now getting straightened up so it'll come back around again to pickup the songs on the playlist so I can take those off and move to the next set of songs that need to be moved up to the top. I'm understanding it now when it comes to a song I take it off and move the other songs up to the top :0). I check lyrics of songs to see if it's a good or bad song. I took two off by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band that weren't good songs so I removed those and left Shinin' Brightly. I love that song. I've been checking songs before I add 'em to my playlist.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I'm curious about something. On the Foreigner Soundtrack Of Summer album do I thumb up just one for Foreign and one for Styx or two for Styx? Here's the link The Soundtrack Of Summer by Foreigner, Styx & Don Felder on Pandora | Radio, Songs & Lyrics. I've got one thumbed up for Foreigner to get the song I want that's on my playlist and two thumbs ups for Styx that I have two songs for on my playlist. Let me know. Thanks :0). I didn't want to do anything 'til I asked you first 'cause I don't want to mess up my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I came across a song that needs updating on the Beach Boys / Jan & Dean album 'cause Surf City is a song by Jan & Dan not the Beach Boys. The other songs on the album are marked right for the Beach Boys. The Surf City song has always been a Jan & Dean song. It's never been a Beach Boys song. I had to thumb it down on my new update Huey Lewis & the News station 'cause I'm not familiar with Jan & Dean. I've never known a song by those guys.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@CraftyCatMom2 Thanks for reporting!

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

You're welcome.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

My new updated Huey Lewis & the News station was so slow yesterday picking up songs. I was like what's going on here after I had to put a couple of songs back on to try again. Got to thinking I prolly need to check my thumbs ups rating and see if I might've by some chance doubled thumbed up another album. When I looked in there I did have one more doubled thumbs up on Genesis album that has the Abcab song. I thought I didn't have this song. It took me forever to figured that one out haha :0). My new Huey Lewis & the News station is finally picking up now. I added Bruce Hornsby's Look Out Any Window to his list of songs, Crocodile Rock on Elton John's list of songs and Some Guys Have All The Luck from Rod Stewart's studio album. That fixed it all. I didn't know that most of the singers needed at least 5 songs to make it start picking up songs so I can take 'em off and move the other songs up.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I noticed those undesirable matches to my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station I'm working on. A couple weeks ago I had an Elvis Fever live radio song pop up and I already have it as a royal philharmonic song on his one album I have on my playlist haha.

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

Oh, geez I did something crazy last year on my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station when I was picking songs for my thumbs up. Didn't realize it 'til now why I was having a bunch of problems getting my songs added. I kept rearranging 'til I decided to stop and think what I needed to do next. Apparently, I something in the playlist that was causing the go around a million times. I took a pic of some of my singers biggest list of songs including Huey Lewis & the News Sports songs list and took all of those off to find what I had done. When I thumbed up Fleetwood Mac's Dreams song I accidentally added it to the list. I took it off the list and move the two songs for it back to the top and also found Gimme All Your Lovin' by ZZ Top which is what I needed to get back with their other 4 songs I had in front of me all the time then I put all the songs back on the list so I can start it out right again totally resetting the playlist to make it better and easier to work with :0). Just now my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station picked up John Mayer's Wild Blue song. Yay!

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

I was fine tuning my Huey Lewis & the News Live At 25 album song thumbs up rating and noticed that a live song called Doing It All For My Baby on their Live At 25 album needs to be corrected. Here's the link Doing It All For My Baby (l) by Huey Lewis And The News on Pandora | Radio, Songs & Lyrics. Just need to take out the (I) at the end then correct it on my thumbs up rating too. Thanks, for helping me with this. I finally figured out where the go around in circles on my new updated Huey Lewis & the News was coming from. Back when I first got it going I remember when they kept coming back with another live song and I honestly didn't think to check to see if Heart And Soul live and Bad Is Bad live are on the Sports album before I thumbed 'em up on their Live at 25 album. They are so I just took these Live At 25 thumbs up ratings off and kept 'em on the Sports album so now it's starting to pick more songs from everybody else. I've got 3 in so far. This has been quite a challenging Huey Lewis & the News station to get it all straightened out haha. Oh, well that's alright. I'm starting to get the hang of it now, but am gonna go slow and take my time with it 'cause there might be another song I want to add to one of my other thumbs up ratings. Seems, like it was more than just me double thumbing up more than one song. Got to thinking that maybe I had something in two of my pop stations that might've caused the go around in a circle so many times as well 'til I finally got it picking up more songs. Last night, I worked on my two pop stations a little bit to find the cause. I apparently had two rock songs in there so I took those out since they are now in my Huey Lewis & the News station.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

You're welcome. I spent a little time going over my playlist 'cause I felt somebody was missing a song. It was Elton John's live album. He was missing the Rocket Man (Live) song. I had it on there, but forgot to put it back on the last time my station reset bringing some of the singers songs back for me to readd back. It come to find out that two Eagles albums needed one more song and with Elton John's live album having all of it's songs back on the list that I like it'll get better making the songs stay on the station after it comes around and takes 'em off the list :0).

0 Kudos

CraftyCatMom2
Opening Act

Yesterday, I was working on my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station and came across John Fogerty's radio live song Ran Through The Jungle. It's supposed to be Run Through The Jungle instead of Ran Through The Jungle. Here's the link to it Ran Through The Jungle (Live At The Wiltern Theater) by John Fogerty on Pandora | Radio, Songs & Lyr... so you can have the team that works on the collection correct it. I'm staying patient with crafting my new updated Huey Lewis & the News station. I understand now why it kept having me put the songs back. It needed more songs to make all the songs on my playlist stick when it comes around to pick 'em up, but that's alright. It doesn't bother me. It's fun finding new oldies :0).

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

0 Kudos