cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage on Pandora Roku App

giantsbaseball
Local Performer

Hi All. Just got a notice that I have used almost a TB of data this month, and I'm thinking Pandora may be the culprit. We listen to music through our sound bar using the Pandora Roku channel with our TV on. While it's just sound and graphics, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it's using the same amount of data as video, since it's technically on tv. Any ideas? I could just stream from my phone through bluetooth on the sounder, but it's clunky and bluetooth sound quality isn't as good. Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Myrddin_R_Emrys
Local Performer

Since we are talking about digital video. The only data for the image should be any parts that change. It shouldn't be using the amount of information an analog signal would require. The sound bitrate is where the majority of the data use should be happening and I don't think it's going to be any higher than maybe 192 kbps, which is vastly less than a moving 1080p HD ..probably not even close to the data used in a 720p HD vid stream.

That said though.. If you have it on a lot, even a lower bandwidth stream will add up over time. While we don't have Pandora on as frequently as you must, I have not seen any data use out of the ordinary. There may be another agent in action somewhere in your network. It's possible that your router may keep bandwidth records of the connected devices.. that might help you know for sure what is bringing your bandwidth use up.?

Hope this helps.. Let us know.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Myrddin_R_Emrys
Local Performer

Since we are talking about digital video. The only data for the image should be any parts that change. It shouldn't be using the amount of information an analog signal would require. The sound bitrate is where the majority of the data use should be happening and I don't think it's going to be any higher than maybe 192 kbps, which is vastly less than a moving 1080p HD ..probably not even close to the data used in a 720p HD vid stream.

That said though.. If you have it on a lot, even a lower bandwidth stream will add up over time. While we don't have Pandora on as frequently as you must, I have not seen any data use out of the ordinary. There may be another agent in action somewhere in your network. It's possible that your router may keep bandwidth records of the connected devices.. that might help you know for sure what is bringing your bandwidth use up.?

Hope this helps.. Let us know.

giantsbaseball
Local Performer

thank you so much. this is very helpful!

Myrddin_R_Emrys
Local Performer

I'm glad I was able to shine a little light on a tiny bit of how our data flows. 🙂

Hope you & yours are warm & safe.!