cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: App plays after being closed

MusicFan1009
Local Performer

Any time any other audio or voice app opens and then closes, Pandora resumes playing even the app is closed! Even when I get in my car and start the engine, the CLOSED Pandora app starts up and comes blasting out of the speakers.

Why is there no way to stop Pandora from doing this? What is Pandora's excuse? When I close an app, I close it for a reason. Shocking, I know, but the reason is

The reason is (good job censoring anything in all caps) I don't want to hear Pandora again until I open the app! You people don't like to hear complaints, do you?

mod edit: merged comments + changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @MusicFan1009. 👋

We value your opinion and appreciate your input. Sorry to hear about your recent experience with the Pandora app.

iOS Troubleshooting:

I've enabled a trace on your account in case we need to report this over to our engineering team. 

First, I recommend rebooting the device by shutting it down entirely, then turning it back on and trying Pandora again. If you're still having issues, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you).* To do that:

1. Hold down the Pandora icon on your Home screen until all the icons start "shaking."
  2. Then tap - in the upper left of the Pandora icon, and confirm that you want to Delete app.
  3. Then re-install Pandora via the App Store on your device.

*Please note: Pandora Premium and Premium Family listeners may need to re-download some of their offline content after reinstalling the app. Pandora Plus users, however, should receive that offline content again automatically. If you have any trouble with your offline stations after reinstalling, please let us know.

Let me know if this helps. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 
0 Kudos

MusicFan1009
Local Performer

No. The problem is that the app runs in the background and there is no way to stop it. There should be a setting within the app but there is not.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your reply, @MusicFan1009

Fully Shutting Down the App:

• To fully shut down the Pandora app, press the Home button twice to bring up the list of currently running apps. (If you're on an iPhone X, use your finger to swipe up from the bottom of your screen, and hold the gesture until the other apps appear).
  • Also, if you aren't currently in the Pandora app when you do this, you may need to swipe the screen to the left or right until you find Pandora.
  • Once you see Pandora, swipe the preview up and it will disappear. The app is now completely closed.

Alternatively, if you press pause and exit the app, the app will continue to run in the background. 

Does the app still open after fully shutting it down? Let me know. 🎧

0 Kudos

MusicFan1009
Local Performer
Yes I saw that method all over the internet. Apparently it's outdated
because my iPhone 14 doesn't work anything like that.

Let's pretend it did for a moment though. Is that something I would have to
do every single time I was done using Pandora? If so, why?

But please let me know if there turns out to be a method that works on an
iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.6.1.

I've been dealing with this for so many years and honestly I'm just sick to
death of it.
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @MusicFan1009. 👋

Thanks for your patience over the weekend. I would recommend fully exiting the Pandora app to close it versus leaving it open in the background. 

Does this issue only occur in your vehicle? Or, when connecting to an external bluetooth device?

++

Adjusting your Settings:

If Pandora was the last music source that was playing before you exited your vehicle, it will automatically resume when you re-enter the car.* In a way, this provides the same functionality of FM radio: if FM radio was the playing when you turned off your car, it would start playing again when you turned it back on.

If you prefer, you can disable this functionality using the following steps: 

• Open Pandora.
  • Tap Profile.
  • Next select the Settings gear in the upper right corner.
  • Tap Advanced.
  • Under Bluetooth for devices uncheck the box next to Launch from car.

Then shut down all apps on your phone and restart your car.

If you continue to have trouble, I recommend contacting your dealership for further assistance as it is sometimes possible to disable auto-launching directly from the entertainment system.

Hope this helps. 🎧

*Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

0 Kudos

MusicFan1009
Local Performer

I tried that years ago. "Enable auto play" is off. "Enable auto start" is off. "Enable launch from car" is off.

When I am done listening to music, I always close the app.

But if I walk outside right now and start the car, Pandora will play.  PERIOD.

Please fix this app.

0 Kudos