cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Playlists and Mixtapes?

MetalFlack
Underground

I was wondering what the difference was.  Please let me know so I know which to use for what purpose.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

MTN-Jer
Underground

Here are notes I jotted during the AMP webinar. Someone else can clarify if I have any of this incorrect:

PLAYLIST - With a playlist you get to pick the order... it plays in order (but of course the user could choose to skip around if they want). There's no minimum amount of tracks. The playlist can have audio segments as well as songs, so you could (for example) do a "directors cut" introducing each of the new songs on your album, or giving commentary on a playlist of your favorite songs by other artists with audio before each track telling why that song was meaningful to you. Listeners must have premium access to listen (or they can watch a 15 second video to listen via ad-supported free account).

MIXTAPE - A mixtape is more of a typical Pandora listening – plays in random order like a radio station. To set it up you must include a minimum of 80 tracks, which must be from at least 16 different albums and from at least 10 different artists.

--Jer of the band Mitch the Needle

View solution in original post

2 Replies

MTN-Jer
Underground

Here are notes I jotted during the AMP webinar. Someone else can clarify if I have any of this incorrect:

PLAYLIST - With a playlist you get to pick the order... it plays in order (but of course the user could choose to skip around if they want). There's no minimum amount of tracks. The playlist can have audio segments as well as songs, so you could (for example) do a "directors cut" introducing each of the new songs on your album, or giving commentary on a playlist of your favorite songs by other artists with audio before each track telling why that song was meaningful to you. Listeners must have premium access to listen (or they can watch a 15 second video to listen via ad-supported free account).

MIXTAPE - A mixtape is more of a typical Pandora listening – plays in random order like a radio station. To set it up you must include a minimum of 80 tracks, which must be from at least 16 different albums and from at least 10 different artists.

--Jer of the band Mitch the Needle

JohnVPandora

Hey @MTN-Jer - Great breakdown! 🎸🎵

@MetalFlack You can find more information on how to set up Playlists and Mixtapes on this page of the AMP Playbook here.