cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Pandora starts a new session when WiFi drops

DVDMike
Local Performer

Using LG Stylo 6 phone. I have the auto start turned off and offline turned off.  I start a pandora station over Wi-Fi and cast it to a Chromecast audio puck.

If at any time I get disconnected from my Wi-Fi for a 1/2 second Pandora keeps playing on the Chromecast device but then a new station starts playing on my phone as well. And not only that, it plays a different station than what I'm listening to over Chromecast.

Shortly afterwards, the pandora on Chromecast stops and a woman's voice comes on and says that I am running two devices at once and I'm only allowed 1. Well, I don't want to run 2 devices! I didn't start the second device! Pandora is the one who started the second device.  At this point, I have to stop pandora and restart it--and then start all over again.

This process can happen within seconds of initiating the Chromecast. It can go for a few hours without happening. It seems to start when there is some brief communication problem between my wifi router and my cell wifi.  Its been happening for years, though I only recently realized that it was in conjunction with a Wi-Fi blip on my phone.

I thought maybe there was a setting where I could just turn off ever running pandora off of my 4G cell data. But I cannot find that setting. That seems odd for a mature platform that if you are running on Wi-Fi that there is no way NOT for pandora to start using your data connection without turning off data at the phone itself. 

This problem is amazingly frustrating and making me consider canceling my subscription. It happens 1-3 times daily.

Is there a way for me to STOP pandora from starting a new session without me actually starting it? Is there a way to stop pandora from EVER accessing my cell data to stream music? I'd guess either would solve the problem.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

DVDMike
Local Performer

Turning off data on my phone seems to have resolved the issue of Pandora starting a new stream. But this is not an ideal solution for me.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @DVDMike. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble when using the Pandora app, your device, and Chromecast. I understand how frustrating this can be. Based on your message, it sounds like you've run through the troubleshooting steps to no avail. I can share your feedback with our tech team on your behalf.

Thank you for reporting and for your patience during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 