cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Player controls become unresponsive

Leonlav77
Local Performer

why wont my pandora pause or skip? And i have to restart my phone to get pandora turned off after newest update

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
308 Replies

fdraven1
Opening Act

Since i switched to spotify, which im not a fan of, but im getting used to it, I have had 0 issues connecting to my truck, car or stuff in my home. It is def a Pandora issue, but Android created it with their update in Dec. App developers have to change their things at the whim of Android and Apple, not other way around.

Taz480
Underground

Same. Not a Spotify fan but dont hate it either. And while still only on the free version, it runs flawlessly! So does YT music. And yes, while this appears to have started with the December Android update/patch, it is definitely only an issue with Pandora. Whos problem it is to fix it could be debated, but thats just how software works. Sane with Windows or any other operating system. The operating system developers need to make changes for security and improvements and all the program and app developers have to adapt to continue to work within the OS environment. Pandora, it would do you well to at least keep us up to speed on progress, at this point. If no update yet, at least an update on progress of a fix, because of the simple fact that it's taking this long! I don't think thats too much to ask. But no. No "we're working on it". No "we are getting close to a fix". No "kiss my a**". Nothing. This is why you're losing subscribers!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update (01/22/24): Hi community friends 👋

Thank you for reporting your feedback and experience with the unresponsive player controls. This issue has been passed along to our tech team for further investigation. At this time, there is no new update to share. For new posters, feel free to include your device information as well as your feedback to be shared with the appropriate party.

As always, the accepted solution post will be updated with more information as it is provided to the moderation team. Thank you for your patience during this process. 🎧

Pandora Update (12/12/23): Hi friends 👋

We've received multiple reports about the player controls becoming unresponsive when listening to Pandora on an Android device. Thank you for taking the time to report your experience. 

In the meantime, the moderation team is sharing the reports on this thread with the appropriate party for further investigation. For new posters on this thread, it's helpful to know your device information:

• Model: 
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you encountered any error messages? If so, what exactly does it say?
  • Does this only happen when connected to a Bluetooth device or also when streaming directly from your phone speaker? 

If you're able to capture a screenshot, this is helpful too. 

Once we have this info, we'll follow up with you if we need any additional details. We appreciate your help with this. 🎧

*Please note: The Accepted as a Solution to flag the current steps and/or status of this thread. This post will be updated with more information as it is provided to the moderation team.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 

fdraven1
Opening Act
Accepted solution is garbage and its been almost 2 months, too little to late.

Trb1353
Local Performer

I've been having problems with pandora recently since my phone updated. Sometimes when I try to skip a song all the buttons (skip, pause, etc) all go faded and can't be used. I would have to completely shut down the app and relaunch to get it back to normal. Sometimes when getting out of my car while connected to bluetooth the song will keep playing and then randomly play from my phone while in my pocket. 

Music_Lover420
Opening Act

Same for me

handelsmerk
Underground
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
  • Carrier: T-Mobile
  • Android version: Android 14 (One UI 6.0)
  • Pandora version: 2310.1
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening: Both
  • Have you encountered any error messages? None
  • Does this only happen when connected to a Bluetooth device or also when streaming directly from your phone speaker: Both
0 Kudos

penguinf4
Local Performer
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy S23 SM-S911U
  • Carrier: AT&T
  • Does this only happen when connected to a Bluetooth device or also when streaming directly from your phone speaker: Bluetooth (I rarely use phone speaker, but with Bluetooth, it's almost always happening)
0 Kudos

Panoramic0306
Underground
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy S22 SM-SM901U1
  • Carrier: Google Fi (T-Mobile)
  • Does this only happen when connected to a Bluetooth device or also when streaming directly from your phone speaker: Bluetooth.
  • Auto-Lock is disabled
  • Dark Mode
  • Notifications are Disabled
  • High-Quality audio
  • Pandora stops responding to play/pause/Skip commands whether sent from the Bluetooth device or tapped in the app directly.
  • Pandora shows a Play button even though it's already playing. 
  • Force Stop, or swiping Pandora off of the open apps screen works for a short time.
  • So far I haven't had issues while using Android Auto (wired) in my car.

Update:  when Pandora locks up and no longer responds to Bluetooth play/pause commands, if I open Pandora and change stations it will continue to play the previous station while simultaneously playing the new one I selected.

The new station can be paused/unpaused using the controls on the screen or Bluetooth controls, but the previous station continues to play.

jyoung
Underground

So let me get this clear. Pandora has know of this issue for almost 2 months and still do not currently have a solution. Are you all even listening to us and working on a solution? We are all paying customers and this is NOT OKAY. Spotify is looking really enticing right about now. We need an update on this outstanding issue NOW! Or I will definitely be taking my business and my money elsewhere. 

Panoramic0306
Underground

Another update:

Changing battery usage modes in the OS doesn't help.

Disabling Auto-Lock in Pandora options prevents zombie Pandora as long as the screen remains on.  Tapping the power button to shut the screen off creates zombie Pandora.

Pandora, I hope you're paying attention.  Two months is a ridiculous amount of time to leave a bug like this unresolved.  I understand your app is intended to play music, but sometimes I need my phone to do other things.

gmcboy123
Local Performer

While im useing my app on my phone i have to turn it off and back on it won't let me skip a song pause a song or thumb up or down i use at work for 8 to 10 hours and have to reset it about 3 to 4 times a day my phone is a android  version 14

Thank you

gmcboy123
Local Performer

2310.1 both wifi and data no error massages it happens both Bluetooth and direct from phone speaker 

MusicFan65278
Underground

Galaxy S23 Ultra

Android version: 14, One UI version 6.0

Pandora version: 2310.1

Tried the above troubleshooting

This problem has been ongoing, we're ready for an actual fix, not band-aid please. 

samash9859
Underground

To developers, hey guys, we all are in a pickle for now. I tried to download the older versions of APK and for some time they seemed to run fine, but lately it looks like a problem appeared again - the grayed-out controls. So maybe it's the Android update thet kerps screwing is up?

Another idea: since the problem seems to be happening maybe a few minutes after the first playing, could it be that the buffer is full and it causes the thing?

Just thoughts

spb999
Underground

Pandora has been working normally for me over the past three days. Since there was no app update I assume this was fixed on the server side vs. phone app. Lovely communications as usual.

John58
Local Performer
I only wish. Still seeing same issue. 2 + month's and counting . Play
pandora through any Bluetooth device..pandora control buttons become
worthless.

Grailquest
Underground
My Pandora is still zombified. I am very disappointed in Pandora. This, and the fact that my new work car (Volvo) supports pretty much every music app except Pandora has me probably going to Spotify after 10 yrs. Sad..

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

meckems
Local Performer

This is ridiculous and there is no accepted solution because there is no solution. This has been going on for over 2 months.  When is this going to be fixed?

Tej4ps1175
Local Performer

Please explain to me why I can't skip songs on a premium account? Getting old wondering why I have to hard lose to change songs/channels.