cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Downloading?

Dizzy49
Underground

A while ago I had Pandora running all day and it downloaded like 300 songs.  I was then able to listen to them when I traveled via plane (twice a week every week).  

It looks like I'll be traveling again soon, so I'm trying to get things set back up.  I switched phones, and I cannot figure out how to have Pandora download things automatically again.  I don't want to sit here and have to click the Download button on every single song.  I've spent YEARS getting my station JUST right.

I'm on the Premium Family Plan.

Labels (1)
5 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Dizzy49. 👋

Sorry for any confusion regarding offline downloads. I completely understand where you're coming from.

Offline downloads are device specific and live within the Pandora app. This means if you purchase a new phone, you’ll need to re-download your offline content. If you’re outside of our app, or you’re accessing Pandora from our website or another type of device, you won’t be able to view those downloads. This also means you'll need to download content for offline listening on your new device. 

Downloading your Tunes:

As a Pandora Premium subscriber, if you'd like to download content for offline listening, you can tap the icon with the arrow pointing downward.

• This can be found on station, album and playlist pages, or, to download a track, tap the three dots on the Now Playing screen. Keep in mind, this button will only appear for eligible tracks.
  • If you change your mind during any point of the downloading process, simply tap the download button again, and we'll stop and delete any downloaded content.
  • If you lose connection while downloading, we'll save your spot with your partially downloaded playlists, albums and stations. The next time you gain a signal, we'll attempt to complete the download process for you.

Your three most popular stations (along with Thumbprint Radio) will automatically download for you to access in Offline Mode. If you have not yet added Thumbprint Radio, please let me know.

++

In the meantime, you may be interested in upvoting this existing feature request: Downloading to SD Card

• To upvote a feature request, click on the ❤️ icon next to the title of the request.
  • To create your own feature request, feel free to make one here.
  • For more information about how feature requests work on the Pandora Community, feel free to check out this helpful infographic: "How do requests become features?"

I hope this information is helpful. 🎧 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.09.24)
0 Kudos

Dizzy49
Underground

As I mentioned in my original post, I figured out how to download each song individually.  I wanted to know if there was a way to download everything as I listen to it (automatically), or to download in bulk.

I live in the mountains and when we drive we are in a lot of valleys and canyons and do not have service.  The last road trip we took my phone wouldn't connect, and Pandora wouldn't play anything.  I had to force it closed, and then when I opened it again, it said it couldn't connect and would exit the app.  It did NOT go into Offline Mode.  When I was flying a lot, I would be listening to Pandora, and then turn on Airplane Mode and it would go to Offline Mode seamlessly.  Actually the first time I was an hour into the flight before I realized I was listening on an app that should be connected but had no connection.

It would be great if there was a way to download the My Collection as it seems to add all the downloaded songs to that list.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dizzy49 Thanks for your reply, and sorry to hear that happened.

At this time, there isn't a way to automatically download songs, albums, or content. You would need to manually download the content you'd like to have for offline mode.

You will need to make sure to download your offline content prior to leaving our service area. Android users must also manually set the Pandora app to offline mode before leaving.

Another thing to note, your offline collection will be removed if you uninstall or sign out of the Pandora app, or if you are unable to re-establish a connection with Pandora via a Wi-Fi or mobile network within 30 days. In order to refresh your offline content, a connection needs to be re-established to sync with our system.

Have you experienced any offline issues with your new device?

++

I think that is a great idea, to have the ability to download your entire My Collection for offline listening. I would enjoy having that functionality too.

I don't think we have a feature request for this right now. I would recommend creating one here

0 Kudos

Dizzy49
Underground

"Android users must also manually set the Pandora app to offline mode before leaving."

Well that kills the road trip if we can't listen to Pandora normally and have it switch to Offline.  I didn't have to previously, why is it required now?  Seems like a HUGE miss functionality-wise

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dizzy49 This is specifically for when you know you'll be taking a longer trip and won't have service for awhile.

By longer trip, this could also be a weekend road trip where you may have spotty to no service at all but still want access to your tunes. I thought it would be a helpful tip, just in case. 

0 Kudos