cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you still seed stations with multiple songs or multiple artists?

lisabarnes2
Underground

I've had a Pandora account for 10+ years and I remember that you used to be able to seed stations with multiple songs or multiple artists, but I can't find how to do that now.  You used to be able to do this even on free accounts, I think, definitely on the lower-cost paid tier, but now I can't see how to do it.  I recently upgraded from Plus to Premium in part to see if this is now a Premium feature.  I still don't see a way to start a new station with multiple seeds, or to add a new seed song or artist to an existing station.  Can this be done these days?

BTW, LiveXLive (new name for Slacker Radio), for their 99 cents/month subscription level, allows this!    

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

lisabarnes2
Underground

No need for any replies, because I figured out myself how to do it.  I'm going to put in a feature request to put in better documentation into the app, i.e. a button that says "Why can't I add variety to this station?" to stations that are based on ones curated by Pandora.  I've been a Pandora user for years and haven't understood it until I spent time testing yesterday and reading the support forums.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

lisabarnes2
Underground

No need for any replies, because I figured out myself how to do it.  I'm going to put in a feature request to put in better documentation into the app, i.e. a button that says "Why can't I add variety to this station?" to stations that are based on ones curated by Pandora.  I've been a Pandora user for years and haven't understood it until I spent time testing yesterday and reading the support forums.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @lisabarnes2. 👋

The short answer is yes. You can add multiple artists and/or song seeds to your station, as long as it isn't a genre station.

Genre stations, such as "Today's Hits" or "Easy Listening," are stations curated by Pandora, and they behave a little bit differently than your own personalized stations. One difference is that you cannot Add Variety to these stations. That's because Adding Variety could change your listening experience on these stations; added seeds would most likely inspire music outside of the scope of the intended genre.

When listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

++

Another community member created this existing feature suggestion: Ability to Edit Genre Stations

To upvote this idea, click on the 💙icon next to the title of the suggestion. 

Hope this information is helpful. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

lisabarnes2
Underground

Actually, I don't think that preventing users from editing genre stations is a terrible idea.  It is very easy to drastically change the character of a station with just one or two new seeds.  I had a new agey station a long time ago that I somehow turned into a jazzy station accidentally and have had other experiments go awry too, haha.  If a user took the 70's Light Rock station and added even one 2021 Rap seed, it might make people think that Pandora's curated stations are poorly done.  My request is just to make it easier for users to understand which stations can have the seeds edited on which not, by adding more documentation into the user interface itself.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

I completely understand where you're coming from, @lisabarnes2.

Feel free to create a feature suggestion here. Can't wait to hear more of your ideas.

Hope to see you around the community space more often! :pandora:

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

scottgretz
Local Performer

Hi Lisa,

You wrote that you can add song seeds or artists to a station you created yourself. Please tell me how to do that.  I am a long time user of Pandora and I see that that feature has been removed.

Thanks,

Scott

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@scottgretz What is the name of the station you are unable to add variety to?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Otokoyama
Local Performer

In this entire post, people stated that "seeding stations" is possible and not a single person states HOW to do that?!?!

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Otokoyama. 👋

Sorry for any confusion around this.

Seeding a station is simply creating a station based off a song, artist, composer, comedian, etc. 

Adding variety to your station is adding additional station seeds.  For example, you can create a station based on Adele and then add Bruno Mars as an additional artist seed on your Adele station. 

To add variety to a station:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit. 

• If you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, this will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  • If you're a free listener or Pandora Plus subscriber, this will start your station, so tap either the Thumb or small "i" icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.

3. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.

4. Use the + Add Variety button to search for an artist or track to add as a seed on your station.

Keep in mind that each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way.

Note: you won't be able to add variety to your Thumbprint Radio station or to genre stations curated by Pandora. If you'd like more information about why, let me know.

To remove variety from your station (a "seed" that you've added in the past):
Follow steps #1 - 3 and then tap  (-) iOS or (X) Android beside the item(s) you'd like to remove. 

I hope this information is helpful. 🎧

0 Kudos