cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMW Carplay won't connect specifically to Pandora

ssemon
Underground

2017 BMW 540i with updated software.  Phone (iPhone 11) is paired and connects to BMW and other Apple CarPlay apps function (e.g. Waze, Phone, Apple Music, etc.).  Pandora app loads, favorite Pandora stations recognized, but when activated no song is played.  Continuous buffering may be an issue.

From the Pandora app, with the car running the Pandora app indicates that it cannot connect.  On the iPhone, Siri is turned on and under phone settings, the phone utilizes car's wifi.

I have deleted and reinstalled Pandora app from phone, and deleted phone connection to the car and re-paired.  When pairing the iPhone with the car, I select "CarPlay" rather than pairing with other functions.

I've had Pandora work just fine with an older iPhone 7, but nothing seems to get Pandora working on the new system.  Would hate to have to shift to another music service.

Thanks for any advice.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

ssemon
Underground

Issue resolved - working with Pandora Team, BMW, Apple and TMobile, it was determined that TMobile only turned on my cell phone functions, and not my data plan.  Therefore the data stored on the phone from wifi access would function on Carlplay (i.e. Pandora set up) but would not stream new data when a wifi source wasn't available (music).

As the old saying goes, the first thing to do when working on a car is to check to see if there's gas in the gas tank (or on a computer, if computer is plugged in).  In this case, without a data stream there was no Pandora data to feed the iPhone, and no data from the iPhone to the BMW or Carplay.  TMobile apologized for only partially setting up the phone system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @ssemon , thanks for posting your experience on community. Sorry to hear this is happening. 

Sounds like you've gone through some troubleshooting already without any luck. I'm going to go ahead and create a ticket to pass on to our engineering team for further investigation. 

I've also asked our User Support team to enable a trace on your account so that we can better understand what may be happening. With this trace enabled, can you please try to replicate the issue you're having. This may helps us better understand what is happening.

I'd also like to collect some info about your phone. Can you let me know the following:

• iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Additionally, you mention that you're connecting through your BMW's WiFi. Can you connect via cellular only and see if the same problem occurs. 

Thanks for the help!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

ssemon
Underground

The software version is 13.5.1

The Pandora version is 2006.1

I turned off the iPhone wifi connection and attempted to connect via Blutooth only.  The car initially recognized Pandora (via the BMW infotainment system, not Apple CarPlay) but then stopped.  Thereafter, I tried to open the app on the iPhone but the app had a white screen notifying me the app could not connect.

The CarPlay system is connected via wifi CarPlay connection.  When I attempt to connect Carplay via a Blutooth connection, the car will not do so - CarPlay seems to be dedicated to the wifi connection and not blutooth.  Again, the other apps (e.g., Google Maps, Calendar, Phone, etc. seems to function normally).

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos

ssemon
Underground

Issue resolved - working with Pandora Team, BMW, Apple and TMobile, it was determined that TMobile only turned on my cell phone functions, and not my data plan.  Therefore the data stored on the phone from wifi access would function on Carlplay (i.e. Pandora set up) but would not stream new data when a wifi source wasn't available (music).

As the old saying goes, the first thing to do when working on a car is to check to see if there's gas in the gas tank (or on a computer, if computer is plugged in).  In this case, without a data stream there was no Pandora data to feed the iPhone, and no data from the iPhone to the BMW or Carplay.  TMobile apologized for only partially setting up the phone system.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hey @ssemon! Glad to hear that this was resolved!

Enjoy the tunes! 🎧

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

LkStrikerJames
Underground

TMobile only turned on my cell phone functions, and not my data plan.  Therefore the data stored on the phone from wifi access would function on Carlplay (i.e. Pandora set up) but would not stream new data when a wifi source wasn't available (music).”

I’m having same issue. BMW apparently didn’t learn from your experience as their “Genius Support” could not help beyond suggesting a communication problem. 

I have iPhone X; latest IOS; 2019 BMWX5 w/ latest comms upgrade; Pandora free; Verizon. 

Can you tell me how to check my cellular data setup so I don’t have to visit Verizon. Thanks 

0 Kudos

LkStrikerJames
Underground

I think I figured it out. In Settings under Cellular, I turned on both Cellular Roaming and Roaming On under Cellular Data Options. The car seems to be getting the signal from the phone so the phone must have a cellular signal. Thanks 

TannerPandora

Hi @LkStrikerJames! Thanks for posting. 

Sounds like you may have been able to get Pandora to work in your car. 

At this time, all Pandora automotive implementations require you to use a compatible iPhone or Android with an active internet connection in order to stream music in the car, even with CarPlay or Android Auto. 

Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos