cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesla Browser - Can it run pandora?

bradwww
Underground

hi

i can start Pandora.com on my web browser included in the navigation screen on my Tesla car but it will not play - it says "BUFFERING" and keeps skipping to the next track for a while and then gets locked up. My understanding is this browser is running under Linux. The car has internet included (via AT&T LTE) for music streaming apps but not sure if it will work for pandora running in the browser - anyone have any luck with this setup - maybe a special flag or setting to get this to work?

or is there a plan to add pandora as an app in the Tesla entertainment system? any help would be appreciated! thanks

brad

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Hi @bradwww!

While this is not currently a feature, the best way to get ideas like this heard is by submitting a feature request on Community. There you can search and vote for current feature requests, or submit a new one. Unfortunately, there are far more Linux distributions and configurations than we have the capacity to test, so we do not officially support the use of Pandora on Linux clients.

To learn about the process, check out Community's How Do Requests Become Features? article.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies

jlljjlkjjj
Local Performer

I hope this happens.  I signed up for slacker, since it is already installed, but it won't show any favorite songs.  I have curated my Pandora for 10 years and would love to have it just play at startup like Slacker does in the Tesla.

TannerPandora

Hi @bradwww!

While this is not currently a feature, the best way to get ideas like this heard is by submitting a feature request on Community. There you can search and vote for current feature requests, or submit a new one. Unfortunately, there are far more Linux distributions and configurations than we have the capacity to test, so we do not officially support the use of Pandora on Linux clients.

To learn about the process, check out Community's How Do Requests Become Features? article.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

bradwww
Underground

hello

i am not asking for a feature, i'm asking if it is possible to run the pandora web page on the tesla browser. as i said it tries to run but keeps buffering. is there a setting or adjustment that can be made to make it function in this browser? thanks!

brad

0 Kudos

Epimetheus
Underground

I just want to know why it's not available on as a native app on a Tesla.   There are hundreds of thousands of Tesla owners who want Pandora.    What is it going to take?   Is the problem technical or financial?   Tesla gives us bullsh!t apps like a christmas yule log, farts and light shows but we can't get Pandora.    Children are programming Tesla entertainment.   Who's really playing sonic the hedgehog in their car?

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

bradwww
Underground

again - not asking for a feature - you keep responding with feature requests and i am asking if the pandora web system can be adjusted to run in a browser - yes or no please.

brad

0 Kudos

Epimetheus
Underground

It seems like you're dealing with an automated response.   I am equally frustrated that something this seemingly simple, isn't.

0 Kudos

davidjd24
Local Performer

I've done the same thing as Bradwww. It works but spends way too much time buffering. We need the app or at least a fix for the excessive buffering issue. It shouldn't have to buffer that much!

0 Kudos

m971668
Underground

This is doubtful. 

I asked about Pandora Radio app for the the Model 3 in the USA when I first got mine a few year back. 
There seems to be an unspoken history/"bad-blood" between Tesla and Pandora.  Best answer I could get was that Pandora Radio plays video ads, which doesn't seem to be removable for a Tesla in-car app.  It is strange, since my cell phone is inches away the Model 3 display screen...playing Pandora.  I just need to pay for the cellular minutes. 

I am fairly certain that this "feature request" has been posed to Pandora and Tesla many years ago, so it will be ignored.

0 Kudos

bradwww
Underground
how odd that video ads would be a problem - this device has a screen
but not a viewable screen since the driver can't look - so they should
consider it a smart screenless device like Alexa and play audio ads.
video ads probably bring in more $$$ though so i can see the
problem...
0 Kudos

Epimetheus
Underground
It's seems like it shouldn't be about Pandora (Sirus/XM company) and Tesla,
It should be about their mutual customers. I prefer pandora to Spotify
when it comes to playing music I like based on genre etc. When we hear
about how the algorithms with META and Google are feeding us ads based on
what we consume, it should be easy for Spotify or any other data sucking
company to give us what we like but somehow they make like its some magic
sauce that will cost us.
0 Kudos

m971668
Underground

Here is the Pandora feature request URL:

Please-release-a-native-App-for-Tesla
( https://community.pandora.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Please-release-a-native-App-for-Tesla/idi-p/1040... )

If one is a Twitter user, one could request it of Elon Musk on Twitter...I gather that is how Spotify was requested. 

0 Kudos

m971668
Underground

The web browser that Tesla is using for its car infotainment system probably is a limited-feature web browser, which lacks support for common features found in most web browsers--not like what can be found on iOS or Android, or ChromeOS (ARM laptops). 
AFAIK it doesn't even support Google Identity ( Oauth 2.0 ).
I recall that Tesla is using a Linux based OS (Ubuntu?), but for some reason they aren't using Chrome web browser or a version of Chromium web browser.

0 Kudos

m971668
Underground

Maybe Tesla is using Chromium( ARM) in its cars.  So Pandora "should" work in browser.

FYI Google dropped support for logging into Chromium with Google Id last year.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1109076945189376001?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7C...

0 Kudos

m971668
Underground

I confirmed this.  Pandora does indeed play in the Tesla ( Model 3 ) web browser ( Chromium ).

However; it will only work if the vehicle is in Park.  It will not work if the vehicle is in Drive.

0 Kudos

UNDRE
Local Performer

I got it to play the other day. I was in park and it played but when I put my car in drive it stopped or more accurately, it paused but while driving I pressed play and it played while driving. Remember though, Tesla is still on 4G LTE so that may be fine for Pandora right now.

I would like to note that for at least it was working fine but the browser has to stay up. You won't be able to see the navigation map. As soon as you minimize the browser the music stops. But when it was up I could play my music and hit the thumbs up on a song I liked. I'm back to streaming Pandora and XM from my phone since I typically need the the navigation. I, like many of you, am very frustrated that these two/three companies (Pandora, XM and Tesla) can't come to an agreement and make this happen.

On the Pandora side I bet there's some licensing thing going on. On the Tesla side their ecosystem is so locked down. They don't allow everyone to create apps for them. Surprisingly they added Zoom. hat is an app I would never use from my Tesla so I would definitely take Pandor over that.

0 Kudos