cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Good Monday morning, here is what happened on this day in history of music.

Post 1 of 2:

1962 - Bill Wyman
Bill Wyman made his live debut with The Rolling Stones at the Ricky Tick Club, Star and Garter Hotel in Windsor, England. The group were known as The Rollin' Stones during this period.

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles played a show for their Southern Area Fan Club at Wimbledon Palais, London. To prevent damage to the stage from fans the management of the Palais constructed a platform for The Beatles to perform on, surrounded by a steel cage.

1963 - Dinah Washington
American singer and pianist Dinah Washington died at the age of 39. An autopsy later showed a lethal combination of secobarbital and amobarbital had contributed to her death. Washington gave herself the title of "Queen of the Blues”. She had her first top ten pop hit in 1959 with a version of ‘What a Diff'rence a Day Made’, and then two successful duets in 1960 with Brook Benton, ‘Baby (You've Got What It Takes)’ and ‘A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around and Fall in Love).

1967 - The Rolling Stones
Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones was rushed to St Georges hospital in London after collapsing. A doctor reported Jones was tired and suffering from over strain and was also recovering from having some teeth out.

1968 - Marvin Gaye
Marvin Gaye scored his first US No.1 single when 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' started a five-week run at the top of the charts. It was Marvin's 15th solo hit and also his first UK No.1 single in March 69. Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong in 1966, the single was first recorded by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles as well as Gladys Knight & the Pips.

1969 - Ed Sullivan
The Jackson Five made their first network television appearance in the US when they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.

1971 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin IV was riding high in the Top 10 of the US album charts. In 2006, the album was rated No.1 on Classic Rock magazine's '100 Greatest British Albums' poll, and No.1 in a poll conducted by Guitar World. The album has now sold over 23 million copies in the US. The typeface for the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven, printed on the inside sleeve of the album, was Jimmy Page's contribution. He found it in an old arts and crafts magazine from the late 19th century. He thought the lettering was interesting and arranged for a designer to create a whole alphabet.

1972 - Ringo Starr
Born To Boogie the Ringo Starr directed movie premiered in London. The film was based around a concert at Wembley Empire Pool, London, England starring Ringo Starr, Marc Bolan and T. Rex and was released on The Beatles Apple Films label.

1973 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen appeared at the Pinecrest Country Club, Shelton, Connecticut. Only 200 tickets were sold for the show.

1979 - The Clash
The Clash released their third studio album London Calling. The double album received widespread acclaim and was ranked at number eight on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time in 2003 and was ranked as the sixth-greatest album of the 1970s by NME.

1980 - Yoko Ono
Yoko Ono called on fans to observe ten minutes of silence in memory of John Lennon. 30,000 gathered outside St George's Hall in Liverpool, while nearly 100,000 attend a memorial in New York's Central Park.

1985 - Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston scored her first UK No.1 single with 'Saving All My Love For You'. The song which was written by Michael Masser and Gerry Goffin, had been a minor hit for Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. in 1978 and was also a US No.1 for Houston.

1991 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with his eighth studio album 'Dangerous'. The album has sold over 32 million copies worldwide making it one of the best selling albums of all time. Nine singles were released from the album spanning two years (1991–1993).

1997 - Kurt Winter
Canadian guitarist and songwriter Kurt Winter died of kidney failure at the age of 51. He was a member of Brother and The Guess Who (replacing guitarist Randy Bachman), who scored the 1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman'. Winter penned the hit singles ‘Bus Rider’ and ‘Hand Me Down World’, both of which were hits for The Guess Who.

1998 - Billy Preston
Billy Preston pleaded guilty to insurance fraud in a Los Angeles court and agreed to testify against six other defendants who allegedly participated in starting fires, staging thefts and rigging car crashes for which a total of 18 fraudulent insurance claims were filed. Preston received five years of probation and one year in jail to run concurrently with a sentence he was already serving for violating probation on a prior conviction for cocaine possession.

1999 - Paul McCartney
Sir Paul McCartney appeared at The Cavern Club Liverpool, England in front of 300 people with David Gilmour, Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice, Pete Wingfield on keyboards and the legendary Mick Green (of Johnny Kidd & The Pirates) on guitar. It marked McCartney's last gig of the year and the 20th Century. His last gig at the venue was in 1963. The show went out as a live webcast and was estimated to have been watched by some three million people worldwide (a record at the time for an online audience), BBC Radio 2 broadcast the show live and BBC1 TV also aired the historic performance.

2003 - Ozzy Osbourne
Ozzy & Kelly Osbourne went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Changes' a remake of a track first sung by Ozzy on the Black Sabbath album Volume IV in 1972. It was the first father and daughter chart topper since Frank & Nancy Sinatra in 1967.

2004 - Dimebag
The funeral took place in Arlington, Texas for Damageplan and Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell, Eddie Van Halen, placed Darrell’s original black and yellow stripes guitar into the KISS Kasket he was buried in. Several thousand fans and friends gathered at the Arlington Convention Center in Arlington, to mourn the guitarist’s death. Darrell was shot five times in the back of the head during a gig at the Alrosa Villa Club in Columbus on 8th Dec 04 by a mentally ill former US Marine. Damageplan's drum technician, John Brooks, and tour manager, Chris Paluska, were both injured in the incident.

2006 - Ahmet Ertegun
The co-founder of Atlantic Records Ahmet Ertegun died, aged 83. Ertegun who founded Atlantic Records with Herb Abramson in 1947 helped make Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin stars and signed The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin in the early 70s. He suffered a head injury when he fell at a Rolling Stones concert at New York's Beacon Theatre in October, and died after slipping into a coma.

2011 - Reg Presley
The Troggs singer Reg Presley was hospitalized in Winchester, England, with what was suspected to be a stroke. Presley had become ill during a gig in Germany a few days earlier.

2011 - Billie Jo Spears
American country music singer Billie Jo Spears died of cancer age 74. She reached the top 10 of the US country music chart five times between 1969 and 1977, her biggest being ‘Blanket on the Ground’, a 1975 No.1 hit. One of Spears's first singles was 'Harper Valley PTA', but her single release was beaten off the presses by Jeannie C. Riley's version which became a monster crossover hit, while Spears's failed to chart.

2015 - Adele
Adele was at No.1 on both the UK and US chart with her third album 25. The album was a massive commercial success, debuting at No.1 in more than 25 markets and broke first-week sales records in many countries, including the UK and US. 25 eventually became the world's best-selling album of 2015 with 17.4 million copies sold within the year, and has sold 20 million copies as of June 2016, making it one of the best selling albums worldwide.

2018 - Joe Osborn
American bass guitar player Joe Osborn died aged 81. He was known for his work as a session musician in Los Angeles and Nashville during the 1960s through the 1980s. As a member of The Wrecking Crew his playing can be heard on records by; The Mamas & the Papas, The Carpenters, The Association and The 5th Dimension. Osborn can be heard on Simon & Garfunkel's 'Bridge Over Trouble Water' and the 5th Dimension's version of ‘Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In’.

2019 - Rod Stewart
Sir Rod Stewart became the oldest male solo artist to have a No,1 album in the UK when the singer's 10th chart topper You're In My Heart went to the top of the charts. Sir Rod, who was 74 years and 11 months old, took the accolade which was previously held by American singer Paul Simon.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Born On This Day In The Music World.

Post 2 of 2:

1932 - Charlie Rich
Charlie Rich singer and musician. In the latter part of his life, Rich who acquired the nickname The Silver Fox is best remembered for his 1973 hits, 'Behind Closed Doors' and 'The Most Beautiful Girl'. Rich died in his sleep on July 25, 1995 aged 62.

1938 - Gary Usher
Gary Usher, producer, songwriter. Worked with The Byrds, he co-wrote The Beach Boys, 'In My Room'. Usher died on 25th May 1990.

1942 - **ahem** Wagner
**ahem** Wagner, American rock music guitarist, songwriter who worked with Alice Cooper and Lou Reed. He died from a lung infection aged 71. Wagner had also written songs with Kiss and Aerosmith.

1943 - Frank Allen
Frank Allen, The Searchers, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Needles And Pins').

1946 - Jackie McAuley
Jackie McAuley, keyboards with the Northern Irish band Them who had the 1965 UK hits 'Baby, Please Don't Go' and 'Here Comes The Night' with Van Morrison on lead vocals. Morrison quit the band in 1966 and went on to a successful career as a solo artist.

1946 - Jane Birkin
Jane Birkin, English actress, singer, and songwriter who had the 1969 UK No.1 single with Serge Gainsbourg 'Je t'aime...Moi non plus', the only French language UK chart- topper. She is also known as being the namesake of the popular Hermès Birkin bag.

1946 - Joyce Wilson
Joyce Vincent Wilson, singer from American pop music group Dawn who were popular in the 1970s. Their signature hits include 'Candida', 'Knock Three Times', and 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree'.

1949 - Cliff Williams
Cliff Williams, bass player for Australian rock band AC/DC, (he replaced Mark Evans in 1977). The bands 1980 UK No.1 & US No.14 album Back In Black sold over 49 million copies.

1958 - Mike Scott
Mike Scott, singer, songwriter, The Waterboys, (1991 UK No.3 single 'Whole Of The Moon', first released 1985).

1958 - Peter Stacy
Peter 'Spider' Stacy, tin whistle, from Irish-British Celtic punk band The Pogues who scored the 1987 UK No.8 single 'The Irish Rover' and the 1987 UK No.2 single with Kirsty MaCcoll, 'Fairytale Of New York'.

1966 - Tim Skold
Tim Skold, bassist, with American rock band Marilyn Manson who had the 1998 US No.1 album, Mechanical Animals.

1970 - Beth Orton
Beth Orton, English singer-songwriter, known for her 'folktronica' sound, which mixes elements of folk and electronica.

1979 - Sophie Monk
Sophie Monk, Australian singer from Bardot, winners of the Australian Popstars reality show, who had the 2000 Australian No.1 single ‘Poison’, and 2000 Australian No.1 self-titled album.

1987 - Alex Gaskarth
English-American singer, songwriter, guitarist, Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low. Their 2015 album Future Hearts peaked at No.1 on the UK chart and No.2 on the US chart.

1988 - Vanessa Hudgens
Vanessa Hudgens, American actress and singer from High School Musical, as part of the cast had the 2006 US No.1 ‘High School Musical’ album and 2007, US No.1 ‘High School Musical 2’ album. Over 17 million viewers in the United States watched the TV premier of High School Musical; making it the highest rated basic cable broadcast in U.S. history.

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

This day in music history for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1943 - Fats Waller
American jazz pianist, organist, composer, singer, and comedic entertainer Fats Waller died of pneumonia on a train trip near Kansas City, Missouri. Waller wrote many songs including 'Ain't Misbehavin', 'Your Feet's Too Big' and 'The Reefer Song'. In 1926 Waller was kidnapped at gunpoint in Chicago and driven to a club owned by gangster Al Capone. Inside the club he was ordered to perform at what turned out to be a surprise birthday party for the gangster. He enjoyed success touring the United Kingdom and Ireland in the 1930s, appearing on one of the first BBC television broadcasts on September 30, 1938.

1944 - Hank Williams
Hank Williams married Audrey Sheppard, with the ceremony taking place at a filling station. Their son, Randall Hank Williams would achieve fame in his own right as Hank Williams Jr., who was born on May 26, 1949. The marriage ended in divorce on May 29, 1952.

1944 - Glenn Miller
American big-band musician, arranger, composer, and bandleader Glenn Miller was killed when his aircraft disappeared in bad weather over the English Channel while traveling to entertain US troops in France during World War II. Miller was the best-selling recording artist from 1939 to 1943, leading one of the best-known big bands. In just four years Glenn Miller scored 23 No.1 hits. Miller's recordings include 'In the Mood', 'Moonlight Serenade', 'Pennsylvania 6-5000', and 'Chattanooga Choo Choo'.

1956 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley gave his final performance on Louisiana Hayride, a live radio program that was broadcast on KWKH in Shreveport, Louisiana. Presley made 50 appearances on the show. At the end of the show, Horace Logan first made the now legendary phrase ‘Elvis has left the building’.

1962 - The Beatles
The Beatles played two separate shows at the same venue, the Majestic Ballroom in Birkenhead, Merseyside. First they played a standard Majestic booking then at midnight, the first-ever "Mersey Beat" poll awards show took place. As poll winners, The Beatles closed the show (at 4:00 am).

1969 - John Lennon
John Lennon played what would be his final ever gig in the UK when he appeared at The Lyceum Ballroom, London, with the Plastic Ono Band in a UNICEF 'Peace For Christmas' benefit. George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Delaney and Bonnie, Billy Preston and The Who's drummer, Keith Moon also took part.

1973 - Charlie Rich
Charlie Rich started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the country & western ballad 'The Most Beautiful Girl', the singers only No.1 single, was also a No.2 hit in the UK.

1977 - Johnny Rotten
The Sex Pistols were refused entry into the USA two days before a scheduled NBC TV appearance. Johnny Rotten because of a drugs conviction, Paul Cook & Sid Vicious because of 'moral turpitude' and Steve Jones because of his criminal record.

1979 - U2
U2 appeared at the Windsor Castle Pub, Harrow Road, London, admission was free.

1979 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd started a five week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)' their only UK chart topper. The song, which was also the final No.1 single of the 1970s, received a Grammy nomination for Best Performance by a Rock Duo or Group, but Floyd lost to Bob Seger's Against the Wind.

1984 - Bob Geldof
Do They Know It's Christmas? by Band Aid entered the UK chart at No.1 and stayed at the top for five weeks. It became the biggest selling UK single of all time with sales over 3 and a half million. Band Aid was masterminded by former Boomtown Rats singer Bob Geldof, who had been moved by a TV news story of famine in Ethiopia. Geldof had the idea of raising funds with a one-off charity single featuring the cream of the current pop world. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Paul Young, Culture Club, George Michael, Sting, Bono, Phil Collins, Paul Weller, Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt of Status Quo and Bananarama all appeared on the recording.

1988 - James Brown
Soul singer James Brown was sentenced to six years in prison for various offences including possession of weapons and resisting arrest.

1990 - Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart married New Zealand model Rachel Hunter in Beverly Hills. Stewart was quoted as saying 'I Found the Girl that I Want, I won't be putting my banana in anybody's fruit bowl from now on'. They split in 1999.

1997 - Spice Girls
'Spice World The Movie', featuring The Spice Girls premiered at The Empire, Leicester Sq, London. The following year it was nominated for the 'worst film' at the Golden Raspberry Awards.

1998 - Michael Barrett
Backstreet Boys roadie Michael Barrett filed a $3 million lawsuit against the group claiming damages after a 50-pound cannon fell on his head during a show.

1999 - Boy George
Boy George was knocked unconscious when a mirror ball fell on his head during a show in Dorset, England.

1999 - Malcolm McLaren
Former Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren announced that he was running for the Mayor of London. He said he would be campaigning for brothels, pot shops and boozing in libraries. "I changed London with the Sex Pistols, I can change London as Mayor."

2001 - Eagles
Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh was given an honorary Doctorate of Music from Kent State University in Ohio.

2001 - Rufus Thomas
American funk and soul singer Rufus Thomas died of heart failure aged 84. He began his career as a tap dancer, vaudeville performer, and master of ceremonies in the 1930s. He later worked as a disc jockey on radio station WDIA in Memphis. He recorded on Sun Records in the 1950s and on Stax Records in the 1960s and 1970s. Thomas scored the 1963 US No.10 single 'Walking The Dog' and the 1970 UK No.18 & US No.28 single 'Do The Funky Chicken' and the 1970 hit ‘(Do the) Push and Pull (1970). A street is named in his honour, just off Beale Street in Memphis.

2002 - Elton John
Blue featuring Elton John went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.' Previously a No.11 hit for Elton in 1976. It gave Elton only his 5th No 1 after over 30 years of hits.

2003 - Courtney Love
Courtney Love was sentenced to 18 months in drug rehabilitation after she admitted being under the influence of cocaine and opiates. She was banned from taking non-prescription drugs, drinking alcohol or being in places that serve alcohol.

2008 - Madonna
Madonna paid former husband Guy Ritchie around £50m as part of their divorce settlement. The singers US spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg told The Associated Press the figure included the value of the couple's Ashcombe home in England, and the financial part of the settlement had been worked out but custody of the couple's children had yet to be finalized.

2010 - Pink Floyd
Various Pink Floyd items were sold at an Entertainment Memorabilia auction by Bonhams in Knightsbridge London. A demo pressing of the single 'Point Me To The Sky/Careful With That Axe Eugene' sold for £720. Pink Floyd signatures, in various blue marker pens on four separate pieces of paper mounted and framed together with a copy of The Dark Side Of The Moon sold for £624.00 and a demo pressing of the single by Syd Barrett 'Octopus' / 'Golden Hair' from 1969, misspelt 'Barratt' corrected in ink on A-side, sold for £300.

2014 - Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift was at No.1 on the US album chart with her fifth studio album 1989. The album eventually became the best-selling album of 2014 in the US market and had sold over 5.7 million copies by the end of 2015, while selling 9.5 million worldwide. Seven singles have been released from the set.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1919 - Max Yasgur
Max Yasgur, owner of the Woodstock farm where the 1969 festival was held. Yasgur died of a heart attack on 8th February 1973 aged 53.

1921 - Alan Freed
Alan Freed, American DJ. The man who gave 'Rock 'n' Roll' its name. Died 20th January 1965.

1938 - Jerry Wallace
Jerry Wallace, US singer, (1959 US No.8 single 'Primrose Lane').

1939 - Cindy Birdsong
Cindy Birdsong, American singer The Supremes joined in 1968, when she replaced co-founding member Florence Ballard. Birdsong had previously been a member of Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles.

1942 - Dave Clark
English musician, songwriter, record producer and entrepreneur Dave Clark, from English pop rock band, Dave Clark Five, who scored the 1964 UK No.1 single 'Glad All Over', and the 1965 US No.1 single 'Over And Over' , plus over 15 other UK top 40 singles.

1946 - Harry Ray
Harry Ray, Moments, (1970 US No.3 single 'Love On A Two-Way Street', 1975 UK No.3 single 'Girls').

1946 - Carmine Appice
Carmine Appice, drummer, Vanilla Fudge, (1968 US No.6 single 'You Keep Me Hangin' On'). Also a member of Beck, Bogart and Appice and the Rod Stewart band.

1947 - Bob Berryhill
American guitarist Bob Berryhill from The Surfaris who had the 1963 US No.2 & UK No.3 single 'Wipe Out.'

1949 - Don Johnson
Don Johnson, actor, singer, (Miami Vice), (1986 US No.5 & UK No.46 single, 'Heartbeat').

1954 - Royce Jones
Grammy-winning American musician Royce Jones best known for his work as a touring vocalist with the bands Steely Dan (in 1973 and 1974) and Ambrosia (joined 1978).

1955 - Paul Simonon
Paul Simonon, bassist with The Clash, who had the 1979 UK No. 11 single 'London Calling' and the 1982 US No. 8 single 'Rock The Casbah. Their 1991 UK No.1 single 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go', was first released 1982.

1956 - Kit Hain
Kit Hain, English musician and songwriter. She formed the British pop-rock duo Marshall Hain well known for their 1978 hit 'Dancing In The City'.

1957 - Tim Reynolds
Tim Reynolds, American multi-instrumentalist with the Dave Matthews Band. Dave Matthews Band are the first group to have six consecutive studio albums debut at the top of the US charts.

1961 - Nick Beggs
Nick Beggs, bass, Kajagoogoo, (1983 UK No.1 single 'Too Shy'), also a member of the Howard Jones band.

1979 - Edele Lynch
Edele Lynch and Keavy Lynch, singers, B*Witched, (1998 UK No.1 single 'C'est La Vie').

1980 - Sergio Pizzorno
Sergio Pizzorno, guitar, vocals, Kasabian, (2005 UK No.8 single 'Cutt Off', 2006 UK No.1 album ‘Empire’). Kasabian won a Brit Award in 2010 for Best British Group.

MOHLovesAlaska

This day in music history for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1965 - The Beatles
Released as a double A side The Beatles 'Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out', became their ninth UK No.1 and their third Christmas chart topper in a row. The single was a US No.1 in January 1966.

1966 - Jimi Hendrix
The first Jimi Hendrix Experience single 'Hey Joe', was released in the UK on Polydor records, the track had been rejected by the Decca label. It went on to be a No.6 hit in the UK, but failed to chart in America. Chas Chandler, who was now managing Hendrix had seen Folk singer Tim Rose perform the song at the Cafe Wha? in New York City.

1967 - Marianne Faithfull
The Rolling Stones announced that Marianne Faithfull was the first signing to their 'Mother Earth' label.

1970 - Credence Clearwater Revival
Five singles and five albums by Credence Clearwater Revival were certified gold in the US. The singles were: ‘Down on the Corner’, ‘Lookin out My Back Door’, ‘Travelin' Band’, ‘Bad Moon Rising’ and ‘Up around the Bend’. The LPs were ‘Cosmo's Factory’, ‘Willy and the Poor Boys’, ‘Green River’, ‘Bayou Country’ and ‘Credence Clearwater Revival’.

1971 - Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa's '200 Motels' film opened at London's Piccadilly Classic Cinema in the UK. The film which also featured Ringo Star, covers a loose storyline about The Mothers of Invention going crazy in the small town Centerville.

1972 - Billy Paul
Billy Paul started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Me and Mrs. Jones', a No.12 hit in the UK. The song which describes an extramarital affair between a man and his lover, was later recorded by Michael Bublé.

1974 - Mick Taylor
Guitarist Mick Taylor announced he was leaving The Rolling Stones saying he felt that now was the time to move on and do something new.

1988 - Sylvester James
American soul and disco singer Sylvester James died of complications from AIDS in San Francisco aged 41. Scored the 1978 US No.36 & UK No.8 single 'You Make Me Feel, Mighty Real'. He sang back-up vocals for Aretha Franklin on her 1985 Who's Zoomin' Who’ Album.

1989 - Billy Joel
Billy Joel went to No.1 on the US album chart with his 11th studio release 'Storm Front'. The album featured one of Joel's three No.1 hits, 'We Didn't Start the Fire', a fast-paced song, mentioning some of the major historical events that took place in his time, and 'Leningrad', Joel's take on the end of the Cold War.

1991 - Chubby Checker
Chubby Checker filed a lawsuit against McDonald's in Canada seeking $14million for it's alleged use of an imitation of his voice. The song 'The Twist' had been used on a French fries commercial.

1993 - Nirvana
MTV aired Nirvana's 'Unplugged' session for the first time. The album featured an acoustic performance taped at Sony Music Studios in New York City on November 18, 1993. Unlike many artists who appeared on the show, Nirvana filmed its entire performance in a single take with the band's fourteen-song setlist included six cover versions.

1997 - Nicolette Larson
American singer songwriter Nicolette Larson died aged 45 of complications arising from cerebral edema. Worked with Neil Young, (Comes a Time and Harvest Moon albums), Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Michael McDonald, Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffett, The Beach Boys and The Doobie Brothers. Best known for her 1978 cover of Neil Young ‘Lotta Love’.

2000 - LeAnn Rimes
The estranged father and former manager of LeAnn Rimes made embarrassing allegations during a legal battle involving millions of pounds. One fact told in court was that LeAnn paid her mother £6,700 every time she styled her hair before a show.

2001 - Stuart Adamson
Scottish guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter Stuart Adamson, lead singer of Big Country was found dead in Hawaii a month after disappearing from his home. His body was found in a closet in his room at the Best Western Plaza Hotel in Honolulu. The 43-year musician had fought a long battle against alcoholism. Adamson had been due to face drunk-driving charges in March 2002 and had been ordered to attend Alcoholics Anonymous. Adamson founded Scottish art-punk band Skids in 1977 and in the 1990s he founded alternative country rock act The Raphaels.

2001 - Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Frank and Nancy Sinatra 1967 No.1 hit 'Somethin' Stupid'. The Christmas No.1 for this year. From William's album Swing When You're Winning.

2003 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson was out on police bail of $3m after being arrested following allegations of child abuse. The 45-year-old singer strenuously denied the allegations, calling them a big lie. Following the allegations of child abuse a special information web site was set up by the District Attorney's office because of the level of media interest in the case. Mr Jackson, who was arrested, cited and released after surrendering to police on 20th November, was due to appear in court on 9 January.

2004 - Ozzy Osbourne
Gold and silver Black Sabbath discs were stolen from the Kent home of Ozzy Osbourne's former manager Patrick Meehan. Police recovered the discs a week later after they were offered for sale on the internet auction site eBay.

2005 - The Beatles
The surviving Beatles and relatives of the band's late members began legal action against EMI to get royalties allegedly worth £30m. Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and relations of George Harrison and John Lennon claimed EMI owed record royalties to their company Apple Corps.

2007 - Dan Fogelberg
American singer songwriter Dan Fogelberg died at his home in Maine at the age of 56. The US singer, songwriter discovered he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004. Had the 1981 album ‘The Innocent Age’, which featured the hits ‘Leader of the Band,’ ‘Hard to Say,’ and ‘Run for the Roses.’

2011 - The Beatles
An ultra-rare 'Beatles VI' in-store promotional poster sold at an eBay auction for $6,300. Seventeen bids were placed before the 20 - 28 inch rarity sold. Beatles VI Is Here! was printed in block letters across the top of the black-and-white photo of the Fab Four, with album art of the first five records printed along the bottom edge. Going, Going, Gone.

2013 - Miley Cyrus
It was reported that Miley Cyrus had insured her infamous tongue for $1 million. A source told Heat magazine: "Miley's totally aware of how her tongue is getting more headlines than she is, and getting it insured is just part of her trademarked image. It's not the first time she's done something like this - when she first cut her hair short, she tried to get her new crop patented. She wanted it to become known as The Miley".

End of post 1 of 2. 
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1934 - Karl Denver
Karl Denver, UK singer, (1962 UK No.4 single 'Wimoweh', 1990 UK No.46 hit 'Lazyitis - One Armed Boxer' with Happy Mondays). Denver died on 21st December 1998.

1937 - Jim Glaser
American country musician Jim Glaser. With The Glaser Brothers they charted nine singles on the Billboard Hot Country Singles charts and became members of the Grand Ole Opry in the 1960s. He died on 6 April 2019 aged 81.

1945 - Tony Hicks
Tony Hicks, guitarist with British pop/rock group The Hollies who have scored over 30 top 40 hits, including 'Just One Look', 'Bus Stop', 'Carrie Anne', and later 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother' and 'The Air That I Breathe'.

1946 - Benny Andersson
Benny Andersson, Swedish musician, composer. In October 1964 he joined the Hep Stars as keyboardist and they made a breakthrough in March 1965 with their hit 'Cadillac', eventually becoming the most celebrated of the Swedish 1960s pop bands. With ABBA they scored the UK 1974 No.1 single 'Waterloo', followed by 8 other UK No.1 singles and 9 UK No.1 albums and the 1977 US No.1 single 'Dancing Queen'. Andersson was co-composer of the musicals Chess, Kristina från Duvemåla, and Mamma Mia!. For the 2008 film version of Mamma Mia!, he worked also as an executive producer. Since 2001, he is active with his own band Benny Anderssons orkester.

1949 - Bill Gibbons
Bill Gibbons, American musician, singer, songwriter, producer, and actor. Moving Sidewalks (who opened for Jimi Hendrix on his first US tour). Gibbons formed ZZ Top in late 1969 and released ZZ Top's first album in 1971. He was ranked at number 32 on the 2011 Rolling Stone list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.

1951 - Robben Ford
Robben Ford, American blues, jazz, and rock guitarist. He was a member of the L.A. Express and has collaborated with Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, George Harrison, Larry Carlton and Kiss. He was named one of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of the 20th Century" by Musician magazine.

1959 - Steven Irvine
Steven Irvine, drummer from British pop band Lloyd Cole And The Commotions who had the 1985 UK hit single 'Brand New Friend'. Between 1984 and 1989, the band scored four Top 20 albums and five Top 40 singles in the UK.

1972 - Michael McCary
Michael McCary, from American R&B vocal group Boyz II Men, who had the 1992 US & UK No.1 single 'End Of The Road' which set a new record for longevity, staying at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for thirteen weeks, breaking the decades-old record held by Elvis Presley.

1997 - Zara Larsson
Swedish singer and songwriter Zara Larsson. Her debut album, So Good was released in March 2017 and debuted at No.7 on the UK Albums Chart. She had the UK No.1 single 'Symphony with Clean Bandit.

MOHLovesAlaska

This day in music history for this Thursday.

Post 1 of 2:

1960 - The Beatles
Returning from Hamburg, The Beatles appeared at the Casbah Coffee Club in Liverpool. Chas Newby joined The Beatles on bass guitar (to replace Stuart Sutcliffe, who had remained in Hamburg), a position he would hold for only two weeks and four performances. When Newby bowed out to return to college, Paul McCartney became The Beatles' bass player.

1962 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan arrived in England for the first time; he played his first UK date the following night at the Troubadour Club in London.

1963 - The Beatles
James Carroll at WWDC in Washington, DC, became the first disc jockey to broadcast a Beatles record on American radio. Carroll played 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', which he had obtained from his stewardess girlfriend, who brought the single back from the UK. Due to listener demand, the song was played daily, every hour. Since it hadn't been released yet in the States, Capitol Records initially considered court action, but instead released the single earlier than planned.

1968 - The Who
The Who played their Christmas party at the The Marquee Club London. Also on the bill was a new group called Yes. Members 15 shillings, ($1.80) or £1 ($2.40) on the night. Other acts appearing at the club this month included Joe Cocker, Free and Led Zeppelin.

1971 - David Bowie
David Bowie released his fourth album Hunky Dory, which was the first to feature all the members of the band that would become known the following year as Ziggy Stardust's Spiders From Mars. Two singles were released from the album: 'Changes' / 'Andy Warhol' in January 1972 and 'Life on Mars' which was released late June 1973. Bowie himself considered the album to be one of the most important in his career.

1973 - Slade
Slade were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Merry Christmas Everybody' their sixth chart topper. It has been released during every decade since 1973, and has been covered by numerous artists. In a 2007 poll, 'Merry Christmas Everybody' was voted the UK's most popular Christmas song.

1977 - George Harrison
George Harrison played an unannounced live set for the regulars at his local pub in Henley-On-Thames near his home in the UK.

1982 - Big Joe Williams
American Delta blues musician and songwriter Big Joe Williams died in Macon, Mississippi aged 79. Wrote 'Baby Please Don't Go', a 1965 UK Top 10 for Them, (featuring Van Morrison).

1982 - Karen Carpenter
Karen Carpenter made her last live appearance with The Carpenters when she performed in Sherman, California. Carpenter suffered from anorexia nervosa, the eating disorder which was a little-known illness at the time. She died at the age of 32 from heart failure, on February 4, 1983 caused by complications related to her illness.

1983 - Duran Duran
Culture Club, Duran Duran and The Police all appeared on the children's UK TV show Saturday Superstore.

1994 - The Four Seasons
A remixed version of The Four Seasons' "December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night)" re-entered the US Hot 100, where it stayed for another 27 weeks, just as it did when it first charted in 1976. The combined run will establish a record for the longest total chart appearance in US chart history.

1995 - Frank Zappa
A statue of the late Frank Zappa was unveiled in Vilnius, the capital of the Republic Of Lithuania. It had been organized by Zappa fan club President Saulius Pauksty.

1999 - Grover Washington
American jazz-funk, soul-jazz saxophonist Grover Washington Jr died of a heart attack aged 56. He collapsed in the green room after taping four songs for The Early Show, at CBS Studios in New York City, He released over 20 solo albums and featured on the 1981 Bill Withers hit ‘Just The Two of Us.’

2004 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley's daughter Lisa Marie Presley agreed to sell 85% of his estate to businessman Robert Sillerman in a deal worth $100m. Sillerman would run Presley's Memphis home Graceland, and own Elvis' name and the rights to all revenue from his music and films. In the deal Lisa Marie would retain possession of Graceland and many of her father's ‘personal effects.’

2005 - U2
U2 had the top-grossing tour of 2005, according to Billboard. More than three million people watched the band's sell-out 90-date Vertigo tour which grossed $260m (£146.6m). The Eagles, took $117m (£66m) from 77 shows and Neil Diamond grossed more than $71m (£40m). Kenny Chesney was fourth with $63m (£35.5m), Paul McCartney $60m (£33.8m), Rod Stewart with $49m (£27m), Elton John with $45.5m (£25.6m), Dave Matthews Band with $45m (£25.3m), Jimmy Buffett with $41m (£23m) and Green Day with $36.5m (£20.5m).

2006 - Denis Payton
English saxophonist Denis Payton died. Member of Dave Clark Five who had the 1964 UK No.1 single 'Glad All Over', 1965 US No.1 single 'Over And Over', plus over 15 other UK top 40 singles.

2010 - Captain Beefheart
Captain Beefheart died aged 69 from complications from multiple sclerosis. The American musician, singer-songwriter, artist and poet born Don Glen Vliet in Glendale, California recorded 13 studio albums.

2010 - Paul McCartney
Sir Paul McCartney performed an intimate lunchtime gig at the 100 Club on London's Oxford Street, the historic music venue threatened with closure. Around 300 fans were treated to a set lasting almost two hours, in what was McCartney’s smallest gig in the UK for nearly 10 years. A campaign to keep the 100 Club open had attracted support from Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie and Sir Mick Jagger.

2012 - Adele
Adele was named Billboard's top artist of 2012, while her hit record 21 was named top album of the year in the music magazine's annual review. The 24-year-old became the first to receive both accolades two years in a row. The year's top three songs were 'Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know', Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' and Fun's 'We Are Young'. respectively.

2015 - Liam Gallagher
A London judge said he was concerned at how much Liam Gallagher and his ex-wife Nicole Appleton were spending in a legal dispute over how their assets should be split after it was revealed that the pair had spent over £800,000 on legal fees. Judge O'Dwyer decided their money and property should be divided equally, with each receiving £5.4m.

End of post 1of 2.
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1936 - Tommy Steele
Tommy Steele, singer, actor, (1957 UK No.1 single 'Singing The Blues', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles).

1937 - Art Neville
Art Neville, vocals, piano, The Neville Brothers, who had the 1989 UK hit 'With God On Our Side'. Art was a founding member of The Meters, whose musical style represents New Orleans funk. He also played on recordings by many notable artists including Labelle (on "Lady Marmalade"), Paul McCartney, Lee Dorsey, Robert Palmer, Dr. John and Professor Longhair. He died on 22 July 2019 aged 81.

1939 - Eddie Kendricks
American singer Eddie Kendricks who with The Temptations had the 1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and the re-issued 'My Girl' which was a UK No.2 hit in 1992. Died on 5th October 1992.

1942 - Paul Butterfield
Paul Butterfield, blues singer, harmonica player, (1965 album 'Paul Butterfield Blues Band'). Appeared at The Bands, 'Last Waltz'. Died on 4th May 1987.

1943 - David Dee
David Dee, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich, (1968 UK No.1 single 'Legend Of Xanadu'). Dee died on 9th Jan 2009 at the age of 65, following a three-year battle with cancer. The singer, whose real name was David Harman, was originally a police officer and as a police cadet was called to the scene of the car crash that killed Eddie Cochrane during a UK tour in 1960.

1947 - Jim Hodder
American drummer Jim Hodder, Steely Dan, (1973 US No.11 single 'Reeling In The Years'). He also played drums on Linda Ronstadt's 1974 single 'You're No Good'. Hodder drowned at his home swimming pool on 5th June 1990 aged 42.

1949 - Paul Rodgers
Paul Rodgers, singer, guitarist, Free, (1970 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'All Right Now'). Bad Company, (1974 UK No.15 single 'Can't Get Enough'). Also a member of The Firm, with Jimmy Page.

1950 - Carlton Barrett
Carlton Barrett, The Wailers, (1983 UK No.4 single with Bob Marley, Buffalo Soldier', plus 10 other UK Top 40 singles). Barrett was shot dead outside his home on 17th April 1987.

1951 - Wanda Hutchinson
Wanda Hutchinson, The Emotions, (1977 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Best Of My Love').

1958 - Mike Mills
Mike Mills, bass, R.E.M. (1991 UK No.6 & US No.10 single 'Shiny Happy People', plus over 20 Top 40 UK singles, 1992 UK No.1 & US No.2 album 'Automatic For The People').

1959 - Bob Stinson
Bob Stinson, guitarist, from American rock band The Replacements, who released the 1984 album Let It Be. Initially a punk rock band, they are considered pioneers of alternative rock. Stinson, a long-term alcoholic and drug addict, died on February 18, 1995.

1962 - Sarah Dallin
Sarah Dallin, singer with British female pop group Bananarama who had the 1984 UK No.3 single 'Robert De Niro's Waiting', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles, and the 1986 US No.1 single 'Venus' a cover of the Dutch rock band Shocking Blue 1970 hit.

1969 - Micky Quinn
Micky Quinn, bassist from English rock band Supergrass who had the 1995 UK No.2 single 'Alright'. Their 1995 UK No.1 album I Should Coco spent 35 weeks on the UK chart.

1970 - DJ Homicide
DJ Homicide, from American rock band Sugar Ray who had the 1999 UK No. 10 single 'Every Morning'.

1973 - Eddie Fisher
Eddie Fisher, drummer and percussionist in OneRepublic who had the 2013 UK No.1 hit 'Counting Stars'.

1978 - Neil Christopher
Neil Christopher, drummer, from Canadian rock band Three Days Grace. The band has a string of No.1 songs on the Billboard Alternative Songs Chart.

1989 - Taylor York
Taylor York, guitarist, from American rock band Paramore, who had the 2009 UK No.1 album Brand New Eyes and their 2013 self-titled fourth studio album hit No.1 on the US chart.

Sorry for the late post. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  
MOHLovesAlaska

This day in music history for this Friday.

Post 1 of 2:

1961 - Tokens
The Tokens started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'; it reached No.11 in the UK. REM included a live version of the song on the 1993 'Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight' single.

1962 - The Beatles
On their fifth visit to West Germany The Beatles played the first night of a two-week engagement at the Star-Club, Hamburg. A 13 night run, playing 3 hours each night. The final night's performance was recorded and became known as ‘The Star-Club Tapes’, released in 1977 against the wishes of the ex-Beatles themselves.

1966 - The Rolling Stones
Tara Browne was killed when driving at high speed in his Lotus Elan after it collided with a parked lorry in South Kensington, London. A close friend of The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and Brian Jones his death was immortalized in The Beatles song 'A Day In The Life’ after John Lennon read a report on the coroner's verdict into Browne's death.

1971 - T Rex
T. Rex scored their first No.1 album with their sixth release 'Electric Warrior'. The album which became the biggest seller of the year in the UK contained two of T. Rex's most popular songs, 'Get It On' and 'Jeepster.'

1972 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan starting filming his role in the American western drama Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid along with James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson. Dylan composed the score and songs for the film, most prominently 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'.

1982 - Hall and Oates
Hall and Oates started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Maneater', the duo's fifth US No.1 and biggest hit in the UK reaching No.6 on the charts.

1982 - Renee And Renato
UK-based Italian tenor and English girl Renee And Renato were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Save Your Love', the duo's only UK Top 40 hit and this years Christmas No.1.

1983 - Keith Richards
Rolling Stones' guitarist Keith Richards married 27-year old Patti Hansen on his 40th birthday.

1983 - Jimmy Nolan
American guitarist Jimmy Nolan, died of a heart attack in Atlanta, Georgia, aged 47. Known for his distinctive ‘chicken scratch’ lead guitar playing, he worked with James Brown from 1965 until his death.

1988 - Mike Peters
Mike Peters of The Alarm was rushed to hospital after having his eyes burnt by spotlights during a gig in Chester, causing the remaining dates on their UK tour to be cancelled.

1999 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls unveiled their waxwork look-alikes at Madame Tussaud's, London. Each model had cost £35,000 to make.

2000 - Justin Timberlake
*NSYNC fan Danielle McGuire filed suit against group member Justin Timberlake, alleging that he harassed and verbally assaulted her. McGuire, 15, filed suit in St. Louis, Missouri, charging Timberlake with false imprisonment of a minor.

2000 - Kirsty MacColl
UK singer, songwriter Kirsty MacColl was killed in a boating accident off the coast of Mexico when a speedboat hit her. MacColl was aged 41. McColl and her sons were diving at the Chankonabe reef, of Cozumel, Mexico in a designated diving area that watercraft were restricted from entering. MacColl saw the boat coming before her sons did; Louis (then 13) was not in the boat's path, but Jamie (then 15) was. She was able to push him out of the way (he sustained minor head and rib injuries) but in doing so, she was hit by the boat and killed instantly.

2001 - Clifford T. Ward
English singer songwriter Clifford T. Ward died aged 57 after suffering from multiple sclerosis since 1984. His first album, Singer Songwriter, was released in 1972 on Dandelion Records (a label formed by the late disc jockey John Peel). He had the 1973 UK No.8 single 'Gaye'. Working as an English teacher in the late 60’s, one of his pupils was the future wife of Sting, Trudie Styler.

2003 - Michael Jackson
Out on bail, Michael Jackson was formally charged with seven counts of child molestation and two counts of administering intoxicating liquor to a minor with the intent of committing a crime. The abuse was claimed to have taken place between 7 February and 10 March 2003 and the alleged victim was identified only as 'John Doe'. Jackson's lawyer said the entertainer was 'unequivocally and absolutely innocent' and would fight the charges 'with every fiber of his soul.'

2003 - James Brown
James Brown and country music star Loretta Lynn were honoured for their contributions to US culture. The pair were invited to a gala attended by President George Bush at the Kennedy Arts Centre in Washington.

2004 - Kurt Cobain
A guitar played by George Harrison and John Lennon sold for £294,000 ($570,000) at auction in New York. The Gibson SG guitar was used by Harrison from 1966 to 1969, including the recording of Revolver , and by Lennon during The White Album sessions. Other items sold in the Christie's auction included a letter by Kurt Cobain which fetched £10,000 ($19,400), and a school book report by Britney Spears (£1,000).

2005 - Kirsty MacColl
‘Fairytale of New York’ was voted the favourite Christmas song ever in a VH1 poll. The song by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl took the top spot, Mariah Carey's ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’, was voted into 2nd place and Wham's ‘Last Christmas’ came third. Other songs voted into the Top 10 were, ‘Mistletoe and Wine’, Sir Cliff Richard at No.4, ‘Merry Xmas Everybody’ by Slade at No.5, ‘I Wish it could be Christmas Everyday’, Wizzard, No.6, ‘Christmas Time’, The Darkness, No.7, ‘Savior's Day’, Sir Cliff Richard No.8, Do They Know It's Christmas? (1984), Band Aid at No.9 and ‘Lonely This Christmas’ by Mud at No.10.

2005 - Pete Doherty
Babyshambles singer Pete Doherty was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of drink or drugs after being stopped by police in east London. Police said the 26-year-old had been driving erratically. Officers sent suspicious substances found in the vehicle for analysis, Doherty was released on bail.

2013 - Ian Watkins
Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins was sentenced to 35 years in jail for a string of child sex offences. Watkins, 36, from Pontypridd, Wales, had pleaded guilty at Cardiff Crown Court last month to 13 child sex offences.

2013 - N-Dubz
Fazer, best known for being part of the group N-Dubz, was declared bankrupt. The 26-year-old rose to fame alongside N-Dubz bandmates Costadinos Contostavlos (Dappy) and Tulisa Contostavlos. N-Dubz had eight songs in the Official Singles Chart. Their most successful track was the appropriately titled Number 1, which hit the top spot in 2009.

2015 - Stone Temple Pilots
A US medical examiner said Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland died from a toxic mix of drugs including cocaine, alcohol and ecstasy. Weiland, who was 48, rose to fame with the Stone Temple Pilots was found dead on his tour bus outside a hotel in Bloomington, Minneapolis, on 3 December of this year.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Post 2of 2:

1938 - Chas Chandler
Chas Chandler, bassist with The Alan Price Trio in 1962 and with The Animals who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'. Chandler later became the manager of Jimi Hendrix and Slade, he died on 17th July 1996.

1941 - Sam Andrew
Sam Andrew, Janis Joplin Band, (1971 US No.1 single 'Me And Bobby McGee', 1971 US No.1 single 'Pearl'). Andrew was also Music Director of the musical Love, Janis, based on the life of Janis Joplin. He died on February 12, 2015, following complications from open-heart surgery due to a heart attack suffered ten weeks prior.

1943 - Bobby Keys
Bobby Keys American saxophone player who worked with The Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Harry Nilsson, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker and others. Keys died on Dec 2nd 2014.

1943 - Keith Richards
Keith Richards, 'The Human Riff', guitarist, singer, songwriter and founding member of The Rolling Stones who have had over 35 Top 40 singles and albums. Rolling Stone magazine said Richards had created 'rock's greatest single body of riffs'. Classic albums include: Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street.

1948 - Bill Nelson
Bill Nelson, English singer, guitarist, songwriter, producer. With Be Bop Deluxe, he scored the 1976 UK No.23 single, 'Ships In The Night' and has since released many solo albums. In 2015, he was recognized with the Visionary award at the Progressive Music Awards.

1950 - Martha Johnson
Martha Johnson, Martha And The Muffins, (1980 UK No.10 single, 'Echo Beach').

1953 - Elliot Easton
Elliot Easton, lead guitarist and backing vocals for The Cars, who had the 1978 UK No.3 single 'My Best Friend's Girl.' Their 1984 US No.3 & 1985 UK No.4 'Drive' was used as part of the soundtrack for the Live Aid concert.

1955 - Walfredo Reyes Jr
Cuban American expert in drum set and auxiliary percussion Walfredo Reyes Jr. He is well known for having been a long-term member of Santana, and a member of Chicago as the percussionist from 2012—2018 and has also worked with Jackson Browne, Robbie Robertson, Lindsey Buckingham and Boz Scaggs.

1958 - Geordie
Geordie Walker from the British post-punk group Killing Joke who had the 1985 UK No.16 single 'Love Like Blood'.

1959 - Grant Marshall
Grant Marshall, Daddy-G, Massive Attack, (1991 UK No.13 single 'Unfinished Sympathy').

1964 - Robson Green
Robson Green, actor/singer, (1995 UK No.1 single as Robson and Jerome 'Unchained Melody', 'The White Cliffs Of Dover').

1966 - Steve Dullaghan
Steve Dullaghan, Primitives, (1988 UK No.5 single 'Crash').

1968 - Andy Miller
Andy Miller, from English power pop rock trio Dodgy who had the 1996 UK No.4 single 'Good Enough'.

1970 - Earl Simmons
DMX, (Earl Simmons), US rapper, (UK No. 30 single 'Slippin').

1975 - Sia
Australian singer, songwriter, Sia Furler. She worked with British duo Zero 7 and as a solo artist scored the 2014 US No.1 album 1000 Forms of Fear and the 2016 worldwide No.1 hit 'Cheap Thrills'.

1980 - Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera, US singer, (1999 US & UK No.1 single 'Genie In A Bottle', 1999 US No.1 album 'Christina Aguilera', 2001 US & UK No.1 single with Mya, Lil' Kim and Pink, 'Lady Marmalade').

1980 - Lyndsay Armaou
Lyndsay Armaou, singer, B*Witched, (1998 UK No.1 single 'C'est La Vie').

2001 - Billie Eilish
American singer-songwriter Billie Eilish. With her 2019 debut studio album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? she became the youngest ever solo female act to top the UK album chart at 17 years of age.

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

This day in music history for this Saturday.

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley had his draft notice served on him for the US Army. He went on to join the 32nd Tank Battalion third Armor Corps based in Germany.

1958 - Conway Twitty
Conway Twitty was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'It's Only Make Believe'. The song became the first to reach the UK Top 10 in four different years by different artists: Billy Fury (1964), Glen Campbell (1970) and Child (1978).

1964 - The Beatles
The Beatles fourth album 'Beatles For Sale' started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK album charts. Recorded when Beatlemania was just past its peak 'Beatles for Sale' was The Beatles' fourth album in just 21 months.

1964 - The Supremes
The Supremes scored their third US No.1 single of the year when 'Come See About Me', went to the top of the charts. It made No.27 on the UK chart.

1967 - Buffalo Springfield
Buffalo Springfield appeared at the Community Concourse, San Diego, California. The group became a springboard for the careers of Neil Young Stephen Stills, Richie Furay and Jim Messina.

1968 - Led Zeppelin
During a UK tour Led Zeppelin appeared at The Civic Hall, Exeter, England, supported by The Empty Vessels, featuring Martin Turner and Steve Upton who later formed Wishbone Ash. Zeppelin were paid £125 for the gig.

1969 - The Beatles
The Beatles latest Christmas record, 'The Beatles' Seventh Christmas Record' was released to members of their fan club in the UK and the US.

1969 - Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger was fined £200 plus 50 guineas costs at Marlborough Magistrates Court for illegal possession of cannabis.

1970 - Elton John
Elton John's first US hit, ‘Your Song’ entered the Billboard Hot 100, where it went on to reach number eight. The Hollies had been offered the song and Three Dog Night had already recorded a version which was included on their ‘It Ain't Easy’ album.

1979 - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley's personal physician, George Nichopoulos, was charged with 'illegally and indiscriminately' prescribing over 12,000 tablets of uppers, downers, and painkillers for the star during the 20 months preceding his untimely death. Although he was acquitted this time, he was charged again in 1980 and again in 1992 and was stripped of his medical license in July 1995.

1981 - ABBA
ABBA scored their seventh UK No.1 album with The Visitors, the Swedish pop group's eighth and final studio album. It was one of the first records to be recorded and mixed digitally, and was the first in history to be manufactured on the new CD format in 1982 on Atlantic.

1987 - Pet Shop Boys
The Pet Shop Boys had their third UK No.1 single with their version of 'Always On My Mind. The duo had performed a version of 'Always on My Mind' on Love Me Tender, an TV special commemorating the tenth anniversary of Elvis Presley's death, their performance was so well-received that the group decided to record the song and release it as a single.

1991 - Joe Cole
Joe Cole, an American roadie for Black Flag and Rollins Band, was shot and killed in an armed robbery. Cole and Henry Rollins had attended a Hole concert at the Whisky a Go Go and were returning home after having stopped at an all-night grocery store when two armed men – described as black in their 20s – approached them demanding money. Angry that Rollins and Cole had only $50 between them, the gunmen ordered the two men to go inside their house for more cash. Rollins entered at gunpoint. However, Cole was killed outside after being shot in the face at close range while Rollins escaped out the back door and alerted the police. The murder remains unsolved. Cole is remembered in the Sonic Youth songs ‘JC’ and ‘100%’ on their album Dirty.

1993 - Michael Clarke
Michael Clarke drummer with The Byrds died of liver failure aged 47. Also worked with the Flying Burrito Brothers and Jerry Jeff Walker. Before his death Clarke had expressed a wish of alerting children to the dangers of alcoholism. Following his wishes, Clarke's girlfriend Susan Paul started a foundation in Clarke's name, called the Campaign for Alcohol-free Kids.

1994 - Richie James
The Manic Street Preachers played the first of three nights at The Astoria, London, the last shows Richey Edwards made with the band before disappearing. Edwards vanished on February 1st 1995 leaving no clues to his whereabouts and has never been seen since.

1999 - Terry Jacks
Irish boyband Westlife started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their versions of the ABBA song 'I Have A Dream' and the Terry Jacks hit (written in French by Belgian, Jacques Brel and English lyrics by poet Rod McKuen), 'Seasons In The Sun'. It gave the group the Christmas No.1 and the last No.1 of the century.

2000 - Robert Buck
10,000 Maniacs guitarist Robert Buck died of liver failure aged 42. Best know for ‘Hey Jack Kerouac’, ‘What's The Matter Here’ and 'Candy Everybody Wants'.

2000 - Roebuck Staples
Songwriter, guitarist and singer and founder member of The Staple Singers, Roebuck 'pop' Staples died. Best known for their 1970s hits ‘I'll Take You There’, ‘Respect Yourself’, and ‘Let's Do It Again’.

2005 - Elton John
Sir Elton John turned down £5.7m for the exclusive rights to his civil union to his partner David Furnish. The couple had considered the offer from a US television channel, putting the money in the Elton John Aids Foundation, but they told Attitude magazine they had decided to keep the day private.

2006 - Pink Floyd
Two giant eyeballs donated by Pink Floyd raised £16,500 for the homeless charity Crisis. The 6ft-high props, made to promote the Pulse DVD, were on the auction site eBay for a week and attracted 46 bids. Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, a vice-president of Crisis, said extra help was needed in the winter months.

2012 - Madonna
Madonna's MDNA World Tour made more money than any other during 2012. The tour grossed $228m (£141m), after more than 1.6 million fans paid to see her perform in 65 cities worldwide since last June. She beat Bruce Springsteen into first place on the highest-grossing tour list, who earned $198 million (£123 million). Also in the top 25 were Coldplay, who took fifth place, and Lady Gaga at number six, who attracted audiences reaching 1.1 million people in comparison. Jay-Z and Kanye West came in at number nine, while Justin Bieber's tour was the 20th highest-earning at $30.6 million (£18.9m).

2012 - Pink Floyd
Nick Mason stepped in to help save Foote's, the historic London music shop where he bought his first ever drum kit. The Pink Floyd drummer, along with the store's sales director, Rob Wilson, were buying the business (which will now re-open in a new location at 41 Store Street, Bloomsbury, London) from the family who has owned it since the '30s.

2015 - Michael Jackson
Thirty-three years after it was released, Michael Jackson's classic album Thriller became the first to sell more than 30 million copies in the US. The Recording Industry Association of America reported latest sales figures showing the Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-75 had now sold 29m and Billy Joel Greatest Hits Volume I & Volume II, 23m copies.

2016 - The Official Chart Company
The Official Chart Company announced it was changing the way it calculated the Top 40 to reflect the rise in streaming. Currently, 100 streams counted as one "sale" of a song. From January 2017, the ratio will become 150:1. It was hoped that the change would break the bottleneck at the top of the charts, as hits on streaming services linger for weeks on end.

End of post 1 of 2.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1915 -Édith Piaf
Édith Piaf, French cabaret singer, songwriter and actress and one of France's greatest international stars. Her well known songs include, 'La Vie en rose' (1946), 'Non, Je ne regrette rien' (1960), and 'Hymne à l'amour' (1949). After years of alcohol abuse Piaf died on 10 October 1963.

1918 - Professor Longhair
Professor Longhair, New Orleans blues singer and pianist who influenced Fat's Domino, Allen Toussaint and Dr John. Longhair died of a heart attack on 30th Jan 1980.

1940 - Phil Ochs
Phil Ochs, US folk singer songwriter. Wrote 'There But A Fortune', hit for Joan Baez. Hung himself on 9th April 1976 suffering from chronic depression.

1941 - Maurice White
Maurice White, American singer-songwriter, musician, record producer, arranger and bandleader with Earth, Wind & Fire, who had the 1975 US No.1 single 'Shining Star', and the 1981 UK No.3 single 'Let's Groove'. The band has received 20 Grammy nominations and were the first African-American act to sell out Madison Square Garden. White died on February 4, 2016.

1944 - Alvin Lee
Alvin Lee, guitar vocals, Ten Years After, (1970 UK No.10 single 'Love Like A Man'). Lee died on 6 March 2013. According to his website, he died from "unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure", he was 68.

1944 - Zal Yanovsky
Zal Yanovsky, The Lovin Spoonful, (1966 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Summer In The City'). Died of a heart attack on 13th December 2002.

1947 - Jimmy Bain
Scottish musician Jimmy Bain best known for playing bass guitar in the bands Rainbow and Dio. He also worked with Thin Lizzy frontman Phil Lynott, co-writing on his solo albums. On January 23, 2016 died while in his cabin on Def Leppard's "Hysteria on the High Seas" cruise. The cause of death was determined to be lung cancer.

1949 - John McEuen
John McEuen, from American country rock band, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band who scored the 1971 US No.9 single 'Mr Bojangles'.

1952 - Walter Murphy
Walter Murphy, American composer, arranger, pianist, musician, songwriter who is best known for the instrumental ‘A Fifth of Beethoven’, a disco adaptation of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony which topped the charts in 1976 and was featured on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Murphy has written music for numerous films and TV shows, including The Tonight Show, Looney Tunes, Family Guy, American Dad!, Ted, and Ted 2.

1958 - Chris Hamill
Chris Hamill, (Limahl), vocals, Kajagoogoo, (1983 UK No.1 single 'Too Shy').

MOHLovesAlaska

I'm sorry about missing yesterday's post. But here is what happened on this day in music history for this Monday. 

Post 1 of 2:

1967 - The Beatles
The Beatles held a party at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London to preview their new movie ‘Magical Mystery Tour’.

1967 - Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd appeared at the Speakeasy Club, London, England. Situated at 48 Margaret Street in the Centre of London, the Speakeasy was a late-night haunt for the music industry from 1966 right up to to the late 1970s. It was managed by Laurie O'Leary (a lifelong friend of the Kray twins) from 1968 to 1977 and Roy Flynn, who was also the first manager of Yes.

1968 - Glen Campbell
Glen Campbell topped the US album chart with 'Wichita Lineman'. Although the LP would stay on the chart for 46 weeks, it would be Campbell's only No.1 album. The title track which was written by American songwriter Jimmy Webb reached No 3 on the US singles chart.

1969 - Diana Ross
The Supremes made their last TV appearance together with Diana Ross on 'The Ed Sullivan show', singing their last No.1 'Someday We'll Be Together'.

1970 - Elvis Presley
A stretch limousine carrying Elvis Presley pulled up outside the White House in Washington, D.C. The driver handed over a letter from Elvis addressed to President Nixon requesting a meeting to discuss how the King of Rock and Roll could help Nixon fight drugs. The President agreed to give Presley a Narcotics Bureau badge - but only after learning that the chief of the narcotics bureau had turned down the same request earlier that day and told Presley the only person who could overrule his decision was the President. At Elvis' request, the meeting remained secret for more than a year, until the Washington Post broke the story on January 27th, 1972.

1974 - Mud
Mud were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Chinn & Chapman song 'Lonely This Christmas'. The group's second No.1 and third chart topper for Chinn & Chapman in 1974.

1985 - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen's album, Born in the USA passed Michael Jackson's Thriller to become the second longest-lasting LP on the Billboard US Top 10. It stayed there for 79 weeks. Only The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews lasted longer at 109 weeks.

1988 - Paul Jeffreys
Former Cockney Rebel bass player Paul Jeffreys was one of the passengers killed by a terrorist bomb on Pan Am flight 103. The plane crashed over Lockerbie, Scotland.

1991 - Freddie Mercury
'Bohemian Rhapsody - 'These Are The Days Of Our Lives' by Queen started a five week run at No.1 in the UK, the 1975 word-wide hit had been re-released following the death of Freddie Mercury.

1992 - Albert King
American blues singer and guitarist, Albert King died from a heart attack in Memphis, Tennessee. He recorded dozens of influential songs, such as 'Crosscut Saw' and 'As The Years Go Passing By', and the 1967 album, 'Born Under a Bad Sign.'

1996 - Knockin' on Heaven's Door
The charity record 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' went to No.1 on the UK singles chart. With the consent of Bob Dylan musician Ted Christopher of Dunblane, Scotland wrote a new verse for the song in memory of the schoolchildren and teacher killed in the Dunblane massacre. The cover version of the song included brothers and sisters of the victims singing the chorus and Mark Knopfler on guitar.

1998 - Karl Denver
Scottish singer Karl Denver died from a brain tumor aged 67. Had the 1962 UK No.4 single 'Wimoweh' and 1990 UK hit 'Lazyitis- One Armed Boxer' with Happy Mondays.

2003 - Eminem
Eminem's ex-wife Kimberley Mathers pleaded guilty to a drug and driving offences. Mathers had been pulled by traffic police in June and was charged with possession of cocaine, two other charges driving with a suspended license and maintaining a drug house in which police discovered marijuana and Ecstasy were dropped. The 28 year-old mother appeared in a Michigan court after turning herself in, having previously failed to attend a November 1 hearing and removed an electronic tagging device used to monitor her movements.

2003 - Gary Jules
Michael Andrews feat Gary Jules went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Tears For Fears song 'Mad World.' The song took just 90 minutes to record in 2001 and was featured in the film Donnie Darko.

2003 - The Riffathon
Tommy Hubbard from Whitby, aged 14, won the 2003 Riffathon, a nationwide guitar competition in aid of Action For Brazil's Children Trust. The final was held at the University of Surrey and was judged by Jimmy Page and Brian May. The ten Riffathon finalists each performed a Led Zeppelin classic track with a full live band. Tommy's performance of 'Ramble On' won him the star prize of a 1958 re-issue Gibson Les Paul standard guitar, donated by Gibson Guitars.

2005 - Elton John
Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish became the first gay celebrities to register their relationship as a civil partnership. The 20 minute ceremony took place at The Guild Hall, Windsor, England, guest’s included Ringo Starr, Victoria Beckham, Joss Stone, Sting, Elvis Costello, Jamie Cullum, George Michael and The Osbourne's - Ozzy, Sharon, Jack and Kelly.

2008 - Alexandra Burke
The 2008 X-Factor winner Alexandra Burke started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hallelujah'. The song was written by Leonard Cohen, and his version charted at the same time, and Jeff Buckley's cover reached No 2, just being held off by Alexandra. Three versions of the same song were in the chart at once, something not seen since the 1950s.

2010 - Kings of Leon
A concert by Kings of Leon was postponed after a fire broke out on two of their tour buses which were parked at The O2 arena in London. The blaze began on one coach before spreading to another tour bus in the loading bay of the venue in Greenwich. About 60 firefighters were at the scene and ambulance crews treated six people for smoke inhalation. An O2 spokesman said the fire meant there was not enough time to rig the arena for the sell-out concert.

2012 - Ronnie Wood
Rolling Stones guitarist, 65-year-old Ronnie Wood married his fiancée Sally Humphreys during a private ceremony in London. Keith Richards, Rod Stewart and Paul McCartney all attended the wedding.

2012 - Psy
'Gangnam Style' by South Korean musician Psy became the first YouTube video to reach a billion views. By the end of 2012, the song had topped the music charts of more than 30 countries.

2012 - Paul Simon
Paul Simon performed his classic track 'The Sound of Silence' at the funeral of a teacher who died in the school shooting in Connecticut on 14 December of this year. The 1966 song was understood to be a favourite of 27-year-old Victoria Soto, a first-grade teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The singer, a family friend, performed the song in front of some 400 mourners, at Soto's local church on Wednesday. Twenty six people were killed in the mass shooting the previous week.

2014 - Elton John
Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish formally converted their civil partnership to a marriage hosting a ceremony at their Windsor estate in Berkshire. David and Victoria Beckham, Ed Sheeran, Lulu and actor David Walliams were among the guests.

2016 - Richard Marx
American singer Richard Marx told of how he had to restrain a fellow passenger on a Korean Air flight after the man, who was drunk allegedly attacked others onboard. The incident happened as Marx and his wife were travelling from Hanoi to Seoul. The man was arrested upon landing and South Korean.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1926 - Freddie Hart
Freddie Hart, country musician and songwriter best-known for his No.1 hit 'Easy Loving,' which won the Country Music Association Song of the Year award in 1971 and 1972.

1940 - Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa multi instrumentalist, producer and composer. Recorded with The Mothers Of Invention and solo, 1969 album 'Hot Rats', 1974 album 'Apostrophe', featuring 'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow'. First band was The Blackouts, recorded one of the first concept albums 'Freak Out'. Zappa died of prostate cancer on 4th December 1993.

1940 - Ray Hilderbrand
Ray Hilderbrand, from American pop singing duo Paul and Paula, who had the 1963 US No.1 & UK No.8 single, 'Hey Paula'.

1943 - Albert Lee
Albert Lee, UK country guitarist. Worked with Emmylou Harris Hot Band, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Joe Cocker. One time member of Heads Hands And Feet.

1946 - Carl Wilson
Carl Wilson, American musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer who co-founded the Beach Boys. He performed lead vocals on several of their hits, including 'God Only Knows' (1966) and 'Good Vibrations' (1966). Wilson died on 6th February 1998 after a long battle with lung cancer.

1947 - Paco de Lucía
Paco de Lucía, Spanish virtuoso flamenco guitarist, composer and producer. His collaborations with guitarists John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Larry Coryell in the late 1970s saw him gain wider popularity outside his native Spain and collaborated with jazz pianist Chick Corea on their 1990 album, Zyryab. Lucía died on 25th Feb 2014.

1951 - Nick Gilder
Nick Gilder, singer, Sweeney Todd, solo, (1978 US No.1 single 'Hot Child In The City').

1953 - Betty Wright
Betty Wright, US singer, (1971 US No. 6 single 'Clean Up Woman', 1975 UK No. 27 single 'Shoorah! Shoorah!).

1964 - Emmett Murphy
Emmett Murphy, Dinosaur Jr, (1993 UK No.20 single 'Start Choppin').

1964 - Patrick Murphy
Patrick Murphy, from American alternative rock band The Lemonheads. A cover of Simon And Garfunkel's 'Mrs. Robinson', became one of the band's most successful single in the early 90s.

1966 - Gabrielle Glaser
Gabrielle Glaser, US singer, Luscious Jackson, (1997 UK No.25 single 'Naked Eye').

1974 - Erika Ender
Erika María Ender Simoes, more commonly known by her stage name Erika Ender, a Panamanian singer, songwriter and actress. Along with Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, she is the co-author of the 2017 worldwide hit ‘Despacito’.

MOHLovesAlaska

This day in the history of music for this Tuesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1957 - Buddy Holly
The Crickets released the single 'Oh, Boy!' backed with 'Not Fade Away' in the UK which became their third Top 10 hit. 'Oh, Boy!' was originally recorded by Sonny West in the late 1950s but did not achieve commercial success. In 1964, the The Rolling Stones cover of 'Not Fade Away, with a strong Bo Diddley beat, was a major hit in Britain and was the A-side of the band's first US single.

1962 - Acker Bilk
Acker Bilk's 'Stranger On The Shore' finally dropped off the UK charts after 55 weeks. That record would stand until 1968 when Engelbert Humperdinck's 'Release Me' stayed for 56. The current record is held by Frank Sinatra's 'My Way', which charted for 75 non-consecutive weeks.

1962 - Joe Meek
The Tornadoes started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Telstar'. Produced and written by Joe Meek it was the first major hit from a UK act on the American chart. The record was named after the AT&T communications satellite Telstar, which went into orbit in July 1962.

1962 - Bob Dylan
During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan performed at the Singers Club in London, the singer songwriter's second UK gig.

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles appeared at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool. This appearance was the second concert-only preview of their ‘The Beatles' Christmas Show’, which would open in London in two days.

1967 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, The Who, Keith West and Tomorrow, Eric Burdon & The Animals, 1984 (featuring future Queen guitarist Brian May) and Soft Machine all appeared at The Olympia, London at an all night festival 'Christmas On Earth Continued'. The DJ was John Peel plus the venue featured a paddling pool, light shows and a movie theatre, tickets £1.

1972 - Jimmy Osmond
Little Jimmy Osmond was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool.' At nine years eight months of age it made him the youngest person to have a No.1 record, also the biggest seller of 1972.

1973 - Elton John
Elton John started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', it also had a eight week run at No.1 on the US chart. The album contains the Marilyn Monroe tribute, 'Candle in the Wind', as well as three successful singles: 'Bennie and the Jets', 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', and 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting'.

1979 - Rupert Holmes
Rupert Holmes started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Escape, (The Pina Colada Song). His only US No.1 solo hit, a No.23 hit in the UK.

1980 - Stiff Records
Stiff Records released an album in the UK called ‘The Wit and Wisdom of Ronald Reagan.’ The entire disc contained 40 minutes of silence.

1981 - John Lennon
At a rock & roll memorabilia auction in London, a stage suit worn by John Lennon sold for £2,300, a letter from Paul McCartney to a fan sold for £2,200 and a Perspex sculpture of John & Yoko was bought by singer Kate Bush for £4,200.

1984 - Madonna
Madonna started a six-week run at No.1 in the US charts with 'Like A Virgin', her first US No.1. Produced by Nile Rodgers, family groups sought to ban the song as they believed that the song promoted sex without marriage.

1987 - Nikki Sixx
Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue was pronounced 'dead on arrival' in an ambulance when his heart stopped beating for two minutes. Sixx was given two shots of adrenaline in his chest to revive him. Fellow band members were prematurely informed of his death.

1991 - James Brown
James Brown launched an unsuccessful lawsuit against the producers of the movie The Commitments, claiming one of the characters too closely resembled him.

2000 - Madonna
Madonna married film director Guy Ritchie at Skibo Castle, Scotland. Celebrities attending the wedding included Jon Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Sting and fashion designers Donatella Versace, Jean Paul Gaultier and Stella McCartney. The couple divorced in Nov 2008.

2002 - Joe Strummer
Former Clash singer and guitarist Joe Strummer (John Graham Mellor) died of a suspected heart attack aged 50. Scored the 1979 UK No. 11 single 'London Calling', 1982 US No. 8 single 'Rock The Casbah, 1991 UK No.1 single 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go', first released 1982, plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles. The Clash's London Calling album was voted best album of the 1980s by Rolling Stone magazine. Strummer was also a member of the The Mescalero's.

2003 - Elvis Presley
The annual list of all-time music greats by the Guinness book of hit singles was again topped by Elvis Presley. The list based on the number of weeks spent on the UK singles chart looked like this; 1. Elvis Presley (1193), 2. Cliff Richard (1152), 3. The Shadows (771), 4. Elton John (623), 5. Madonna (606), 6. Diana Ross (560), 7. Michael Jackson (509), 8. Rod Stewart (477), 9. The Beatles (456) and 10. David Bowie (452).

2006 - Dennis Linde
American songwriter Dennis Linde died aged 63 from a rare lung disease. Linde wrote one of Elvis Presley's last major hits, 'Burning Love' and also wrote 'Goodbye Earl' for the Dixie Chicks, and 'Callin' Baton Rouge' for Garth Brooks.

2008 - John Lennon
A cassette tape of a "drunk" John Lennon recording a cover version of a rock 'n' roll song sold at auction in Los Angeles for $30,000 (£20,200). The six-minute recording, made in autumn 1973, is of Lennon performing Lloyd Price's Just Because. "Debauched lyrics" improvised by "a drunk Lennon" include "just a little cocaine will set me right", and, "I wanna take all them new singers, Carol and the other one with the nipples, I wanna take 'em and hold 'em tight."

2009 - Michael Jackson
The FBI released 333 pages of documents compiled about Michael Jackson between 1992 to 2005. The files revealed that they made several investigations into death threats against him made by obsessed fans, alleged inappropriate involvement between Jackson and an underage male, as well as fears that he may have become the target for terrorists.

2010 - Abbey Road Zebra Crossing
The Abbey Road zebra crossing in north London, made famous after appearing on a Beatles album cover was given Grade II listed status. The crossing, the first of its kind to be listed, was being recognized for its "cultural and historical importance" following advice from English Heritage. The Beatles were photographed on Abbey Road in Ian Macmillan's iconic cover shot for the 1969 album Abbey Road.

2012 - Marva Whitney
Marva Whitney, nicknamed by collaborator James Brown "Soul Sister Number 1", died from complications from pneumonia. Whitney began her music career as a child, joining her family gospel group, the Manning Gospel Singers. She toured with James Brown in the late Sixties.

2014 - Joe Cocker
Joe Cocker died of lung cancer in Crawford, Colorado aged 70. The Sheffield-born singer was known for his gritty voice, spasmodic body movement in performance and definitive versions of popular songs of varying genre. Cocker had a career lasting more than 40 years, with hits including his cover of The Beatles' 'With A Little Help From My Friends', 'You Are So Beautiful' and 'Up Where We Belong'. He was made an OBE in 2011. In the early Sixties Cocker was performing as Vance Arnold. The name was a combination of Vince Everett, Elvis Presley's character in Jailhouse Rock (which Cocker misheard as Vance); and country singer Eddy Arnold.

2016 - Beyoncé
Beyoncé's politically charged visual album Lemonade was the music critics' favourite album of the year. The record, which tackles themes of black empowerment and female identity, topped a "poll of polls" compiled by the BBC. It beat David Bowie's elegiac swansong Blackstar, which was released two days before his death in January.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1938 - Brian Locking
Brian Locking the bassist with The Wildcats in 1956 and The Shadows, between 1962 and 1963. During his time with the Shadows he appeared with Cliff Richard in the musical film Summer Holiday. Locking also toured as a session player with artist’s including Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran and Joe Brown, as well as Conway Twitty and Brenda Lee. He died on 8 October 2020.

1939 - James Gurley
James Gurley, guitarist with Big Brother and the Holding Company who with Janis Joplin had the 1971 US No.1 single 'Me And Bobby McGee', and the 1971 US No.1 album Pearl. Gurley died on December 20, 2009, from a heart attack two days before his 70th birthday.

1944 - Barry Jenkins
Barry Jenkins, drummer in The Animals who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'. He was also a member of The Nashville Teens who scored the 1964 UK No.6 single and US Top 20 hit 'Tobacco Road'.

1948 - Rick Nielsen
Rick Nielsen, singer, guitarist from American rock band, Cheap Trick, who had the 1979 hit single 'I Want You To Want Me', and the 1988 US No.1 single 'The Flame'.

1949 - Maurice Gibb
Robin and Maurice Gibb, The Bee Gees singers, songwriters, producers, Robin was the eldest by 1 hour. (1967 UK No.1 single 'Massachusetts', 1978 UK & US No.1 single 'Night Fever', over 30 UK Top 40 hits and 9 US No.1's over 4 decades). Maurice died on 12th January 2003 of a heart attack. Robin died of cancer aged 62 on 20 May 2012.

1950 - Alan Williams
Alan Williams, from English pop band The Rubettes who had the 1974 UK No.1 single 'Sugar Baby Love'.

1957 - Ricky Ross
Scottish musician Ricky Ross, lead singer, songwriter, guitar, piano, with Deacon Blue who had the 1988 UK No.8 single 'Real Gone Kid', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles. Ross married fellow Deacon Blue singer Lorraine McIntosh on 12 May 1990. He currently presents Another Country with Ricky Ross on BBC Radio Scotland.

1966 - Danny Saber
Danny Saber, Black Grape, (1995 UK No.8 single 'In The Name Of The Father').

1968 - Richard Edwards
Richard James Edwards, guitar, vocals with Welsh group Manic Street Preachers who had the 1992 UK No.17 single 'Theme From Mash'. Edwards disappeared on 1st February 1995, after leaving his car at a service station by The Severn Bridge, near Bristol, England.

1972 - Vanessa Paradie
Vanessa Paradie, French singer, actress, (1988 UK No.3 single with 'Joe Le Taxi').

1984 - Jonas Erik Altberg
Jonas Erik Altberg, (Basshunter), Swedish musician and DJ. (2008 UK No.1 ‘Now You’re Gone’).

1989 - Jordin Brianna Sparks
Jordin Brianna Sparks, American pop/R&B singer, songwriter. Winner of the sixth season of American Idol, at the age of 17, making her the youngest winner of American Idol. 2008 Australian No.1 single with Chris Brown 'No Air.'

1993 - Meghan Trainor
Meghan Trainor, American singer-songwriter who scored the 2014 world wide hit hit 'All About That Bass'. The song topped the national charts of 58 countries.

MOHLovesAlaska

This day in music history for this Wednesday.

Post 1 of 2:

1959 - Chuck Berry
Chuck Berry was arrested after taking 14 year old Janice Norine (who unbeknown to Berry was working as a prostitute), across a state line. He was sentenced to 5 years jail but after racist comments by the judge Berry was freed.

1962 - Bob Dylan
During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan performed at the King and Queen pub in London’s West End, the singer songwriter’s third UK gig.

1964 - Brian Wilson
During a US tour Beach Boy Brian Wilson had a nervous breakdown during a flight from Los Angeles to Houston. Wilson left the band to concentrate on writing and producing. Glen Campbell replaced Wilson for the bands live shows before Bruce Johnston replaced him.

1966 - Ready, Steady Go!
ITV (Rediffusion) broadcast Ready, Steady Go! for the last time, after the Musicians Union enforced a ban on miming. The special guests for the farewell show were Mick Jagger, The Who, Eric Burdon, The Spencer Davis Group, Donovan and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.

1972 - Grand Funk Railroad
Former Grand Funk Railroad manager Terry Knight arrived during a concert by the band with a court order to seize $1m in money or assets. Police inform the ex manager that he couldn't take anything until after the show.

1985 - Judas Priest
Judas Priest fans Raymond Belknap and James Vance shot themselves after listening to the Judas Priest album ‘Stained Class.’ The two had drunk beer, smoked marijuana and then listened to hours of the album. Afterwards they took a shotgun to a nearby school playground where Belknap shot and killed himself. Vance then blew away his jaw, mouth and nose but lived for more than three years before dying of effects of the shooting.

1989 - Phil Collins
Phil Collins started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Another Day In Paradise', his 7th US solo No.1. Taken from his No.1 album ...But Seriously 'Another Day in Paradise' was written to bring attention to the problem of homelessness.

1996 - Nikki Sixx
Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx married TV's 'Baywatch' star and former Playboy Playmate of the Month, Donna Deruico.

1999 - George Harrison
George Harrison's home in Maui in the Hawaiian Islands was broken into by Cristin Keleher, who cooked a frozen pizza, drank beer from the fridge, started some laundry and phoned her mother in New Jersey. Keleher was later arrested and charged with burglary and theft.

2000 - Mick Hucknall
Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall was given a police caution for possessing cocaine and cannabis. Police found the Class A and Class B drugs at his Surrey home after a woman falsely accused him of rape in November.

2002 - Paul McCartney
Sir Paul McCartney was granted his own coat of arms by the College of Arms, the English heraldic body formed in 1484. The crest featured a bird that appeared to be holding a guitar in its claw. The motto is "Ecce Cor Meum", Latin for 'Behold My Heart', which is the title of an oratorio he composed.

2005 - Geezer Butler
Geezer Butler, the bass player with Black Sabbath offered £5,000 for any information leading to the safe return of Toga, the three-month-old penguin that had been stolen from a zoo on the Isle of Wight a few days earlier.

2007 - The Police
The Police were named as the highest earning touring group for the past year, bringing in nearly £66.5m, ($132m). The band's 54 date North American tour had generated almost double the total of the second-placed act, Country star Kenny Chesney.

2008 - Michael Jackson
A spokesman for Michael Jackson denied reports the singer was suffering from a rare respiratory disease and was in need of a lung transplant. Dr Tohme Tohme said in a statement issued to Reuters that stories claiming the singer was unwell were not true. He added that author Ian Halperin had made the claims to promote his unauthorized biography of the 50-year-old singer.

2008 - Clint Ballard Jr
Clint Ballard Jr. died. He wrote ‘Game Of Love’ a hit for Wayne Fontana And The Mindbenders', and Linda Ronstadt's, ‘You're No Good’. His songs have been recorded by The Hollies, Frankie Avalon, Ricky Nelson, The Zombies and Jan And Dean.

2013 - George Harrison
The Mail On Sunday reported that documents they obtained from the Cabinet Office via the Freedom Of Information Act showed that George Harrison, who passed away in 2001, turned down the chance to be included in the New Year's Honours List in 2000. The OBE was recommended by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport who said that Harrison should be recognized for his contribution to the music industry. The citation read: "He was a member of a band that many people would say is the best thing that Britain has ever produced, and possibly the best in the world, The Beatles".

2018 - Honey Lantree
Honey Lantree drummer with English beat, pop group The Honeycombs died aged 75. The Honeycombs scored the Joe Meek produced 1964 UK No.1 single 'Have I The Right', which featured Lantree who was one of the few female drummers in bands at that time. The song’s beat was enhanced by having the members of the group stamp their feet on the wooden stairs to the studio to add to the drum sound.

2019 - Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey was being sued by a former nanny who was seeking compensation for “emotional distress” after working for the singer. Maria Burgues filed the lawsuit claiming that she was fired after complaining about her working conditions. Burgues alleged that she was paid $25 (£19) an hour to look after Carey’s children and had to travel with them when the singer went on tour – but wasn’t paid for the extra work. She also claimed that the bodyguard of Carey’s children, Marcio Moto, used to make her feel threatened by shouting at her.

End of post 1 of 2.  
MOHLovesAlaska

Post 2 of 2:

1935 - Esther Phillips
Esther Phillips, US soul singer, (1975 US No. 20 & UK No.6 single 'What A Difference A Day Makes'). She died on 7th August 1984.

1939 - Johnny Kidd
Johnny Kidd, singer, Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, (1960 UK No.1 single 'Shakin' All Over'). Killed in a car crash while on tour in Manchester, England on 7th October 1966.

1940 - Eugene Record
Eugene Record, vocals, The Chi-lites, (1972 US No.1 single 'Oh Girl', 1972 UK No.3 single 'Have You Seen Her'). He died of cancer on 22nd July 2005.

1940 - Jorma Kaukonen
Jorma Kaukonen, American blues, folk, and rock guitarist, best known for his work with Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.

1941 - Ron Bushy
Ron Bushy, Iron Butterfly (1968 US No.14 single 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida').

1941 - Tim Hardin
Tim Hardin, US singer, songwriter, (1967 UK No.50 single 'Hang On To A Dream'). Wrote 'Reason To Believe' and 'If I Were A Carpenter.' Died of a heroin overdose on 29th December 1980.

1943 - Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls, bass, Spinal Tap, (1984 rock film 'This Is Spinal Tap').

1946 - Duster Bennett
Duster Bennett, singer, guitarist, harmonica player. Worked with Alexis Korner, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac and B.B. King. He was killed in a car crash on 26th March 1976 when he apparently fell asleep at the wheel.

1946 - Ray Tabano
Ray Tabano who was a founding member of Aerosmith. Tabano was a childhood friend of Aerosmith lead singer Steven Tyler and was in Steven's first band, The Strangeurs. Tabano was replaced by Brad Whitford in Aerosmith in 1971.

1949 - Ariel Bender
Ariel Bender, guitarist with Mott The Hoople, who had the 1972 UK No.3 & US No.37 single 'All The Young Dudes' which was written for them by David Bowie. Other hits include, 'All the Way from Memphis' and 'Roll Away the Stone'.

1949 - Adrian Belew
Adrian Belew, American guitarist and singer, who worked with King Crimson and David Bowie.

1951 - Doug Stegmeyer
American musician, Doug Stegmeyer who worked with many artists including Billy Joel, Hall and Oates and The Carpenters. On August 25, 1995, Stegmeyer died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his Long Island home.

1958 - Dave Murray
Dave Murray, guitarist with English heavy metal band Iron Maiden, who had the 1982 UK No.1 album The Number Of The Beast, and the 1991 UK No.1 single 'Bring Your Daughter ...To The Slaughter'. Iron Maiden have sold over 100 million copies of their albums worldwide.

1960 - Wil Sinnott
Wil Sinnott, The Shamen, (1991 UK No.4 single 'Move Any Mountain'). Drowned on May 22nd 1991 while swimming off the coast of La Gomera when he was pulled under by strong currents. The Shamen were in Tenerife filming a video for their new single 'Move Any Mountain.'

1964 - Eddie Vedder
Eddie Vedder, singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist with Pearl Jam, (1992 UK No.15 single 'Jeremy', 1993 US No.1 & UK No.2 album 'Vs', 1994 US No.1 & UK No.4 album Vitalogy' and 1996 US No.1 & UK No.3 album 'No Code'). In 2007, Vedder released his first solo album as a soundtrack for the film Into the Wild.

1974 - Montsho Eshe
Montsho Eshe, from American alternative hip hop group who scored the 1992 UK No.2 and US No. 8 single 'People Everyday'. The group won two Grammy Awards in 1993 for Best New Artist and Best Rap Performance and were also named Band of the Year by Rolling Stone magazine.

1975 - Katie Underwood
Katie Underwood, Australian singer from Bardot, winners of the Australian Popstars reality show, who had the 2000 Australian No.1 single ‘Poison’, and 2000 Australian No.1 self-titled album.

1985 - Harry Judd
Harry Judd, drummer, McFly, (2004 UK No.1 single ‘Colours In Her Hair’, 2004 UK No.1 album ‘Room On The 3rd Floor’).

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for today's historical facts, @MOHLovesAlaska

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora happy to do it. And thank you for your interest in this post. Have a great Wednesday Alyssa, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska