cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do you like as the greatest guitarists ever?

Sleepyjoe
Local Performer
  • Just a poll to see who you think is the greatest guitarists ever. My choice is Stevie Ray Vaughn.
16 Replies

@Sleepyjoe great choice that's for sure, but for me here are my top five.

Jimmy Page. Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, Erick Clapton, and the late great Eddie Van Halen.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd would be 6th then I would choose Stevie Ray Vaughn. 

Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Listener001
Not applicable

Excellent choice, @MOHLovesAlaska , on Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He's from right here in Shreveport, Louisiana, and I have met--and volunteered with his mother.

My choice would be Mark Knopfler of the band Dire Straits, and one of the best intros of any song is "Money for Nothing" off their Brothers in Arms album.

@Listener001 great choice with Mark Knopfler, I would have him in my top 10. 

That is really cool about Kenny Wayne Shepherd. 

Take care friend, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

L-S-Devil
Local Performer
  • Excellent choices but for me it's got to be Jerry Garcia, if for nothing else, the sheer magnitude of styles he mastered over the years.

@L-S-Devil great choice as well, he is genuinely one of the best. 

Thanks for your reply to this post, we always look forward to new replies, input, and of course opinions. 

Take care @L-S-Devil and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

awaesaeh
Underground

Link Ray, was one of the best.

@awaesaeh Link Wray is also a great choice as well if I'm not mistaken he started out in country music before he went to rock. But anyway, thank you for replying with you're favorite, and as I stated, great choice. 

Take care @awaesaeh and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Mikeymast
Local Performer

Thurston Moore & Lee Renaldo. The music they played on those two guitars have never been equalled.

@Mikeymast great talents, I believe Thurston is in the top 50 of all-time guitarists, and I'm sure about Renaldo. But two great choices for sure. Hope to see you around the community more.

Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

sPuN4EvEr
Local Performer

For Metal, my list goes like this somewhat (this isnt my list):  

• Chuck Schuldiner....
  • Adrian Smith.
  • Dave Mustaine.
  • James Hetfield.
  • John Petrucci.
  • Zakk Wylde.
  • Jeff Hanneman.

i would certainly put Marty Friedman  he often outplays Dave on stage .Hes at least equal To Mr.Mustaine

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

I don't know many guitarists, so I can't say who's the greatest, but my favorite guitarist is definitely Prince! May his soul rest in peace or Prince!

I grew up listening to his music through my dad and I just loved his energy, his personality, and his swagger!

Great topic discussion! I'm eager to look up all the other guitarists on this thread and discover new music, thanks y'all!

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport

Mattevans
Local Performer

Chet Atkins

Michael Angelo Batio

Justin Johnson

Indictive
Opening Act

I'm going with Randy Rhodes. He was and still is my one and only favorite.

It amazes me how SO many people can be SO wrong every Single day. Larry Frederick

sfdsfsd2543345
Underground

Hands down, John Scofield. He's a jazz guitarist and can get more sounds and textures out of that instrument than any guitarist than I've ever heard. Melodic. Lyrical. Textured. Rough when it's called for; and Sweet when that's called for. Really talented guitarists will construct their chords so that they have a unique voice, i.e. none of this standard, "out of the box," common fingerings that you learned in beginning guitar class. And an ability to use chords in a solo and slide back and forth with single tone riffs. That's Scofield.

@sfdsfsd2543345 great choice...and truly is a great talent as well...Take care and GOD bless...

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

Sploot
Local Performer

I am a bit surprised no one has yet mentioned Django Reinhardt.