cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Windows Player Feedback

DrObbins
Underground

I have been Pandora user now for many years and really enjoy the service. However I really hate the new Windows app. I have given it a chance for a few weeks, but still hate it. The new app is a perfect example of something that used to work well, but is now is "new and improved" making it un-necessarly complicated. Looks like a young programmer found new features in the programming software and implemented them just to try them out.

First of all - what I liked with the old app: It was small and simple. Clicked on it and it just started playing.

What I hate about the new app:

1. It starts out large taking up the whole screen. Most of the space is unused.

2. It does not start playing right away. Have to press play.

3. It starts out on the "My Collection" screen showing many collections that I like, but don't necessarly want to listen to at that moment. The collections do not appear to be in any specific order and I have to hunt for the collection I want to hear. I would perfer that it just picks up as it was when I last used it.

4. The auto color scheme. I guess it picks colors from the slbum artwork, but I hate the colors it chooses. They are too bright and hurt my eyes, especially at night with the computer screen the only light in the room. I would perfer to choose just one color scheme and stay the same color all the time. perferably a dark color scheme.

5. If you going to show that "graphic equalizer" representing the music being played - make it use the music that is being played. The repetitive .gif(?) is annoying as it creates an un-necessary distraction of something moving.

6. In the "Now Playing" window, why is the title of the song playing scrolling? As mentioned in point #1 above, the screen is full of unused space. No need for scrolling. Again, it creates an un-necessary distraction of something moving. 

7. I do like the new options for My Station, Crowd Faves, Discovery, & Deep Cuts.

I am sure that there are many who like the new app, maybe make options in a settings screen to turn on and off these features listed in the bullets above.

Labels (2)
12 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DrObbins!

Thanks so much for your post, and for being apart of the community.

Your feedback and continued support over the years is much appreciated.

There is a feature request for a compact player that you can upvote (by clicking on the heart icon) here. It sounds like you'd be interested in this option too.

You can also check out these steps to adjust your settings for the desktop app to play automatically in this helpful article.

If you have any additional feature requests you'd like to recommend for our product team, feel free to create one here.

Hope this info is helpful. See ya around the community! 🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

DrObbins
Underground

Alyssa,

Sorry, but your responces remind me of outsourced help features where the person did not understand me and totally missed the point of what I was saying.

There was no heart to click on.

I don't want the "player" to start when I start windows. I want the music to start when I open the player.

Third answer does not solve anything, just makes me do more work and post more. Equals a totally usless reply. 

What country / state do you live in?

ErickPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DrObbins We greatly appreciate your feedback. 

To like an idea in our Feature Requests board, you need to search for it here. We are working on adding the ability to vote for ideas in the description page.

"I don't want the "player" to start when I start windows. I want the music to start when I open the player." As this is currently not an existing feature, I recommend creating an idea like @AlyssaPandora shared above and making sure to then voting for the idea. The more votes, the more likely we are to implement it in a future release.  This is how we relay the message to our product and engineering teams that the broader majority of listeners want a specific feature.

Unfortunately, my moderation team is not allowed to provide personal information but I can tell you what Google can, our HQ is located in Oakland, CA.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Erick | Sr. Manager of Social & Communities

Let's exchange playlists and podcasts in the Music + Podcasts

dirt
Local Performer

I agree, the new player is terrible.  How does this app use 50% of a single CPU? Decoding music is a solved problem.

The old Pandora One app was nice and simple. Decisions like this make users look for better solutions.

trango1981
Local Performer

Completly agree with Dirt and DrObbins... clean and simple sometime is better than tinkering...

kentlewan
Local Performer

I'm fine with the look and feel of the new player.  However, I am experiencing problems getting the player to start playing music!  This problem seems to have started just this week.  Previously, I could switch collections and streams at will, and the music would continue.  Now I'm experiencing significant delays.  Almost feels like server overload or something.  Maybe this is a temporary disruption?  I'm a Google Chrome user, FWIW.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kentlewan Sounds like you're having trouble listening.

If you are on a computer, are you listening from:

• A Mac or Windows computer?
  • Our website using your Google Chrome browser or the desktop app? 
  • Are there any error messages? If so, what exactly does it say?

Let me know.

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

toddbrown01
Local Performer

About to cancel my Premium subscription. I don’t like that the app opens to "For you", and no equalizer.. At least give people the option to choose where the app will open, don't just change it! I would expect Pandora to be on top of the game. DrObbins post was on point. 

0 Kudos

dedshort
Local Performer

Just a late and definitely blind response.

Usually your hardware and system OS should control both EQ and Spatial Effect's.

This is usually based upon the Sound IC in the hardware and how the manufacturer treats its driver.

I have downloaded the app from both Google and MS_Store with no issues.

I am able to control and save my settings matched to my listening without any alteration from any app.

Don't Give Up

Thanks

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for posting and for sharing your feedback, @dedshort!

Hope to see you around the community more often. 🎧

0 Kudos

DrObbins
Underground

Well the player no longer uses those awful colors.

THANKS!

@kentlewan I also had problems with google chrome. Since I got rid of google chrome and went back to using Microsoft edge browser, I have had no issues whatsoever. I have no skips, no delays, and no interruptions when going from desktop app to the Pandora net app. It plays right through without pause. I can also surf the net while listening to my Pandora , no skips no delays, no buffering issues. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos