cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop: No Longer an Option to Create a Station

deco2
Local Performer

I have had Pandora for years and have a paid subscription (although not the Premium version). I can no longer find an area to create a station from the artist of my choice. After I search for the artist the result only allows me to "share" or, if I click "play", to watch an ad, which, when clicked, gives me an "oops" error. However, my goal is to create a station rather than hear a song on demand.
Basically my question is what happened to the option to create my own station based on an artist choice? This is the reason I have Pandora in the first place.

Labels (6)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Callguy. 👋

You are correct - if you click on the the listing with "Artist" you're creating an artist's station and visiting their backstage page. 

You can also sort when searching.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.30.06 AM.png

Once you reach the artist's backstage page, you can create a station based on that specific artist:

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.35.37 AM.png

Hope this helps! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @deco2. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting this, and sorry for any trouble.

Based on your message, it sounds like you've initiated a complimentary session of Premium which triggers the advertisement to appear. We've updated your experience so that you have the ability to listen to content on-demand, without being a Premium subscriber.

• If you search for and select the name of an artist, or track, or album, you should be brought to a "backstage page" where you can either create a radio station or press play.
  • If you press play you indicate that you'd like to listen to that content right away (or "on-demand"). Since only Premium subscribers can listen on-demand, you will either see an ad for Premium, or be prompted to watch a video ad to unlock a complimentary session of Premium.
  • Keep in mind that upgrading to Premium or accepting a complimentary session of Premium is completely optional; you can close the ad and we'll create a station for you to listen to instead (if one is available).

You can find out more info about how these free sessions work here: Premium Access Sessions

++

If you're still having trouble, could you share a screenshot of exactly what you're seeing so that I can take a look?

• Does this happen with one specific artist, or any artist/song you attempt to use to create a station?
  • If you have a Windows machine please try using the Snipping Tool. You can find specifics about this tool and how to use it here.

Thanks so much for your help with this. Let me know. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

deco2
Local Performer
Hello Alyssa,

Thank you for getting back to me.

No, I have not initiated a session of Premium, I have no interest in
paying more (might as well go to Amazon Music Unlimited if so). What I am
trying to do is create a station. Not find a curated one that is already in
existence but create my own as I have in the past. There used to be a field
on my screen that was "Create a Station" but it is missing.

When I go to Pandora.com there is a Search function only. I type in Working
Men's Club seeking to create a station (NOT find one that someone else
created). I then switch to the Artists field and am presented with three
results. I click on the first choice. There are three dots to the left that
allow me only to "Share" and clicking on the choice itself invites me to
play songs by the group (which I cannot do without watching an ad, which
doesn't play anyhow). I do NOT want to listen to songs only by the selected
group, I want to create a station using this group and discover similar
artists.

So my question is what happened to the Create a Station field? I cannot find
it. I am not taken to a "backstage page" when I search for any artist, just
the artist's page from which I can do nothing. My thanks in advance,

Jennifer Asencio

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@deco2 Thanks for providing the artist. I was able to locate the backstage page for this group here: Working Men's Club

Looks like the option to create a station is greyed out. I've passed this information along to our curation team so they can take a deeper look. I've included a screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.31.59 AM.png

At this time, creating a station based on this artist isn't available. However, I've reported this on your behalf. In the meantime, you can create stations based on other artists or songs. 

When you click on the Play ▶️button, it will play top songs by this group rather than the station, which is probably what's causing the initiation of the free Premium session. 

We also have an existing thread created by another listener who come across artists or songs where the option is greyed out here: Option to create a station is greyed out

Thanks again for reporting this. We appreciate your patience while our curation team works on this. 🎧

0 Kudos

JamesOwen
Local Performer

I am also having this issue. There is nothing “greyed out”  when I find the artists. There’s just no option to make a station at all. From multiple artists- all of them that I’ve tried. Pandora has become basically unusable.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @JamesOwen. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

Could you please send me a screenshot of exactly what you're seeing?

If you have a Windows machine please try using the Snipping Tool. You can find specifics about this tool and how to use it here.

If you have a Mac:

1. Hold down the Shift key and the Command key (which may have an Apple logo and/or a 'four-leaf clover' type symbol). Then, while still holding down these keys, press the 3 key. This will save the screenshot as a file on your desktop. If you hit the 4 key instead, it will give you a target allowing you to drag a box around only the item that you want to take a screenshot of.
  2. Attach that file in your next post on this thread. 

++

Also, could you share a few artist names that you're noticing this issue with?

Let me know and I can take a look for you. 🎧

0 Kudos

Callguy
Local Performer

I figured it out 

search for artist / band 

You will be presented with a bunch of stations created by other users - do not choose one

There should be one that merely says "so and so" - Artist  - select that one 

Below the picture of the artist on the left you will see a play icon / an arrow icon (share) / and a antennae icon (start station) 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Callguy. 👋

You are correct - if you click on the the listing with "Artist" you're creating an artist's station and visiting their backstage page. 

You can also sort when searching.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.30.06 AM.png

Once you reach the artist's backstage page, you can create a station based on that specific artist:

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.35.37 AM.png

Hope this helps! 🎧

0 Kudos

rcb13
Local Performer

I don't think that helps at all.  I've noticed the same thing.  When I started with Pandora, I could create a station by listing a number of songs or artists that I liked, and Pandora would use that template to fill in other songs.

Now, I can only create a station by listing one artist or one song, and that is the end of my input.  From that point, it would be up to me to fill out the "genome" of the station by thumbing up or down individual songs.  I don't want to do that.  I want to set a mood for a station based upon a number of preset preferences.  

Is that ability gone?  As the previous poster said, not being able to do this basically breaks Pandora.  It was a big part of what Pandora different and worthwhile.  I have all the old stations I made this way, but it looks like I cannot create new ones...  and I'm starting to get bored with what I have.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @rcb13 👋

Thanks for your first post and for being a part of the Community.

It sounds like the feature you're mentioning is adding varieties to your stations. Adding variety will introduce a wider variety of music to your station based on each of the artist or song "seeds" you add.

Just for clarification, this feature is not gone, but if you're having issues accessing the backstage page of your station or adding variety to your station, please let us know!

To add variety from a computer, click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and then select the name of the station you'd like to edit.

From there you can Add Variety to your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. Then choose + Add Variety.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.50.20 AM.png

Next, either enter the name of another song or artist, or roll your cursor over a suggested artist. Whichever you choose, hover your mouse over your selection and click on the artist or song to add that seed to your station.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.50.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.50.56 AM.png

Hope this helps!

Gerald | Community Moderator
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

sooner74012
Local Performer

There is no red box where the words: "find an artist or song to add..."

Everything else on the page looks like yours except there is no box to add artists or songs

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @sooner74012. 👋

Thanks for posting about this community, and sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Could you share a bit more about what is happening?

• Are you attempting to create a station or add variety to a station?
  • If you're attempting to add variety to an existing station, which station(s) are you having trouble with?
  • Could you please send me a screenshot of exactly what you're seeing?
    • Windows: If you have a Windows machine please try using the Snipping Tool. You can find specifics about this tool and how to use it here.
    • If you have a MAC: Hold down the Shift key and the Command key (which may have an Apple logo and/or a 'four-leaf clover' type symbol). Then, while still holding down these keys, press the 3 key. This will save the screenshot as a file on your desktop. If you hit the 4 key instead, it will give you a target allowing you to drag a box around only the item that you want to take a screenshot of.

Let me know and I can help out. 🎧

0 Kudos