cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Increases after a song

nawrocjp
Underground

I'm listening on the pandora website on Chrome on windows 7. After about a song the sound is noticeable louder. I listen at 16% on the built in sound mixer. When I increase the sound to 18% it snaps back to where it should be and has a very noticeable change in decrease of volume. Is there a way to stop the volume from increasing all the time? No other sound playback does this on my computer, only Pandora from the website. Other websites function normally.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@nawrocjp Something to keep in mind, we don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

++

You mentioned using a built in sound mixer. Just to clarify, are you using the volume bar on the player while listening to Pandora? 

Pandora has a separate volume control. Make sure it isn't all the way down, the volume control is located in the bottom right corner of the Pandora page.

If that's not it, make sure you are plugged into the main speaker outputs of your sound card. Sometimes there are two outputs. Pandora may only play from one of them on machines with some sound drivers. Updated drivers have fixed this for many listeners.

If on a Windows machine, make sure that the "Wave Balance" volume is set at least 50% on your advanced volume control window. This is accessible by double-clicking the speaker in the lower-right corner of your screen.

Hope this info is helpful. 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

16 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @nawrocjp. 👋

Let's try out these steps for your Chrome web browser to see if this helps.

Another option is to try listening to Pandora from a different web browser as this will help us determine whether this is a browser-related issue.

Let me know how it goes and whether the volume issue persists. 🖥

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

nawrocjp
Underground

I also use Firefox and it does the same thing on there

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@nawrocjp Something to keep in mind, we don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

++

You mentioned using a built in sound mixer. Just to clarify, are you using the volume bar on the player while listening to Pandora? 

Pandora has a separate volume control. Make sure it isn't all the way down, the volume control is located in the bottom right corner of the Pandora page.

If that's not it, make sure you are plugged into the main speaker outputs of your sound card. Sometimes there are two outputs. Pandora may only play from one of them on machines with some sound drivers. Updated drivers have fixed this for many listeners.

If on a Windows machine, make sure that the "Wave Balance" volume is set at least 50% on your advanced volume control window. This is accessible by double-clicking the speaker in the lower-right corner of your screen.

Hope this info is helpful. 

pilbeam100
Local Performer

Pandora is the only app that does this, Its Pandora Not my pc or laptop or settings

0 Kudos

jdylan
Local Performer

I have the same problem with Firefox. The volume jumps after each song. I have to turn it down, but it just jumps back up. The only solution seems to be starting with the volume too low to enjoy and wait for the glitch to kick in.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, there @jdylan. 👋

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, and sorry to hear that this is happening.

• Have you tried using a different web browser or the Pandora Desktop app?
  • If so, does the same issue occur?

If you haven't already, I would recommend trying out these steps for your Firefox browser to see if it resolves this issue

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

StarSlayer
Local Performer

Well the same thing is happening to me that is happening to @nawrocjp, but it isn't the song, because I put the same song on repeat, and the volume was nearly double by the end of the third time through, and i moved the volume from 24 to 26 and it was so much quiter. Any ideas on how to fix this???

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @StarSlayer. 👋

Thanks so much for posting about your experience.

How are you listening when this happens?

• Are you using a MAC or Windows computer?
  • Pandora Desktop App? Or, are you using a web browser? Which one?

Let me know. 🎧

MTSpaces
Local Performer

I'm having the same problem. Volume increases halfway through a song. Volume number doesn't change but loudness definitely goes up. Seems to happen with no activity, like maybe the screen saver was about to kick in. This is a work related Dell PC running Windows 10 Pro with the Pandora app.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @MTSpaces. 👋

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. 

I would recommend running through these steps to troubleshoot: Desktop App Troubleshooting

Let me know if this helps with the volume increase. 🎧

nathanTX
Local Performer

Same issue here, using Firefox on a Windows 10 Pro Dell laptop.  When volume on my computer controls is set to say 12, it's a comfortable volume.  When a new song starts, it comes in MUCH louder, as if volume jumps to 30 or so.  Click my computer volume controls and it still displays volume 12, even though sounding much louder than anything else would at that displayed volume level.  But then if I click on the volume slider close to where it shows, it jumps back down to reasonable volume.  It's like each new song that starts overrides the volume settings on my computer from wherever it is set to the middle of the slider.  Very annoying.  Makes me have to run Pandora from my phone app if I want to listen while working.  Almost worthless trying to make it run through a browser on my computer. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @nathanTX. 👋

Thanks for letting us know about your experience.

Have you tried running through these steps for your Firefox browser? If not, I would recommend these steps: Firefox Troubleshooting

Also, does this issue occur if you use a different browser like Chrome?

Let me know if the steps help. 🎧

0 Kudos

rueste5
Local Performer

I will try the troubleshooting, but my guess is it wont work. I too don't understand why each new song jumps drastically in volume. Scares the hell out of me every time and makes the listening experience terrible especially since I am paying for this. You guys need to fix the problem not make a troubleshoot.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @rueste5. 👋

Thanks for your feedback around us.

Let us know how the troubleshooting goes, and whether it helps.

Another option is to try a different browser to see if you experience the issue. 

I look forward to hearing back! 🎧

0 Kudos

nawrocjp
Underground

My fix was to start using SiriusXM, much better

Tom_
Local Performer

Setting Pandora volume to max and adjusting PC speaker volume seems to have cured the issue for me.