cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling bandwidth

jwcarlton
Underground

I only have a 6M DSL connection at home, and playing Pandora through the Windows 10 app uses about 4.5M of that! So I can't listen to music while someone else in the house watches Netflix.

I don't need high-quality audio. Can you guys and gals suggest how I might throttle the bandwidth to Pandora on my computer?

I'm using Windows 10 and a Netgear router. The router does have QoS, but it's an older model and doesn't have any current applications listed. I can add a new one, but it asks for a TCP Starting Point and Ending Point and I have no idea how to find those.

TIA!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

kailasa108
Underground

First, I suggest you find and download (or view) the user's manual for your particular router. You'll be using QoS to do the throttling, and while similar, the QoS of various models do have some differences.

Basically, you'll go into the "Advanced" tab, and then into the "Setup" tab. From there it may be different, but basically you want to do the QoS Setup. Turn QoS on, and then "Bandwidth Monitoring" on, if that's a separate option. Once those are on, you will set the priority for each device (High, Normal, Low). You will need to know the MAC address for each device in order to identify them. So, you would set your TV on High,and try your computer on Low to begin with.

FYI. about 20% of Netgear users have reported problems using QoS - basically that it doesn't work, doesn't work well, or chokes the ENTIRE throughput of the router.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

kailasa108
Underground

First, I suggest you find and download (or view) the user's manual for your particular router. You'll be using QoS to do the throttling, and while similar, the QoS of various models do have some differences.

Basically, you'll go into the "Advanced" tab, and then into the "Setup" tab. From there it may be different, but basically you want to do the QoS Setup. Turn QoS on, and then "Bandwidth Monitoring" on, if that's a separate option. Once those are on, you will set the priority for each device (High, Normal, Low). You will need to know the MAC address for each device in order to identify them. So, you would set your TV on High,and try your computer on Low to begin with.

FYI. about 20% of Netgear users have reported problems using QoS - basically that it doesn't work, doesn't work well, or chokes the ENTIRE throughput of the router.

Good Luck!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing this, @kailasa108

Hopefully this helps with what @jwcarlton is experiencing! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

jwcarlton
Underground

Thanks, that helps a lot! @kailasa108 

For future readers, I'm using a Netgear D6200 router, and QoS required that I create Pandora as a new application. I set the Priority to "Low", Connection Type to "TCP/UDP, and had to include a Starting Port and Ending Port; that took some research, but I found that for Pandora they are both 443.