cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Option for fewer repeats and more variety when in Shuffle

Ideas: Option for fewer repeats and more variety when in Shuffle

tmb
Underground

I listen on shuffle mostly, but I often hear the same artist and song in a two hour session.  I don't think many people want that, esp in shuffle mode.  I also would like a lot of variety, both from an artist I like and the number of similar artists.  Deep Cuts has been a bit helpful, but even so, I hear a new artist and song I like, then the next day I hear the same song from that artist.  Why not a different song from that artist?

So my proposal is to have 3 levels of variety to select from.  

1. First level plays mostly the top hits.  More repeats and fewer similar artists.

2. Second Level of variety plays fewer repeats and more deeper cuts from similar artists.  No song repeats for a week. and songs put of a shelf for 2 or 3 months.

3. Third level of variety plays all the songs from albums of selected artists and a much wider net of similar artists.  No song repeated within 30 days.  And songs put on the shelf not heard again for 3 or 4 months.

I would also like to be able to see the songs put on the shelf like the thumbs up list.  

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (3)
20 Comments
karin42
Local Performer

I want to have more variety as well! I keep hearing the same songs over and over. It's like they are using the same seed for their randomizer. It might be good to try a different seed for every day. Like Julian Date. That's different every day.

tmb I like how you put the feature into detail. Well thought out. I think that would make a great feature. Hopefully it will get the votes needed for Pandora to consider it. Take care and stay safe. 

AJM
Opening Act

I'm all for this. certain stations I'm good with hearing the few thumbed up tracks and that's it but others could use some variety. Being able to tweak between the two would be nice

WayneS
Local Performer

Yes!

I have the premium and have 60-70 stations, and everyday hear a group of songs AL THE TIME. With 60 stations, can it play all week WITHOUT A REPEAT?

thanks,

bjonw
Underground

Pretty much exclusively, Discovery mode plays songs that are already played on the station.  

If I've given a thumbs up to a song, it should be 100% excluded from Discovery mode.

I have been trying to use the 'I'm tired of this track' feature to get it to show me new songs, but it really just serves up the same exact set of songs over and over. 

Some of these bands I know, and they have a dozen albums, but I only hear the same 4-5 songs for literal years on end.

Doesn't matter what mode I pick, it's all on repeat.

ctamutal
Opening Act

I would like to see a feature to give you the option on a station to not repeat the same artist for X number of songs and also one to not repeat the same song for X number of songs.

Elasticmedia
Local Performer

It is frustrating how Pandora doesn't respond to the wishes of their customers. The small number of songs in each station is incredibly irritating. There should be a setting for no repeated songs within X days, or a slider where you would choose fewer repeats or more repeats. 

tunit
Local Performer

When I heard that Pandora had been sold to Sirius XM in 2019, I lost hope of any meaningful improvements. It's probably running on a skeleton crew now. It's too bad, because I really would prefer Pandora over Spotify or Sirus -- if they took advantage of the vast variety of music that they could be streaming.

elfrulerdc
Local Performer

I love this idea! Hey, Pandora--Get on with it!

Elasticmedia
Local Performer

How is it that Pandora is still in business? They are totally outgunned by Spotify yet they do nothing to try and improve their service. The only thing better about them is that they are cheaper - but then again they don't provide anything close to the product of Spotify.

We have loyally stuck with Pandora all these years, but that is about to end.