cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genre Station Music Changed

Moronite
Underground

I tried to listen to an old techno station I used to listen to but the songs it's playing is completely different than what it used to play. I had a ton of thumb upped songs on that station. But now it's playing a bunch of new dubstep stuff that I don't like at all. And no matter how many times I thumb down a song it continues to give me a ton of songs that all sound almost exactly the same nothing is changing with thumbs down. I must have thumb downed over 30 songs already. And all the songs are the same as in I haven't gotten one song that used to play on the station.

I am assuming that techno and dubstep has changed and evolved over the years and it's just giving the newest popular songs in that or a similar genre. But I don't like those songs I want my old station back. Does anyone know why this is happening? Or if there is a way to fix it? I mean I could probably just create a new station but I don't think it would be the same and if it just gives me a bunch of new stuff I am probably not going to like it. 

mod edit: changed title for clarity

0 Kudos
5 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Moronite. 👋

I completely understand where you're coming from. I've taken a look at your Pandora account, and I believe the station you're referring to is Electronica Radio. 

Genre stations, such as "Electronica" or "70s Pop," are stations created and curated by Pandora, and they often include more mainstream artists and songs.

As an alternative, we recommend creating your own station, using an artist or song that you think best represents a particular genre. Then use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

Additionally, you may Add Variety to the station you create, in order to include other artists or songs you'd like to influence your station.

Keep in mind, each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way. If you don't like the direction your station is headed, you can always edit your station seeds and Thumbs through the Station Details.

That said, when you're listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.* Some stations even have curated modes. 🎧

*Not all Pandora Modes will be available on every station.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Moronite
Underground

The station I am referring to is Lindsey Sterling. Which I started from choosing an artist. I pulled up that other electronica station because the Lindsey Stirling station was no longer doing it for me. Are you able to listen to my station? I don't know the genres very well but I think what is playing on that station now is dubstep and I am not getting a single song that is different. 

I don't know if Lindsey Stirling was pulled from Pandora or something if that might have something to do with it.

mod edit: format

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Moronite Thanks so much for getting back to me with that information. Please disregard my original message as this is completely different.

It looks like that actually is the genre station, Techno Radio and the station name was possibly edited. This was very odd and I'm unsure of how that happened as you can't edit genre stations. Here's a screenshot of the station details (check out the name of the station):

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 12.32.55 PM.png

I've gone ahead and removed that station. I also added Lindsey Stirling Radio (with her as an artist seed) instead. This should be the correct station here.

Let me know if this helps! 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

Moronite
Underground

I don't know how it works now but a few years back when I created that station you could pick a song, artist, or genre and start a station with just that. Then similar songs from what you chose will play. You can like or dislike songs and that would affect what songs get played on that station. I started with Lindsey Sterling I liked or thumbs upped a bunch of her songs but also a lot of techno songs as well. So that station was a custom station that I made a long time ago and would listen to every once and a while. So it was not a set station that everyone listens to but a personal or custom station that I created and altered. It doesn't work any more though I think that station is gone forever at this point. 

Today I tried creating another station starting with Lindsey Stirling but I couldn't select the same album I started with years ago. It looks like that album of hers is on Pandora Premium but not on the free version of Pandora so that is probably why my station is gone. I'll just listen to the station you recommended me. But I am pretty sure my old station is gone for good.

I mean it's fine that my station is gone because the songs got moved to a paid version of Pandora but they should have just removed or deleted the station altogether instead of turning it into a garbage station full of songs I don't like with no ability to change any of the songs on there. Seriously I haven't liked a single song that has played on that station since they changed it and no matter how many times I dislike a song it has no affect on the future songs that play on the station. It's no good to me and needs to be deleted altogether. 

mod edit: format
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

I understand where you're coming from, @Moronite

With any subscription tier (including free), you can create stations based on an artist, composer, song, or genre seed. Albums are only a feature of Premium, and at this time, listeners cannot create a station based on a full album. 

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and sent over a private message regarding your station. I have also reported your specific issue to our engineering team so they can investigate.

Thanks for your patience during this process. 🎧

0 Kudos