cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to discover new music on Pandora?

CLRB125
Local Performer

Is there a way to turn off your thumbs up after a while? I would like to find new music I like. Try a truly random sample from everything, from Opera to Rap to Country to Jazz to Rock, etc. Is there a way to do that?

Otherwise, no matter what station I am on eventually the only things that come up are Songs that I have liked. Which is great if it weren't for the fact I am slowly buying all the songs I have liked so I can listen to them anytime I like.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your post, @CLRB125.

I moved your post to the My Collection board to keep the community organized.

At this time, there isn't a way to turn off your Thumbs. However, you can simply allow Pandora to play without using Thumb feedback. 

I would recommend using your Shuffle feature or Pandora Modes.

++

Shuffle on Pandora

Shuffling from the Now Playing screen on the Web:

• Free ad-supported or Plus listeners can find the option to shuffle your stations above the station list.

Shuffling from the My Collection page on the Web:

• Free ad-supported or Plus listeners will first sort the collection by Stations and then select Shuffle Stations.
  • Premium listeners can go to My Collection (for some, My Music), and sort the collection by Stations and select Shuffle Stations.
  • All tiers can switch between Shuffle All and a custom shuffle: just click the carat (down arrow) on the Shuffle On icon and choose either Shuffle All or Custom.

Customizing Shuffle Stations from the Web:

Stations with a blue shuffle icon will be included in the Shuffle rotation. Clicking on that icon will remove that station from your shuffle rotation.

You can customize the station included in your shuffle selection by:

• Hovering over the Shuffle On icon which will appear on the Now Playing screen which will reveal a pencil icon.
  • Clicking the pencil icon will bring you to the My Collection page.
  • Check or uncheck each station to modify your shuffle experience, either in the bottom right corner of each stations' album art, or (if you're using A-Z sorting) to the right of the station name.
  • Premium listeners can navigate more easily when customizing the shuffle experience, by sorting the stations by Recent (date added), A-Z (alphabetical) or Time Listened using the caret on the far right of your screen.

To exit Shuffle, simply select and play an individual station.

If you're using a different device, you can find out more info about how to use Shuffle here.

++

Pandora Modes

If you haven't already, I would also recommend checking out Pandora Modes.

With Pandora Modes, you can take your stations in a variety of directions*.

• My Station: The station you already know and love
  • Crowd Faves: Plays whichever relevant songs are the most popular
  • Discovery: Surfaces artists who don’t usually play on this station
  • Deep Cuts: Delve deeper into the discographies of the artists on your station
  • Newly Released: The newest releases from the artists featured on your station
  • Artist Only: Only songs from the artist headlining your station. (Please note: You may hear songs from other artists if you have added variety to a station.)

Keep in mind that since licensing regulations require a Pandora Premium subscription in order to be able to listen to your station in "Artist Only" mode, free listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers will be able to view an advertisement in order to initiate a complimentary Premium Access session. Those that do will also have access to Pandora Premium's other features during their Premium Access session.

Here's a great article for more info about Pandora Modes here.

Hope this info is helpful!

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

2 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your post, @CLRB125.

I moved your post to the My Collection board to keep the community organized.

At this time, there isn't a way to turn off your Thumbs. However, you can simply allow Pandora to play without using Thumb feedback. 

I would recommend using your Shuffle feature or Pandora Modes.

++

Shuffle on Pandora

Shuffling from the Now Playing screen on the Web:

• Free ad-supported or Plus listeners can find the option to shuffle your stations above the station list.

Shuffling from the My Collection page on the Web:

• Free ad-supported or Plus listeners will first sort the collection by Stations and then select Shuffle Stations.
  • Premium listeners can go to My Collection (for some, My Music), and sort the collection by Stations and select Shuffle Stations.
  • All tiers can switch between Shuffle All and a custom shuffle: just click the carat (down arrow) on the Shuffle On icon and choose either Shuffle All or Custom.

Customizing Shuffle Stations from the Web:

Stations with a blue shuffle icon will be included in the Shuffle rotation. Clicking on that icon will remove that station from your shuffle rotation.

You can customize the station included in your shuffle selection by:

• Hovering over the Shuffle On icon which will appear on the Now Playing screen which will reveal a pencil icon.
  • Clicking the pencil icon will bring you to the My Collection page.
  • Check or uncheck each station to modify your shuffle experience, either in the bottom right corner of each stations' album art, or (if you're using A-Z sorting) to the right of the station name.
  • Premium listeners can navigate more easily when customizing the shuffle experience, by sorting the stations by Recent (date added), A-Z (alphabetical) or Time Listened using the caret on the far right of your screen.

To exit Shuffle, simply select and play an individual station.

If you're using a different device, you can find out more info about how to use Shuffle here.

++

Pandora Modes

If you haven't already, I would also recommend checking out Pandora Modes.

With Pandora Modes, you can take your stations in a variety of directions*.

• My Station: The station you already know and love
  • Crowd Faves: Plays whichever relevant songs are the most popular
  • Discovery: Surfaces artists who don’t usually play on this station
  • Deep Cuts: Delve deeper into the discographies of the artists on your station
  • Newly Released: The newest releases from the artists featured on your station
  • Artist Only: Only songs from the artist headlining your station. (Please note: You may hear songs from other artists if you have added variety to a station.)

Keep in mind that since licensing regulations require a Pandora Premium subscription in order to be able to listen to your station in "Artist Only" mode, free listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers will be able to view an advertisement in order to initiate a complimentary Premium Access session. Those that do will also have access to Pandora Premium's other features during their Premium Access session.

Here's a great article for more info about Pandora Modes here.

Hope this info is helpful!

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

tgeliot
Underground

Very late to the game here, but one way to force discovery of new music is to use the "I'm tired of this song" feature.  On the Now Playing page, below the image of the album, are three dots.  Click on them, and one of the options is "I'm tired of this song".  Click on it, and (for this channel?  for all channels?), the song will be taken out of circulation for a month.  Do that on enough songs, and the engine is forced to find new music for you.  But then there's no way to undo this, except to wait a month.