cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of station seeds?

chadontheridge
Opening Act

Is there a maximum number of seeds that can be added to a single station?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@chadontheridge While there isn't a limit placed on the number of seeds you can add to a station, as general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

Adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches.  

You might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@chadontheridge While there isn't a limit placed on the number of seeds you can add to a station, as general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

Adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches.  

You might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

Hope this helps!

chadontheridge
Opening Act

Thanks, AdamPandora. In fact, it is just that type of variety that I like. I prefer to have my pop, classical, Spa, Christmas, jazz, etc. on one station and do not consider them undesirable matches. One trouble with having separate stations for each style is that each station must be individually cultivated. I don't want to listen to only one genre at a time to cultivate them. While I do use shuffle, it is counter productive to use up-thumbs on shuffle because I can't see which station a song is playing from and eventually the stations will begin to merge together. Since Pandora is not yet allowing me to create a station from my playlist, it seems the best way I can provide myself with the variety I want is to have a station, or shuffled stations, with a wide variety of seeds but to never use up-thumbs, Rather, take any new song I like and add it as a seed.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@chadontheridge Thanks for your feedback.

If you are listening on a computer, you do have the option of viewing what station is playing when in Shuffle Mode.

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for more information: What station is playing while in shuffle mode?

If you'd like to see this information available when streaming on mobile/other devices, I recommend upvoting this existing feature request with a ❤️Show current station playing when in Shuffle mode

Thanks for being a part of the Community! :pandora:

0 Kudos

chadontheridge
Opening Act

Follow up: Cramming a station full of seeds that I love has worked beautifully in providing with a tremendous variety of music I love. It's the best use I've been able to make of Pandora. However, after the weeks I spent loading the seeds (essentially transferring my playlist), I now see that more than half the seeds are missing. Is there a limit to the number of seeds? If not, can mine be restored? Because I had painstakingly alphabetized my playlist (to make it editable), I can see that the missing seeds are songs starting with numbers and the letters "A" through (half of) "O".

0 Kudos

chadontheridge
Opening Act

There about 498 seeds remaining in my station. Is the limit 500?

0 Kudos

chadontheridge
Opening Act

I've confirmed it. There is a limit of 500 seeds in a station.

0 Kudos