cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playlist has compressed artists played

TheBeau
Local Performer

I have a 12 year old playlist, seeded with about 20 artists, 500 thumbed up songs and almost 300 thumbed down. The playlist has been great for years, but recently it has compressed the artists down to around 6 that get played redundantly, with another 10 or so mixing a song in periodically. Why has the playlist compressed the playback? Also, on my phone the station states there are no thumbs associated, but on the website the thumbs are present.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TheBeau Nice to see you around the community.

It sounds like you are experiencing two separate issues.

To address your first issue:

I think the problem here is that you've added an excessive amount of seeds to one station. Adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. I would suggest editing this station to remove those extra seeds. As a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

To edit your stations on a computer, first make sure you're signed into your Pandora account. Then:

1. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and select the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you to a station details page which shows you information about your personalized station.
  2. You can remove a station seed from your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. You can delete a particular seed by tapping the ellipsis (or three dots), or by hovering over it and selecting Delete.
  3. To delete a Thumbed track, scroll down to the Thumb History section of this page. By default, this section will show your Thumbed up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbed down tracks, click on the Thumbs down icon. Next, either select the ellipsis next to the Thumb or hover your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a hidden menu. As before, select Delete.

Keep in mind that you can create up to 250 separate stations, so you might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

To address the issue you are having with missing thumbs:

Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening? 

1. What is the make and model of your phone (and carrier, if applicable)?
  2. Can you provide me with a screenshot of what you're seeing? (If you're not sure how to take a screenshot, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with some additional steps.)

Thanks for all your help with this.