cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Science behind personalized playlists

iseeilyse
Local Performer

Can anyone at Pandora explain if any scientific research has been done prior to putting together playlists claiming to invoke emotions such as happiness or focus? Are these playlists put together purely by algorithms? If so, I’m curious to learn more about the process.

For Subscribers— are your “mental health playlists scientifically evidence based or are you sharing your own personal playlists that work for you, in hopes they will work for others?  
All feedback is welcome and very much appreciated!  

Thanks to everyone who is sharing their personal playlists—-whether you know it or not you are making a huge impact on the mental health on millions across the globe!

More to Come!

feel free to reach out to me directly:

ilyse Gordon McCormick

iseeLOU Media; Documentary Filmmaker

Digital Innovation in Mental Health     2023 Conference Delegate

Cambridge University 

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Info

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@iseeilyse good Wednesday morning to you dear friend.

I will share with you all of the playlists that I have in my own personal collection, and each collection I have was created for a specific reason and purpose. 

download (1).jfif MOHLovesAlaska Created Playlist this playlist is my overall favorite, it is just north of 1700 songs, within this playlist are songs that I heard growing up on our family dairy farm, songs that were, and now are some of my families favorite, including myself of course. Songs that remind me of certain events that took place in my life, songs I heard at concerts I had attended, and songs that I just really like according to my own personal taste. And yes! I do have songs within this playlist that I really do not like but I still have them because they are a favorite of a loved one, or they remind me of a certain event like I just stated above. 

download (2).jfif My Reading Playlist this playlist is three songs north of 100. This playlist explains its own existence.

download (3).jfif MOHLovesAlaska Alphabet Playlist. This playlist was specifically created for a challenge here on @Pandora, but the difference is I extended this playlist beyond just one song for each letter in the Alphabet, this playlist is 39 songs south of 300. 

download (4).jfif Genre Songs Of The Day (GSOTD)  This playlist was created strictly for a post I curate here on @Pandora called Genre Songs Of The Day (GSOTD), it has songs that I have added for each day, and of course, songs that were added by request from others. This playlist is 2 songs shy of 1500. And this playlist is restricted to clean-only songs. 

download (5).jfif Love For 364 + One Valentines Day  I created this playlist obviously for Valentine's Day to share in the Pandora community.

download (6).jfif An All Women's Playlist this playlist has Female artists only within it. All the songs that I like are by female artists. I also posted this playlist to honor all the women on Mother's day here on Pandora.

download (7).jfif Jazz, Blues, With Some Soul. This should be self-explanatory within the title. And yes! just to my liking. This playlist has 213 songs. 

download (8).jfif Work Playlist this playlist I created for both myself and my brother-in-law Brian. Every spring and summer we do projects on my mother's property because we also use it as a camp. She lives 12 miles from the nearest city and 4 miles from the nearest town, so it is perfect for using it as a camp. And yes, this playlist has songs that he likes and that I like, but with a twist, some I don't like, and some that he doesn't like. 

download (9).jfif MOHLovesAlaska 2022 this playlist was created at the beginning of the year, it only has songs that came out this year. I created it for sharing within the Pandora community. I must admit, it has been a while since I added new songs to this playlist. 

download (10).jfif Christmas & Holiday Playlist. again self-explanatory, just to my liking. 

@iseeilyse enjoy the playlists if you so choose to collect them, and if not, well perhaps you will just give them a listen. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@iseeilyse good Wednesday morning to you dear friend.

I will share with you all of the playlists that I have in my own personal collection, and each collection I have was created for a specific reason and purpose. 

download (1).jfif MOHLovesAlaska Created Playlist this playlist is my overall favorite, it is just north of 1700 songs, within this playlist are songs that I heard growing up on our family dairy farm, songs that were, and now are some of my families favorite, including myself of course. Songs that remind me of certain events that took place in my life, songs I heard at concerts I had attended, and songs that I just really like according to my own personal taste. And yes! I do have songs within this playlist that I really do not like but I still have them because they are a favorite of a loved one, or they remind me of a certain event like I just stated above. 

download (2).jfif My Reading Playlist this playlist is three songs north of 100. This playlist explains its own existence.

download (3).jfif MOHLovesAlaska Alphabet Playlist. This playlist was specifically created for a challenge here on @Pandora, but the difference is I extended this playlist beyond just one song for each letter in the Alphabet, this playlist is 39 songs south of 300. 

download (4).jfif Genre Songs Of The Day (GSOTD)  This playlist was created strictly for a post I curate here on @Pandora called Genre Songs Of The Day (GSOTD), it has songs that I have added for each day, and of course, songs that were added by request from others. This playlist is 2 songs shy of 1500. And this playlist is restricted to clean-only songs. 

download (5).jfif Love For 364 + One Valentines Day  I created this playlist obviously for Valentine's Day to share in the Pandora community.

download (6).jfif An All Women's Playlist this playlist has Female artists only within it. All the songs that I like are by female artists. I also posted this playlist to honor all the women on Mother's day here on Pandora.

download (7).jfif Jazz, Blues, With Some Soul. This should be self-explanatory within the title. And yes! just to my liking. This playlist has 213 songs. 

download (8).jfif Work Playlist this playlist I created for both myself and my brother-in-law Brian. Every spring and summer we do projects on my mother's property because we also use it as a camp. She lives 12 miles from the nearest city and 4 miles from the nearest town, so it is perfect for using it as a camp. And yes, this playlist has songs that he likes and that I like, but with a twist, some I don't like, and some that he doesn't like. 

download (9).jfif MOHLovesAlaska 2022 this playlist was created at the beginning of the year, it only has songs that came out this year. I created it for sharing within the Pandora community. I must admit, it has been a while since I added new songs to this playlist. 

download (10).jfif Christmas & Holiday Playlist. again self-explanatory, just to my liking. 

@iseeilyse enjoy the playlists if you so choose to collect them, and if not, well perhaps you will just give them a listen. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska