cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbs apply to alternate (unthumbed) versions

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

I never thumbs up the live version of this song, yet it's showing that I did.

Here is the studio version that I had thumbed up.

BTW, would you rather that I keep all reports of this nature in one topic?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@icleymur I moved your post over to this thread since you are running into a similar issue.

I definitely understand your frustration with this.

To explain what is happening, we may substitute one version of a song with another version of the same song that has what is called “interactive rights.”

This helps us to maximize your playback experience by allowing you to replay it, and by making the song available for offline listening.

We understand that some of these substitutions may not be ideal. Rest assured that we are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs in our library that have interactive rights, and really appreciate your patience in the interim.

Hope this helps explain.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@blues-sevenfold Sorry for the trouble - you can report any additional instances of this in this thread. 

I'd be happy to look into this further - please follow up with:

• The name of the station the issue appeared on
  • Screenshot of incorrect song with thumb rating playing in your station (if possible)

Thanks for all your help with this!

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

Thanks, and will do!! ❤️

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

muddy.png

Okay, I found another one. This version of Diamonds at Your Feet by Muddy Waters is very scratchy, and is not the one that I initially thumbed up. Here is the version that I initially thumbed up (and is added to my collection).

Thanks!! 🙂

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@blues-sevenfold Thanks for writing back with that. I've sent this over to our engineers.

This information is really valuable, and helps us determine what might be happening.

I know this has been a frustrating issue, and I can assure you we are working on a resolution.

We really appreciate your patience in the meantime!

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

pandora00.png

Here's another one. This is a live version. Here is the studio version that I initially thumbed up.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@blues-sevenfold To explain what is happening, we may substitute one version of a song with another version of the same song that has what is called “interactive rights.”

This helps us to maximize your playback experience by allowing you to replay it, and by making the song available for offline listening.

We understand that some of these substitutions may not be ideal. Rest assured that we are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs in our library that have interactive rights, and really appreciate your patience in the interim.

0 Kudos

jotun
Underground

Is there a post to identify tracks that are labeled as the original song title, so Pandora ends up playing those instead of the original.  Normally those tracks are labeled like (live), (reworked version) or even (re-recorded version).  I just had "Song of the troubled one" by Amorphis come on like that for instance and I remember one one of my other playlists I kept getting the re-recorded version of "I want to know what love is" by Foreigner instead of the original version, no offense but the original version is preferable.  Somewhere to flag these kinds of tracks would be helpful since I don't want to thumbs down the version as it would probably also cause the original version (should it ever get played) to never be played.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jotun I moved your post to this thread to keep the community tidy.

Check out @AlyssaPandora's post above for some tips to prevent live or remixed versions of tracks from playing on your station.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

jotun
Underground

That seems all well and good but like in the case of their Foreigner song I mentioned above, I originally thumbs up the studio version but then later Pandora substituted the re-recorded version in it's place, what do I do in that sort of scenario?  Live songs and remixes in my playlists are fine, I just don't want them taking up the play slots for the studio versions.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jotun Thank you for clarifying that - I see what you are saying now, and believe this thread is more appropriate for the issue you are running into.

To explain what is happening, we may substitute one version of a song with another version of the same song that has what is called “interactive rights.”

Hope this helps explain! 

0 Kudos

jotun
Underground

I understand what your saying but when your not substituting the same song then that's an error, the reworked version should be identified as such because it's not really a substitute but a completely different work.

0 Kudos

icleymur
Local Performer

I have several songs that are explicit that I like having play. Somehow those versions no longer play for me. It says it's still the explicit version, it says I've "thumbs up" the song. But I didn't "thumbs up" the censored versions that are playing. I want my explicit songs back on my station that I listen to. How do I make this happen? Also why does this happen? Don't mess with my songs pandora!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@icleymur I moved your post over to this thread since you are running into a similar issue.

I definitely understand your frustration with this.

Hope this helps explain.

0 Kudos

Rayd1978
Local Performer

'Lose yourself' by Eminem shows up in my shuffle, I'm not positive which all of the many stations it all coems from.   I understand some versions that show up are censord.   I skip those.   Other plays are uncensord, those I Thumbs Up.
The problem comes when later a censored version starts play, I go to skip it, and it's tagged Thumbs Up.   Thumbs Up on a censored version of a song is the opposite of what I want.
Happens on others songs as well, but 'Lose Yourself' is the one I notice has happened several times.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Rayd1978 I moved your post to this thread since it sounds similar to the issue you are reporting.

The next time this happens, can you please take a screenshot of the now playing screen (showing the Thumbs Up rating applied to the censored version of the track)? 

I'd like to take a closer look.

Thanks for all your help with this! 

0 Kudos

AutoMcD
Local Performer

this is an old issue that i thought was resolved but recently i heard a track which i had given thumbs up to play as a much lower quality, i noticed the album was different but the song still thumbs-up when i did not do this.

Its not as obvious as the movie soundtrack versions which are totally different but still. This is still a thing? If the album is different then it’s not the same song.

That said, please also avoid playing 30 remixes of the same song all day. Thank you.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@AutoMcD Nice to see you around the Community. 👋🏽

Thumb ratings applying to a different version of a track:

I moved your post to this thread since you are reporting a similar issue: Thumbs apply to alternate (unthumbed) versions

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for more info on why an alternate version of a song may be substituted for the one you actually gave a Thumbs Up rating to. 

Avoiding remixed versions of a track:

We don't currently have the option to filter out certain versions of tracks, such as remixes or live recordings on Pandora stations.

In the meantime, I recommend upvoting this existing feature request with a ❤️ to express your interest in getting it added to the service as well: Exclude Live Performance/Remixed Versions of Songs

That being said, if you Thumb Down a live or remixed version of a song, you will not hear that version again on the station you're listening to. This will not keep the studio version of that track from playing and doesn't necessarily mean that you will no longer hear other songs by that artist. As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

For complete control of what you hear on Pandora, try Pandora Premium. It combines our radio service with on-demand listening and allows you to create custom playlists.

To learn about the many benefits of upgrading, click here.

Hope this helps!