cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to play stations with extensive number of seeds

Manu_Kan_
Local Performer

Been having the same issue on and off for years, it’s gotten much worse in the past months. Makes it’s pretty much unlistenable. 

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Manu_Kan_ @shqippy Our engineers believe this issue should now be resolved - can you please try playing your stations again and let us know if the error message still appears?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Manu_Kan_ Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

Does that error pop up on all of your stations or only some of them? If only some, what are the names of those stations?

Also, are you listening to Pandora on a computer or on a device?

1. If you are on a computer, are you listening from:
    • A Mac or Windows computer?
    • Our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?
  2. If you are on a device, what is the make and model (and carrier, if applicable)?
  3. Can you provide me with a screenshot of the error message you're seeing?

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

Manu_Kan_
Local Performer

It’s only one station called ALL MUSIC.

I listen on an iPhone 13

the carrier is AT&T

IMG_1383.png

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Manu_Kan_ Thanks for following up.

We've made a small change that should help. Please try again and let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

Manu_Kan_
Local Performer

It didn’t work.
I have reinstalled the app and restarted my phone.

IMG_1410.png

0 Kudos

Manu_Kan_
Local Performer

I think it’s gotten worse for me. I get the error message about 20 times before a song plays. This happens after every 1 or 2 songs. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Manu_Kan_ Thanks for your patience with this.

I've taken another look at your station, and I think the problem here is that you've added an excessive amount of seeds to it (over 2,000). Adding variety to a station doesn't narrow the song pool that Pandora chooses from, nor does it increase your chances of hearing a particular song or artist. Rather, it opens up your station to a lot of variety, which can make for some undesirable matches. I would suggest editing this station to remove those extra seeds. As a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

To edit your stations on a computer, first make sure you're signed into your Pandora account. Then:

1. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and select the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you to a station details page which shows you information about your personalized station.
  2. You can remove a station seed from your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. You can delete a particular seed by tapping the ellipsis (or three dots), or by hovering over it and selecting Delete.
  3. To delete a Thumbed track, scroll down to the Thumb History section of this page. By default, this section will show your Thumbed up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbed down tracks, click on the Thumbs down icon. Next, either select the ellipsis next to the Thumb or hover your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a hidden menu. As before, select Delete.

You might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

If you need help using or editing your Shuffle, let me know.

Hopefully this helps!

0 Kudos

shqippy
Local Performer

Hi Alyssa, I'm now having this problem on my Prince station, which has 4143 thumbs up & 98 thumbs down.  Could you please take a look?  Thanks!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Manu_Kan_ @shqippy Our engineers believe this issue should now be resolved - can you please try playing your stations again and let us know if the error message still appears?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

shqippy
Local Performer

Seems to be working now, thank you!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@shqippy Glad to hear things are back up and running again.

If this continues to be an issue down the line, please make sure to reach back out to us and let us know.

Thanks for listening!

0 Kudos