cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"New" music popping up on my stations

LAKnox
Local Performer

In the past few weeks, I've noticed that there are a lot of new songs popping up from artists that I have a station for.  These aren't new songs in that they're new releases, but "new" songs that are popping up from the same albums I've been listening to for years, and have liked the songs from.  I have no clue how the artist side of things work and can only surmise that artists can list an album, but not allow all tracks to play on Pandora.  If this isn't how it works, how can I like 5 songs out of 10 on an album and never even see the 5 I haven't even seen the ones that are now popping up?  This is also across the board, with a good portion of my saved artists.

Lyle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@LAKnox Nice to see you around the Community.

This may just be a result of the feedback you've given across your stations over the years.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

There are a number of variables that come into play when selecting the next song:

• The complete range of musical attributes for all of the songs we have by the artist you used to create the station. For example, for a station based on Brian Eno, you might hear rock songs and ambient music. You might try creating a station from one of the artist's songs instead (e.g. Lucky Star by Madonna). This should make the station much more specific.

• The type of feedback you've given on the station (all the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings) and any additional artist or song seeds you've added to the station. Pandora lumps all this together and tries to determine what the best musical match is based on our musical analysis.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This all being said, if you were looking for a way to hear some tracks from artists that don't particularly play very often, I recommend utilizing the Deep Cuts Mode:

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 10.46.48 AM.png

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@LAKnox Nice to see you around the Community.

This may just be a result of the feedback you've given across your stations over the years.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

There are a number of variables that come into play when selecting the next song:

• The complete range of musical attributes for all of the songs we have by the artist you used to create the station. For example, for a station based on Brian Eno, you might hear rock songs and ambient music. You might try creating a station from one of the artist's songs instead (e.g. Lucky Star by Madonna). This should make the station much more specific.

• The type of feedback you've given on the station (all the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings) and any additional artist or song seeds you've added to the station. Pandora lumps all this together and tries to determine what the best musical match is based on our musical analysis.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This all being said, if you were looking for a way to hear some tracks from artists that don't particularly play very often, I recommend utilizing the Deep Cuts Mode:

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 10.46.48 AM.png

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

LAKnox
Local Performer

I get most of that, Adam, it's just that when you've been listening to a particular artist for several years, and like every song that pops up by them, including songs on the same album, then all of a sudden several songs you've not seen before, and from the same album(s) start popping up, it makes me wonder about the algorithms being used.  I'd love it if you had a "like an artist" or "like an album" so you'd get the whole library of an artist instead of just piecemeal.  If the listener then didn't like a particular song, then they could give it a thumbs down to remove it from that artist's playlist.

Lyle

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for your feedback, @LAKnox.

I recommend creating a feature request if you'd like to see those options added to the service.

You can create a new one here.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos