cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad Feedback - Explicit Ads

Jvjohnson82
Local Performer

I am not sure where this is supposed to go but why on earth does Pandora allow ADs that talk about abortion and death penalty??? Is this supposed to be family friendly?? Does Pandora just let any AD run before vetting?? I dont care what side of the conversation you are on

Labels (1)
73 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kimballclark You might want to restrict Pandora from playing songs with explicit content. When you do that, you not only remove songs with explicit lyrical content, you also remove some ads that are not intended for people who have demonstrated an aversion to explicit content. As a result, this option may remove some advertisements that might offend you.

To disable explicit content from our website on a computer, click the icon (initial or picture) on the top right corner of the page, select Settings, and then Content Settings.

There, you should see an Explicit Content toggle, which indicates whether you would like to allow explicit content or not. Set this to Off.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Nightcaste
Underground

This forum is terrible.  This comment was supposed to be in a completely different thread.

**ahem** are you doing, Pandora?

Chillgamesh
Local Performer

As others have said, the Explicit Content toggle (even if it worked, which people are saying it does not) is not a reasonable solution.  I don't mind if a song I have thumbed-up drops an F-bomb, but lately I constantly get a banner ad with a Manga-looking comic suggesting that there are there are naked underage girls if I click the image, which of course has no url or brand associated. And no, I'm not clicking that mystery link to provide you the advertiser name.

This is on a work computer. I am just overjoyed to think my coworkers might look over my shoulder and wonder what I've been searching for that is causing me to be targeted by such ads.  

Lingerie and swimsuit ads are annoyingly unprofessional to be on my work computer, but I draw the line at sexually explicit kiddie cartoons. 

KatrinaWeaver
Local Performer

I am a Pandora app user, and have moderately conservative music preferences. Unfortunately the Pandora ads have gotten more and more frequent and explicit, even on kid's stations!

It's gotten so bad that I have to dive for the mute button, but a birth control ad starts off so explicitly that I can't mute fast enough. These ads are not correlated with my search history or habits. I absolutely will not pay for an upgraded Pandora service just to get bare minimum, clean listening. 

Please institute an ad-rating system ASAP. This would save the advertiser money, narrow their target audience, and retain Pandora listeners. The thumbs up and down work for songs, why not for ads too? Listeners would happily use reasons such as "Too repetitive" and "Inappropriate content". 

Helpful replies requested. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@KatrinaWeaver I moved your post over to this existing thread: Ad Feedback - Explicit Ads

Explicit ads playing on regular stations:

We recognize that certain material is sensitive ground, so we do our best to preserve the listening experience. All of our ads are thoughtfully vetted by folks across various teams at Pandora, to ensure they are free from speech or content that is hateful, illegal, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate or unfair. While we respect the perspective of each individual, and while there are occasional judgment calls still required, we feel strongly that our advertising platform should not be in the business of censoring.

That being said, you might want to restrict Pandora from playing songs with explicit content. When you do that, you not only remove songs with explicit lyrical content, you also remove some ads that are not intended for people who have demonstrated an aversion to explicit content. As a result, this option may remove some advertisements that might offend you.

To disable explicit content from our website on a computer, click the icon (initial or picture) on the top right corner of the page, select Settings, and then Content Settings.

There, you should see an Explicit Content toggle, which indicates whether you would like to allow explicit content or not. Set this to Off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Explicit ads playing on kid's stations:

Explicit ads should never play on Children's stations regardless of whether or not you have your Explicit Filter enabled.

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Could you tell me a little more?

Please include as much of the below information as possible:

1. What was the ad for? Do you remember the brand, product, event or website name?
  2. Do you remember anything specific that was said or mentioned in the explicit ad that played?
  3. Was it a visual ad, an audio ad, or a video ad with audio?
  4. What is the name of the children's station you were listening to?
  5. What day did this advertisement play?
  6. If you are able to grab a screenshot of the ad, please send that over as well.

Once I have more information about the ad, I can pass it along to our advertising team.

We really appreciate your help with this! 

0 Kudos

kimballclark
Local Performer

Is your default setting to permit explicit content, than to block it?

Stephiejean
Local Performer

I've enjoyed listening to music on Pandora for years, but the other day I happened to hear an ad for tequila on a children's station (Phineas and Ferb). I'm not against adults enjoying alcohol, but I think it's completely inappropriate to advertise it to kids.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Stephiejean I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first. Could you tell me a little more?

Please include as much of the below information as possible:

1. ? Do you remember the brand of tequila that was being advertised?
  2. Do you remember anything specific that was said or mentioned in the explicit ad that played?
  3. Was it a visual ad, an audio ad, or a video ad with audio?
  4. What day, and around what time did the ad play?
  5. If it plays again and you are able to grab a screenshot of the ad, please send that over as well.

Once I have more information about the ad, I can pass it along to our advertising team.

0 Kudos

Nik777
Local Performer

pandora has to do something with ad regulations . We could be listening to kids songs and ad pops up talking about making out or periods etc . How is that appropriate? Even i've tried subscriptions still getting ads less often but same unregulated spam . 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Nik777 Nice to see you around the Community.

Explicit ads playing on kid's stations:

Explicit ads should never play on Children's stations regardless of whether or not you have your Explicit Filter enabled.

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first.

The next time an explicit ad plays on one of your Children's stations, please make sure you grab a screenshot of it.

I'll then need you to follow up with as much of the below information as possible:

1. What was the ad for? Do you remember the brand, product, event or website name?
  3. What is the name of the children's station you were listening to?
  4. What day and time did this advertisement play?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hearing ads after signing up for a subscription:

I'm showing the Pandora account connected to your Community profile is still set up with the free service.

To clarify, are you currently getting billed for a subscription to Pandora?

If so, when was the last time you were charged, and what amount?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Teron6
Local Performer

I would like to report listening to Jojo Siwa radio for my 9 yr old daughter and there was an ad for medical marijuana. I'm all for it's usefulness, but not on kids radio.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Teron6 If that ad plays again on that station, can you please do me a favor and grab a screenshot of it for me?

Also please let me know the exact date and time that it plays when you grab the screenshot.

I'd like to escalate this over to our Ads team so they can further investigate.

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

Ghelfy13
Local Performer

Hey Pandora,

I got an inappropriate ad for pubic hair from Venus on my pandora even after I went to settings to set for none children friendly content to be filtered out. How can we report ads as inappropriate so we don't hear them again?

Best,

Concerned Listener 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ghelfy13 Thanks so much for sharing your feedback.

I have passed your message along to our Ads team for further review.

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us about this!

0 Kudos

Ghelfy13
Local Performer

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate you guys taking the time to review and address these posts!

ProllyRocket
Local Performer
  • I’ve just been searching between the site and my app for the last 2 hours trying to limit what ads I’m hearing and I STILL can’t figure it out. All I want is to not hear the horror ads anymore. I get horrible anxiety every time one comes on- to the point that it’s completely ruining my listening experience. I get that it’s a free service that you can pay to limit the ads on but I simply don’t have the money for that right now. It should be an easy process to do without limiting my music range available but half the advise I’m seeing is just “turn off all explicit content”   I should be able to listen to hard core rap without getting jump scared by my 3rd Smile Ad in a row. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ProllyRocket I moved your post over to this existing thread: Ad Feedback - Explicit Ads

I have a couple of suggestions which you might find helpful. First, you might want to restrict Pandora from playing songs with explicit content. When you do that, you not only remove songs with explicit lyrical content, you also remove some ads that are not intended for people who have demonstrated an aversion to explicit content. As a result, this option may remove some advertisements that might offend you (ex: horror movie ads).

You might also consider upgrading to Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium. These are our advertising-free subscriptions, which also offer a number of other benefits you might find attractive.

For instance, Pandora Plus includes unlimited skips, replays, and offline listening, while Pandora Premium boasts all of these features as well as a curated, on-demand library.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Bheter6
Underground
There is no way. Pandora makes money off the horror advertisements. They play video “fright fest” ads on my baby’s TODDLER MUSIC STATION.

The moderator just says “upgrade” or “turn off explicit content”. We have simply stopped using pandora

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Bheter6 Explicit ads should never play on Children's stations regardless of whether or not you have your Explicit Filter enabled.

I'm happy to look into this for you, but I'll need a bit more information first.

The next time an explicit ad plays on one of your Children's stations, please make sure you grab a screenshot of it.

I'll then need you to follow up with as much of the below information as possible:

3. What is the name of the children's station you were listening to?
  4. What day and time did this advertisement play?

0 Kudos

Bheter6
Underground
Honestly. I don’t have time to do this every Halloween. I’ve reported and provided all of this information probably a dozen times.

Halloween advertisements make pandora money. The “advertising team” doesn’t care that it’s played immediately after “wheels on the bus”. I’ve reported, screen shot, video taped. It’s not worth the risk of showing my BABY a bloody zombie image so pandora can send me another canned response.

We have switched to another safer streaming option.

Brendie Heter