cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for streaming without using mobile data

Local Performer

Can Boost users stream Pandora without using their mobile data ( I'm not talking about using wi-fi) through some special arrangement? Does Pandora have this agreement with other mobile companies? What are these mobile companies?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@5682 There are not currently any plans that offer the ability to stream Pandora without using mobile data or WiFi.

Because of our content licensing agreements and the dynamic nature of our service, you will need to have either an internet or cellular network connection in order to stream Pandora.

Our ad-supported service operates under a license that doesn't allow us to download stations to user devices. Additionally, unlike other music services, your stream can change depending on your feedback (Thumbs up, down, "I'm tired of this track", etc.). As a result, we need to process each song or podcast episode as a separate audio stream, which requires a network connection.

That being said, we do offer an offline listening option for Pandora Plus and Pandora Premium subscribers. For more info on Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium, please visit our help page.

Hope this helps explain! 😎

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@5682 There are not currently any plans that offer the ability to stream Pandora without using mobile data or WiFi.

Because of our content licensing agreements and the dynamic nature of our service, you will need to have either an internet or cellular network connection in order to stream Pandora.

Our ad-supported service operates under a license that doesn't allow us to download stations to user devices. Additionally, unlike other music services, your stream can change depending on your feedback (Thumbs up, down, "I'm tired of this track", etc.). As a result, we need to process each song or podcast episode as a separate audio stream, which requires a network connection.

That being said, we do offer an offline listening option for Pandora Plus and Pandora Premium subscribers. For more info on Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium, please visit our help page.

Hope this helps explain! 😎

0 Kudos

Ozzman36
Local Performer

Why does my data plan say that streaming Pandora doesn't count against my data usage? Isn't that false advertising? Someone explain because I've used 8 to 12 gigs a month streaming this **ahem** thinking I wasn't being charged. Had I known I would've saved data for more important things. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ozzman36 That would be something you need to follow up with your mobile provider about.

When listening to Pandora on most mobile devices, we use a highly-tuned 64Kbps AAC+ codec for the high-quality setting.

That works out to 8.2 KiloBytes (8.2KB) per second, or roughly 500KB per minute. Figuring in additional content, such as information about the music and advertising, usage will likely be in the neighborhood of 35MB per hour.

The Normal quality setting is half of this figure.

0 Kudos