cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Pandora Stops When Using Other Apps

Tracy27
Local Performer

My pandora stops when I use other apps. This didn't used to happen and is now happening on my iPhone and iPads. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pandora, and it didn't fix the problem. And also it randomly pauses...thoughts? Any solutions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like you may be using another app that requires sound.

Unfortunately, the sound settings of each app are set by the needs of the app and cannot be altered. If you are playing a game or using an app that requires sound, the audio from Pandora may pause. It's not possible for us to override the sound settings, or any other functions of another app.

++

If you don't think this is what's happening, could you provide more information about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone 5c, iPod 6th gen, iPad Air2, etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G (cellular data) when this is happening?
  • Have any error messages popped up? If so, what exactly does it say?

Here are some steps you can try on your iOS device to see if it helps.

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

37 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Tracy27. 👋

Unfortunately, the sound settings of each app are set by the needs of the app and cannot be altered.

If you are playing a game or using an app that requires sound, the audio from Pandora may pause. It's not possible for us to override the sound settings, or any other functions of another app.

++

If you don't think this is what's happening, could you provide more information about your device?

Could you tell me more about your device?

• Carrier:
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G (cellular data) when this is happening?

Hope this helps. 📲

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

Tblakney
Local Performer

This happens to me as well  The Pandora app must be showing on my screen or it stops playing. Even when using other apps that need no sound such as Gmail, google ect. If the Pandora is not showing on my phone, It will not play. Please help  I listen to Pandora Daily from 2am intil 10 am so I hope I am able to resolve this issue

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Tblakney. 👋

Could you try out these troubleshooting steps for your device?

Also, please check about my post about this above.

Let me know if the trouble persists. Feel free to follow up with the requested information.

0 Kudos

Jen87
Local Performer

I have the same problems

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Jen87. 👋

Sounds like you're experiencing something similar to the other listeners on this thread.

• Please check out my message about the sound settings on your mobile device here.
  • If you still have trouble, please try running though the standard troubleshooting steps in this helpful article.

Let me know if you continue to have issues, and feel free to follow up with the requested information in my post regarding the sound settings. 

0 Kudos

joemd1960
Up & Coming Artist

I have had this happen to me more than once. And when it connects again, it’s not on the same station I was listening to. Strange to say the least. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Unfortunately, the sound settings of each app are set by the needs of the app and cannot be altered. If you are playing a game or using an app that requires sound, the audio from Pandora may pause. It's not possible for us to override the sound settings, or any other functions of another app.

++

• Carrier:
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G (cellular data) when this is happening?
  • Have any error messages popped up? If so, what exactly does it say?

Here are some steps you can try on your iOS device to see if it helps.

joemd1960
Up & Coming Artist

I think it may be related to using air play with my Sonos system. 
I’ll try those steps, and use Pandora directly through the Sonos app.  If it doesn’t work, I know where to find you guys!😉😃 Thanks for your help! 😊

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Anytime! @joemd1960

Feel free to let us know if anything else pops up. 👍

joemd1960
Up & Coming Artist

Here’s one thing I found, Miss Pandora is confused. If I open the Sonos app, all is good with the streaming. But I won’t know until it’s been playing for awhile if it will shut down on me.  With that said, the app gets confused. If I stream directly from the Sonos app, than close the Sonos, or minimize the app, and open the Pandora app. 
She is not playing what’s on the Sonos app, if you follow me. But, if I start streaming from the Pandora app, and open the Sonos app. It is syncing just is fine. Sheesh, now I  think I am confused as well. 😁

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@joemd1960  You can group, edit, control and stream to your Sonos device directly from the Pandora app (rather than the Sonos Controller app).

To do that, make sure you're connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Sonos device, and open the Pandora app.

You'll see a casting option (a rectangle with diagonal lines) on the Now Playing screen. Tap it to initiate a connection with your Sonos device. Once you've connected successfully, the casting icon will appear filled in, and a new navigation screen (or "device shelf") will appear. This shelf will allow you to edit your Sonos groups, select which devices to play through, or control the volume of your devices.

Just click on Show Group to make edits to the currently playing devices, or Edit to make changes to other groups.

I think this may be easier to control when listening to Pandora by streaming directly from the app instead.

Hope this info is helpful! 🎵

joemd1960
Up & Coming Artist

I pretty much know how to do all that.  But the fact you took the time out, to explain all the steps shows how helpful, and what a good person you’re, thus another reason why I use Pandora. It is much appreciated, thank you!😊

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Of course, @joemd1960! That's what I'm here for. 😊

Nelson1978
Local Performer

I just want to play my game and keep my music on with no interruption from the games thug life and clean Master but always cut off my music what do I need to do

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Nelson1978. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. 

I would recommend checking out my post about using other apps while listening to Pandora. You can find that post here.

If you've been able to listen to Pandora in the past while playing this particular game, you can also try running through the standard troubleshooting steps for your iOS device. 

Hope this helps! 🎧

0 Kudos

Cmike9124
Local Performer

I am having a similar problem - using an iPhone X.  The issue started when I started using a new pair of Powerbeats Pro.  I will be listening to music while browsing on the internet or playing a game and the music will occasionally just stop for no apparent reason.  It did not happen as often before the new earbuds, but it still happened occasionally (although the cause was usually more obvious - website, video, or game would take over the sound - now it stops for no apparent reason)

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Cmike9124. 👋

Thanks so much for letting us know about your experience.

Something to note, the sound settings of each app are set by the needs of the app and cannot be altered. So, if you are playing a game or using an app that requires sound, the audio from Pandora may pause. It's not possible for us to override the sound settings, or any other functions of another app.

It sounds like this is happening more about using new Bluetooth, Powerbeats Pro headphones. 

I would first recommend repairing your headphones to establish a fresh connection.

If the issue persists, could you try running through these steps? You can find them here: iOS Troubleshooting

0 Kudos

Rikkilee85
Local Performer

Dear Pandora programmers, engineers, etc... please figure out a way to let pandora override apps that play sound. I think many would like this feature and would pay extra to be able to play Pandora continuously while being able to mute and still use  other apps like Pinterest , YouTube or games. Everyone hates the stupid sounds games make anyway lol

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Rikkilee85. 👋

I completely understand where you're coming from. I would recommend upvoting this existing feature request if you'd like to see this option implemented: Play Over Other Apps

To upvote this suggestion, click on the 💙icon next to the title of the request.

Hope to see you around the community space more often. 🎧