cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artist: Album artwork no longer displaying

ChugKendall
Local Performer

Album artwork on my old band's songs was displayed just fine for the last 15 years or so, but in the last month our album's artwork no longer displays with our songs. How can this be fixed? We don't use a distributor, since we no longer press the album. Can we do a manual update, or request a fix? Thanks!

FYI: This is also happening on the website when streaming, and my artist profile page no longer shows the artwork.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Hi @ChugKendall 

Welcome to community! Since you're an artist, I moved your post over to our Creators space.

Can you let us know the name of the band? We can take a closer look.

Thanks!

CC @ChrisPandora 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

3 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @ChugKendall 

Welcome to community! Since you're an artist, I moved your post over to our Creators space.

Can you let us know the name of the band? We can take a closer look.

Thanks!

CC @ChrisPandora 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

ChugKendall
Local Performer

The band is Downcount. I am the lead vocalist, co-writer and copyright holder of the music. I have been in contact with the Amp folks, and they tell me that they need a publicly available website that displays the email associated with my account. I have nothing to offer them, because my band went on hiatus back in 2009, and we did not renew our band's website domain (DOWNCOUNTband.com). The only other page we had was a Facebook fan page, but we accidentally made it "private" when we created it, and Facebook won't allow a change to "public," so we didn't do much with it. I have offered to show my ASCAP credentials, and even show them a photo of my ID, to prive my identity, but I'm not getting anywhere. I have my copyright certificates, and you can search the ASCAP website and see my name on search results for our songs. What kind of ridiculous hoops do I have to jump through to regain access to my artist profile? You can check your own usage and account records and verify that this account has been managing the artist and station pages all these years. I don't think someone thought all of this through. Account access should transfer to the new service. Please advise.

0 Kudos

NADRIP
Diamond in the Rough

Hi ChugKendall, please read this carefully as I hope you will find it helpful.  I put myself in the position of Pandora and I was able to find you on songview, which is a searchable database that gives a combined view of all BMI and ASCAP works, and I take it you are KENDALL CHRISTOPHER DOUGLAS with ASCAP IPI# 00339188532.  I also saw the two of you set up a publishing company (in name, anyway) for your songs called TIPTOE THROUGH THE TWO LIPS MUSIC PUBLISHING with ASCAP IPI# 00339175447.  So, next I know that the MLC requires a valid publisher email by law and also the MLC maintains a publicly available searchable database.  https://portal.themlc.com/search#work  So, going to the MLC portal, I entered your publishing company name and also the names of your songs and I can't find you!

Now I know that if I could find you there, I would therefore be able to provide for your a "publicly available website that displays the email address" of your official publisher, anyway, and Pandora could use that email to verify you.

But a bigger problem is that you seem to be worried about your album cover not showing, but you're clearly not registered to collect all your royalties, so I think getting registered to collect all your royalties is a bigger problem.  And, as a bonus, if you do so, you'll have a workaround for this problem.

Let's talk about royalties that your songs receive from a streaming site like Pandora.  Pandora is an excellent example, because streams from Pandora Premium accounts pay royalties in one way, and streams from Pandora Free accounts pay royalties in another way, so between them, you'll be fully covered for royalties all online streaming sites and all radio.

Interactive streams are what Pandora Premium streams are, where users have specific control over what they hear.  These forms of streams get three revenue streams:

a) song public performance rights (performance royalties - which ASCAP will collect for you)

b) song reproduction and distribution rights (mechanical royalties - which the MLC will collect for you https://portal.themlc.com - the MLC was set up by the US government as a nonprofit NGO that is officially responsible for collecting and paying out these royalties)

c) sound recording reproduction and distribution rights (note this is for the sound recording not the song - which your distributor should be collecting.  Now, you've indicated above you don't have a distributor.  You should have one because you're losing a lot of earnings.  Personally I use RouteNote.  They allow me to distribute my songs online and they have no never charged me a penny, just instead they take a 15% share of all the revenues I generate that come through them.  They do also have a plan I can switch to at any time where I can choose to pay fixed amounts and that plan is one of the best I've seen, but for now I'm better off with the zero cost plan I'm on.  So, you could go from getting 0% to 85% of these royalties overnight, and RouteNote could fix your album artwork, as a bonus.

Non-interactive streams are what Pandora Free streams are, which are much more like Internet radio, where as a listener I can choose a station but not a specific song.  These forms of streams get two revenue steams:

a) song public performance rights (performance royalties - which ASCAP will collect for you)

b) sound recording digital performance rights (note this is for the sound recording not the song - which SoundExchange collects (https://sxdirect.soundexchange.com/login/?next=/)  SoundExchange, like the MLC, was set up by law and is similarly a non-profit NGO that is officially responsible for collecting and paying out these royalties.

So, it seems like you probably should be prioritizing getting registered on the MLC, SoundExchange, and a distributor (like RouteNote or whatever one you choose).  And, then, your life will be much easier and your wallet will be fatter.

I will note that two potential revenue streams the above 4 organizations will not cover are a) sync revenues like from TV or movies, but if you ever place a song on a huge movie, you can research that, and b) if you want to try to monetize your lyrics (I wouldn't bother unless your songs become a lot more popular - if they do, you can research that)

If this was helpful to you maybe add a NADRIP song to your playlist if you like it.