cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

Marcia13
Underground

Pandora randomly stops playing on Android

Has this problem ever been resolved?  It seems lots of folks have had this same problem but I couldn't find a definitive reason why or a solution.  I have a Pixel 4A 5G and just started a paid subscription a few days ago.  I can listen for about thirty minutes or so, and then for no apparent reason, it stops.  The only way to get it started again is to exit the app and then try again.  This glitch needs to be fixed...please!

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
89 Replies

AdamPandora

@MusicFan11929 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

Check out the accepted solution for our recommended troubleshooting steps, as they may resolve the issue for you.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

Songstress
Local Performer

I have a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra. I used to be able to play Pandora in the background while using another app. Now, if I open anything else, after opening Pandora, the music stops. No error message. It just stops playing.

0 Kudos

MariaPandora

Hi @Songstress !

To keep things in order, I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

Please the accepted solution for our recommended troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

TwoPennies
Local Performer

Issue with playback on Samsung phone - Pandora stops working when screen times out

I've emailed support about this issue several times. Nothing has been resolved. When Pandora is running on my phone (on wi-fi), it will not play the next song if the screen has timed out. Once I've  refreshed the screen, Pandora continues. I've sent the build and version of my phone and hear nothing back. NOW I see that my Pandora subscription is going up 20% at renewal. SERIOIUSLY...looking into Spotify. The latest issue is it takes several times to get Pandora up and going...constantly getting a "retry" when loading the app. And, yes, I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. That did not fix the problem. Maybe I should take this to TikTok and see how other's feel about the quality of this app taking a dive while they plan to up the subscriptions by 20%! 

0 Kudos

ArtP
Local Performer

After the latest update Pandora stops playing in auto play mode when I lock the screen. I start a song, lock the screen and put the phone away. It keeps playing until the song comes to an end and Pandora stops playing. 

Once I unlock the screen it starts playing again. 

Happens very often but unfortunately not all the time. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@ArtP To clarify, does this only happen when Pandora is in AutoPlay?

Or does the music also stop (when your phone screen is locked) while listening to regular stations, albums or playlists?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

ArtP
Local Performer

Anything. Playlist as well. Just tested. But it doesn't stop the music immediately. Finished the song. Also it happens when I have Bluetooth earbuds in. I'll test with Bluetooth in the car. It wasn't happening in the car yesterday. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@ArtP Thanks for following up.

I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

In the meantime, check out the accepted solution for our recommended troubleshooting steps, as they may resolve the issue for you.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

Foxdarla8
Local Performer

My music stops playing Everytime I leave the app and go onto another ap. How do I keep it playing?!

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Foxdarla8 

Welcome to community!

It sounds like there may be some battery restriction settings enabled on your Android. I've moved your post over to an existing thread around this experience.

Try these steps to see if they help:

When updating the OS on Android devices, the battery optimization on all apps may be automatically turned back on by default. This can cause performance issues or interfere with playback when the app is backgrounded.

Please try the following steps:

• Open your device Settings and then Apps.
  • Scroll to find Pandora or use Search in the upper right hand corner.
  • Select Battery
  • Next select Unrestricted.

Due to the numerous models of Android devices, we are unable to provide step by step instructions for every device. Please look up the steps to manage battery optimization for the specific make and model of your device and disable this for the Pandora app if the above does not apply.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos