cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

Marcia13
Underground

Pandora randomly stops playing on Android

Has this problem ever been resolved?  It seems lots of folks have had this same problem but I couldn't find a definitive reason why or a solution.  I have a Pixel 4A 5G and just started a paid subscription a few days ago.  I can listen for about thirty minutes or so, and then for no apparent reason, it stops.  The only way to get it started again is to exit the app and then try again.  This glitch needs to be fixed...please!

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
58 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for trying that out, @ragoo43.

I'd like to report your experience to our tech team.

Please reply back with the following details about your device:

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@sbap Thanks for providing that info.

I've passed this along to the appropriate parties for further investigation. We'll follow up with you if we need any additional details.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

ragoo43
Underground
My phone is a TCL 40x G
Android version is 13
Pandora version 2310.1
I have not noticed any patterns.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @ragoo43. 👋

Sorry for any trouble you've experienced. Based on your message, it sounds like you've already tried all of the steps in the accepted solution for this issue here. Thanks for reporting your device info as I've gone ahead and shared this with our tech team on your behalf. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 
0 Kudos

Sugababies73
Local Performer

For the past 2 weeks I noticed my Pandora music app pauses after 1 song played. I have to use my phone to touch the screen, go the pandora app and let it play a new song. What's up with this? I have uninstall and reinstall the app and still not resolved.  My phone has the latest software updates!! Do I need to use another music app?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Sugababies73. 👋

I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

At this time, I would recommend starting with reviewing your settings and the troubleshooting steps listed in the accepted solution here

++

Device Details:

If you continue to have trouble, would you mind sharing more details around your device? I could share that info with our tech team for you.

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

I hope this helps. Let me know. 🎧

0 Kudos

Alessea
Local Performer

For anyone having issues still in this (or other apps) that just stop in the background on Galaxy devices, the issue is coming from "Battery/Device Care".  It can be disabled via ADB.

1. Download the ADB tools from here for your OS. Extract to a directory where you can run them. https://developer.android.com/tools/releases/platform-tools

2. Plug your phone in to your computer.

3. From an elevated command prompt, run the following command: adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.lool

It may ask you to accept the security token and then you might have to run it again.

4. From Settings --> Apps, scroll to Device Care. Click on it, scroll to the bottom and clear the data cache.

5. Reboot your phone.

Apps should work with no issue in the background now. You can remove the ADB tools if you don't need them.

I've verified this works on both an S20+, and an S24 Ultra.  I assume it will work on many other Galaxy devices.

Zteddy75
Local Performer

I have the same problem. I am on my cellphone (Moto 5G 2022) and it will just stop playing. It doesn't have an error message it just closes the app out. I just want it to keep playing while I'm doing other things, but every few minutes I have to restart the app 😔

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Zteddy75. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

At this time, I would recommend starting with reviewing your settings and the troubleshooting steps listed in the accepted solution here

Feel free to let us know if you continue to have trouble. 🎧

0 Kudos

RoxyR85
Local Performer

Same issues on Samsung s23+. Verizon is the carrier. It's needs to be fixed I have been a customer for years and never had these issues until some of the latest updates for the Android app. Fails to load, freezes at random times for no reason. Stops working in my car while driving and the whole app has to be restarted due to it freezing just to change the song. Please fix the bugs with the app. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reporting and for your feedback, @RoxyR85. I have shared the information you've provided to the appropriate party internally. We appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

0 Kudos

Philhutton66
Local Performer

I have a problem when listening to standard free subscription after about two hours or so it shuts off on me clears what I was listening to I cannot afford full subscription and no where is there a trouble shoot are a way to turn off a timer if that is the problem please help thank you phil

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Philhutton66. 👋

Thanks for visiting the Pandora Community!

I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

I would recommend checking out the accepted solution to see if that helps. 

Let me know if you continue to have trouble with this. 🎧

0 Kudos

Johnheinrich
Local Performer

TMobile samsung a14 songs stop all the time 

No errors just stops I press the power button and hit play arrow and then hit the power button to close the screen. Put phone in pocket and go back to work. Sometimes it stops after the next song and other times it will stop after 2 songs.   It now just stopped in the middle of the song playing, while I'm typing this 

Moderator Edit: Merged comments

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Johnheinrich  I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

I recommend starting with reviewing your settings and the troubleshooting steps listed in the accepted solution here.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

Purplelvr
Local Performer

For the last few days, the app has just stopped playing for seemingly no reason. The song/controls do not show up when it is playing like it used to in the past. I restarted my phone, uninstalled/reinstalled the app and nothing seems to help.

If this doesn't get fixed soon, I'll have to use Spotify instead and I really don't want to!

Please advise - is this a glitch that an upcoming update will correct?

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Purplelvr 

Welcome to community!

Does the playback stop when your phone is locked or the app is backgrounded? If so, I would recommend checking your battery optimization settings.

The battery optimization may automatically be turned back on by default. This can cause performance issues or interfere with playback when the app is backgrounded.

Please try the following steps:

• Open your device Settings and then Apps.
  • Scroll to find Pandora or use Search in the upper right hand corner.
  • Select Battery
  • Next select Unrestricted.

If the steps above do not apply, then I recommend looking up specific steps to manage battery optimization for your device. Due to the numerous models of Android devices, we are unable to provide step by step instructions for every device.

For the player controls, you mentioned they do not show up. Do you mean when your phone is locked? And do they not appear at all or do they appear greyed out and are unresponsive? Would you be able to share a screenshot of what you're seeing?

You can attach a screenshot directly here on community, this is best done through a mobile or web browser. You won't be able to include pictures through the email notification you may receive.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Purplelvr
Local Performer

Thank you! I'm testing the battery optimization now. 

When I say the player controls do not show up - I do not see them at all, whether my device is locked or not. I have to go into the app itself to move to the next song etc.

And the battery optimization did not work. My phone did not lock, I was holding it in my hand looking at things and the music just abruptly stopped in the middle of a song. I have a galaxy S23. Thank you!

But when I open the app, the music immediately starts again without me doing anything other than just opening the app.

mod edit: merged comments
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Purplelvr. 👋

Sorry for the continued trouble. 

I would recommend trying out these steps on your Galaxy S23 here. I've included them below as well:

Sleeping Apps Setting:

• You can access this setting in the Device Care menu.
  • Click on Battery, and then, click on More options.
  • Click on Settings > Sleeping Apps
  • From your Sleeping Apps, you should be able to long press Pandora.
  • Once you're able to view the App Usage for Pandora, you'll want to make sure that the put app to sleep button is toggled to the OFF setting.

Additional Troubleshooting:

If you continue to experience issues after disabling battery optimization and adjusting your sleeping apps setting, please try clearing the app data on your Galaxy device: Troubleshooting for Android Devices

Hope this information is helpful. Let us know if the issue persists. 🎧

0 Kudos