cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(RESOLVED) Android: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

Srzvb
Local Performer

I finally gave up tonight and deleted App. Going to be a pain to switch but I’m tired of it turning on by itself, waking me up, and/or draining my battery. Done with it.  Junk app. 

Labels (1)
367 Replies

SnowBuddha
Local Performer

Same problem. I thought this was my phone, as it has been having other issues as well.  Starting a few months ago Pandora just launches itself for no reason I can find. I keep the volume on my phone silent so I really only notice when I have headphones paired. It's not waking me up in the middle of the night like some of you, thankfully.

Today, I received a new Pixel 7.  I installed Pandora, logged in, but then closed out the application.  I've rebooted a few times since then as well.  Never listened to a single song on this phone yet. Suddenly, a short time ago, much to my surprise, Pandora starts playing! So I google the problem and arrive here.

• Your device model: OnePlus Nord N10
  • Carrier: T-Mobile
  • Android version: 11
  • Pandora version: 2308.1
  • The approximate date / time this occurred: Randomly a couple times a week I find Pandora running when it should not be for several months now.
  • Your device model: Pixel 7
  • Carrier: T-Mobile
  • Android version: 13
  • Pandora version: 2308.1
  • The approximate date / time this occurred: 2pm central today.
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

*Please note: This message has been Accepted as a Solution to flag the current steps and/or status of this thread. This post will be updated with more information as it is provided to the moderation team.

Pandora Update (09/21/23): Hey friends 👋

Thank you for sharing your device details as well as your experience. I've updated my original post and removed the request for additional device details. At this time, we've gather enough information to share with engineering team about this issue for them to reliably reproduce on their end.

In the meantime, they are actively working on a resolution and a moderator will update this thread when we have more info to share.  We're grateful for your diligence in spotting this issue. Thanks again for your patience. 🎧

Pandora Update (09/18/23): Hi folks 👋

Thank you for raising the alarm regarding this issue.

Our engineering team is currently investigating. In the meantime, all reports from this thread are being shared on an internal ticket with our tech team. 

Something to note: I've seen a few posts regarding the "AutoStart" setting available for Premium subscribers. This issue is impacting all subscription tiers; adjusting this setting will not resolve the issue. 

While we don't have any new information to share right now, rest assured we will keep you updated on this thread when we do. We appreciate your patience while this is being worked on behind the scenes. 🎧

Pandora Update (09/15/2023): Hi there 👋 

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback about your experience with the Pandora app playing without being prompted. We've shared (and will continue to share) all feedback provided on this thread with our tech team. When we received updates, the moderation team will post them here.

We appreciate your patience during the investigation process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week:New Music: Picks of the Week (04.29.24)

nytemayr
Local Performer

This is true. I will be removing th app also. TOXIC!!!!

0 Kudos

joshuasobieski
Local Performer

When I restart my android phone pandora automatically starts.   I can not find automatic start toggle in advanced settings.   I do not have automatic car pay turned on.....

Longhaultrucker
Underground

If I delete and reinstall the app on my s23 android,  will I loose my Playlist.  If the randomly middle of the night playing needs to stop, or I will end my subscription.  I drive for a living and need my sleep.  Hate to end pandora,  but I will if you guys can't fix this

0 Kudos

kpfanstiel
Local Performer

I'm having the same issue for the last couple of weeks.  I've been woken up twice in the last few days.  Once at 1am and then again today at 5am.  Another time during a work meeting.

I am not a T-Mobile subscriber, but a Verizon subscriber, so it doesn't seem to be tied to carrier.  I am also using an Android device (Samsung S23 Ultra).  

I'm thinking about removing Pandora from my phone until they figure this out.  

0 Kudos

Mike80017
Underground

Mine does it too. It randomly starts playin in the middle of the night the majority of the time and im tired of it wakin up the house

0 Kudos

jvill1
Local Performer

I came here to read comments and find a solution to Pandora auto starting and playing. This has been an issue for years and Pandora doesn't care. But for the past 2 weeks the auto start has been out of control. I've tried everything stated in the threads, pausing, swiping up to close, force stopping, etc. 

However, it continues to auto start and play or run in pause. This past week it started playing at 4am. Yesterday, it turned on and started playing as I was getting in my truck. (after being force stopped that morning) I was on a call for work using ear buds and music started blaring through on my radio and wouldn't switch over because Pandora was playing. That's the final straw. Guess I'll be switching over to Amazon music with my Prime account.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Longhaultrucker. 👋

I know this has been frustrating. You won't lose your playlist or anything related to your account if you uninstall / reinstall or clear your app data. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of folks have their Android set to restart each night (with new updates, etc.) and during the restart Pandora will start playing. Our engineers are still working on this and I'll update this thread here  once it's fixed. 🎧

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @joshuasobieski @jvill1 @Mike80017. 👋

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

Our engineering team is aware of this issue and actively working on a resolution. You can find my status updates on this issue in the accepted solution on this thread. When the moderation team has more info, we will post the update for our fellow community members. Thank you for reporting and for your patience during this process as I understand it's been frustrating. 🎧

Apayton77
Local Performer

I am not a "premium" user  and definitely will not be after this. My phone has randomly been turning on in the middle of the night.  And during the day. Draining my battery.  I have tried running thru the "fixes" nothing works.   I have to turn my phone all the way down every night now, in case it decides to turn on and randomly check my phone at work to make sure it's not on. I really don't want to switch my program.  So I hope this issue gets resolved quickly!

Mike80017
Underground

Yeah that seems like the best way to deal with loyal paying customers. 

TVo
Local Performer

I am uninstalling the app at this point. Auto-play across different platforms has been a nuisance for quite some time. These last few weeks have been unbearable and have convinced me to find another option. Thanks for a great 10+years it's time to find something new.

Bluegold77
Underground

Like everyone else I have the same problem.  As soon as I log into my phone the music starts playing.  I have a Samsung Tracfone.  Also, like everyone else I uninstalled the app and will never use Pandora again.  I have switched to YouTube Music as my now preferred music choice.

TVo
Local Performer

I completely agree - it has been annoying and frustrating for years. These past few weeks finally pushed me to a new product.

Yosemiteken
Local Performer

I'm thinking pandora has had enough complaints to fix this problem. This has been going on for months. I'm sick of the app randomly opening.  It did it in a meeting at work. Unacceptable.  

I'm giving the pandora tech support another week. Then I'm canceling my subscription and getting another app. 

babytraytray
Opening Act

We don't have our phones set to install updates overnight. Still my phone turned on in the middle of the night. The issue isn't with our phones and our settings it is with yours.

CasualGaming
Local Performer

Same issue with auto play when restarting phone and pandora sometimes stays active in background along with banner that shows up in notifications bar after closing app.  I'm on a Samsung ultra s22.  Been having this issue for awhile now.  Hope this gets fixed soon.  I am a premium member and it is a bit annoying.

PHaeLiX
Local Performer

This is a new issue for me, but like everyone else I will be deleting this virus of an app since you can't seem to get it under control.

enargins
Underground

I've had Pandora on my phone for years. No problems. Now the other day it started starting on its own whenever I restart my phone.

Also, if open a news article in Google News it will oftentimes start playing while I'm reading the article, even I didn't do anything and it had been closed.

I tried clearing the data for the Pandora app, as well as making sure that "Launch from car" was disabled under Bluetooth Devices in Pandora options. Even tried enabling it and re-disabling that option. Also uninstalled and then reinstalled the Pandora app. Nothing helped.

I have a Galaxy A13 running Android 13, latest security patch, Pandora version number: 2308.1.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos