cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Station Repetition on Android

robin-king
Opening Act

I noticed the other night when playing Pandora on my cell phone that it plays the same seven or eight songs in a cycle. Can someone tell me why?

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@robin-king With Premium, you do have the option of listening to content on-demand as well as playlists.

For your stations, I do have some suggestions that may help:

1. Create a custom shuffle mix. If you haven't already, try making a custom shuffle. You can include any station you'd like, and this set of stations will be saved as My Shuffle (or QuickMix) on all your devices. Let me know if you'd like the steps for that. 

• You'll then be able to check the boxes next to the stations that you want to include in your custom shuffle, and this set of stations will be saved as My Shuffle (or QuickMix) on all your devices.
  • Unfortunately, for now you won't be able to edit which stations are shuffling directly from our mobile app. In the meantime, you can edit your shuffle from a computer and your selections will carry over. This is a feature we're actively working on improving, so thank you for your patience!

2. Avoid including several stations based on similar artists or songs. Choosing several stations of a similar style will create a repetitive shuffle mix. When selecting stations for shuffle (or when creating any new stations in general) consider selecting artists or tracks that musically contrast. This will yield a broader playlist.

3. Edit individual stations. In some cases, it might actually help to remove Thumbs up ratings from your shuffled stations to mix things up. If there are any Thumbed up songs you used to love, but have grown tired of, try removing those ratings.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @robin-king. 👋

• Are you listening to a station or playlist when this happens?
  • If you're listening to a station, which one?
  • Have any error messages popped up? If so what does it say?

Let me know. 

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

robin-king
Opening Act

No error messages I'm aware of. I'm listening to a station. I have it set to shuffle or whatever passes for shuffle on the Pandora app on Android.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@robin-king Let's try some troubleshooting steps to see if this helps. 

From your Android Settings, please try clearing the Pandora app data using the following steps (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you):*
  1. Open your device Settings
  2. Tap Apps
  3. Scroll down to find Pandora
  4. Select Storage
  5. On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

Keep in mind that the steps for each Android device is slightly different. If you have a Pixel, you can find helpful steps here.

Please note that you will be asked to log into your account after completing these steps.

*Pandora Premium and Premium Family listeners may need to re-download some of their offline content after this. Pandora Plus users, however, should receive that offline content again automatically. 

0 Kudos

robin-king
Opening Act

Tried this and it started playing different songs. However, it played the same song twice in a row, played a load of different songs and then started circling back through those different songs again.

Come one Pandora, surely the randomisation on the mobile app can be better than this!!

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@robin-king Thanks for trying out those steps, and sorry for the continued trouble.

Does this happen on one particular station or multiple stations? 

If so, which ones?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

PSYS
Underground

Over the course of the last week or so, I've noticed 1 of my favorite stations has begun playing the same 3-4 songs.  Opening the station starts with these tracks.  Then another song plays and the same 3-4 tracks start again in the same sequence.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. 

I've signed out and signed back in. 

I've removed the 'thumb up' from these tracks.

I've changed stations and gone back in to the problematic station. 

I do not want to 'turn on' Discovery mode or modify the station as it hasn't been a problem up until a week or so ago.

Next suggestion. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @PSYS. 👋

Sorry to hear that is happening.

I moved your post over to this thread to keep the community space organized. It sounds like you're experiencing some repetition as well.

Which station are you having trouble with on your account?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

PSYS
Underground

Hi there!  Thanks! 

I'm listening to my Classic Rock station (not a playlist).  This station has been with me for the last several years.   No error messages at all. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for providing these details.

I've passed @PSYS and @robin-king's info over to our engineering team to look into.

Appreciate your patience during this process! 🎧

0 Kudos

robin-king
Opening Act

It happens on my Pandora Android app. I assume it is set to shuffle stations or whatever the Android app version of that is, as that's how I always have my Pandora set to.

0 Kudos

robin-king
Opening Act

Good choice of music 🙂

0 Kudos

robin-king
Opening Act

No more ideas? Anyone? Nothing? Gosh. And I'm expected to pay $10/month for the same 8-10 songs being played over and over ... Ummmm ... No ... That won't happen ....

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@robin-king With Premium, you do have the option of listening to content on-demand as well as playlists.

For your stations, I do have some suggestions that may help:

1. Create a custom shuffle mix. If you haven't already, try making a custom shuffle. You can include any station you'd like, and this set of stations will be saved as My Shuffle (or QuickMix) on all your devices. Let me know if you'd like the steps for that. 

• You'll then be able to check the boxes next to the stations that you want to include in your custom shuffle, and this set of stations will be saved as My Shuffle (or QuickMix) on all your devices.
  • Unfortunately, for now you won't be able to edit which stations are shuffling directly from our mobile app. In the meantime, you can edit your shuffle from a computer and your selections will carry over. This is a feature we're actively working on improving, so thank you for your patience!

2. Avoid including several stations based on similar artists or songs. Choosing several stations of a similar style will create a repetitive shuffle mix. When selecting stations for shuffle (or when creating any new stations in general) consider selecting artists or tracks that musically contrast. This will yield a broader playlist.

3. Edit individual stations. In some cases, it might actually help to remove Thumbs up ratings from your shuffled stations to mix things up. If there are any Thumbed up songs you used to love, but have grown tired of, try removing those ratings.

0 Kudos