cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80s music

RLY50
Local Performer

I was a teenager through the 80s and there was certain music I still love today. Pat Benatar being in the top 5. Does any 80s  fans still like Pat Benatar? I dressed up like her for Halloween at age 13. I  had 2 of her albums. I would still love to go to one of  her concerts today. Does she still have concerts? 

21 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @RLY50. 👋

I don't know much about Pat Benatar but I checked out her website, and it does look like she has tour dates available in the South with Neil Giraldo. 

What are some of your favorite 80's songs? 🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

UncleBud
Chart Topper

I was a teen during the 80's. I do like Pat Benetar. I have an Aerosmith station that I think I'll go to and add her to. Just thought I'd respond to another fan.

ChristinaX
Local Performer

Hello RLY. As of 2022 Pat Benatar does still tour. Check out stub hub or Ticketmaster. She was in Florida not too long ago.

After 40 years the music of the 80's is still very popular today, all the FM radio stations here in my area as well as the Capital district area around Albany N.Y. are still playing mostly 80's music. Take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

Without cheating, can anyone name the #1 song of the 80's? Remember, no cheating by looking it up online. When I found out 2 years ago I was very surprised and even shocked. To make this a very fun and even interesting just respond with your very best "GUESS". I will post the answer exactly one week from now, I want to see how many people will respond with an answer. Have a great week, 👍 take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska I don't know if it was #1 or not but "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi was a song I really liked from back in the day. It was pretty popular but I don't know where it ranks.

@UncleBud that was a very popular song, not only in the 80's but even through the 90's. Bon Jovi was very popular and popular on MTV as well as VH 1. I really think @UncleBud that you will be quite surprised of the answer, if you are willing to be patient for the next week. Talk to you soon. 

I also would like to mention you have become a great star here in the community, and that is a great thing, very happy to have you as a regular here. Take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

@UncleBud when I post the answer next week I will also mention the ranking of the song you chose and perhaps choose, you can keep guessing if you so choose to do so. That is entirely up to you. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

kayden_S
Up & Coming Artist

@MOHLovesAlaska 

would the song be thriller by michael jackson?

im askin because i love thriller

ks

@kayden_S hey how are you? You have also become a great star here on Pandora as well. I love the music post you have going here on Pandora. As far as your great guess for your choice of song Thriller by Michael Jackson, that is a great guess, but keep trying. I will tell you the ranking of your choice song next week. I will say this about Michael Jackson's Thiller, it was 44 x's multi platinum and became the 2nd most selling album of all time, 2nd only to The Eagles Greatest Hits collection. A really great guess. 

Take care and stay safe. 

Correction, Michael Jackson's Thriller Album became once again the #1 selling album of all time, surpassing The Eagles Greatest Hits from 72-75'. It once again became #1 shortly after Jackson's death. 

MOHLovesAlaska

kayden_S
Up & Coming Artist

@MOHLovesAlaska im good how are you and how have you been?

ks

@kayden_S I'm great, busy, which is a good 👍 thing. It has been a couple of months since I posted for GSOTD post, and today was my fourth day in a row posting for This Day In The History Of Music, so it has been awhile since I have had the time to post on my threads. I will chat with you soon. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Well, as promised I gave it one week to see how many would respond to the question "What was the #1 song for the 1980's decade?" Unfortunately, we only had two responses. 

@UncleBud his choice song was "Livin' On A Prayer" by Jon Bon Jovi. The song ended in the 1980's at Billboards top 500 at #52. The song was released in October 1986. The song spent two weeks at #1 from January 31st - February 14th, 1987. The song also reached #1 on Billboards Hot Mainstream list. 

Next up was @kayden_S whose song he chose was "Thriller" by Michael Jackson. The album Thriller became the #1 selling album of all time surpassing the Eagle's Greatest Hits Collection 71'-75'. But the song "Thriller" itself only peaked at #4 after sitting in the top 10 for three consecutive weeks. In 1984 a year after the release of the album Thriller, the song Thriller finished as the #78 single on Billboard's Hot 100 for the 1984 charts. At the end of the 1980's decade the song Thriller finished at #452 on the top 500's list. 

Now for the top song for the 1980's decade, to understand how this was judged by Billboards Hot List, the song that remained at #1 for the most consecutive weeks. “Physical”, by Olivia Newton John was the song which remained the longest at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart during the 1980s (10 weeks). And here are the top 5 to end the 1980's top songs.

1). Physical by Olivia Newton John #1 for 10 consecutive weeks.

2). Bette Davis Eye's by Kim Carnes. 

3). Endless Love by Diana Ross & Lionel Richie.

4). Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor.

5). Every Breath You Take by The Police.

The source comes from Billboards top 100 Hot, and Billboards Top 500 of the Decades.

I was really hoping for more responses, but it is what it is. Take care and stay safe. 

P.S. Thank you @kayden_S and @UncleBud for participating in this post. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska I remember all of the Top 5. Really surprised by the results. I kinda thought @kayden_S might have had a Top 5 finish at least. Cool post.

TannerPandora

Wanted to throw Bonnie Tyler out there. Her career spanned a couple of decades but songs like 'Holding out for a Hero' and 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' are amazing. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 08.41.24.png

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@TannerPandora I like "Total Eclipse of the Heart" that's a good song.

TannerPandora

@UncleBud I ended up playing "Holding Out for a Hero" as I made the post. HaHa Now I'm going down a 80s rabbit hole. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

@TannerPandora that is a great song, when it was released in 1983 it spent 4 weeks at #1 on the Billboards Hot 100 list, at the end of the 1980's decade it was placed at #539 on the Billboards Hot 100 list. Depending on what music site you visit, some music writers place this song within the top 500 list, and others place it even further south of the #539 spot. As for me personally, I have this song in my personal playlist. I have the revised version of this song, not the original. The song has been re-done several times, but according to Wikipedia her most successful rewrite was done in 2003. which happens to be the same version I collected. 

VH1 has also placed "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" #82 for all-time love song and video. 

Have a great Thursday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

TannerPandora

Great facts, @MOHLovesAlaska! Is the rewrite in 2003 the one done by Frou Frou? I have that version too. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport